Renison University College: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Renison University College is one of the public universities named after a contemporary Canadian church leader. It was established in 1959 and is affiliated to the University of Waterloo. The University focuses its academic work in three primary areas: including Social Engagement and Innovation, Global Engagement through Languages and Cultures, and Community Engagement, since then the university has become a buzzing hub of more than 897 students from over 60 countries around the world.
Renison University has 6 institutes and schools offering programs that include: Confucius Institute, English Language Institute, King Sejong Institute, Renison Institute of Ministry, Sakura Japanese Language School and School of Social Work. One major reason why a student must look up to join Renison University for studying in Canada is that it has ranked No.1 University in Canada for Computer science and engineering by U.S. News and World Report Best Global Universities 2017. Apart from that, it has held on to the title of most innovative university in Canada for 26 years.
|University Type||Public University|
|Location||Waterloo, Ontario, Canada|
|No. of campuses||1|
|On campus accommodation||Available|
|Annual Acceptance Rate||53%|
|Test Scores Accepted||TOEFL (IBT), IELTS, MELAB, CAEL, PTE, EFAS|
|Faculty to Student Ratio||1:18|
|Mode of Program||Full Time|
Renison University College Campus
- The Renison University College campus lies on 6 acres of land in Waterloo, Ontario.
- Most of the buildings of the university’s campus are away from a five-minute walk from Renison.
- The campus offers a wide range of facilities and services to students and also comprises various buildings including Lusi Wong Library, The Luscott Ministry Center, the Great Hall Cafeteria, and the Chapel of St. Bede.
- The Lusi Wong Library provides students access to more than 7 million resources through the TriUniversityGroup of Libraries (TUG) system.
- The Luscott Ministry Center is meant for student recreation and comprises of
- The Chapel is open 24 hours and is a place of peace for prayer or meditation.
Renison University College Residence
- It has been reported for a fact that the city of Waterloo is one of the most affordable University cities in Canada for students all over the world.
- All of the new students at Renison are guaranteed accommodation centrally located on Waterloo Campus.
- The University has absorbed many existing buildings in the area especially for use as residence halls.
- The residence at Renison University College Waterloo offers 4 types of rooms.
- Traditional Double room
- Double room offering semi-private bathroom
- Single room with semi-private bathroom, and
- Single room basically for upper-year students
- Once the applicant has made their choice of residence, all they need to do is submit their request, and finalize the booking when contacted by the accommodation provider.
- Students can submit their preference like- single or mixed gender, en-suite or shared bathroom, etc.
- International students are required to pay for accommodation in full and in advance.
- Common room amenities include captain’s bed, dresser, desk, book shelf, wireless internet connection, heater and elevator.
- Residence halls provide laundry facility, game room, common lounge with large TV screen, wireless internet, study areas, snack machines, mail service etc.
Renison University College Courses
- With the mission of imparting good social work skills, the Renison University offers students undergraduate programs in Social Development Studies, Honors Arts, and Honors Arts and Business.
- Renison University College is known for focusing its academic work in three primary areas, it offers non-degree programs and praxis-based learning related to various degrees.
- The University also comprises Center for Community and Professional Education with others including School of Social Work, Bachelor of Social work, Master of Social work, Renison Institute of Ministry, Lifelong language learning program, and English Language Institute.
- The University offers minors in East Asian Studies minor, Studies in Islam minor, and Applied Language Studies.
- The Social Development Studies offered by the University is the only program of the type in Canada. The program combines Sociology, Psychology, and Social Work.
Renison University College Application Process
Renison University College accepts applications from both international and domestic students for its various programs at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
How to Apply?
The process for admission to Renison University has been described below:
Application Portal: UG applicants - OUAC Portal; PG applicants – Online portal
Application Fee: 130 CAD
Admission Requirements: The documents to be submitted at the time of admission are as follows:
- All the academic records/transcripts from the previously attended institution(s) can be mailed from your high school in a sealed and signed envelope or sent digitally through a secure electronic source
- Declaration and Certification of Financial Support and Account Verification Forms
- Letter of Intent or Statement of purpose which highlights an applicant’s career objective and future goals.
- Copy of the Biographic Page of the Passport
- Bank Statement
- ID Proof
- Insurance documentation
- Valid student visa.
- English Proficiency Requirements (IELTS score: 6.5)
Renison University College Cost of Attendance
At Renison University cost of attendance for a student is the total amount he/she needs to deposit each term for educational purposes. Given here is a breakdown of the tuition fee and cost of living:
|Faculty/ Program||Tuition fee for international students||Books and Supplies|
|Faculty of Applied Health Sciences and Arts||40,900 CAD||2,290 CAD|
|Faculty of Engineering, Software Engineering||61,300 CAD||2,290 CAD|
|Faculty of Environment||41,100 CAD|
|Faculty of Mathematics||45,500 CAD||2,290 CAD|
|Accounting and Financial Management,||40,900 CAD||2,290 CAD|
|Biotechnology/Chartered Professional Accountancy, Mathematics/Chartered Professional Accountancy||42,900 CAD||2,290 CAD|
|Architecture||59,700 CAD||4,100 CAD|
|Business Administration (Laurier) and Computer Science (Waterloo) Double Degree||61,300 CAD||2,290 CAD|
|Business Administration (Laurier) and Mathematics (Waterloo) Double Degree||45,500 CAD||2,290 CAD|
|Computing and Financial Management||45, 100 CAD||2,290 CAD|
|Global Business and Digital Arts||45,100 CAD||2,290 CAD|
|Mathematics/Financial Analysis and Risk Management||45,500 CAD||2,290 CAD|
*Co-op students in these programs pay a co-op fee of 734 CAD per term starting in first year.
|Room type||Cost (per term)|
|Traditional Double Room||5680 CAD|
|Traditional Single Room||6218 CAD|
|Link Double Room||5845 CAD|
|Link Sing Room||6378 CAD|
|Deposit Fee||500 CAD|
Renison University College Scholarships/Financial Aid
- At the Renison University, students are eligible to receive entrance scholarships and bursaries.
- The other forms of financial aid include The Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP). This program is available exclusively for Ontario students.
- Apart from these the students also have a chance at assisting their tuition through bursaries which include - Bishop Morse Robinson Bursary, Chartwells Bursary, and Luke Winterburn Memorial Bursary etc.
- TheUniversity College Waterloo offers scholarships supporting the university’s mission of recognizing student’s achievements. Some of these include:
|Scholarship Name||Eligibility Criteria||Amount Awarded|
|Entrance Scholarship Program||
Students applying for post-secondary education for the first time in Renison are eligible;
|1500 CAD (87-89.9%) 1000 CAD (82-86.9%)
500 CAD (80-81.9%)
|Renison President’s Scholarships||
Awarded to students with average 90% or greater.
|Renison Excellence Scholarship||
Awarded to students with average 90% or greater.
|4000 CAD (top 2 students receive additional 2000 CAD)|
Renison University College Alumni Network
The Renison University College Waterloo has more than 600 alumni. The very well renowned among the students at the college is the Renison University Alumni Association that was established years ago catering to the needs of the students that graduated from the college.
Few notable alumni include:
- Daniel Cressman - Known for 1stprize in the year’s Ontario University students Chinese Competition
- Peter Ringrose - an Honorary Senior Fellow
- Rick Green – Canadian comedian (a distinguished Alumnus)
Some benefits available to the members of the association are:
- TD insurance at group rates for home and car insurance
- Discounted rates on Manulife Financial life, health, critical illness insurance
- Rewards from the BMO Bank of Montreal alumni credit card
- Career advising
- Alumni events
The organization creates and emphasizes a series of networking events, reunionsand other activities. They also facilitate the use of social media which connects Renison University graduates and with the college. All of these activities help in strengthening the community both at home and abroad.
FIND A PROGRAM
Times Higher Education
RANKED #301 - #400
RANKED #301 - #400
RANKED #176 - #200
Among other colleges I had applied for, this was 3rd on my list. The factor that made me choose this college was a better price tag for the degree I wanted to pursue and since the degree they provide is from the University of Waterloo, it was an excellent option. Since I had one of my seniors in this college, I was well aware of the process of admission and requirements. I applied to the college through the online admission portal along with the application fee of $130.
Course Curriculum :
Well, I find the curriculum to be pretty good. This course combines Sociology, Psychology, and Social Work in the best way and it teaches how to approach a problem from multiple angles. In Social development studies, select a major, however, there are sessions conducted in the first year for selecting a major if admitted to honor arts.
- Bus Station
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
- Train Station
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary