Jorhat Engineering College (JEC) is a Government college in Assam, established in 1959. This Institute is the second Government college in Assam. The college, affiliated with Assam Science and Technology University, is accredited by the All India Council for Technical Education. It was ranked under top 100 Engineering colleges of India by Dalal Street Investment Journal in 2010 on the day of its Golden Jubilee.
JEC offers B.E. in Electric, Mechanical, Civil, Computer Science Engineering and Instrumental Engineering, M.E. in Electrical and Instrumentation Engineering, Civil Engineering and Mechanical Engineering and Ph.D Courses.
Some of the prime companies and organizations like TCS, Cognizant, Dabur, OIL India Limited, Water Commission of India visit the campus for placement drive.
The students in the institute are selected on the basis of the merit list of Common Entrance Examination conducted by the Directorate of Technical Education, Assam. The scholarship is also provided to the students according to various categories.
Jorhat Engineering College Highlights
|Established| Institute Type||1959| Public|
|Set by||Government of Assam|
|Entrance Exam||CEE (Common Entrance Exam)|
|Courses offered||B.E. in Mechanical, Civil, Electrical, Computer Science Engineering and Instrumentation Engineering
M.E. in Mechanical, Civil, Electrical and Instrumentation Engineering
M.C.A and PhD
|Popular Courses||Bachelor of Engineering and Masters of Engineering|
|Top Recruiters||Cognizant, TCS, Wipro, OIL India Limited, Vedanta, Dalmia Bharat Cement|
|Facilities Available||10 hostels separately for boys and girls, Transportation, Guest Houses for Parents of students and Library|
|Campus Area||78 Acres|
The institution offers an overall of 5 Bachelor Courses in different disciplines of Engineering, 3 Masters Courses, M.C.A. and PhD.
|B.E.||Duration: 4 years
Eligibility- The candidate must have passed Higher Secondary Examination of the Assam Higher Secondary Education Council or its Equivalent with an minimum aggregate of 50% (45% for SC and 40% for ST)
Specializations: Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Instrumentation Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering
|M.E.||Duration: 2 years
Eligibility- The student must have a degree of Bachelors in Engineering from the required discipline
Specialization: Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Production and Industrial Engineering*, Electrical and Instrumentation Engineering, Instrumentation and control Engineering**
|Masters of Computer application||Duration: 3 years
Eligibility- The candidate must be a Engineering graduate from a relevant discipline
*Production and Industrial Engineering: The ones with specialization in this branch have the knowledge of Operations research, Quality Control principles and techniques, Project management, Precision Measurement, Automation, supply chain management, production planning and control and Inspection etc.
**Instrumentation and control Engineering: Being an interdisciplinary area it caters to the need of Oil and Gas Refinery, Petrochemical, Chemical, Automobile, Fertilizer, Power, Food Processing and Manufacturing, Plastic, Agriculture, Dairy, Tea, Paper, Textile industries. Along with it covers VLSI technology, MEMS and Nano technology and Robotics etc.
Check JEC Courses & Fees
- For the acquiring general seats of Bachelor of Engineering, the admission is strictly based on the merit list of the Common Entrance Examination conducted by the Directorate of Technical Education, Assam.
- Candidates seeking admission into M.E and MCA need to appear for the entrance test conducted by the College and Interview for the selection Process.
How to Apply?
The candidates must follow the below-listed steps in order to complete the registration Process for Assam CEE to get admission in BE:
- Registration of Candidate: The candidates need to register themselves by providing basic information like Email ID, Phone Number, Name and Date of Birth.
- Filling of Application Form: Fill the application form with respect to the Personal Details, Academic Qualification, and Residential Details.
- Uploading of Documents: Soft copies of the documents should be uploaded with the application form in the prescribed format only.
- Payment of Application Fee: Pay the application fee of INR 600 in online mode through Net Banking or Offline through Bank Challan.
For admission in ME and MCA
- Application form will be available in the official Website
- Before submitting the application Form, a candidate is required to create an ID and Password for future references.
- Once the ID is created, the candidate can fill up the application form and fill the required areas.
- Application fee will be required to pay via Net banking or any online source.
- After the demand draft is verified, the application form is ready for submission.
Read more: JEC Admission
The placement cell of Jorhat Engineering college, not only works for the cent percent placements of the students but it also provides three internships for every student in the period of four years. Some of the prominent organisations like PWD, Indian Railway, NRL, BRPL, BCPL, BSNL, NEEPCO, ONGC, ASTC, PWD(Assam), Airport Authority of India, OIL, IOCL etc. help students to experience industry exposure with there summer or winter internships.
Summary of Placement
|Year||No. of Placements|
|2019||19 (Till Date)|
Placement summary of 2018 batch
|S. No.||Company||No. of students|
|9.||Go Speedy Go||12|
Click here JEC Placement
Being a government based Institution, every year the scholarship in the Institute is given on the various criteria viz. 1- Post Matric Scholarship to OBC students, 2- Post Matric Scholarship to ST(Plain) students 3- Technological and Engineering Scholarship 4- MERIT-CUM-MEANS Scholarship.
Check JEC Scholarship
Summary of the faculty members of the college:
|Courses||No. of Faculty Members|
|1- Civil Engineering||Professor- 2
Associate professor- 3
Assistant professor- 5
|2- Mechanical Engineering||Professor- 2
Associate professor- 4
Assistant professor- 7
|3- Electrical Engineering||Professor- 1
Associate professor- 1
Assistant professor- 5
|4- Instrumentation Engineering||Professor- 1
Assistant professor- 3
|5- Computer Science||Professor- 1
Assistant professor- 4
|6- M.C.A.||Professor- 1
Associate professor- 1
Assistant professor- 2
Read more: JEC Faculty
Hostels: The Institute has 10 hostels for it's students separately for boys and girls. The hostel has hygienic dining and cooking areas for students concerning their health, libraries and wifi connectivity in every corner of the hostel for academic growth.
Library: The Institute has a library with a capacity of 20 people in the reading room. It has 24,576 volumes of books for different subjects. The library is managed with the software named LIBSYS, it is computerized for indexing, along with digital archives.
Transportation: The college owns three buses, which provide transportation facility to all the major and minor stops.
Guest House: The Institute is also enriched with a guesthouse for the college's guests, parents or guardians of students, relatives of employees, Alumnus, new faculty members, or the guest appointed by the Authority.
Medical: In case of a medical emergency, the students are taken to Jorhat Medical College which is situated 5 kms away from the campus.
The reservation is allotted on the following criteria:
|Criteria of Reservation||Percentage of Reservation Allotted|
|1- Schedule Castes||7%|
|2- Schedule Tribes (Plains)||10%|
|3- Schedule Tribes (Hills)||5%|
|4- Other Backward Classes (including MOBC)||15%|
|5- Wards of Ex-servicemen||1 seat|
|6- Children and Grandchildren of Freedom Fighters||1 seat|
|7- Physically Handicapped||1 seat|
|8- Tea Garden Labour Community||1 seat|
|9- Best cadet of the NCC||1 seat|
|10- Sports Person representing the state||1 seat|
Ques. Are the students outside Assam able to take Admission in the college?
Ques. Is there any condition of Exemption from the Exams?
- Students who are nominated against reserved seats for other states, Union Territories and Foreign Countries by their respective governments but provided they should be eligible as per the criteria.
- The top 10 candidates of Higher Secondary Examination (Science Stream) from Assam Higher Secondary Education Council, but they must score a minimum of 75% of marks in aggregate in which they are seeking admission. They should contact the college within 10 days of the commencement of the result.
Ques. Which is the best course of JEC?
Ques. What is the take of the college on Ragging?