The University of Oklahoma is a research institute located in Norman, Oklahoma, United States. Established in 1890, the university is categorized as a research university with very high research activity by Carnegie Foundation.
The University of Oklahoma offers programs under Atmospheric Sciences, Business, Engineering, Literature, Foreign Languages, Health Sciences, etc. Most popular courses offered by the university are –
- Business. Management and Marketing related programs
- Health Sciences
- Liberal Arts
Why Choose Oklahoma University?
- Ranks 7 among best Graduate Schools in Petroleum Engineering.
- The largest research institute in Oklahoma.
- OU Sooners, the athletic squad of the university competes in NCAA – I.
- More than 400 student clubs.
- Among top 50 public colleges in the U.S. according to U.S News and World Report.
- More than 1000 National Merit Scholars and 29 Rhodes Scholars.
- Alumni include actors, sports persons, politicians and aeronautical engineers.
- Some of the major discoveries by OU scientists include new planets in the Milky Way, antibiotics to fight pathogens, an advanced radar system etc.
University of Oklahoma Schools and Programs
The University of Oklahoma offers 152 bachelor’s programs, 160 master's programs, 75 doctorate programs, and 20 professional programs under the following colleges and schools –
- University College
- College of Architecture
- College of Arts and Sciences
- College of Atmospheric and Geographic Sciences
- Michael F. Price College of Business
- Mewborne College of Earth and Energy
- Jeannine Rainbolt College of Education
- Gallogly College of Engineering
- Weitzenhoffer Family College of Fine Arts
- Graduate College
- Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication
- College of Law
- Honors College
- Reserve Officers Training Corps
- College of International Studies
- College of Allied Health
- College of Dentistry
- College of Medicine
- Fran and Earn Zigler College of Nursing
- College of Pharmacy
- College of Public Health
- College of Continuing Education
University of Oklahoma Campuses and Residences
The main campus of the University of Oklahoma is in Norman spread over 4138 acres. The other campuses are –
- The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Centre in Oklahoma
- The University of Oklahoma in Tulsa
- The University of Oklahoma – Tulsa School of Community Medicine
Housing facilities are offered by the university for students which can accommodate 31% of the total student population.
University of Oklahoma Admission Process
Pre-Requisites for Admission
- Official transcripts
- ACT/SAT Score and GPA of 3.0 out of 4.0 for UG programs; GMAT/GRE for graduate programs
- Letters of Recommendation
- English Language Proficiency Test - TOEFL/IELTS Score
- Documents proving Financial Support
- The applications for UG programs have to be submitted via common applications or coalition.
- The applications for graduate programs are to be submitted on the official website.
- The application fee for UG programs is $90 and for graduate programs is $100.
Application Deadlines for UG programs are –
- Summer – February 1
- Fall – February 1
- Spring – November 1
Application Deadlines for graduate programs are –
- Fall – April 1
- Spring – September 1
- Summer – February 1
University of Oklahoma Cost of Attendance
The estimated annual average cost of attendance of studying at the University of Oklahoma is tabulated below –
|Expenses||Cost in USD|
|Tuition & Fees||28,252|
|Housing & Meals||10,588|
Scholarship, Bursaries and Financial Aids
- Merit-based, grant-based and need-based financial aids are provided to the students.
- About 75% of students receive some form of financial aids.
- Aids are in the form of – scholarships, loans and work-study programs.
- The average need based scholarship offered by the university is of USD 5,627.
University of Oklahoma Alumni
The University of Oklahoma Alumni Association offers career services and workshops to the alumni. Travel programs are offered to the members too.
Some notable alumni of the University Of Oklahoma are –
- Darrell Royal – Former Football Player and Coach
- Dick Armey – Former U.S House Majority Leader
- Olivia Munn – Actress
- James Garner – Actor, Producer, Voice Artist
- Adrian Peterson – Football Player (Minnesota Vikings of NFL)
- Fred Haise – Aeronautical Engineer/NASA Astronaut/naval aviator/test pilot/fighter pilot and one of the 24 people who have reached the Moon.