Dawson College: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Dawson College is an eminent English language CEGEP (College of General and Professional Education) located in the heart of Montreal, Canada. Presently, it is the largest CEGEP in the whole of Quebec, and also comprises one of the largest inter-collegiate programs in Canada.
Dawson College offers 26 programs in total, 5 Pre-University Programs and 21 Technical Courses. The Pre-University Programs prepare students for their future endeavors in Universities and are of a 2 years duration. The technical Programs train students to directly enter into the job market and are of a duration of 3 years. It also provides unique services like peer tutoring program, career counseling and planning and a special transitional facility for newcomers.
The college aims to provide premium quality education to its students by adopting innovative teaching approaches. Since its inception in the year 1968, Dawson College has championed a kind of amalgamation with the cultural fabric of Montreal and has established its reputation as a popular place to study in Canada.
- Dawson College ranks 78th in the Consensus World University Rankings for Canada, thereby making it a part of the best 100 universities/colleges of Canada.
- The CEGEP Ranking Program of Quebecor bestows Dawson College with the 1st rank in Science and Social Science’.
- According to the CEGEP Ranking Program, Dawson college ranks 2nd in Mechanical Engineering Training.
|Total Number Of Students||11,000|
|Programs Offered||Pre-University and Career/Technical|
|Cost Of Attendance||20,391 CAD|
|On-campus Housing||Not Available|
|Financial Aid||Available In The Form Of Grants, Loans And Scholarships.|
Dawson College Campus
- Located at the heart of Montreal, Dawson College is surrounded by restaurants, museums, and other exciting places like the Champlain Bridge, Notre-Dame Basilica, etcetera.
- The college is equipped with a multitude of on campus facilities like an upkeep bookstore, a world-class library, gyms, a radio station, combat and fitness rooms, a rock-climbing wall and a theatre.
- Dawson College has an Academic Skills Centre which enables students to further excel in their academic pursuits through the help of professionals and peer tutors.
- The college boasts of one 17 intercollegiate and competitive athletics teams, including that of Basketball, Lacrosse, Golf, rowing, volleyball, soccer, etcetera.
- Dawson College has a variety of students clubs such as Green Earth, Dawson Debate Union, the Feminist Union, the E-Sports union and likewise. The student newspaper, The Plant, is the largest CEGEP newspaper in Quebec.
- The Warren G Flowers Art Gallery of the college features art works by Dawson students, alumni, faculty, staff members, along with contemporary artists from Canada and abroad. The art gallery is open for public tours and visits.
Dawson College Residence
- Dawson College has NO on-campus residence.
- The college provides a database for students who are searching for residence in the Montreal area.
Dawson College Programs
- Dawson University provides Pre-University Programs in Science, Social Science, Liberal Arts, Visual Arts or Fine Arts and Arts, Literature and Communication (CALL). These programs include a General Education Component which include – 4 English courses, three Humanities, and three Physical Education courses.
- The college offers 21 Technical Programs or Career Programs. These are highly specialised courses that are equipped with additions like internships and work placements to facilitate ground experience.
- The various Career Programs offered by Dawson College include – Nursing, Radiation Oncology, Graphic Design, Interior Design, Professional Theatre, amidst others.
- Dawson College also offers certificate programs in Peace Studies, Hellenic Studies, Gender or Women Studies and Decolonisation and Indigenisation Studies.
To get admission at Dawson College, the interested individual must complete the online application and send the required documents to the Online Applications System of the college. The admission requirements include -
- Application portal
- Application Fee – 30 CAD
- SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS -
- Diploma of Secondary Studies or any other equivalent academic background.
- English Test Scores for international students
- (TOEFL ibt score of 61 and above; IELTS score of 6 or above)
- All official transcripts of senior secondary school.
- Testing in program prerequisites (English, Math, French, Science, Chemistry or Physics) is required in case an applicant has no record of completing the same in his or her secondary education background.
- Certain programs have special requirements of the interview, language testing, or a portfolio review.
- Letter of Recommendation is required for none, barring the Career Program of Social Service.
- Deadline for Winter applications is November 1.
- Deadline for Fall Applications is March 1.
- The college is most likely to remain a virtual campus for the Fall session on account of the Covid19 pandemic.
Dawson College Cost Of Attendance
- The cost of attendance at Dawson College is program-based.
- Fees for international students range from 6,372 to 9,877 CAD per semester for full time students, depending on the program. This excludes other applicable fees.
|Expense||Cost in CAD|
|Accommodation||1,350 to 1,660 CAD|
|Food||350 CAD per month|
|Books and Supplies||500 to 1,000 CAD|
Dawson College encourages academic excellence and extracurricular competence by awarding over 120 prizes, scholarships and bursaries to its students every year.
Some of the scholarships are:
- Aditya Youth Trust Fund
- Glay Sperling Prize
- Tony Proudfoot Outdoor Education Award
- William McCallum Memorial Scholarship
All the scholarships have a distinct application period during which a scholarship link becomes active in the Dawson College Omnivox Portal.
- Fall Semester awards application period – September 15 to 30
- Winter Semester awards application period – March 10 to 25
.Apart from scholarships, full time students of Dawson College can also apply for loans and bursaries. The Financial Aid Department of the college provides information on government loans and other support systems and assists them in availing the same.
Dawson College Alumni
Since its establishment in 1989, Dawson College has provided a college diploma to more than 70,000 students. Some notable alumni of the college are -
- Jay Baruchel – Canadian actor and screenwriter
- Bianca Farella – Olympic medalist in rugby
- Michael Zelniker – Director and actor
- Jessica Pare – actor
- Naomi Klein – journalist and social activist
- Michael Greenspan – director and screenwriter
- Jeff Fuchs – author and explorer
Student Employment Opportunities
- The Dawson Job Bank is a highly beneficial tool for students who are looking for part time jobs, internships, full time jobs and volunteering opportunities. The forum also provides students with interview tricks and tips, job search techniques, resume building and the like.
- The Employment Center of the college has two job fairs - one in November and the other one in March.
FIND A PROGRAM
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
I applied to Dawson College and Champlain College and got accepted to both. However, I chose Dawson College because Champlain College was in the same area as my high school and I really felt like I needed a change of scenery. I had a weighted average of 88% in Secondary 5 and I think that greatly helped my acceptance.
Course Curriculum :
I really like the classes that I take because I feel like they are very general and even though I chose this program knowing what I wanted to do later, I think this program would be a really good exploration program for someone who is not sure of what they want to do as it offers classes on a multitude of subjects.
It is a downtown college with a high percentage of graduate students. They provide the program I want to study and also have a lot of qualified teachers. They have a lot of faculties to help students from personal problems to educational issues. In Quebec - Canada, we go to CEGEP, or college, after finishing grade 11 and then we can take either 2 years programs and go up to universities after, or take a 3years program or also called technical program, which will then provide you with a DEC degree which you can use to enter the workforce
Course Curriculum :
It is very straight forward and prepare you prefectly for your graduation, as well as to find a job after grad. They have everything logically scheduled but since it is a 3 years program, the work load is much higher than that in high school.
I was very much focused on my career and all I knew was that as soon as I complete my university studies I need to get a job to support my family. So Dawson was the only college I found, that was actually satisfying my requirements. Their DEC program was specially designed for the students who wish to enter the job market right after the completion of their course. So I thought maybe this specific career program could help me land into a job without much struggle. I applied through the online application portal. The application fee for the process was $30.
Course Curriculum :
I am very much satisfied with their course curriculum. I don-t think I-ll be able to forget anything they taught. They provided us with practical hands-on competencies, in preparation for a career in a particular field we choose. The curriculum provides us with real problems case studies that companies deal with and they asked about our opinion. This makes our minds think more strategically and professionally.
Taking inspiration from my uncle who is a Chartered Accountant, I equally sensed my interest in Accounting. Since I wanted to pursue my studies abroad, I was on a lookout for colleges in Canada as one of my cousins reside there. With her help, I was able to track down on Dawson College which was given a good ranking and known for its academic excellence. Luckily, with my high school transcript, English language proficiency, health insurance, and an application fee of $30, I was able to get admission into the college void of any testing. I applied through the online application portal of the college website.
Course Curriculum :
I am currently in my second term where I study financial accounting, business computing, e-commerce, and inventory management. The rest of my curriculum includes business analytics, payroll, taxation, global business, and web design to name a few.
I opted for this college to get a different experience than the one that was closer to my house. The one I went to was a much worse commute than the one by my house but it was worth it to meet different people than the ones I'd been with throughout high school.
Course Curriculum :
For the most part, it was pretty good and interesting. Depending on the class I could lean too much to the dose of borderline unnecessary and extremely boring and touchy-feely. Too much importance was given to class participation.
- Bus Station
- Shopping Mall
- Book Store
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary