The University of Waterloo, located in Waterloo, Ontario, is a public research university. Its main campus is adjacent to Uptown Waterloo and Waterloo Park. It is highly renowned for its research-oriented and co-op programs where 96% of the graduates get employed.
Why Study at the University of Waterloo?
- Academic courses administered by 6 faculties and 11 faculty based schools.
- Total Number of students counts up to 31917 out of which 16% are international students.
- More than 40,000 enrolments every year in online undergraduate and graduate credit course through Waterloo’s Centre for extended learning.
- It is the only university in the world to gain 5+stars for research, teaching, employability, facilities by QS world University 2016.
- According to Maclean’s Magazine, Waterloo University has been ranked as one of the most innovative universities in Canada for the past 26 years.
- According to the survey of Graduate employability ranking 2017, it is ranked no. 1 in terms of employer partnership.
|Type of university||Public|
|Number of students for undergraduate courses||31917|
|Number of students for graduate courses||4611|
|Tuition Fee Range for domestic students||CAD 7700- CAD 11061|
|Tuition fee range for international students||CAD 28241 to CAD 30843|
|Test Scores Accepted||IELTS & TOEFL|
|Scores required for admission||80-90%|
|Program Type||Full-time, Part-time|
Programs, Campuses and Accommodation
The University of Waterloo has been recognized around the world for its three campuses in Cambridge, Kitchener and Stratford.
- Waterloo Campus- Ontario, Canada
- School of Architecture- Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
- University of Waterloo Health Sciences Campus and School of Pharmacy. Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
- Provides more than 100 undergraduate courses in health and humanities, social science, business science, environment, mathematics and many more.
- For postgraduate, it offers over 190 doctoral and master degree course in biology, Nanotechnology, civil engineering, computer science, mechanical engineering, pharmacy etc.
The university is like a home for advanced research in information, nanotechnology and environmental studies. Students generally take admission in three main areas:
- Computer Science
- Math Business / Accounting
- 100% On campus residences available for first year students
- Apply for residence and pay CAD 500 after you have received your offer letter
- 8 Residences that costs from CAD 2310 to CAD 4236 per term.
University of Waterloo Admissions
- Click on the online application through Ontario University Application Centre (OUAC).
- Select the program of your choice among given choices.
- Create OUAC account
- Enter the password and username and fill the form.
- Make the payment of application fee of CAD 100 per program. (Non-refundable)
After completing the application form and submitting the fees you will receive the revert within one or two working days.
Upload Your Documents Using Quest: Once you have created your quest account, you can submit the documents.
- The accepted file must be in Jpg, pdf, jpeg.
- File names should be short and not include brackets ( ) or quotations.
- Log in to Quest and follow the steps Student Center>Admissions>Documents.
In case you require any help you can contact the support team at email@example.com with your 8-digit Waterloo student ID number.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- High School Diploma
- Grade 12 U or M courses should be completed from a school that is approved by the Ontario Ministry of Education.
- Academic Requirement.
- English Language Proficiency.
- GRE and GMAT Score.
- Supplementary Information Form (SIF)
University of Waterloo Cost of Attendance
Below mentioned is the overview of first-year tuition fees. You can use the budget calculator to calculate the total cost and resources i.e. including tuition, residence, meal plan etc.
Co-op students in these courses will pay fees of $709 each term starting from the first year.
For International students first-year fees for 2 terms/8 months
|Faculty or program||Approximate tuition and incidentals|
|Faculty of Applied Health Sciences, Faculty of Arts, Faculty of Environment||CAD 28,241|
|Faculty of Engineering, Software Engineering||CAD 42,272|
|Faculty of Mathematics||CAD 30,511|
|Faculty of Science||CAD 29,549|
|Accounting and Financial Management||CAD 28,999|
|Business Administration (Laurier) and Computer Science (Waterloo) Double Degree, Business Administration (Laurier) and Mathematics (Waterloo) Double Degree||CAD 32,538|
|Computing and Financial Management||CAD 32,658|
|Global Business and Digital Arts||CAD 30,843|
University of Waterloo Scholarships and Financial Aid
A student can apply for the scholarships on admission. No application is required for scholarship. Here is the list of some scholarship provided by the university:
- Presidents scholarship for Distinction
- Merit scholarship
- He/She Impact scholarship
- International Students Entrance Scholarship
Work While You Study
If you have a valid study permit then you can work part-time on the institute.
- Registered in a full-time program.
- Have Social insurance number i.e. SIN
- Allow working 20hours/week during school.
Students can work on campus while studying at the institute. They will have to fulfil the following conditions.
- Study full time in a program
- Have a valid study permit
- Have a SIN (Social Insurance Number)
- Can work a maximum of 20 hours/ week during the school year
- Can work full time during school holidays
- They should have a valid study permit.
- They need to be full-time students.
- The program must be at least 6 months in duration and leads to a diploma, degree or certificate.
How to get a SIN?
It is very important to complete the formalities of on campus or off campus, before applying for SIN.
- Have to accept students employment on the campus at which registered in full-time studies.
- May work 20 hours per week.
- Off-campus work permit.
Work After Graduation
- To qualify for a post-graduation work permit, you must also submit your application within the 90 days following completion of your degree.
- Students are allowed to work post their graduation after getting their work permit.
- Immigration, Refugees and citizenship Canada (IRCC) offers post-graduation work permit application.
- Should be a full-time student in Canada.
The co-op course is very beneficial and many students get the exposure of actual work by the time they graduate. A student can earn about CAD 15000 per semester. According to the university research after 2years of graduation, almost 88% is in the study field which is great.
LinkedIn ranked the University of Waterloo first in Canada that offers Software jobs just after graduation.
University of Waterloo Alumni Network
Some of the notable alumni of the university are:
- Dr.Vk Astre is the Indian scientist and former head of the Defence Research and Development Organization.
- Andreq John is a former politician in Manitoba, Canada.
- William George Ballinger is a former politician in Ontario Canada.