Stationed in Kinston, Ontario, Canada, the Queen's University was established by a royal charter of Queen Victoria in 1841. The university is public funded English Language Varsity famous for research, doctoral, business and engineering programs.
Know about the Rankings and Standings
- Canada Business 2017 Report-Ranked 7 in top 10 MBAs in Canada
- The Economist Report 2016 -Smith School of Business, Queen's University ranked 47 in Canada and 80 worldwide
- QS Global World Ranking-187th rank
- Times Higher Education (THE) ranking-224th rank
Focussing on the Key Features
- Runs more than 190 exchange programs with the university in 55 countries and welcomes more than 600 exchange students every year.
- Queen’s offers about 400 clubs to students many of which are international in stature like Amnesty International, Oxfam, Great Panda Society.
- Total 24,143 students were enrolled in Queen's University for the Fall 2017 session.
- Queen's has the second highest “endowed funds per full-time equivalent student” among Canadian universities.
- Total 8,921 faculty and staff members as of November 2017.
- Drew Feustel - NASA Astronaut, Arthur B. McDonald-2015 physics Nobel laureate, Elon Musk-founder of SpaceX, Lorne Greene-Musician, Actor, are some of the notable personalities among alumni.
|Type of university||Public|
|Number of Undergraduate Seats||1,89,35|
|Number of Graduate Seats||4,137|
|Number of International Students||2940|
|Annual Acceptance Rate||11%|
|Basic Tuition Fee, Undergraduate International Students||CAD $3334.55 - $12794|
|Basic Tuition Fee, Graduate International Students||CAD $6,414 - $12500|
|Tests Accepted||TOEFL, IELTS, CAEL, MELAB, PTE. Queen's School of English|
|Test Score Accepted for Graduate Studies||TOEFL: Writing test: 24/30; Speaking test: 22/30; Reading test: 22/30; Listening test: 20/30 IELTS: Score of 6.5 on Academic Module with no band below 6.0 CAEL: Overall band of 70 with no band below 60 MELAB: 90 Queen's School of English: High standing on 12-week English for Academic Purposes advanced level English courses PTE Academic: Overall score of 60 |
Student Intake Stats
Queen’s is home-away-from-home to students from more than 100 countries and total international students intake is about 11%.
- Out of 24,143 students, 2,940 students studying in Kingston Campus are international students.
- Numbers of Undergraduate students (full time) are 18,935.
- Numbers of Graduate students (full time) are 4,137.
- The number of BISC students, distance students, students away on the exchange is 541.
- Postgraduate Medicine students studying at Kingston Campus is 530.
Enjoying the location advantage
- Kingston has been ranked by various organizations as one of the best cities in Canada to live and work.
- Centrally located between Toronto and Montreal, Kingston is situated on the shores of Lake Ontario. Kingston today is a major centre for commerce, education, and health services and home to diverse population.
Choose from a Variety of Programs
|Bachelor's program ||67 Courses |
|Certificate ||8 Courses |
|Doctoral program ||54 Courses |
|Graduate Diploma ||10 Courses |
|Juris Doctor ||6 Courses |
|Master's program ||82 Courses |
|Doctor of Medicine ||2 Courses |
|Postgraduate Medical Education ||36 Courses |
Queen’s Smith School of Business is famous for its MBA and is ranked 7 out of best 10 MBAs in Canada by Canada Business, it offers specializations in the areas of highest demand.One can choose from
- Entrepreneurship & Innovation
- Healthcare Management
- Marketing & Sales
- General Management
Double degree from Smith School of Business can give a much-desired boost to one's career. The Expert Level enables one to apply some of one’s MBA credits to a second Queen’s Master’s degree. Smith School of Business currently offers four Double Degree programs which are as mentioned below
- MBA + Master of Finance
- MBA + Master of Management Analytics
- MBA + Juris Doctorate
- MBA + MSc in Healthcare Quality
Knowing about the faculties and schools in Queen's University
Being home to a 2015 physics noble prize winner intensive research is a key factor in the Queens University. It houses 8 faculties for studying various specializations and obtaining knowledge to its fullest. The faculties are
|School of Queen's University||NO. Of PHDs||Area of Specializations|
|Faculty of Arts and Science ||20|
- Art History
- Astrophysics & Astronomy
- Cultural Studies
- Environmental Studies
- French Studies
- Gender Studies
- Geological Sciences
- Kinesiology & Health Studies
- Political Studies
|Faculty of Education ||1||Education `|
|Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science ||10|
- Aging and Health (online)
- Mining Engineering
- Mechanical & Materials Engineering
- Mathematics & Engineering
- Geological Engineering
- Geo-Engineering (Collaborative)
- Engineering & Applied Physics
- Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering (Collaborative)
|Faculty of Health Sciences ||10|
- Biomedical & Molecular Sciences - Research Fields (Pattern I)
- Cancer Research (Collaborative)
- Combined Medicine with Graduate Research
- Health Quality Programs (online)
- Pathology & Molecular Medicine
- Rehabilitation Science
|Faculty of Law ||1||Law|
|Smith School of Business ||1||Management|
|School of Graduate Studies || -|| -|
|School of Policy Studies || -|| -|
All you need to know about the application process of Queen's University
For Undergraduate admissions:
- For undergraduate admissions in the Queen's University, visit http://www.queensu.ca/admission/about-applying/how-to-apply.
- Choose the program of interest research about it to check the requirements to take admission in the specific program.
- International students are required to apply on Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (OUAC) select the desired program and for it by paying the non-refundable fee with the help of master or visa card.
Applicants applying online will have the option to have their referees submit the letter of recommendation to Queen University via a secure online reference form submission process.
For Graduate admissions:
- For graduate admissions in the Queen's University visit the university's website
- Create a new user profile complete and submit the application, Submission includes verification that the information submitted is true and accurate, and payment of the non-refundable application fee online using a Visa or MasterCard.
- Two current academic recommendations are required from professors under whom the applicant has recently studied or under which the applicant has worked like professionals and supervisors.
- Some departments/programs also require additional documentation such as a current course list, GRE or written sample of work. Online applicants must provide all the additional material as part of the online application.
Cost of studying in Queen's University- Fees and expenses
The fees for different programs vary in Queens University program to program. After applying, one can generate a Fee Statement from SOLUS for a per-term summary or all charges and payments
Residence and Accommodation (Housing Plans)
Queen’s University Residences provides a wide range of living environments in 17 buildings across campus, offering students a mix of co-ed and single gender arrangements in single, double, triple and quad rooms.
- Application into Queens Residence can be done online once student number is allotted to the applicant.
- First-year students are guaranteed a space in residence when the application is deposited on time and deposit is made. Deposit is refundable if canceled in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org by July 6, 2018.
- Application and deposit costs CAN $525.00 for which deadline is 4:00 p.m. EDT., June 8, 2018, as applications are open now for which move-in day will be September 1, 2018.
- Applications to residences can be made on the website by clicking on apply now button.
Other pre-requisites (Health Insurance)
- It is must for every international student to enroll themselves in University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)
- The mandatory health plan provides for all the basic medical coverage for most of the doctors and hospital services in Ontario
- Health plans must be renewed every year. It is mandatory for all students and their dependents and also all students and their dependents who have Canadian Provincial Health Insurance plan.
- Between internal and departmental awards, teaching and research assistantships, external scholarships and fellowships, students receive nearly $28 million in total funding each year.
Achieving education goals with the help of awards and scholarships
- A Ph.D. student receives a minimum guaranteed amount of scholarship as of CAD $18,000 a year. Numerous departments set higher minimum amount of funding and almost all of the departments offering much higher average scholarship packages.
- Arthur B. Mc Donald Prize for academic excellence- An amount of CAD $15,000 is granted to students entering the first year of Masters. An amount of CAD $30,000 is granted to Ph.D. scholars entering their first year.
- Queen’s Tri-Agency Recipient Recognition Award- It is valued at CAD $50,000 for masters students. CAD $10,000 for students entering in Ph.D. first year adds to an impressive list of scholarship available to Queen’s graduates.
- Federal Tri-Council Award- Students are automatically considered for this award who apply in Queen's as their choice of studying destination. This award is valued at CAD $50,000 for masters students and CAD $10,000 for students entering in the Ph.D. first year.
- Students should apply for all scholarships and awards for which they are eligible prior to starting a graduate degree program.
Work while you study
The Work Study program is offered to the students of Queen's University to provide students financial need with the opportunity to receive priority for certain part-time jobs during their studies.
Automatic Eligibility Criteria – No Work Study application required for current year and students, on an annual basis, will be automatically approved for a Work Study
Standard Eligibility Criteria: Work Study application must be submitted. `
Alumni Networks and Career Prospects
Queen's University has a wide network of notable alumni. some of them are mentioned below:
- Astronaut Dr. Andrew Feustel, PhD'95, DSc'16, will serve as Flight Engineer and later as Commander of the International space station
- Sari van Anders -Leading human sexuality and gender scholar, named Canada 150 Research Chair
- Dr. Brant Castellano - In the early 1970s, the member of the Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte helped establish one of North America’s first Indigenous Studies programs at Trent University
- David Johnston – appointed as Canada’s new Governor General
- Elamin Abdelmahmoud- rising media star