New York University Tandon School of Engineering Courses, Ranking, Admission, Fees, Scholarship
The New York University Tandon School of Engineering popularly known as NYU Tandon is the engineering and applied sciences school of New York University. Tandon is the second oldest private engineering and technology school in the US founded based on a European polytechnic university model in the 1800s. The acceptance rate for the graduate programs in 2020 was 35%.
- Admission at NYU Tandon are granted to about 700 students every year, with a total academic population of 6,301.
- For Fall 2020, the international students represented 91 countries The student body comprises 43% female students.
- Across 11 academic departments, admission to NYU Tandon is granted in 15 Undergraduate, 34 graduate, and 5 online masters programs.
- The admission deadline for fall 2021 at Tandon was February 15, 2020, for full-time courses
29% of recent undergraduates starting salaries are 29% above the national average for STEM making Tandon one of the best engineering colleges in the US.
The school's main campus is in Brooklyn's MetroTech Center, an urban academic-industrial research park. It has been a key center of research in the development of microwave, wireless, radar, electronics in general, polymers, industrial engineering, operations research, and the US space program
|University Enrollment||6,301, UG: 3,458 and PG: 2,843|
|Living Alumni||30,000 in 63 countries|
|Most Represented Countries||China, India, Taiwan, South Korea|
|Average Cost of Attendance||60,575 USD|
|UG-PG Course Ratio||1: 2.6|
NYU Tandon Rankings
- #11 by U.S. News & World Report Best Online Graduate Computer Information Technology Program in 2020
- #37 by U.S. News & World Report Best Online Graduate Engineering Programs in 2020
- #3 by The Princeton Review Top Graduate Schools for Video Game Design in 2020
- #5 by Risk.net's Top 25 quant finance master's programs in the world
- #21 in Construction Week Online -The world's top 25 universities for civil engineering in 2020
- #38 in U.S. News Best Engineering Schools Ranked in 2021.
- #66 in U.S. News 2019 undergraduate engineering programs.
- #65 in 2020 Times Higher Education World University Rankings by subject: engineering and technology
- Ranked #81 in 2020 U.S. News Best Global Universities for Engineering
NYU Tandon Campus
The NYU Tandon School of Engineering main campus is in Downtown Brooklyn and is a 20-minute subway ride from NYU's main campus in Lower Manhattan. In addition to its main address at MetroTech Center in Downtown Brooklyn, the school offers programs in Manhattan. The school is an integral part of NYU Abu Dhabi, NYU Shanghai, and the NYU Center for Urban Science and Progress (CUSP) in downtown Brooklyn.
- The 16-acre $1 billion complexes in Brooklyn includes the school's main campus.
- It also hosts several technology-dependent companies such as Securities Industry Automation Corporation (SIAC), as well as the New York City Police Department's 9-1-1 Center, and operations functions of JPMorgan Chase.
- The Bioengineering Institute research facility is located at 433 First Avenue in Manhattan.
- The School of Engineering and Colleges of Nursing and Dentistry are located in the building. The engineering school also has a location in downtown Manhattan.
- The downtown site offers degree programs in Financial Engineering, Management of Technology, Information Management and Accelerated Management of Technology, and the Exec 21 Construction Management certificate.
NYU Tandon Admission Process
NYU Tandon graduate admissions are competitive. Annually, the university receives nearly 7000 applications for engineering master’s programs and only admits about 35% of those are granted admissions. A strong academic background and recommendations are just the beginning. Tandon makes a comprehensive review of all its applicants and wants to see more than just academic performance and high test scores.
Application Portal: Common application for undergraduates. Program application page for graduates.
- Fall application deadline: February 15
- Spring application deadline: November 15
Application fee: $75
- GRE score: required, 152 verbal, 164 quantitative certain departments may have minimums
- GPA: no min specified
- Language test: required for non-native English speakers; TOEFL, IELTS, CAE, and Pearson PTE Academic scores are accepted
- Statement of purpose
- 2 Letter of recommendation
- Resume stating work experience clearly if any
English Language Requirements at NYU Tandon
Cost of Attendance at NYU Tandon
Tabulated below is the estimated cost incurred by students at NYU Tandon School of Engineering. These figures reflect costs by students on campus, students that live off-campus, will likely need a higher budget.
|Expense||Cost 2020-2021 Academic Year (USD)|
|Tuition and General Fees||35,370|
|On-Campus Room and Board||18,864|
|Travel and Personal Expenses||4620|
|Total Cost for 1 Year||60,575|
Financial Aid by NYU Tandon School of Engineering
NYU Tandon graduate tuition, fees, and living expenses add up quickly but it’s an investment, not just a degree. The university provides scholarships to international students to study in the US based on their academic record and financial status.
Merit-Based Scholarships: International students are likely to receive a merit scholarship from NYU Tandon if they have an exceptional GRE score. Merit scholarships to attend NYU Tandon usually don’t cover the full cost of attendance and they’re not guaranteed.
International Student Loans: International graduate students at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering have the option to borrow an alternative private, non-federal loan with an eligible U.S. cosigner. NYU Tandon admission and financial aid staff are prohibited from serving as cosigners for international graduate student loan applications.
NYU Tandon Alumni Network
- New York University Tandon School of Engineering has just over 33,000 living alumni living in 68 countries as of 2019.
- The school's alumni include inventors, scientists, entrepreneurs, politicians, country presidents, university presidents, academic leaders (including NYU Stern's founder Charles Waldo Haskins), and more than 2,000 CEOs and leaders at large corporations.
- Among its past and present graduates and faculty are at least four Nobel Prize winners, seven National Medals for Science, Technology and Innovation winners, two astronauts, Russ Prize, IEEE Edison Medal, Turing Award, Gordon Prize and Draper Prize winners, and over 100 National Academy of Engineering members.
- Benefits availed by NYU Tandon alumni include NYUAA life insurance of up to $25,000, 15% discount on NYU online store, 15% discount on online learning programs at BSD Education.
NYU Tandon Placements
Where will a degree from NYU Tandon take you? The answer is straight to some of the top companies and organizations in the world.
- As per official placement reports, the average base salary of NYU Tandon graduates in 2020 was $91,434
- 73% of students were employed at Graduation, with 86% employed within 90 days of completing their study in US.
- As far as the location of employment is concerned 72% of graduates were employed within the US.
The Wasserman Center for Career Development offers assistance with additional options specifically for graduate students wondering what after study in the US?
- 82.1% of masters-level students make use of on-campus recruiting services.
- 48.4% of master’s grads actually found their job directly through OCR activities.
- Payscale reports an average $96,000 salary for MS from NYU Tandon. And, the majority of international students secure US employment.
Tabulated below is the placement statistics of top programs at Tandon for the class of 2020:
|Programs||Average Salary (USD)||Top Employers|
|MS Bioinformatics, MS Chemistry, MS Biotechnology||60,000-80,000||Brightedge, Estee Lauder, Pipette|
|MS Civil Engineering||60,000-90,000||AKRF, Arup, SCG America Group|
|MS Computer Engineering||60,000-150,000||Akamai Technologies, BNY Mellon, Amazon|
|MS Computer Science||60,000-200,000||Airwallex, KPMG, Grubhub|
|MS Cybersecurity||60,000-150,000||Apple, American Honda Motors, Bloomberg|
|BS Business and Technology Management||70,000-100,00||Bank of America, Capc, Cargill|
|BS Civil Engineering and BS Construction Management||70,000-80,000||Dynamic Engineering, Geoquip Marine Group|
|BS Computer engineering||60,000-80,000||Accenture, Amazon, Chubb|
|BS Mechanical Engineering||60,000-100,000||AKF, Ant Group, Credit sights|
|BS Applied Physics and BS Mathematics||90,000+||JP Morgan Chase, Leda Health|
NYU hosts a variety of career fairs, including the Fall Job & Internship Fair and the STEM Fall Career Fair. Information on participating recruiters is usually available about a week beforehand on the NYU CareerNet Portal. The CareerNet portal and the Career Fairs Plus app offer students plenty of information as well as useful tips.
Ques. What is the acceptance rate of NYU Tandon School of Engineering?
Ans. NYU Tandon has a student acceptance rate of 35%, with a total student enrollment of 6,301 as of fall 2020.
Ques. What are some popular programs at NYU Tandon?
Ans. Popular programs at Tandon include 1.5-2 years duration MS in Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering and 4-year duration BS in Electrical Engineering and BS in Applied Physics.
Ques. Is NYU Tandon expensive?
Ans. The average cost incurred by a student including tuition fees, travel, accommodation, and other expenses sums to be around 60,575 USD annually.
Ques. Is the GRE required from full-time applicants?
Ans. All full-time applicants must submit GRE scores for consideration. The GRE exam is waived from NYU Tandon CUE alumni with GPA>3.0 as well as part-time applicants.
Ques. What are the admissions requirements for the Masters’s at NYU Tandon?
Ans. All applicants are considered individually for admission at Tandon. A Bachelor’s Degree in the required area of engineering with a strong academic record from an accredited institution is generally required for admission to M.S. programs.
Ques. What are the minimum English language requirements at Tandon School of Engineering?
And. The NYU Tandon School of Engineering requires that graduate applicants achieve a minimum TOEFL score of 90 on the internet-based test, an overall band of 7.0 on IELTS, a 65 on the Pearson PTE Academics exam, or a C1 on the Cambridge English: Advanced exam. TOEFL, IELTS, and PTE scores are valid for two years.
Ques. What is the average salary of an NYU Tandon School of Engineering graduate?
Ans. As per the placement report of NYU Tandon, the average salary offered to an MS graduate ranges from 60,000 to 100,000 USD annually whereas that to an Undergraduate student is between 60,000 to 90,000 USD.
FIND A PROGRAM
Times Higher Education