Harvard Kennedy School: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Established in 1936, Harvard Kennedy School has always stayed focused on its goals to improve public policy and public leadership across the US and around the world. Over the years, Harvard Kennedy School has built a lot to expand their reach, hosted numerous world leaders, improved public policies, and leadership with the help of faculty, staff, and thousands of alumni.
With students over 1,500, the school offers a Masters Degree in Public Policy, Public Administration in International Development grants doctoral programs. Harvard Kennedy School also provides some of the world’s most prestigious doctoral programs, making it one of the best places to pursue higher education in the US. The school will prepare and equip you with skills to improve public policy, help you to develop powerful ideas, and will enhance your capacity to lead.
Harvard Kennedy School Rankings
US news and world report has ranked Harvard Kennedy School as:
- Ranked #3 in Best Public Affairs Programs
- Ranked 2nd in International Global Policy and Administration.
- 3rd in Social Policy.
- 1st in Health Policy and Management.
|Location||Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA|
|Admission Helpline||617-495-1155 Fax: 617-496-1165|
|Mode of Program||Full time/Part-time|
|Cost of Attendance||57, 058 USD on an average|
|Total Number of Students||1,500 approx.|
Harvard Kennedy School Campus
- The institute has its campus in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA.
- The campus consists of several buildings for academic programs, as well as research centers, administrative offices.
- There are several executive classrooms as well as separate space for group work, break-out sessions, meals, and reception.
- Additional resources of Harvard University which have ten schools and the world’s largest library system are located within walking distance.
- It is the ideal spot to access restaurants, museums, shopping malls, theatre, and sporting events.
Harvard Kennedy School Residence
- For most courses, students are accommodated at the Doubletree Hotel. It is a Harvard owned property along the banks of the Charles River.
- Students may choose to stay at shared rooms or enjoy private two-room suites with flexible shared space for socializing, studying, group projects, and dining.
- This collaborative environment offered by Harvard is the key element for executive education experience.
- Shuttles are provided to travel to and from the hotel.
Harvard Kennedy School Programs
- Harvard Kennedy School provides Master's and Doctoral Programs.
- Master in Public Policy.
- Master in Public Administration in International Development.
- Master in Public Administration.
- Mid-Career Master in Public Administration
- If you opt for a doctoral degree at Harvard Kennedy School, then it is for sure you are among one of the extraordinary minds. You will work with faculty members who are leaders in their respective fields.
- The school offers Ph.D. in Political Economy & Government, Public Policy, Health Policy and Social Policy
Harvard Kennedy School Admission Process
For admission to the 2021-2022 academic year, the application will be available from September 2020. The application deadline is early December. The deadline is for Fall enrollment only. Following should be kept in mind while considering applying for admission at Harvard Kennedy School.
Application Portal: Online Application
Application Fee: 100 USD
- Essays have to be submitted. It may vary by program
- Resumes (number may vary by program)
- Letters of Recommendation (3 letters).
- Academic Transcripts
- Work experience of at least 2-3 Years, may vary by program.
- GRE/GMAT Scores.
Requirement for International Applicants:
- Student Visa
- Proof of English Proficiency
- Aspirants must submit TOEFL or IELTS scores if English is not their native language or if their undergraduate degree was not conducted in English.
Harvard Kennedy School Cost of Attendance
Below is the Harvard Kennedy School’s cost of attendance for the Master's Degree Program, the academic year 2020-2021, to help you plan financially before you invest your precious time and money:
|Estimated Living Expense (9months)||21,258 USD|
|Personal Expense and Travel||4,806 USD|
|Books and Supplies||1,548 USD|
Harvard Kennedy School Scholarships
- Presidential Scholarship and Public Service Fellowship
The scholarship amount covers the entire tuition fee of Harvard Kennedy School. The recipients must be professionally employed for 3 years in a public sector post their graduation from Harvard Kennedy School. If they fail to follow the above-stated criteria, they shall repay the entire scholarship amount.
- Dean’s and Kennedy Fellowship
Students with exceptional academic ability and professional excellence are granted this award. It covers 50% of the tuition fees.
- General Scholarships
These scholarships are awarded by the Committee on General Scholarships. They require a specific application: Applying for Financial Aid
Harvard Kennedy School Alumni
Harvard Kennedy School has a very impressive alumni list:
- Ban-Ki-Moon: General Secretary of the United Nations.
- Bryan Stevenson: Human rights lawyer, fights poverty and racial discrimination.
- Klaus Martin: Engineer, Economist, founder and chairman of the World Economic Forum
- Dina Buchbinder: She is tied with the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals, which aim at ending poverty and creating a peaceful world. And the list goes on.
Harvard Kennedy School Placement
Harvard Kennedy School through the career service helps students hone their skills and interests, and articulate them confidently in resumes, cover letters, interviews, and personal statements.
The average annual salary of Harvard Kennedy School students according to the pay scale is 33,000 USD-50,000 USD.
- Legal Assistant (Estimated) - 48,000 USD-89,000 USD
- Research Analyst (Estimated) - 41,000 USD-69,000 USD.
- Staff Assistant (Estimated) - 33,000 USD-55,000 USD.
Application Portal :https://www.hks.harvard.edu/admissions-aid/masters-program-admissions/how-apply
Fall Admissions Deadlines
QS World University
Political Science (International)
Academy Ranking of World Universities
Political Science (International)
Harvard Kennedy School was like a dream for me since childhood. I always wanted to go into the medical and healthcare field because of the fact that I love serving people and want to help people out when they need any kind of medical help. I was from the science stream and completed my high school with a 94% score and then got myself enrolled in the course of B.Pharma at a reputed college. After graduating from college, I applied through the online application portal of the college website which cost me $100.
Course Curriculum :
Our course is a highly interdisciplinary program in which we are trained to develop our specialized skills' needed for a research and teaching career in health policy , Decision Sciences, economics, management, methods for Policy Research, Political Analysis etc .
During my high school days, I was very interested in studying political science and world economics. My interest in international affairs is what led me to study this subject. I got done with my high school with 95% marks and then went to a reputed institution for a B.A in political science and international affairs, after completing that I started working as a freelancer and worked for almost 2 years after which I decided to go for a further study, that is masters in international affairs, which I wanted to do for a very long time. Admission was done through an online application and the application fee was for $100. I was required to submit my resume along with 2 essays.
Course Curriculum :
In our master program, a bachelor's degree is not really enough most of the times the college expects evidences of quantitative proficiency such as success in undergraduate-level economics, statistics, or calculus courses and a minimum professional work experience of 2-3 years is also strongly preferred by our college .
I studied Economics as an undergraduate and graduate and had a keen interest in socio-political effects on the Economy. I introduced to this degree from Harvard when I discussed my passion with my favorite professor and mentor during Graduation. He encouraged me to apply and I did. After graduating with a 3.7 overall GPA I applied to my college through the online application form and submitted $105 as an application fee. Also submitted 3 LOR, CV, writing sample, transcripts, test scores. However, I was lucky to get admitted finally.
Course Curriculum :
Political Economy and Government degree was a blend of political science and economics and everyone had to opt for either political track or economics track. Naturally, I opted for the economics track and fixed my dissertation. It became pretty challenging on 4th year when we had to conduct thorough research and write and present our dissertation before faculty and scholars to get approval and achieve our doctorate degree.