Dawson College is an English Language CEGEP (College of General and Professional Education) institute situated in downtown Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Established in the year 1969, the institute has gained fame as the largest CEGEP in the Quebec province. The college offers several pre-university and career programs in different fields of study.
Why should you choose Dawson?
Given below are the reasons to choose Dawson over any other competitor:
Ranking and Standings
- UniPage world ranking: 10115
- UniPage ranking in Canada: 140
- Webometrics world ranking: 5462
University at a Glance
- Was the first English-language CEGEP
- Offers both two-year pre-university programs and three-year career/technical programs
- Offers continuing education facilities
- Delivery languages: English and French
- Research Funding: CAD 2 million
- Jay Baruchel: actor, Bianca Farella: Olympic medalist, Steven Pinker: psychologist, Naomi Klein: writer, Michael Zelniker: director and actor are some of the notable alumni
|Total number of Students||11,000|
|Programs offered||Pre-University and Career/Technical|
|Fees for International Students||CAD6,059 to CAD9,393 per semester for Full-time students|
|Minimum required English Proficiency Test Score||TOEFL: 61 for Internet-based, 175 for Computer-based or 500 for Paper-based IELTS: 6.0|
|Mandatory language tests||English and French Placement Tests|
|Annual Acceptance Rate||51%|
Campus & Residence
- Dawson provides only Off-Campus housing facility. A database is prepared where all the owners provide the need for renting their place. Students can select the required place accordingly.
- College doesn’t take the responsibility about the apartments given by the owners for rent.
Need Program Information?
Given below are the programs running at the college along with their streams. Each course is provided with all the three streams mentioned
|Type of course||Stream|
|Pre-University Programs, Career/Technical Programs, Special Areas of Study||Creative &Applied Arts|
|Science, Medical Studies & Engineering|
|Social Science & Business Technologies|
|Arts, Literature and Communication/ Visual Arts||Arts Technologies|
|Social Science/ Liberal Arts||Medical Technologies|
|Engineering Technologies||Business Technologies|
|English Alyson Grant||French Laurent Duval|
The application for the admission procedures are conducted thrice every year
- Summer application
- Fall application
- Winter application
Schedule of the classes
Two types of schedules are offered for the students of the Dawson College – Day & Evening
Know about Admission Process
Given below is the step wise information on the admissions, their requirements and documents to be submitted
General Admission Requirements
The students must have completed following courses or equivalent:
- Secondary V Language of Instruction
- Secondary V Second Language
- Secondary IV Science or Physical Science
- Secondary IV Math
- Secondary IV History
Students missing DES must complete remedial courses.
- Requires completion of the Quebec Diploma of Secondary Studies (including specific Ministry requirements) or its equivalent from another province or country
- Must have completed General Education, Concentration, and Complementary courses.
- International students having a provisional status in Canada, who are yet to attain authorizations to study in Quebec and Canada may apply for admission for Fall Semester.
- International students having legal authorizations to study in Quebec and Canada at the collegial level (CAQ and study permit), may apply for admission to the Winter Semester
- In addition to the general application fee of CAD 30, the international students need to pay an additional non-refundable fee of CAD 50 for the evaluation of the secondary school credentials
Out of Province Students
Students who belong to a province other than Quebec must score decided number of credits in Grade 11. The number of credits is different for different provinces.
The application process to the different programs offered by the Dawson College might be different according to the types of the courses and the requirements of the relevant departments. Here are few common guidelines for the applicants:
- Visit the official website www.dawsoncollege.qc.ca
- Fill the application form according to the season the students want to appear
- The required documents are needed to be submitted electronically
- After the submission of the application form, the candidate must retain the transaction and verification code for future reference
- A non-refundable general application fee of CAD 30 is to be paid at the time of submission of application by certified cheque or money order
- All the applications will be considered valid only after the submission of the details along with the scanned copies of the documents and the application fees
- The application status can be checked by accessing the student portal
- Check the e-mail regularly after applying to the college
- A photocopy of Secondary V (Grade 11) mid-year academic results
- Mid-term results if attending a post-secondary institution
- A photocopy of birth certificate
Out of Province Canadian
- The official cumulative transcript containing the final grades from the previous year
- The mid-term report card of the academic year in progress/the official final transcript
- If the secondary studies are over, a final transcript stating the completion of graduation requirements is required
- A photocopy of birth certificate
- All applicants whose native language or whose secondary school language of instruction is not English have to submit the result of either TOEFL or IELTS
- All the international students are required to possess
- The Quebec Certificate of Acceptance (CAQ) issued by the Ministry of Immigration of Quebec
- Study Permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada, CIC
- Valid medical & hospitalization insurance
After Receipt of Application for International Students
- An acknowledgement will be sent after the deadline.
- Applicants can look at the status of their application through “Application Status Portal”.
- An acceptance letter will be issued in case the students are selected for their desired course. The students in turn need to send a confirmation e-mail to confirm their seat.
- All the necessary documents will be sent via regular post.
Cost & Expenses
The tuition fees for studying in Dawson College are as follows:
|Non-Quebec resident students||CAD 5.51 per course hour||CAD 1,540 per semester|
|International students||CAD 27.77 to CAD 44.15 per course hour ||CAD 6,119 to CAD 9,486 per semester|
Financial Support to the Students
In collaboration with various individuals, companies, and organizations, Dawson College offers more than a few awards and scholarships for the deserving candidates. Following are the details:
|Type||Name of the award/scholarship||Value|
|Entrance||Aditya Youth Trust Fund (AYTF) Scholarship||2 awards for CAD 500|
| -||RFCM|| CAD 1,000|
|In Course||Dawson Awards||Varied amounts|
| -||Dawson Pre-selection||CAD 500-CAD 75,000|
|Graduation||Several scholarships||CAD 250 – CAD 3,000|
|External||Several scholarships||Varied amounts|
In addition to the awards and scholarships, the institute also offers loans and bursaries for the students demonstrating acute requirements.
Work while you Study
The Student Job Bank of Dawson College offers job opportunities for the students studying in the institute. The students may get the details by visiting their college portals. Students willing to work at the college can get the necessary help from the following departments:
- Campus Life & Leadership (CLL) 2E.6
- Bookstore 1F.2-1
- Academic Skills Centre 6D.2
- Library 5.C
- PARC 1H.4
At Dawson College’s Pathways & Articulation agreement information center, the students have a chance to get a university program they are interested in, through the transfer credits from CEGEP diploma.
It is a formal agreement between two educational institutions. It outlines the kind of transfer credits, that students must be given based on the academic record in one school upon providing the related program at other school. Also known as transfer agreements, transfer pathways or diploma to degree pathways.
Advantages of Degree Pathways program
- Simplifies the transfer process reducing the work load on the students.
- It saves time and money.
- This program is completely transparent. The students have a hint of credits they are likely to gain.
- There is no need of providing the course information to negotiate on the transfer credits
- Universities like – Acadia, Bishop’s, Cap Breton, Griffith and more are participating for Pathways.
The college maintains a strong alumni network via the social media. Some of the distinguished alumni of the institute are:
- Jay Baruchel: Canadian actor and screenwriter
- Bianca Farella: Olympic medalist in rugby
- Naomi Klein: Author, Social Activist and Filmmaker
- Steven Pinker: American-Canadian Cognitive Psychologist
- Michael Zelniker: Director and Actor
- Eddy Dorozowsky: Professional Pugilist