Memorial University of Newfoundland (St. John’s) is a comprehensive Canadian public university located in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. The university offers over 100 certificate, diploma, undergraduate and doctorate programs in various fields. Founded in 1925 as Memorial University College, it is a living memorial to residents of Newfoundland who were martyred in World War I and II.
Why choose Memorial University of Newfoundland?
Memorial University of Newfoundland has many achievements and accolades in its kitty. Some of them are:
- Memorial University ranked #1 in Canada for international graduate student support services in the International Student Barometer (ISB) survey (autumn 2015).
- QS World University Rankings 2018: .701-750 worldwide and 25th in Canada.
- Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2018: 501-600 worldwide and 19-23 in Canada (tie).
- US News and World Report University Rankings 2018- 623 globally (tied) and 23rd in Canada.
- Maclean’s Comprehensive University Rankings 2017 – 8th of 15 in Canada.
- Largest university in Atlantic Canada – 15,000+ pupils.
- Number of student programs, exchanges and research partnership agreements: 134 spread out in 40 nations.
- Strategic Internationalization Plan 2020 aims at increasing foreign students on Memorial campuses. 191 per cent rise in international students since 2008
- 40% of Memorial research is ocean-related, with 68% of it being in the Faculty of Science.
- Memorial University, Dalhousie University and the University of Prince Edward Island have established the Ocean Frontier Institute for Safe and Sustainable Ocean Development.
- Investment of CAD 325 million CAD in the Core Science Building for old Ocean and Arctic Science, Technology and Society, or COASTS.: 125,000 ft2 purely for industry R&D collaboration.
|Type of university||Public|
|Endowment Funds||CAD 93 million|
|Total Number of Students||18500+|
|Number of Undergraduate Enrollment||13564|
|Number of Postgraduate Enrollment||3774|
|International Students in 2017||2,744|
|Total number of nationalities on campus||120 (including Canadian)|
|Proportion of International Students||15%|
|Student to Faculty Ratio||12:9|
|Annual Acceptance Rate||70%|
|Basic Tuition Fee, Undergraduate International Students||CAD 3,939– CAD 12,000|
|Language of Instruction||English|
|Tests of Language Proficiency||IELTS and TOEFL|
What is the acceptance rate of Memorial University of Newfoundland?
As of 2017, the student enrollment number for Memorial University are given below.
Total student enrollment is 13,564 for undergraduate degrees 3774 for graduate degrees for a grand total of 18,204.
|Full Time||Part time||Full time||Part time||-|
|Diploma and Certificate Course Students||-||-||-||-||605|
Campuses of Memorial University of Newfoundland
The University has 4 main campuses in Newfoundland and Labrador. Apart from classroom courses, the University also provides 450 online courses.
St. John’s Campus, Newfoundland
- Modern and urban campus spanning 113 acres.
- University administrative hub.
- Teaching and research of all six faculties and schools takes place at St. John.
Grenfell Campus, Corner Brook, Newfoundland
- Liberal arts and science campus specializing in environmental and fine arts programs.
- 18 Bachelor’s and Masters degrees are offered here.
- Campus size is 75 hectares.
Marine Institute, St. John’s, Newfoundland
- One of the most internationally active Canadian institutes completing over 200 projects in +50 countries in the last 3 decades with governments, NGOs, and corporate partners.
- Certified ISO 9001:2008 FS64986
- Canadian leader for fisheries and marine education.
- Listed among largest marine training and education facilities in the world.
- The size of the institute is slated to be increased by 1/3.
- CAD155 million investment in COASTS project of the Marine Institute with +33% contribution from industry partners.
- C-CORE participation in construction of world’s pioneer ice capable Oil Spill Response Centre of Excellence.
Get Yourself an Accommodation
- On-campus residences are available on both St. John and Grenfell campuses.
- Rooms are well-furnished and WiFi enabled.
- All residences are conveniently located from all necessary facilities on campus.
- Residence types are noted below:
- Traditional residence halls (Paton College)
- Suites (Macpherson College),
- Burton’s Pond Apartments, and
- Battery Facility Graduate Accommodations.
- Students are requested to check with the Memorial University website for exact prices on the preferred room types.
- Residence application forms are available online.
Programs at Memorial University of Newfoundland
There are 6 faculties at the Memorial University, namely
- Engineering and,
- Business Administration.
The 7 schools at Memorial University are those of
- Graduate studies
- Physical Education and Athletics
- Social Work
- Continuing Education
The following courses are offered at the various campuses of the Memorial University:
|Level of Studies||Number of Courses||Campus|
|Advanced Diploma||3||Marine Institute|
|Certificate||10||St. John Campus, Marine Institute and Online|
|Bachelor's||85||Corner Brook, Grenfell Campus, Marine Institute, Online, St. John's Campus|
|Post-graduate certificate||4||Marine Institute and Online|
|Masters||75||Corner Brook, Grenfell Campus, Marine Institute, Online, St. John's Campus|
|PharmD||2||Online and St. John campus|
|Ph.D.||42||Marine Institute and St. John Campus|
Know All About Application Process
Requisite documents for application are as follows:
- Undergraduate degree applicant: Current, interim transcript and 12th result certificate to be sent directly to the university.
- Graduate degree applicant: Certified copy of provisional degree certificate or final degree certificate and transcripts to be sent by post to the university.
- Two letters of appraisal (recommendation letters) to be submitted by email.
- Official English proficiency test result sent directly from the testing authority.
- Completed extra application form and documents if demanded by the faculty, school or program of the future student's choice.
English Language Proficiency
- IELTS (band 6.5) is the recommended test and test score for the Canadian visa/study permit application.
- IELTS test result is sent directly from the testing authority to the Memorial University.
- TOEFL- Paper based test: 550 marks, Internet Based Test- 79
- CAEL- 50-60 marks in each of the four sections, at least two band scores of 60.
- PTE- Minimum 58 marks in each section.
How, When and Where to Apply
To apply for Memorial University of Newfoundland, perform the following steps:
- Go to the official website and navigate to the application link
- Check all the requirements for admission carefully
- Click on the ‘application form’ link and proceed to create your log in id.
Application fee for undergraduate admissions is as follows:
- Canadian students: CAD60
- International students: CAD120
- Medical students: CAD75
Certain undergraduate programs charge extra fee. Candidates are advised to verify the same.
Application fee for graduate admissions is as follows:
- Canadian students: CAD60
- International students: CAD120
- Payment method: Credit card.
How Much Does it Cost to Take Admission at Memorial University
Tuition and incidental fees are charged based on year of study and the track - full-time or part-time chosen by the student.
|Program||Total Program Fee|
|Newfoundland Students||Other Canadian Students||Foreign Students|
|Undergraduate Program (Fees per 30 hour credits)||CAD 2,550||CAD 3,330||CAD 11,460|
|Graduate Diploma||CAD 3,780.00||CAD 4,914.00||CAD 6,390.00|
|Plan A||CAD 5,718.00||CAD 7,434.00||CAD 9,666.00|
|Plan B||CAD 5,715.00||CAD 7,434.00||CAD 9,666.00|
|Plan C||CAD 3,939.00||CAD 5,121.00||CAD 6,654.00|
|Master of Science in Medicine||CAD 12,000.00||CAD 12,000.00||CAD 12,000.00|
|Doctoral Programs||CAD 10656||CAD 13848||CAD 17988|
Many other miscellaneous fees are applicable and there are some additional fees for certain degree programs. Students are requested to check for the same.
|-||St. John Campus||Grenfell Campus|
|Residence Application Fee||CAD 20/semester||CAD 20/semester|
|Residence Deposit||CAD 500||CAD 500|
|Residence Fees (depending on room size and occupancy -single/family)||CAD 1,947 to CAD 4,188||CAD 1,711 to CAD 3,007|
|Cancellation Charges if applicable||CAD 500||CAD 500|
|Meal Plan (compulsory)||CAD 2535 to CAD 2655||N/A|
Scholarships and Bursaries
- Eligible, full-time Canadian and international students can take advantage of Memorial University funding packages.
- Certain diploma and masters programs are not eligible for scholarships.
- Academic units reommend students for scholarships on the basis of merit before commencement of the semester.
Selected scholarships and awards of Memorial University are mentioned below:
|School of Graduate Studies fellowships||CAD 4,000 to CAD 12,000/annum|
|Graduate assistantships (employment)||CAD 3,000 to CAD 6,000|
|Supervisor grants/contracts ||CAD 3,000 to CAD 15,000/per annum|
|Special initiatives funding||CAD 5,000 to CAD 8,000/annum|
Domestic and international students of Memorial University are eligible for many external awards in addition to internal scholarships. A short list is given below:
|Level of Study||Award Name|
|Masters||CIHR Canada Graduate Scholarships (CGS) Program|
|Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship Program|
|Master's and Doctoral Scholarships||NSERC Canada Graduate Scholarships (CGS) Program|
|SSHRC Canada Graduate Scholarships (CGS) Program|
|RDC Ocean Sciences Award|
|Doctorate||CIHR Doctoral Research Awards SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship|
Above-mentioned lists are not all-inclusive and students are advised to check with their departments and the concerned webpages of the University for exact details.
Work Study Program
- Memorial Career Development Centre helps students to connect with employers and find jobs suited to their degrees even while studying.
- Jobs can be on or off campus or specifically created for the co-op work term.
Memorial Undergraduate Career Experience Program (MUCEP)
- Student has to be enrolled full-time in a degree.
- Minimum percentage: 60%.
- Work load: 40 or 80 hours during the semester.
- Choice of MUCEP: Two 40 hour MUCEPs or one 80 hour MUCEP/semester.
- MUCEP job postings: Announcement in the 2nd week of each semester.
- Application: View postings via my.mun.ca login and apply online.
Student Work and Service Program (SWASP)
- Job funding by the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Remuneration: Tuition voucher and cash stipend.
- Job period:
- Fall and winter semesters: Only for student parents at Memorial University.
- Spring semester: All Memorial students.
- Application: Apply via Career Development dept.
- Alumni association has over 90,000.
- Age range: 22 to 100 and more than 33.33% are below 35 years from age.
- Alumni are mostly based in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Alumni magazine 'Luminus' updates ex-students about other students and student profiles.