The Queen Mary’s College of Tamil Nadu, Chennai was established in 1914, since the Government of Madras founded the Madras Women’s College. The college is affiliated to University of Madras and re-accredited by NAAC with ‘A’ Grade. Initially, the institute offered only Intermediate courses. However, in 1916, the college started offering graduate courses in History and Economics. The institute now offers UG, PG, M.Phil, and Ph.D. courses. The institute has an intake capacity of 1502 Undergraduates, 218 Postgraduates, 55 M.Phil and 12 Ph.D students. Admission to the courses is done on the basis of marks secured in the previous qualifying examination.
Queen Marys’s College Highlights
|Established | Institute Type||1915 | Government|
|Approved by||Government of Tamil Nadu|
|Campus Area||17 acre|
|Courses offered||UG, PG, Research Courses,Ph.D|
|Total Students||1502 UG | 218 PG |12 Ph.D|
Queen Mary’s College Courses
The college offers various Under-Graduate, Post- graduate, M.Phil and Ph.D Courses under various fields. Tabulated below are the details for some of the popular courses:
|B.A||Tamil||10+2 from Art stream||3 years|
|B.Sc||Mathematics||10+2 from Science Stream||3 years|
|Food Service Management|
|Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics|
|B.Com||General||10+2 from Commerce Stream||3 years|
|M.Sc||Mathematics||Bachelor degree in Science||2 years|
|Plant Biology and Biotechnology|
|Food and Nutrition|
|Family Resource Management|
|Emerging Technology Food service management and Dietetics|
|M.A.||Tamil, English, History, Economics, Music, Sociology||Bachelor degree in Commerce||2 years|
|M.Phil||Research Course Science and Arts||Graduation||2 years|
|Ph.D||Arts and Science||Post Graduation||Minimum 3 years|
Read more: Queen Mary’s College Courses & Fees
Queen Mary’s College Admission
Queen Mary’s College offers BA, B.Com and B.Sc. courses at the UG level and MA, M.Sc., and M.Com at the PG level. In addition to this, it is also known for offering research courses of M.Phil and Ph.D.
- Only Women candidates are eligible to apply.
- For UG Courses, the candidate must qualify the Intermediate and for PG Courses, the candidate must qualify the UG Course from University of Tamil Nadu or any recognized University.
The College follows all the Government norms and rules in taking admission of the candidates.
- Rank list will be prepared and will be pasted on the College notice board on the basis of rank (out of 400).
- Special Reservations are available for the Physically Challenged, Sports and Tamil Nadu candidates.
How to Apply?
- The application form for any courses will be issued only from the college with the Prospectus after successful payment of INR 50.
- The SC/ST candidates can issue this form free of cost after submitting a photocopy of their community certificate.
- The form should be submitted within 10 working days to the college office.
- Photocopy of the application form will not be accepted.
For Detailed Process: Queen Mary’s College Admission
Queen Mary’s College Placement
The college has been conducting placement, however not in high grades. But the college continuously put efforts on providing guidance on getting jobs. Some of the data of the placement session of 2019-20 session has been listed below:
|S.No||Name of the Company||Number of listed candidates|
|3.||Congruent Solutions Private||4|
|4.||Ninestars Information Technology||5|
|5.||My Money Mantra||10|
|6.||Domex E-Data Private Ltd.||5|
|7.||Waycool Foods And Products Ltd.||10|
|8.||M.Tech VALLIAPPA FOUNDATION||30|
|9.||Riddhi Corporate Services Pvt Ltd.||286|
|10.||HDB Financial Services||142|
|11.||Man Power Group Services India||118|
|12.||Team Lease Services||351|
|13.||THINKSYNQ Services Pvt. Ltd.||36|
|17.||MFET-Tech, Mahindra Foundation Smart Centres||30|
Read more: Queen Mary’s College Placement
Queen Mary’s College Scholarship
Queen Mary’s College offers scholarships to needy students. These are offered in the following categories:
- Concession for SC/ST:
Full Fees Concession for SC/ST students under Chennai College rule 9.The students can apply with certificates to avail this scholarship.
- State Scholarship
The candidate who belongs to Tamil Nadu State and has Family income INR 12,000 per annum.
- MBC Scholarship(no income limitation for MBC Students-free education)
MBC students should fill the form and avail the scholarship and concession on books and hostel fees.
- BC Scholarship
BC students whose parents income is below INR1,00,000 and who is the first graduate in their family can avail free education.
- Scholarships for physically handicapped.
- Scholarship for Indians from Sri-Lanka
- Scholarship for Indians send from Burma
- Fees Concession for the students of Government Servants who expired during the service.
Read more: Queen Mary’s College Scholarship
Queen Mary’s Faculty
The college provides excellent and skilled faculty for different specialization of the courses. The founder Principal of the college was Selvi D. Delahey who was an M.A/ B.T degree holder. She had a great experience of education, teaching, and learning.
For more information: Queen Mary’s Faculty
Queen Mary’s Facilities
The college provides mentioned below facilities to their students to help them with all possible facilities to achieve their dreams.
- Library: The college has its own library where you can access 75,000+ e-books, 3,500 e-journals, and even faculty members have their individual access to these books and journals.
- Hostel: The students have hostel facilities and have to pay hostel fees to apply for accommodation.
- Bank: The college has a bank on their campus, so it is easy for the students to access their money and they need not to go away in search of banks to take money from account
- Cooperative stores: The college has cooperative stores where you can have all types of things you need. Books, Daily use products, pens and eatable objects.
Queen Mary’s FAQs
Ques. Does the college have hostel facilities?
Ques. Does college provide any medical facility inside the campus?
Ques. What are the documents required at the time of admission?
- 10th and 12th mark sheets and passing certificate
- Bachelor’s degree and mark sheet
- Master’s degree and mark sheet
- M.Phil/ M.Litt degree and mark sheet
- Caste Certificate, if applicable
- Transfer/ Migration Certificate
- Conduct Certificate
- Medical Certificate
- Passport size Photographs
Ques. Is there any entrance test conducted by college for admission to UG courses?
Ques. What is the fees structure of M.Sc?