Bethune College Kolkata, which is affiliated to the University of Calcutta at the degree course level, is famous for being the first ever women’s college in Asia. It offers undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Arts and Science streams. The college provides honours degree for eight subjects belonging to the Arts group whereas for the Science stream, it offers a total of nine honours subjects. All the honours subjects are accompanied by two distinct general subjects, which are mandatory to take up.
As far as PG courses are concerned, the college offers master degree in arts and science for a total of six subjects.
- All the undergraduate courses comprise of three years while the postgraduate course is of two years
- The college does not offer any general courses
- Application for admission in both UG and PG courses can be submitted online by logging on to the college’s website i.e. www.bethuneadmissions.ac.in
- 22% and 6% of total number of seats in each honours subject are reserved for SC and ST candidates respectively. SC/ST/OBC-A/OBC-B candidates from only West Bengal are eligible for reservation benefits
For additional information regarding admission to the UG and PG courses, click on the following:
- Bethune College BA/B.Sc. (Hons.) Admission
- Bethune College MA and M.Sc. Admission
Bethune College Kolkata Admission Schedule 2019 (Tentative)
|Course Name||Start of Application||Last Date of Application||Date of Publication of Merit-List|
|PG Courses||June 24, 2019||July 06, 2019||July 07, 2019|
|Undergraduate (BA/ B.Sc/ B.Com)||May 27, 2019||June 06, 2019 ||June 07, 2019|
Bethune College Kolkata B.A. and B.Sc. Admission 2019
Bethune College Kolkata provides Bachelor of Arts (H) programmes with eight different specializations – Bengali, English, History, Philosophy, Political Science, Sanskrit, Hindi, and Psychology. Along with Arts, the college also offers Honours courses in Bachelor of Science as well. Students with science background can opt for any particular major subject from Botany, Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics, Mathematics, Physics, Zoology, Statistics, Zoology and Psychology.
The total strength for every B.A. and B.SC programme varies from subject to subject. The total number of seats present for B.A. (H) including all the eight specialization is 269. For B.Sc., the college has a total of 275 seats for the nine subjects its offers. All the honours programmes are of three year duration each.
Admission to the Bethune College Kolkata is strictly done on the basis of merit, i.e., the percentage of marks received by the candidate for her Higher Secondary or any equivalent exam. However, for admission to English and Bengali Honours courses, the candidate needs to appear for an entrance test.
Key points to be noted:
- Each candidate can apply for a maximum of three honours subjects.
- Candidates who has passed the Higher Secondary from WBCHSE or its equivalent Examination from any recognised board not before 2016 are eligible to apply for the UG course
- Candidates must have secured the minimum passing marks in the last qualifying exam in the general subjects chosen
- The aggregate is calculated on Best Four basis. (The considered subjects must be a 100 marks paper in the last qualifying examination and should not include optional subjects like Environmental Education/Physical Education
- Selection for the admission criteria will be strictly done on the basis of merit. Merit is calculated by the index marks for all students
- Candidates belonging to SC/ST category must secure 25% and OBC candidates must secure 10% of the INDEX marks of the last admitted general candidate in each honours paper
- Admission test will be held for Bengali honours and English honours courses. Admission Test in each subject will be of 50 marks and 1 hour duration.
- A broad syllabus of Admission Test papers will be as follows :
- Bengali (Hons.) - History of Bengali Literature, Contemporary Bengali Literature and Grammar (10+2 level)
- English (Hons.) - Grammar, Composition, Acquaintances with the Literary Texts (10+2 level)
- The venue for the admission test will be the college premise
List of B.A. and B.Sc. Courses with Number of Seats Available at Bethune College
|Course Name||Specialisation||Seats||Minimum eligibility||Fee Per Year|
|B.A.||Bengali||36||10+2 or equivalent||55%||Bengali - 60% English - 50%||Rs. 1181/ Rs. 1196 (with Psychology as general subject)|
|English||46||75%||English – 85%|
|Hindi||20||50%||Hindi – 50% English - 45%|
|History||36||55%||English - 55%|
|Philosophy||36||55%||Philosophy/ Psychology - 55% English – 50%|
|Political Science||36||55%||English – 55%|
|Sanskrit||40||50%||Sanskrit – 55% English - 50%|
|Psychology||19||60%||English – 60%|
|B.Sc.||Botany||36||10+2 or equivalent||60%||Botany / Biology - 65% Chemistry – 55% English – 50%||Rs. 1356|
|Chemistry||38||60%||Chemistry – 65% Mathematics - 60% Physics – 50% English – 50%||Rs. 1371|
|Computer Science||23||60%||Physics / Computer Science / Computer Application – 60% Mathematics – 60% English – 50%||Rs. 1371|
|Economics||36||60%||Mathematics – 65% English – 50%||Rs. 1356|
|Mathematics||36||60%||Mathematics – 65% English - 50%||Rs. 1371|
|Physics||36||60%||Physics – 65% Mathematics – 60% English – 50%||Rs. 1371|
|Statistics||15||60%||Zoology / Biology – 65% Chemistry – 55% English – 50%||Rs. 1371|
|Zoology||36||60%||Mathematics – 65% English – 50%||Rs. 1356|
|Psychology||19||60%||English – 60%||Rs. 1356|
Bethune College M.A. and M.Sc. Admission 2019
Bethune College offers two years semi-autonomous PG courses affiliated to the University of Calcutta. It provides M.A. degree with English and Bengali specialisations while M.Sc. degree is provided in Mathematics, Botany and Zoology. In addition, the college also provides M.A./M.Sc. degree in Applied Psychology.
Bethune College accepts admission for the PG courses on the basis of merit for 60% of seats reserved for students from Calcutta University (CU) only, while the selection for the rest 40% seats is done via admission test.
Key points to be noted:
- For 60% seats reserved for CU candidates, only students passing out as honours graduate from Calcutta University or any affiliated college, in not before 2016 can apply.
- Selection of students for the seats reserved for CU candidates will be done on the basis of honours marks obtained in the Graduation level.
- For rest 40% of seats, both CU and non-CU candidates can apply. The selection of these seats will be based on Admission Test.
List of M.A. and M.Sc. Courses with Number of Seats Available at Bethune College
|Course name||Specialisation||Seats||Minimum Eligibility||Fee|
|CU candidates||Other University candidates|
|M.A.||Bengali||18||50% Marks in Hons. Subject for General category and 40% in Hons. subject for Reserved categories.||55% in Hons. subject for General category and 40% in Hons. subject for Reserved categories.||Rs 2,575 per year + Rs 2,000 (Sp. College Caution Deposit)|
|English||16||50% Marks in Hons. Subject for General category and 40% in Hons. subject for Reserved categories.||60% in Hons. subject for General category and 40% in Hons. subject for Reserved categories.|
|M.A. / M.Sc.||Applied Psychology||10||55% Marks in Hons. Subject for General category and 40% in Hons. subject for Reserved categories.||60% in Hons. subject for General category and 40% in Hons. subject for Reserved categories.||Rs 2,575 per year (M.A.) / Rs. 2,610 (M.Sc.) + Rs 2,000 (Sp. College Caution Deposit)|
|M.Sc.||Botany||21||55% Marks in Hons. Subject for General category and 40% in Hons. subject for Reserved categories.||60% in Hons. subject for General category and 40% in Hons. subject for Reserved categories.||Rs. 2,610 + Rs 2,000 (Sp. College Caution Deposit)|
|Mathematics||16||45% Marks in Hons. Subject for General category and 40% in Hons. subject for Reserved categories.||55% in Hons. subject for General category and 40% in Hons. subject for Reserved categories.|
|Zoology||21||55% Marks in Hons. Subject for General category and 40% in Hons. subject for Reserved categories.||60% in Hons. subject for General category and 40% in Hons. subject for Reserved categories.|
Bethune College Application Process:
- Log on to the college’s website www.bethuneadmissions.ac.in to fill up the application form
- After the application is submitted, take printouts of application form and bank challans
- Deposit the application fee (Rs. 130 for each honours subject) at any branch of Indian Bank
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College