Royal Military College of Canada (RMC) is a military college located in Kingston, Ontario, Canada. It is a degree-granting university for training military officers of the Canadian Armed Forces. The College was established in 1876 as the only federal institution in Canada with degree-granting powers. It currently offers degrees in Arts, Science, and Engineering at the undergraduate and graduate levels. It offers both on campus as well as distance learning programs.
Choose Royal Military College for a better future
Royal Military College offers undergraduate degrees in Engineering, Arts, Science and Applied Military Science through its four faculties. While post-graduate studies can be obtained through the Graduate Studies and Research. Some other features that make it a preferred college are-
Ranking and Standings
- According to Ranking Web of Universities, Royal Military College of Canada is placed at 62th place in Canada and at 2837th place worldwide.
- The RMC is ranked 66th in Canada and 2518th in world by Unirank.
- The My Canadian University places Royal Military College of Canada at 9th place in Canada.
- Ranked as the 2nd best Research University of the Year by Research Infosource in 2009.
- RMC provides programs and courses of higher education to meet the needs of the Canadian Armed Forces and the Department of National Defence.
- Open to international students as well, especially foreign officials who wish to educate themselves with top-notch military education.
|Type of University||Public|
|Number of Undergraduate Seats||1,160 full time; 990 part time|
|Number of Postgraduate Seats||300|
|Basic Tuition Fee, Undergraduate International Students||5,000-7,500 US$|
|Basic Tuition Fee, Postgraduate International Students||7,500-10,000 US$|
|Languages for Courses||French, English|
Choose the right one from a variety of programs offered
RMC offers a total of 67 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs. There are 19 undergraduate programs, 34 graduate program opportunities, including 14 doctorates in Arts, Science and Engineering. Interested and eligible students can choose from programs under three different levels. Here is a list of all the programs offered by RMC.
- Faculty of Arts
Following are the areas of study in Arts department:
- Humanities (English, History, or French)
- Social Science (History, Politics and Economics)
- Military and Strategic Studies
- Business Administration
- Military Psychology and Leadership
- Faculty of Science
Following are the areas of study in Science department:
- Mathematics and Computer Science
- Space Science
- Faculty of Engineering
Following are the areas of study in Engineering department:
- Aeronautical Engineering
- Chemistry & Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Applied Military Science
Following are the areas of study in Applied Military Science department:
- Land Force Technical Staff Programme (LFTSP)
- Army Technical Warrant Officer's Program
- Faculty of Continuing Studies
Following are the areas of study in Continuing Studies department:
- Continuing Studies Division – RMC Saint-Jean
- Graduate Studies and Research
Explore the beautiful campus of Royal Military College of Canada
Royal Military College of Canada is located on Point Frederick, a 101-acre peninsula in Kingston, Ontario. The college campus is a mix of historic buildings with modern academic, athletic, and dormitory facilities.
- The campus includes several National Historic Sites of Canada- Point Frederick Buildings NHSC, the Fort Frederick (Kingston, Ontario and part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Campus life at the Royal Military College is comprised of four components; Academic, Bilingualism, Military, and Athletic.
- RMC offers residence to all cadets inside campus. There is a Cadet Mess that provides facilities for the training of the Cadet Wing in the customs and practices of a Service Mess.
- The Massey Library consists of approximately 250,000 books, 1,800 audio-visual items and 1,200 periodicals in English and French.
- Full recreational facilities, including an indoor swimming pool and ice rink are situated very close to the College at the Kingston Military Community Sports Centre (KMCSC).
- RMC also has a small store located on campus where cadets can purchase personal articles, souvenirs, snacks and dry cleaning.
Royal Military College of Canada offers all ROTP and RETP cadets living on campus and the cadets of the UTPNCM program do not live in residence. The single rooms are provided to fourth year officer cadets. While other senior cadets are allocated single rooms on a space available basis. The first-year officer cadets are quartered in double rooms.
- RMC has six dormitories, which are similar to that of the most universities and provide all the basic necessities.
- All residences are co-ed and cadets who are married or have common-law status may request permission to live out.
- On-campus dining is provided and Cadet Mess that provides facilities for the training of the Cadet Wing.
All you need to know about the application process
It is important to note that RMC reserves the right to reject applicants on the basis of their overall academic record, even after the entrance requirements have technically been met.
Applicants are required to submit the application with the following documents following:
- Study Permit
- Letter of permission from your current institution, and
- Transcript showing proof of completion of prerequisites for the RMC course you wish to take, if applicable.
English language requirements
|Test Scores Accepted||GMAT, TOEFL, IELTS and GRE|
|Score Required for Graduates||TOEFL-75 IELTS-5|
How and where to apply?
Applicants, including the international students who are interested in applying to RMC for the ROTP must apply online on official website. Select Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP) on the enrolment application form.
- Visit the official website of RCC and click on Apply now. After that, fill out the RMC Application form for Admission for Undergraduate Studies (sections 1 and 2 only) and pay the application fee.
What it costs to study in Royal Military College of Canada
Candidates will have to show a proof of finance while applying for students’ visa. The tuition fee charged by RMCC vary from course to course and on place of residence of student.
Undergraduate and Postgraduate Courses tuition fees
For undergraduate postgraduate courses, the following tuition fee is to be paid by students of different categories (approximately).
|Category ||Undergraduate fee ||Postgraduate fee |
|Canadian students||1,000-2,500 US$||2,500-5,000 US$|
|International Students||5,000-7,500 US$||7,500-10,000 US$|
Residence and meal plan
Approximately $3,000 including the mandatory meal plan that is automatically deducted from the Officer Cadet salary.
Scholarships to help the students fund their education
Every year, researchers successfully compete for and receive millions of dollars for research from a number of different scholarship granting agencies.
- All the successful candidates are subsidized to attend RMCC. No application is required for scholarship and it is renewable.
- The value includes tuition, books and implements required to complete a degree at the undergraduate level are provided by the Government of Canada.
- Officer Cadets are also provided with a salary while attending RMCC.
Work while you study
RMC also offers Work Study Program which is on-campus employment opportunity for students who demonstrate financial need at rate of pay $12 per hour. Students work under the supervision of a faculty or staff member.
Following are the requirement for the Work Study Bursary Program:
- Students should Complete work study application for this program.
- They should be in good academic standing and also need to demonstrate financial need
- They will be available to work 10-15 hours each week.
- Should have a valid SIN.
How to get a SIN?
- SIN or Social Identity Number is mandatory number for international students in order to work on campus or off campus and for tax purposes in Canada. A social identity number is valid until the end of the stay or for a maximum of 5 years.
- Students can renew it if necessary and they can obtain SIN by going in person to Service Canada office along with the following documents:
- Your Passport,
- Your study permit,
- Your off-campus x permit.
Knowing a few from the wide alumni network
RMC alumni have served Canada in war and peace. Here is a list of notable alumni who have been, or are involved with the Royal Military College of Canada:
- Billy Bishop, a leading ace of the First World War, won the Victoria Cross.
- Charles Merritt, lawyer and militia officer
- Marc Garneau, the first Canadian in space and is a Member of Parliament.