Bishop's University Ranking, Programs, Admission Process & Living Cost
The Bishop’s University was established in 1843 as Bishop's College. Bishop’s University is one of three universities in the province of Quebec that teach primarily in English. Bishop’s University is located in Lennoxville, Quebec, Canada. The university offers small, mainly undergraduate university with a close-knit student community. BU has around 2800 students from all over the globe and offers around 105 programmes in most areas of study at undergraduate level.
Ranking and Standings
- The Bishop’s University is ranked at 61st place in Canada.
- As per World Universities Ranking for 2018, The university is in 501-600 category.
- As per Maclean’s Universities Ranking for 2018, The university is in ranked first in Student Satisfaction, Library Expenses
- The Bishop’s University is ranked first in The Globe and Mail, for its student satisfaction and third for Residence living.
- The University also has an affiliation with AUCC, IAU, CBIE, CUP and QSSF.
- Established in 1843, Bishop’s University is older than Canada itself.
- BU offers courses for undergraduate students mainly.
- The campus is home to the oldest nine-hole golf course in Canada.
- Offers cool courses related to Sports System and Policy
- Strong and powerful alumni network.
|Type of university||Non-Denominational|
|Programs||More than 100|
|Number of Undergraduate Students||Around 2800|
|Part-time Undergraduate and Special Interest Students||269|
|Number of International Students||120|
|Basic Tuition Fee, Undergraduate International Students||CAD 30,685|
|Languages for Courses||English|
|Test Scores Accepted||GMAT, TOEFL, IELTS and GRE|
International Student Intake Stats
- As of August in 2017, 22% of total students are from outside.
- 5% of the students are International Exchange Students
- 17% of total population is of International Degree Students.
Given below is the Source Countries of the International Students
|Origin||%age of total population|
Campus tour of Bishop’s University
- The Bishop’s University campus is located on 500 acres of land in Lennoxville, Quebec, Canada.
- The campus is at the junction of the St. Francis and Massawippi rivers in the Eastern Township region of Quebec.
The notable buildings at the campus are:
- McGreer Hall
- Bishop Williams Hall: Bishop Williams Hall is a lecture and presentation hall.
- Bandeen Hall
- Centennial Theatre
- John Bassett Memorial Library
- Art Gallery
- Nicolls Building
- Old Lennoxville Golf Club: The campus features a golf course and club: The Old Lennoxville Golf Club.
- St. Mark's Chapel
Choose your Programs
- The Bishop’s University offers 105 programs through three faculties and schools: Faculty of Arts and Science, the Williams School of Business, and the School of Education.
- Faculty of Arts and Science includes the divisions of the Humanities, Natural Sciences and Mathematics, and Social Sciences
- The University awards undergraduate, graduate, Honours, and Minor degree. BU also offers Certificates, Micro-programs and Diploma programmes.
Be a Part of BU
The application process for the Bishop’s University is quite easy for international applicants. Here are a few common steps that one has to follow to fill in the application form.
- Visit the official website of Bishop’s University and click on “Apply Now.”
- Select the application form that you want to apply for.
- Complete the application form and submit it electronically.
- You will then be redirected to the payment page.
- Submit an application fee of CAD 65 via credit card.
- After the payment, you will have the option to upload supporting documents for your application.
If you do not have the documents ready, you can submit them later directly to the Admissions Office by email (email@example.com), or in person during regular office hours, or by post to the following address:
“Bishop’s University – Admissions Office
2600 rue College
Sherbrooke, QC J1M 1Z7
- After the submission of your application, you will receive an email with your log-in credentials to access your myBU Portal.
- Track the status of your application.
- All the documents and application will be reviewed before offering final Admission letter.
International Students will need these two documents along with the other required documents to study in Québec:
- Certificate of Acceptance/Certificat d’acceptation(CAQ) from The provincial Ministry of Immigration, Diversity, and Inclusion (MIDI).
- Study Permit/Permis de séjour from The federal Department of
- Citizenship and Immigration Canada
- Students are required to submit the photocopy of each document in the first week of the semester at the Admissions office.
Fees and Expenses
In an academic year, There are two semesters at the undergraduate level. Students will have to pay the fee of before the start of each semester. The deadline dates are listed below for each term.
- Winter: December 15
- Spring / Summer: May 1
- Fall: August 15
Given below is the tuition and fees structure for the 2017-18 academic year:
|Details||1 credit*||h30 credits*||Compulsory Fees|
|Other Canadian and French Citizens||$246.76||$7,402.80||$1,431.54|
|International Citizens (Drama, Fine Arts, Music, Computer Science, Natural Sciences)||$609.62||$18,288.60||$1,431.54|
|International Citizens Business cohort 2017||$700||$21,000||$1,431.54|
Note: A normal course per semester will be worth 3 credits and most of the students usually take 5 courses per semester for a total of 30 credits in one academic year.
|Quebec Residents||$79.70 / credit|
|Other Canadian and French Citizens||$306.87 / credit|
|International Citizens (except Business cohort 2017)||$681.24 / credit|
Total Fee Estimate
Note: All the cost is as per the 2017-2018 academic year. Costs may fluctuate based on the academic programme, number of courses taken, style of residence and meal plan chosen. All costs are shown in Canadian dollars (CAD).
- Bishop’s University offers residence to the students both on and off campus.
- There is a guarantee residence for the students of first-year who meet the application deadline.
- The university has also tied up with local city authorities and companies to provide suitable accommodation to the students.
- Rooms are available on first come first serve basis.
Some of the notable alumni are mentioned below:
- Former Quebec Premier Jean Charest
- Camille Leblanc-Bazinet - Fittest Woman on Earth, 2014 Reebok Crossfit Games
- Jean-Christophe Beaulieu, Canadian football player
- Sylvain Charlebois, Dean, researcher, columnist, La Presse and Globe and Mail, Dalhousie University
- Douglas Abbott — Former Minister of National Defence and Minister of Finance, Former Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada
FIND A PROGRAM
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
MS in this university is renowned across the entire canada. Quality education, easy access to immigration, relatively low tuition fees were some of the key considerations while choosing.
Course Curriculum :
Yes, it gives a good exposure to computer science advance topics such as AI, Machine Learning, Software Techniques, IOT and much more.
I wanted to study at Bishop's University ever since I heard about it from my elder sister who also studied there. I scored a good percentage in my high school which helped me in getting admission to Bishop's University. I paid $65 as an application fee and enrolled myself online.
Course Curriculum :
The course covered a lot of important topics that were helpful to us if we wanted to continue studying or pursue a job in the same field. The topics covered were managerial accounting, management information systems, organizational behavior, etc.
It was a small school that advertised small class sizes and the ability to work with your professors. You have the chance to know everyone and get a different experience because of this. There are some world-class professors for the politics program as well. They also bring in a lot of speakers and workshops for the students.
Course Curriculum :
So far the course curriculum has broadened my idea and knowledge surrounding politics and international relations.
I opted for this particular university because they gave me a good scholarship and because I have more oportunities of academic growth. I also liked the small campus and how this makes students more involved of the campus activities. Profesora get to know you in a more personal level and actually have time outside of class to help you and make sure you are doing good in your classes.
Course Curriculum :
It is tough but some professors want you to do well and offer help outside of class
Because of its family vibe and small community. The teachers know the students by their name and they are not just a number. It is a safe school and offers a great variety of programs. I really wanted to concentrate in international business and human resources but couldn't decide which one, so here I was able to take two.
Course Curriculum :
The curriculum is very well structured and is built so that the courses work up in hardness. They are well structured so that the students learn from the different modules. The modules are very easy to follow and great.
- Book Store
- Bus Station
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary