Amherst College: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Located in Amherst, Massachusetts, Amherst College is a private college that was founded in the year 1821 and is one of the oldest colleges in the country. It has a rural setting campus that has a total enrollment of 492 students and has an international student population of 9% from 54 different countries around the world seeking to study in the USA.
The college is a renowned name in the US Education System that has quite an impressive financial aid program in the country. Students that meet the requirements and are admitted will be helped financially by the college. It has a student-faculty ratio of 7:1, making it one of the lowest private institution student-faculty ratio. It also has an impressive graduation rate at 95% which is higher than the national average.
The college offers four-year Undergraduate programs in more than 40 different majors. The programs of Amherst College include, but are not limited to, Engineering, Liberal Arts, Agriculture, and Business. The College is a part of Five College Consortium which gives the students the permission to attend classes in other colleges which are a part of the Consortium leading to great exposure.
With an acceptance rate of 13%, Amherst College admissions are available for the intake of Fall session with early and regular deadlines. The institute's 84% of classes have fewer than 30 students. Also, there are 209 full-time instructional faculty in fields of study: arts, humanities, social science and natural science.
- Ranked 12th in Best Undergraduate Teaching
- Ranked 3rd in Best Value Schools
- Ranked 2nd in National Liberal Arts College
- Ranked 18th in Most Innovative Schools
- Ranked 3rd in Learning Communities
|Year of Establishment||1821|
|Type of University||Private|
|First-year retention rate||96%|
|No. of Courses||More than 850|
Campus and Accommodation
- Amherst College has a campus size of 1,000 acres which includes a wildlife sanctuary of about 500 acres, located at Amherst, Massachusetts.
- The students run over 100 clubs and organizations on campus. At Amherst, you can be a part of Religion and Spirituality, Sports, Nightlife and other interesting lifestyles.
- A new hub for student life is going to be built to offer a space for the students to enhance their academic and social skills. It is also going to be a sustainable design.
- The areas of attraction of Amherst include, Local Lodging, Restaurants, Town of Amherst, the City of Northampton and some of the most important museums- Emily Dickinson museum, Mead Art museum and Beneski museum of natural history.
- The College also highly focuses on fitness with its fitness centres on campus, healthy meal plans made available, helping with sleep issues, etc. They also have a Health Center to take care of students’ needs relating to Dental Referrals, Eye Health, Eating Disorders, Nutrition Evaluation, Prescriptive Services, and much more.
- The fitness centre at the campus includes club sports, intramurals, recreation, athletics department, and other fitness services such as yoga, HIIT class, swimming, gymnasium, etc.
- The students have access to town life for various other recreational activities such as arts & museums, concerts, cinema, restaurants & coffee shops, Pubs, etc.
- For the more outgoing and adventurous students, activities such as hiking, fishing, boating, is also accessible at Amherst College Wildlife Sanctuary. Students can also go bicycling, jogging or cross-country skiing with the Rail Trail of Norwottuck Rail Trail.
- Students can use transportation services offered by Pioneer Valley Transit Authority which are buses that can take you around just by showing your student ID. A Zipcar Program subscription, students also can have access to cars parked on campus. Other transportation means include trains, shuttles, buses. Etc.
- Amherst College has a total of 34 residence halls for accommodation, in which 98% of the student population lives on campus..
- Seven out of those halls are reserved for first-year students.
- A few categories of accommodations provided include Single Room, 1st Floor Location, Air-Conditioned rooms, Animal Supported Accommodations, etc.
- There is also an option for women only housing in 3 buildings.
- The room assignments are made through a placement process and not the selection process.
- The students residing on-campus also have accessibility services and dining services that provide dining customized dining plans taking into consideration allergies, medical conditions, and other reasons for a restricted diet.
- Students have amenities such as local storage, campus storage, and laundry facilities.
- And if they choose to live off-campus, they can opt for it in the housing application and can do so if the application is approved by the authorities. Living off-campus can be difficult for students, considering cost and availability.
|Type of Room||Fee Rates|
- Amherst University offers a range of courses for international students including about 40 majors in the fields of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities.
- Amherst offers a total of 850 programs and more than 6,000 courses through five college consortiums.
- Some of their popular programs include Mathematics, English Literature, Research & Experimental Psychology, Political Science, Economics, etc.
- Students can opt for more than one major at this college, or undertaking honours in their own field.
- Other interesting programs offered by the College are Interdisciplinary Major Programs, Astronomy Program, Creative Writing Center and other five college programs which include certificate programs as well.
- Some certificate programs include International Studies, Logic, Sustainability Studies, etc.
Amherst College Application Process
How to apply?
Application portal: Common Application, Coalition Application or QuestBridge Application.
Application Fee: Non-refundable 65 USD
Early Decision: November 16
Regular Decision: January 4
English Proficiency Test Scores:
|TOEFL (Home Edition)*||25 or above|
|TOEFL ITP for China*||Listening – 64
Structure and Written Expression – 64
Reading – 63
|IELTS Academic||7.5 overall band score|
|IELTS Indicator||7.5 overall band score|
*Accepted due to the COVID-19 pandemic
Standardized Test Scores:
|SAT||1390 – 1540|
|ACT||31 – 34|
Basic Admission Requirements
- Complete application
- Application fee
- High School score
- Official High School Transcripts
- SAT (middle 50%): Reading and Writing: 700-770; Math: 720-790
- ACT (middle 50%): Composite: 30-34; English: 32-35; Math: 28-34
- Mid-year school report form
- Mid-Year Transcript
- Proof of English Proficiency
- Counsellor Recommendation
- Two letters of recommendations by two teachers
- Early Decision Agreement, if applicable
- First marking period grades from the senior year (Early decision students)
- Writing Supplement
- Copy of Passport and Visa
- Other additional course specific requirements
Amherst College Cost of Attendance
All the aspirants of Amherst College must play their finacaices way in advance when enrolling at the institute. The distribution of expenses in the form of an estimated budget for international students looking to study in the US is as mentioned below.
|Room & Board||USD 7,955|
|Books and Supplies||USD 1,000|
|Other Student Fees||USD 1,000|
|Health Insurance*||USD 2,358|
|Tuition insurance*||USD 118 (per semester)|
|Personal Expenses||USD 1,800|
*May be waived
Scholarships/Financial Aid for international students
- The institute offers various kinds of financial support like awards and scholarships for international students to study in the USA.
- According to Amherst University, the college awarded approximately USD 60 million as scholarships to meet the financial needs of the students. About 60% students receive financial aid which leads to students paying far less as compared to the tuition fee.
- Students are offered financial aid on the basis of their financial need. These can come in the following to types: a. Scholarships and Grants; or Self Help.
- Students that do not require a bigger financial need will be provided with a self-help option where they will be given employment by the college, which will go into payment of the fee.
- Students in need for higher financial aid will be given an option of self-help along with some financial aid to pay the rest.
- Students are required to apply the CSS Profile Form to be considered.
Also, Amherst College is one of the five US institutions that provide need-blind admission and full-need financial aid to its students.
- 57,700,000 USD is for Scholarships and Grants
- 974,000 USD is for Loans
- 1,742,000 USD is for Student Employment
Amherst has a strong alumni network with 23,000 alumni members spread all across the world. Several events of the College, like- Reunion, Family Weekend, Regional events and other such activities, helps these alumni to always be in contact with each other.
Benefits of alumni:
- Access to the Library and its resources
- Access to college and student publications
- College Merchandise
- Career Advice through career counselling
- Updates on class news
- Alumni Directory
- Dan Brown: Author, “Angels and Demons”
- Calvin Coolidge: 30th President of United States
- Albert II of Monaco: Former monarch of Monaco
- Larry Miller: Actor, Seinfield
- Harlan F. Stone: 12th Chief Justice of Supreme Court
The Amherst College Loeb Center for Career Exploration and Planning staff helps the students with career testing, counselling, resume and cover letters, mock interviews, interviewing tips, jobs and internship search assistance, professional development, and graduate and professional school advising.
Career fairs and Expos also take place frequently. It utilizes Handshake as a mode of communication between students and recruiters. International students preferring to work in the country after completion of their program will be guided by the staff for converting your student visa into work visa as well.
Find a Program
Application Portal :https://www.amherst.edu/admission/apply/firstyear
Early Action Deadlines
Regular Decision Deadlines
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
This is one of the best colleges of liberal arts and is also competitive yet the college provides a great infrastructure and career advancement opportunity so I decided to apply to the college. I applied to it online through a common application portal for an application fee of $65.
Course Curriculum :
The course has many different aspects. On one end it focuses on programming language and version control system while on the other it deals with web development or android development. The scopes of these fields are huge, however.
Being an art student, I was really keen to build my career in the field of political science. I decided to pursue my career by applying to the Amherst College of the USA. I had selected this college as it supported a diverse student body, along with emerging as the leader of the nation. After securing a GPA of 6 in my bachelor's degree, I had applied at the college through an online application form. The application fee was around $65.
Course Curriculum :
My course treats the study of politics as a liberal art, offering us new perspectives on political phenomena. My program provided three broad areas of study -political theory, domestic politics and state-society relations, and international politics and practices. I had even studied theoretical assumptions that underlie political life and examined different institutional arrangements and political practices.
Many students opt to study abroad courses in order to have better facilities, quality education or to get settle. I did it because I wanted to make my CV better. After applying in four to five colleges I took admission to Amherst College. The college runs a unique concept of shopping period, in which students have a few days to try out classes and get a taste of the material being taught and the professor's method of teaching
Course Curriculum :
A diverse, rigorous, and engrossing course curriculum is provided to study.
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary