Northern Lakes College: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Northern Lakes College, Alberta is a Public-Board governed community college in Canada, with its main campus located in the town of Slave Lakes, Alberta. The college offers distance learning opportunities, combined with on-campus educational services, primarily to the native communities inhabiting North-western Alberta and to adults seeking to restart their education or upgrade employment opportunities.
The college offers a huge variety of full-time and part-time courses under numerous categories, attracting international students to study in Canada each year. Read on to discover the diverse range of courses offered by the college, admission deadlines and more!
Northern Lakes College Rankings
Northern Lakes College, Alberta is ranked at the following positions in different ranking surveys:
- 213 in the Webometrics Rankings for Colleges and Universities in Canada and 12547 in the World in the Webometrics World Rankings.
- Webometrics also places it at 3057 in the Continental Rankings.
- The digital learning models initiated by the college such as NLC LIVE Online have been featured by the Conference Board of Canada, as a testimony to the effectiveness of such distance learning platforms.
|Campus Setting||Rural / Suburban|
|Student Acceptance Rate||Pre-Fixed for every program|
|Mode of Program||Full-time, Part-time, Online|
|Financial Aid||Scholarships, Loans, Grants, Bursaries, Prizes|
|Indigenous Student Population||51%|
|Proposed Student Enrolment (2020-21)||1551|
|Placement Rate (Last Measured 2017-18)||95%|
|International Student Enrolment (2020-21 Projected)||15|
|Tuition Fee Range||655 – 15, 238 CAD|
Northern Lakes College Campus
- The main campus of Northern Lakes College is located in Slave Lake, with other major campuses being at Grouard, Athabasca and Wabasca.
- The college offers library services at the Slave Lake and Grouard Campuses, with over 11,000 physical items to choose from.
- The Slave Lake Campus has conference halls that accommodate meetings and conferences of 5-300 people.
- It also has a cafeteria, indoor swimming pool, gymnasium, on-site climbing wall and offers catering services.
Northern Lakes College Student Residence
- The Northern Lakes College offers student residence facilities at the Slave Lake, Grouard and Wabasca campuses.
- There are off-campus housing facilities for international students studying in Canada as well, if the student chooses to live outside.
- The Slave Lake campus offers only furnished single student accommodation, with 4 bedrooms in each unit, a shared kitchen and living room and 2 bathrooms.
Slave Lake Campus Accommodation
|Single-Student Furnished Housing||Cost/Month|
|4 - bedrooms shared housing unit||300 CAD/ week or 450 CAD/ month|
Northern Lakes College Programs
- Northern Lakes College offers programs under 9 categories.
- For the 2019-20 session, the Basic and Preparatory Programs received the highest enrolments, with Academic Upgrading being the most preferred program (560 enrolments).
- The college offers certificate, diploma and pre-university training programs in the following streams.
|Stream||Number of Courses|
|Trades and Resources Technology||16|
|Business and Administrative Studies||4|
|Human Service Careers||6|
|Continuing Education and Corporate Training||17|
Application forms are available on the Northern Lakes College website.
International Student Admissions
Applicants interested in getting admission at Northern Lakes College should keep the following in mind:
Application Portal: Apply Alberta or NLC Application for Admission Form
- Application Fee (non-refundable): 200 CAD
- Required Documents:
- Student Visa/Study Permit
- Passport/Current Visa
- Official High-school / Post-Secondary Transcripts
- Approval and assessment report of official transcripts from accredited assessment organisations
- Documents showing fulfilment of the eligibility criteria
- Personal Statement Essay
- Admission Deadlines: 4 months prior to the start date of the program.
- International applicants must be at least 17 years of age.
- International applicants can only opt for full-time programs that include a face-to-face delivery component.
Northern Lakes College Cost Of Attendance
- International students planning to study in Canada must keep in mind the overall costs.
- The tuition fee varies with every program.
- In addition to tuition fees, additional fees and charges like audit fees, challenge fee, document request fee, etc may have to be incurred optionally.
|International students Tuition fees||200% of normal tuition for each course or program|
|Learning Resource Fee||Depends on program applied for – includes textbooks, reading material and other resources|
Northern Lakes College Financial Aid
- NLC offers Financial Aid to students in the form of scholarships, bursaries and prizes.
- However, only 50% of students receive some kind of financial aid at Northern Lakes College.
- International students can seek funding to study in Canada through other sources.
- NLC awards over 4,50, 000 USD in financial aid, with over 450 scholarships and prizes.
Northern Lakes College Alumni
- Some of the noted alumni from the college include:
- Oski Pasikoniwew Kamik (OPK) Vice-Principal, Joline Pelletier
- Kathy Reid Soucy, Dean of Nursing and Allied Health at NLC
- Chris Montgomery-Hewett, Chair of Trades and Resource Technology at NLC
Northern Lakes College Placement
- The employment rate of NLC program completers is about 95%.
- The NLC suggests websites and platforms like Workopolis, Government of Canada’s Youth Employment Program, Indeed-Alberta jobs, Student Job Board, Job Bank and Career Launcher Internship Program for students to seek employment opportunities.
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
I opted to study Human Resources Management program at Northern Lakes College as it the program was delivered online and was delivered online. I applied online using the college's application portal. I paid a non-refundable tuition deposit of around $200 CAD. As English is not my native language, I had to also submit a TOEFL exam score.
Course Curriculum :
My course curriculum included all the basic knowledge I needed to start working in the Human Resources field. My program had subjects like employment law, occupational safety, compensation and rewards and training, and performance management. I had a total of 10 subjects that were taught over three terms.
It has always been my aim to join the corporate sector and put my managerial skills to work. Getting a diploma in Canada in Human resource Management would take me closer to my goal. An acquaintance informed me about the Northern lakes college and its program. I took the opportunity and enrolled myself. I had applied online and paid an application fee of around $100.
Course Curriculum :
The Diploma spans over a period of 20 months and it's divided into 3 terms. Subjects included in the curriculum are- introduction to Human Resource management, recruitment and selection, employment law, training development and performance management and the likes. The curriculum has helped understand the various difficulties regarding the employment sector and how to cope with them.
I had my family business already set up for me but I always wanted to expand it and also wanted to set up some new business side by side. So, I decided to study business administration course. So, here I am in this college, learning every day something new and being better than yesterday.
Course Curriculum :
The curriculum focuses on microeconomics, marketing principles, computer applications, business plans, and proposals. I also gain bookkeeping and interpersonal communication skills. Along with that I am prepared thoroughly and the program also covers physical health. Each and every section is divided properly in order to avoid any kind of stress or burden on us.
Settling in Canada was my long time aim. Therefore, I started to prepare for the admission and applied in 7-8 universities. I got an offer letter from Northern Lakes and decided to attend. Applying through the Alberta post-secondary application system by paying an application fee of $200 made the process hassle-free for me.
Course Curriculum :
I am trained to be a successful entrepreneur through this year-long course. Through the advanced curriculum, I learned microeconomics, marketing principles, computer applications, business plans, and proposals in relation to the business industry scenarios.
- Shopping Mall
- Bus Station
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary