Columbia College Ranking, Programs, Admission Process & Living Cost
Columbia College (Est. 1936) is one of the state’s most beautiful community colleges that welcomes more than 1000+ student intakes every year. The college currently ranks #47 Regional Universities South (U.S. News 2021) amongst all the universities in Canada.
Columbia College’s Associate Degrees for Transfer, Associate in Arts Degrees, Associate in Science Degrees, Certificates of Achievement, or Skills Attainment Certificates, will help students prepare for a career path and increase their opportunities for the future.
Why Choose Columbia College?
- The college’s transferable courses connect students to universities like Simon Fraser University, UBC, McGill etc.
- It has constantly been one of the top three providers of international students to University of British Columbia.
- This college is a part of the Student Partner program (SPP) in India and China.
- Statistics given by British Columbia Council on admission and transfer depicts that this college has an exceeding rate of admissions into the university
|Tuition fees for International students||12,440 CAD|
|Total student intake||1800|
|Exams accepted||TOEFL, IELTS, GRE, High school qualifications.|
|No. of campus||2|
|Types of courses offered||University transfer program Associate degree program High school program Academic ESL|
|Sessions||Summer session Winter session|
Columbia College Programs
Students can choose from the below mentioned programs:
- University Transfer Program
- Associate Degree Program
- High School Program
- Academic ESL
Of all the programs, the largest number of international students apply and enroll for Columbia College Associate Degree Programs. The courses are designed as equivalents for Year 1 and Year 2 of a four-year UG degree program.
Presently, the two types of associate programs- Associate of Arts Degree and Associate of Science Degree. The subjects include Business Administration, Computer Science, Economics, Psychology, Mathematics, etc.
Columbia College Campus and Accommodation
- Columbia College is a 73,000 square foot five-story building situated in Vancouver, BC.
- Campus is located on Terminal Avenue, two blocks away from Science World and Main Street sky train station.
- Located near Main street skytrain station, it makes it easier for students to travel.
- Located across the street of Main Campus is the newly built campus known as North Campus. It offers the same programs offered by Main Campus.
While the college doesn't have any on-campus accommodation for students. Therefore, international students are required to explore homestays:
- If the students require residence near the campus then college can arrange it with one of their volunteering or host families home, where the students will be provided with a comfortable room and 3 meals per day.
- Students need to pay a one-time placement fee to college and per month rent to the family.
- Each family has been selected and visited by college representatives ensuring the warm environment and comfortable stays.
Columbia College Admissions
Columbia College invites applications from international students for all the three intake sessions. The pre-application process & post-admission process is similar for international as well as domestic students.
As discussed, admission at Columbia College takes place in Fall, Winter, and Summer session. The deadlines for applications are:
- Fall 2021 Semester: June 30, 2021
- Winter 2022 Semester: November 16, 2021
- Summer 2022 Semester: March 15, 2021
Note: Application deadlines for Winter and Summer 2021 sessions are now closed.
How to Apply?
- While applications can be submitted online or offline, international students must use the online application portal only.
- Complete the application form and submit the following documents:
- Academic transcripts from high school
- High school graduation certificate (for University programs)
- Copy of bio-data page of the passport
- English Language test scores ( IELTS/TOEFL). Check: Columbia College Language Requirements
- Submit the documents and pay the application processing fee of 200 CAD.
- Once you receive the admission offer, deposit the tuition fees of 13,200 CAD (covering 24 credits over two semesters along with activity fees).
- Post confirmation, an official letter of acceptance will be issued to you.
- International students can then begin their application for the Canada student visa (Study permit). It must be noted that the applicants must allow sufficient time for processing of the Permit.
Note: Study Permits are not necessary for ESL whose duration is equal to or less than six months. Furthermore, Columbia College takes active participation in the Student Direct Stream (SDS) in countries like India, China, Vietnam and the Philippines. The students of these countries are highly encouraged to apply for their study permit under the SDS.
Cost of Attendance
|Program||Duration||Annual Fees (in CAD)|
|University Transfer||1 Year or 30 Credits||$16,050|
|University Transfer||2 Year or 60 Credits||$ 32,100|
|Associate Degree||2 Year or 60 Credits||$ 32,100|
Cost of Living
The cost of living for a University Transfer or Associate Degree Students is mentioned in the table below:
|Expense Type||Annual Cost (in CAD)|
|Room and Board||11,100|
|Books and Supplies||1,800|
Columbia College Scholarships
Presently, Columbia College is offering a limited number of scholarships and awards to domestic and international students.
|Scholarship Name||Scholarship Award||Scholarship Eligibility|
|Columbia College Entrance Scholarships||5000 CAD||Awarded to students with outstanding academic records|
|Outstanding Student Scholarship||5000 CAD||Awarded to academically excellent students enter in a UT program;
Commencing studies in Winter session
|The Gary Swanson English Preparation Scholarship||2000 CAD||Awarded to students of University Preparatory English class|
|The John Helm Memorial Scholarship||5000 CAD||Granted to an extraordinary student in the Math/Sciences stream|
|The Jason Graham Memorial Scholarship||5000 CAD||Granted to a brilliant student in the Social Sciences stream|
Columbia College Alumni
Alumni of Columbia College are offered several benefits such as career services and legacy scholarships. Some of the most notable Alumni are:
- Scott Adsit – Actor
- Len Amato – President, HBO
- Mauro Fiore - Academy Award-winning cinematographer (Avatar)
- Hal Haenel - Executive Vice President and General Manager of Studio Operations, 20th Century Fox
- Christopher Harvengt - Emmy award-winning sound editor for Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey.
Thousands of International as well as domestic students successfully earned their qualifications at Columbia College and utilized these as a platform for brilliant University careers. Columbia College mainly shortlists candidates on the basis of the score in various English Language Examinations like IELTS, TOEFL as well as High School qualifications.
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
What makes Columbia so special is it's location. BC is one of the fast progressing regions in North America and new jobs related to the field of psychology grow too as new companies set up shop in the region. Second, the flexibility the college provides so Students can either choose their own courses accordingly if they wanna transfer to a better uni or call it quits and enter the job market with an associate degree from one of the top colleges in BC.
Course Curriculum :
The course work is drawn up taking psychology in mind, so topics related to Human Behavior, mental processes, professional communication etc. make up the core of the program. 60 credits are needed to complete the requirements for an associate's. So after core courses, we pick electives which are basically easier courses and are meant to fill that void for remaining credits. These courses should be chosen carefully if a student wishes to complete their bachelors degree in the same major after completion.
I chose the college because i wanted to pursue economics degree in Canada.
Course Curriculum :
the course syllabus is relevant, appropriate and learning at the same time.
Columbia is one of the cheapest schools in Vancouver. An associate degree allows me to save money that i can put in the future for my bachelors at universities such as SFU or UBC. Columbia also has a good amount of international students ( mostly Indian). Columbia college also had a pretty chilled out schedule with about 3 days a week of classes during my 1st and 2nd sem which was great for any international student working to earn a living.
Course Curriculum :
I have to accept that the curriculum somewhere didn't meet my expectations. I personally think that the program is a bit more hyped than required. The good thing was the cut down on math when compared to other schools in BC but the data structures and algorithms are mostly same as other universities. When it comes to relevance, yes the course content will be useful for someone to make a beginning leap in the field of CS.
Cultural diversity and engaging with students of different backgrounds and easy availability of the courses.
Course Curriculum :
Experiments and practical--Chemistry labs and Computer programming English and arts' research essays visit the art gallery engagement in writing poetry
I had always dreamt of studying in the west after school and Canada was one such country I had preferred. I had completed my online application much before the deadlines. I had submitted, notarized copies of my original high school transcripts along with a $200 application fee.
Course Curriculum :
My coursework was of extremely high standards and it enabled me to gain the necessary 60 credits I needed to transfer to one of the top Canadian universities.
- Bus Station
- Train Station
- Shopping Mall
- Book Store
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary