University of Massachusetts (UMass) Amherst Admission, Criteria & Application Deadlines 2021
University of Massachusetts Amherst is a renowned public research university in Amherst, Massachusetts. It offers a wide range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degree programs through its 9 schools and colleges. Students can choose from 110 bachelor's, 79 master's, 5 associate's and 48 doctoral programs.
University of Massachusetts Amherst has an enrollment of 24,233 undergraduates and 7,409 graduates. In fall 2020, the university received 40,253 first-year applicants of which 65% were accepted. Out of the accepted students, 5,025 students enrolled in undergraduate programs. The enrolled students included around 400 international students from 45 different countries. Looking at the overall acceptance rate, it can be said that the university has a moderately selective admission policy.
Below is an overview of some important details about the process of admission at University of Massachusetts Amherst:
- The university accepts applications for the fall and spring semesters.
- The regular admission application deadline for first year students seeking admission to the University of Massachusetts Amherst is January 15.
- Admitted students had an average GPA of 3.93 and average SAT score 1290 or average ACT score of 29.
- TOEFL/ IELTS scores are accepted as proof of English language proficiency. The university is temporarily accepting Duolingo English Test scores.
- Applicants in high school outside the U.S. must submit national or state exam results for admission.
- The university does not require an interview for admission. However, international applicants are advised to submit a third-party unscripted interview.
- Some graduate programs require GRE/ GMAT scores for admission.
- Applicants who require a F-1 visa must submit relevant financial documents after receiving the offer for admission.
|Application Fee (non-refundable)||80 USD|
|English Proficiency||TOEFL/ IELTS Scores|
|Average GPA||3.90 (UG Level)|
|Admission Interview||Required for international students|
|Types of Programs||Full time/ part-time|
|Mode of Payment||Online payments allowed|
|Academic Calendar||Semester based|
|Intake Sessions||Fall and Spring Semester|
University of Massachusetts Admission Deadlines
First-year and transfer applicants are to take note of the following application deadlines for the fall and spring semesters:Fall (September) Semester:
|Admission Type||Application Deadline|
|First-Year Early Action||November 5|
|First-Year Regular Decision||January 15|
Spring (January) Semester:
|First-year and Transfer||October 1|
Application deadlines for graduate applicants vary by program for the fall semester. The graduate application deadline for the spring semester is October 1.
University of Massachusetts International Student Admissions
International students make up an integral part of the student community at UMass Amherst. Students from over 70 countries all over the world study here. The International Programs Office offers special assistance to international students with regard to the admission process, visa applications etc.
Application Portal: Common Application
Application Fee: 80 USD
International applicants are required to submit the following academic documents during the application process
- Official Transcripts & degree certificates
- Standardized Test Scores
- English Proficiency Test Scores
- Letters of Recommendation (1 for UG)
- Statement of Purpose (graduate-level students)
- Portfolio of Work (if required)
- Admission Interview (optional)
Apart from academic documents international students also have to submit the following
- Bank Statement/ Sponsorship Letter
- Intent to enrol letter
- Copy of valid passport
- Students can apply online via the Common Application portal or the university portal.
- They should be careful to submit all application-related documents within the final deadline.
- Admission decisions are announced online on the Students Status Page.
- Students who receive an admission offer are required to revert to the university with an “ Intent to Enrol” letter and submit an enrolment deposit as well.
- Post admission international students should apply for a Form I-20 from the university.
Architecture, art, dance, and music majors should file an admission application with the Admissions Office early to facilitate the audition or portfolio review process. The institute codes are: SAT: 3917, ACT: 1924, Federal School: 002221
English Proficiency Requirement for International Students
International students may submit test scores of the following exams to prove their proficiency in English
|Test Name||Min Score Required- UG Level||Min Score Required- PG Level|
Students may also prove their proficiency in English by demonstrating 4 years of secondary school education in English or by appearing for an unscripted admission interview.
Visa Process for International Students
International students intending to pursue long time education in the USA are usually required to possess a valid F-1 visa issued by the US Immigration Office. Students are required to submit the following documents in order to obtain a student visa
- Form I-20 issued by the University of Massachusetts
- Valid Passport
- Proof of Financial Ability- Bank statement, sponsorship letter etc.
Visa processing can often take time. Hence students are advised to apply for a visa at least 3 months before the start of their semester.
University of Massachusetts Undergraduate Admissions
University of Massachusetts undergraduate admissions are offered in 100+ degree programs offered at its 9 schools and colleges. Details about the undergraduate application process is mentioned below
Where to Apply: Common Application
Application Fee: 85 USD
Admission Requirements: To apply for undergraduate admission into UMass Amherst, the following requirements must be fulfilled:
- Completed application
- Official high school transcripts from class 9-11
- Official transcripts for all coursework completed
- Letter of recommendation
- SAT I or ACT scores (optional)
- Senior first term grades for early action applicants
- English proficiency test requirements (for non-native English speakers)
- Audition/ portfolio for applicants seeking majors in Architecture, Dance, Art, and Music
- High school unit requirements including:
- 4 units of English
- 4 units of Mathematics (Algebra II minimum)
- 3 units of Natural Science (including 3 labs)
- 2 units of Social Science (including one course in U.S. history)
- 2 units of Foreign Language (should be same language)
- 2 units of Electives (from areas above, arts and humanities, or computer science)
The class profile of fall 2020 entering class is given below:
|Average high school GPA||3.93 on 4.0|
|Average SAT score||1290|
|Average ACT score||29|
University of Massachusetts Graduate Admissions
At the graduate level, the University of Massachusetts offers 70+ masters-level programs. The application deadline, requirements etc. vary according to the individual program being applied to.
Where to Apply: UMass Graduate Online Application
Application Fee: 80 USA
Although individual application requirements vary according to programs, some common requirements include
- Online Application
- Application Fee
- Official Transcripts
- Bachelors Degree Certificate
- Personal Statement
- Updated Resume
- Letters of Recommendation
Program-specific admission requirements for certain graduate-level programs are mentioned below
|Requirements||Computer Science (M.S)||MBA||Engineering Management (M.S)||Economics (M.A)||Electrical & Computer Engineering (M.S)|
|Full-Time Duration||2 years||2 years||2 years||2 years||2 years|
|Admission Deadline||Fall- December 15
Spring- October 1
|Round 1: December 1
Round 2: February 1
|Fall: June 1
Spring: October 1
|January 15||Fall: January 15
Spring: October 1
|Letters of Recommendation||2 Required||2 Required||2 Required||2 Required||2 Required|
|GRE/ GMAT Score||GRE Required||GRE/GMAT Required||For dual degrees only||GRE Required||Optional|
|Additional||Not required||Resume, interview||Resume||Not required||Resume|
The University of Massachusetts offers admission to a wide variety of degree programs. Students who follow all admission procedures and qualify in the eligibility criteria have over 60% chances of being accepted. International students should complete their application procedures early so as to receive the Form I-20 and be able to apply for a student visa to the USA.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. How to find out if I have received merit-based/ need-based financial assistance?
Ans, Students qualifying for financial assistance will be able to view a link for the financial award on their online SPIRE portal.
Q2. Can I change my major after admission?
Ans, Students may request a major change via an email to the Admissions Office. Decisions regarding the major change will be announced by the University by May 1 at the latest.
Q3. What is the deadline for submitting the final transcripts?
Ans, Students are required to submit all official transcripts before July 1. Student printed transcripts will not be accepted by the university.
Q4. What is the deadline for accepting an offer of admission?
Ans, Students are required to respond to admission offers by May 1 or within 2 weeks after April 15.
Q5. Am I allowed to defer my admission for a later semester?
Ans, The University of Massachusetts does not allow admission deferrals under normal circumstances. However, students intending to start their studies in fall 2020 may defer their studies by 1 semester only.
Q6. What is the process of cancelling my admission?
Ans, Students may cancel their admission offer by clicking this link and selecting ‘I would like to decline my admission offer’