Located in British Columbia, Canada, the University of British Columbia (UBC) is the third-highest-ranked university in Canada (QS World University Rankings 2018). It attracts 60,000+ students from more than 140 countries around the globe.
Known as a global research powerhouse, it is home to world-class laboratories for subatomic physics (TRIUMF) and a center for interactive research in sustainability. According to the QS World University Rankings, these are the top courses:
- Biomedical Engineering
- Urban Forestry
- Mineral and mining engineering
- Sports-related subjects
British Columbia’s oldest institution of higher learning is famous for producing three Canadian prime ministers including Canada's first female prime minister Kim Campbell and current prime minister Justin Trudeau.
Why Choose the University of British Columbia?
Rankings and Standings
- Ranked as the most international university in North America in 2017 ranking - Times Higher Education.
- Recognized as Canada’s “most innovative university” by Reuters in 2016.
- #31 by Shanghai Ranking’s Academic Ranking of World Universities in 2017
- Ranked 51st best university in the world and third in Canada - QS World University Rankings 2018
- Rank #27 in U.S. News & World Report Best Global University Ranking
- Canada’s 1st Fair Trade campus
- 25% of the graduate student body consists of international students.
- Annual operating budget of CAD 2.6 billion
- 16,089 faculty and staff
- Boasts 65 Olympic medalists, 71 Rhodes Scholars, and 256 Royal Society of Canada members
- Invested CAD 1.5 billion into infrastructure and facilities recently.
- Around 8,800 projects and UBC researchers file over 230 patents a year.
- More than 300 graduate programs in 142 specializations and 2000+ research supervisors. Lets you design your own program.
- Earned Canada’s 1st Gold in the STARS sustainability rating system.
- Receives funding of up to CAD 658 million for 8,973 research projects.
|Type of University||Public|
|Location||British Columbia, Canada|
|Test Scores Accepted||IELTS, TOEFL, CPE, MELAB. PTE, CAEL, |
Faculties and Schools
- This campus has 10 Faculties and 14 Schools, each offering a variety of academic programs.
- Offers more than 300 bachelor programs and 331 graduate degree programs.
Faculties at UBC's Vancouver Campus
|Faculty of Applied Science||Faculty of Medicine|
|Faculty of Forestry||Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences|
|Faculty of Arts||Faculty of Science|
|Faculty of Dentistry||Faculty of Land and Food Systems|
|Faculty of Education||Faculty of UBC Vantage College|
Schools at UBC's Vancouver Campus
|School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture||School of Library, Archival and Information Studies|
|School of Audiology and Speech Sciences||School of Nursing|
|Sauder School of Business||School of Pharmaceutical Sciences|
|School of Community and Regional Planning||School of Population and Public Health|
|School of Journalism||School of Social Work|
|School of Kinesiology||Vancouver School of Economics|
|Peter A. Allard School of Law||School of Music|
- This campus has 4 faculties and 4 schools, each offering a variety of academic programs.
- Offers 50 bachelor programs and 18 graduate programs
Faculties at UBC's Okanagan Campus
|Creative and Critical Studies||Health and Social Development|
|Management||Southern Medical Program|
Schools and Faculties at UBC's Okanagan Campus
| Irving K. Barber School of Arts and Sciences||School of Education|
|College of Graduate Studies||School of Engineering|
- 43 programs under ‘Technology, Math and Engineering’ which include undergraduate programs in Architecture, Biotechnology, Chemical Engineering, Computer Application and many others.
- 25 undergraduate programs under ‘Earth, Environmental and Sustainability’ and 24 under ‘History and Cultural Studies’.
- Business, Economics, Law, Creative Media, Arts, Chemistry, Life sciences, Education, Health Sciences, Linguistics, Language, Physics, and Astronomy are other areas in which UBC offers undergraduate courses.
- Vancouver campus offers 323 different postgraduate programs and the list is long for Okanagan campus as well.
- Biology, Education, Engineering, Fine Arts, Management, and Mathematics etc. are some prominent fields at UBC.
Campus and Residential Facilities
UBC has two main campuses located in Vancouver and in Kelowna in the Okanagan Valley.
|Students||Vancouver Campus||Okanagan Campus||Total|
- Size: More than 400 hectares
- Out of 55,887 students, 26.3% are international students.
- A 30-minute bus ride to the heart of downtown Vancouver.
- Has two additional sites: UBC Robson Square and Great Northern Way
- Home to some excellent facilities, including:
- The Centre for Interactive Research in Sustainability (CIRS)
- Museum of Anthropology, Canada’s largest teaching museum
- UBC Botanical Garden and Centre for Plant Research
- More than 8,300 students from 80+ countries
- Out of 9,125 students, 16.2% are international students.
- Opened in Kelowna in 2005.
- Eight faculties and schools
- 575 faculty, 656 staff, and 1,018 student staff
- Number of buildings: 35 across 209 hectares
- 1,561 square meter gymnasium
- Library with 650 seats, 10 study rooms, and 127 computer workstations
The University of British Columbia offers housing facilities on both the campuses. You can apply for residence while filling up the forms for UBC. There is an option to apply later as well; the deadline for which is usually May 1. Most first-year students get a guaranteed room for Winter Session from September to April.
Housing in Vancouver Campus
- A total of 13 residences
- Home to around 11,000 students last year.
- Most first-year students are accommodated in Totem Park, Place Vanier, or Orchard Commons.
- You can either buy a required Residence Meal Plan or buy an optional campus dining plan for added savings and convenience.
- Residence Meal Plan is only for students living in Place Vanier, Orchard Commons, and Totem Park.
Housing in Okanagan Campus
- A total of seven residences
- Most first-year students are accommodated in Cassiar, Kalamalka, Nicola, Purcell, or Valhalla.
- Services like Meal Plans and Family Stay are available.
- After the first year, UBC guides students on how they can apply for residence in further years of study.
English Language Requirements
- UBC accepts all major English language tests including IELTS and TOEFL.
- Score accepted for IELTS and TOEFL are 6.5 and 90 respectively for both the campuses.
- Scores for other tests are different for Vancouver campus and Okanagan campus which can be checked on the official website.
How to Apply?
- Choose your degree and campus
- Ensure you meet the General Admission Requirements, English Language Requirements, and Program-Specific Requirements.
- Create your account on UBC Future Student Portal.
- Fill in the application form. This includes some personal essay-type questions along with general information.
- Check your application status anytime at the Student Service Centre.
- The online application opens in early September and closes in mid-January for the Summer Session (May to August) and Winter Session (September to April).
- Admissions decisions for most degrees are taken in April or early May.
|International students||CAD 114|
|Canadian citizens and permanent residents||CAD 68|
Costs and Expenses
For Undergraduate Courses
Tuition is calculated on a per-credit basis.
|Student Status||Per-Credit Amount (CAD)|
|Canadian citizens and permanent residents||176.457|
|Program||Credits in First-year full course load||Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents (CAD)||International Students (CAD)||Student Fees (CAD)|
- Student fees are applicable to all students and include charges for UBC publications, Alma Mater Society, recreation, undergraduate society, athletics, etc.
- The tuition fee for both undergraduate and graduate degree programs can be deposited in 6 to 9 installments, with 3 installments each year.
|Minimum installment for domestic students (CAD)||CAD 1,169 - CAD 10,939|
|Minimum installment for international students (CAD)||CAD 1,649 to CAD 19,245|
Residence Fee for 8 Months
Shared Room (Per Person)
CAD 6,276 - CAD 7,534
UBC Scholarships and Financial Aids
UBC offers various merit-based scholarships for both Canadian and international students. Here are the most prestigious ones.
|International Major Entrance Scholarship||Exceptional international students entering undergraduate programs||Renewable for up to three additional years of study|
|Outstanding International Student Award||Meritorious international students who display involvement outside of the classroom||One-time, merit-based entrance scholarship|
|International Leader of Tomorrow Award||International undergraduate students who demonstrate superior academic achievement, leadership skills, involvement in student affairs and community service||Renewable for up to three additional years of study|
|Donald A. Wehrung International Student Award||Meritorious international undergraduate students from underprivileged or war-torn areas who would be unable to attend university without financial assistance||Renewable for up to three additional years of undergraduate study or to degree completion|
Work While You Study
Students can work on or off campus while studying at the University of British Columbia.
- This includes university-related work at facilities such as teaching hospitals, clinics, and research institutes.
- It may be located off-campus but have a formal association/affiliation with UBC.
- UBC’s Robinson Campus in downtown Vancouver is included in this.
- Students must have a valid study permit.
- They must also be a full-time international student in a degree, diploma or certificate program at UBC.
- Other requirements vary from program to program.
- Students can work for a maximum of 20 hours per week including summer.
- They can work full-time during reading week and breaks between terms.
- Exchange students or visiting international students are not eligible to work off-campus.
Co-Op Programs at the University of British Columbia
Students at UBC's Okanagan campus can apply to join the optional co-op education programs if they have a co-op work permit. Applications for the 2018-19 co-op intake are open till August 27, 2018.
Third-year students enrolled in the full-time program can apply for the program. They must have secured a cumulative academic average of 70% to qualify.
- The program provides a series of workshops.
- The students can pursue full-time paid work with the full-time school.
- Generally, it adds a year for the degree to get completed.
- It adds to experience and connections to the resume.
- For a co-op designation to be received, three work terms must be completed.
- Students will receive a salary competitive with market rates for these terms. This will be based on skills and experience of the students.
Fee for co-op programs at UBC
- Students have to pay a one-time fee of CAD 247 for pre-employment training.
- This is to be paid upon the acceptance of the program.
- Each co-op work term is an approved UBC course.
- The associated course fee of CAD 759.75 is due at the beginning of each four-month work term.
UBC Alumni Network
UBC has an Alumni Association comprising 337,000+ members who live and work in 148 nations across the globe. You can get in touch by contacting one of their offices in Vancouver, Okanagan or Hong Kong, listed below.
|UBC, Point Grey Campusfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|UBC, Okanagan Campusemail@example.com|
- Access to a number of alumni leadership committees
- A free alumni UBC A-Card that offers special discounts from UBC partners
- Financial services like BMO alumni UBC Mastercard, TD Home and Auto Insurance, as well as Manulife Health, Dental, Life and Travel Insurance, with special privileges.
- UBC Alumni email forwarding service
- Invitation to event and meeting venues such as Robert H. Lee Alumni Centre, Cecil Green Park House
- Free access to thousands of journals, UBC degree frames, and merchandise
- Justin Trudeau, 23rd Prime Minister of Canada
- Bertram Brockhouse, Nobel laureate (Physics, 1994)
- Belinda Wong, President, Starbucks China
- Rick Hansen, CEO, Rick Hansen Foundation
- Brian Wong, Founder and CEO, Kiip