Memorial University of Newfoundland (MUN) St. Johns Courses, Rankings, Admission Criteria, Fee & Scholarships
Memorial University of Newfoundland is one of the largest Canadian universities located in Newfoundland enrolling over 19,000 students from over 115 countries all over the world. The Memorial University of Newfoundland offers programs including Engineering, Computer Sciences, Economics, International Business, and Nursing. With 125 exchange programs in more than 40 countries, 15% of its student population and over one-third of all graduate students being international students, Memorial University is deeply committed towards internationalization, international cooperation, cultural sensitivity, and student mobility.
It offers several scholarships, grants, or financial aid to its students to cope with their educational and living expenses in Canada. The female and male student ratio at MUN is 56:44. The Memorial University of Newfoundland has known for ocean-related research and it has more than 30 research centers.
Memorial University of Newfoundland Rankings
Memorial University of Newfoundland is ranked:
|Basis of Ranking||Ranking||Websites/Institutes|
|World University Ranking 2021||701-750||QS Ranking|
|World University Ranking 2020||701||QS Ranking|
|World University Ranking 2021||501-600||Times Higher Education|
|Research University in Canada||Top 20||Official Website|
|Best Global University||703||US News & World Report|
|Best University in Canada||23||US News & World Report|
|World Ranking||606||CWUR (Centre for World University Rankings)|
|National Ranking||23||CWUR (Centre for World University Rankings)|
|Type of university||Public|
|Endowment Funds||CAD 93 million|
|Total Number of Students||18,500+|
|Number of Undergraduate Enrollment||13,564|
|Number of Postgraduate Enrollment||3,774|
|International Students in 2017||2,744|
|Total number of nationalities on campus||120 (including Canadian)|
|The proportion of International Students||15%|
|The student to Faculty Ratio||12:9|
|Annual Acceptance Rate||70%|
|Basic Tuition Fee, Undergraduate International Students||CAD 11,460 - CAD 12,000|
|Language of Instruction||English|
|Tests of Language Proficiency||TOEFL/IELTS|
Memorial University of Newfoundland Campus
- The St. John campus located at Newfoundland and Labrador province is the main and largest campus of the university serving as the administrative hub of the university and home to six faculties and six schools.
- Memorial University has facilities for learning across all its campuses and abroad, giving students a diverse choice of study location.
- Memorial University has over 30 research facilities and raised more than 100 CAD million in research funding in 2016/2017 academic session
- Newfoundland and Labrador according to the Canadian Association for Graduate Studies have the highest percentage of full-time international graduate students in Canada.
Memorial University of Newfoundland Residence
- Memorial offers on-campus housing to undergraduates and graduate students of the school
- Accommodation is also available to graduate students at the Signal Hill campus
- Rooms at the on-campus housing are fully furnished and amenities available at the halls include High-speed internet and WiFi, Main dining hall, Laundry rooms in each building, 24/7 security, Swipe card access to the building, Lounges, Study rooms
Memorial University of Newfoundland Programs
- Memorial University offers more than 100 degrees programs
- To strengthen its commitment to research in ocean-related fields and harness the vast potential of the world’s ocean, the institution partners with the Ocean Frontier Institute, a 220 CAD million collaborative research initiative.
- Memorial’s Entrepreneurship Training Program (ETP) – Canada’s first international entrepreneurship training program is open for international graduate students interested in starting a business
- Unique programs offered at Memorial include:
- Memorial is the only university in the world offering a co-op program in Ocean and Naval Architectural Engineering program
- Memorial is the first university in Atlantic Canada to offer an MBA program in social enterprise and entrepreneurship, master of occupational health and safety degree, a joint degree in music and business,
- The institution is also the only university in Atlantic Canada to offer a four-year bachelor of fine arts degree with options in theatre production or acting.
Memorial University of Newfoundland Application Process
International students seeking admissions at the University can follow the below-mentioned admission details:
- Application portal: Memorial University of Newfoundland Admission Portal
- Application fee: 120 CAD
- Supporting Documents
- Official English proficiency test result
- Certified copy of the official credential
- Official transcript(s)
- Two letters of appraisal
- Proof of English proficiency
- GMAT/ GRE
- Financial guarantee document
- Additional requirements (may be required)
|Semester||Application opens||Application closes||Document deadline|
|Winter||February 15||December 13||December 20|
|Spring||September 15||February 1||April 30|
|Fall||October 15||August 13||August 20|
Presented on the table below are the minimum English language requirements for international students whose first language is not English.
|Test||Requirement (UG)||Requirement (PG)|
|CAEL||A minimum band score of 60 in each 4 (reading, writing, listening, speaking)||50-60 in each band with at least 2 band score of 60|
|Test||A minimum band score of 4.5 in listening comprehension and reading comprehension||Band level 4.5 in listening comprehension and reading comprehension|
|DET||A minimum score of 115||-|
|ESOL||A minimum grade of ‘B’ in the certificate of advanced English (CAE) or a minimum grade of ‘C’ in the certificate of proficiency of English (CPE)||-|
|IELTS||A minimum band score of 6.5 At least band score of 6 in reading & writing||Aggregate 6.5|
|PTE||A minimum score of 58 in each writing, listening, reading, and speaking||A minimum score of 58 in each|
|TOEFL (IBT)||A minimum score of 79 A minimum score of 20 in reading and writing and 17 in listening and speaking||Aggregate 80|
Memorial University of Newfoundland Cost of Attendance
The estimated cost of attendance as presented below is the cost for the 2019 - 2020 academic year and depends on several factors like the undergraduate faculty applied for, tuition, books, fees, housing, dining, and personal items.
|Tuition (30 credit hours)||11,460|
Graduate estimated cost of attendance is presented below:
|Student union/federation fees||111.23|
|Student services fee||150.00|
|Campus renewal fee||500.00|
|Books and stationery supplies||400|
Memorial University of Newfoundland Financial Aid
- Memorial University offers competitive aid in different forms to academically eligible full-time international students in all eligible programs. There are a series of financial aid options for graduate international students studying in Canada.
- International graduate students may be eligible for external funding through the Government of Canada, Vietnam International Education Development, the China Scholarship Council, or King Abdullah Scholarship Program
- 9.5 Million CAD budgeted annually for graduate fellowships and scholarships
- Some of the scholarships available in Canada are:
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship Program with varying worth
- Dean’s Excellence Award worth 5,000 CAD
- IUGS Entrance Scholarships for Undergraduate Students worth 6,000 and 12,000 CAD
|Name||Money Worth (CAD)||Eligibility|
|The Memorial University of Newfoundland International Entrance Scholarships||4,400||For students of St. John’s and Grenfell Campuses only|
|International Undergraduate Entrance Scholarships||6,000-12,000||For students of St. John’s Campus only|
Some other scholarships offered here are the following:
|The first-year standing||Minimum GPA of 3.5 out of 4.0 at the end of 2 semesters|
|Transfer students||Who transferred from any college/school in Canada|
|Co-op Students||75% average or over in more than 2 semesters|
|Scholarships standing||75% average at end of 2 out of at least 3 semesters|
Memorial University of Newfoundland Alumni
- Memorial alumni network is a global network with over 90,000 accomplished members throughout the world.
- In addition to strengthening Memorials reputation locally and internationally, members of the alumni network proudly offer voluntary services and mentor programs to current students
- Members of the alumni network include renowned scholars, a Supreme Court Justice, Fortune 500 executives, a former chief of defense staff of Canada, Rhodes Scholars, Juno award-winning musicians, Olympic gold medallists and notable professionals in several fields
Notable alumni include:
- Clyde Wells - Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Gen. Rick Hillier - Chief of the Defence Staff, Canadian Forces
- Nick Careen - Vice President at Air Canada
- Moya Greene - President and CEO of Royal Mail
Memorial University of Newfoundland Placement
- Memorial university offer over 1,600 students co-op placements and internships in organizations and research centers around the world
- The Career & Graduate School Fair hosts campus recruitments, career networking, and other programs that connect employers and graduate programs to help students get employment offers, network with potential employers and build professional contacts
- Through Memorial’s incubator for technology-based ventures called Genesis, over 70 start-up companies have been incubated since 1997 with 90 million CAD capital raised, 110 million CAD of revenue generated and 1,100 jobs created
- According to PayScale, average annual salaries of Memorial University of Newfoundland graduates are 57,000 CAD
FIND A PROGRAM
Times Higher Education
RANKED #501 - #600
RANKED #251 - #300
RANKED #301 - #400
RANKED #251 - #300
RANKED #401 - #500
View More >>
QS World University
RANKED #701 - #750
When I completed Mt 12th standard I decided to pursue my further education from Canada.I had contacted an admission consultant who recommended some good universities.I had applied at all of them but I found this most suitable for me.I had to filled an online application form through their official website.I had to spent around 120 CAD as an application fee.
Course Curriculum :
It was a very flexible degree program that provided me with the knowledge and expertise to succeed in the business world.Under this program I had studied about accounting,finance,human resources,information systems, international business and much more.This degree program included of various skill management and knowledge in business,strategy,and entrepreneurship.
I chose this university for my masters degree due to its location and other opportunities.And it was so affordable so decided to get admission here.There was an online application firm filled by me through the official website of the university with a fee of around $120.
Course Curriculum :
It had offered me all the skills and knowledge required for the successful career in computer science.It was a research oriented program having thesis option and the applied course/work term option.Some of the classes were tough but overall it was just an interesting academic program.
From the initial stage of my high school education, I was very clear with my aim to pursue my graduation in mechanical engineering. After completing my senior secondary examination, I took admission in a two year diploma program which was in the same domain. And without having any single year gap I applied to several universities in Canada for my graduation. I got acceptance letter from many of them but this university got fitted completely in my budget and as well as expectations.
Course Curriculum :
In my course structure, in the initial phase of my graduation some basic mechanism subjects were there. My course duration was of five years which included the training part as well in the industry. It was a combination of theoretical and practical aspects of engineering with deal with the fluid, thermal and robotics dynamics.
There were many reasons behind opting for this university like it was in top 20 universities in Canada, acknowledged world wide in engineering segment, etc. After completing my senior secondary education, I started my preparation for language proficiency test. According to my perception, the difficulty level of the admission process here was quite moderate and my cost of application form was $ 110 for each course.
Course Curriculum :
According to my opinion, I loved the course curriculum that I had been given here. My strength was in software and communication systems, and logical designs, computer networking and concurrent designing. All over I would say it was not that much easy as I thought about it. I enjoyed my course throughly.
The thought of studying in a small class size and interacting with my faculty members on regular basis encouraged me to apply for this university. My education counselor also recommended this university to me, so I decided to apply here by paying $120 while submitted my application form online.
Course Curriculum :
Our MEng program consisted of at least four courses, a seminar course, and a thesis. With the program, I was given facilities such as automation and control, computer, fluids, heat transfer, and structures laboratories. The program also gave us specialized facilities including a low-speed wind tunnel, SEM and XRD material characterization equipment, a multiphase flow loop, cold rooms, wave/tow tank, and x-ray imaging, and a mechatronics laboratory.
- Bus Station
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary