Madras Veterinary College (MVC) is an affiliation of Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (TANUVAS) and is currently one of the best and most well-reputed Veterinary colleges in India. The college offers UG, PG, and Doctoral programs in the respective field. Admission to MVC Chennai is both Merit and Entrance-based. The college also provides various scholarships to the deserving students.
Madras Veterinary College Highlights
|Established | Institute Type||1903 | Private|
|Approved by||Veterinary Council of India (VIC)|
|Courses offered||UG, PG, and Doctoral|
|Selection criteria||Merit and Entrance-based|
|Accepted Exam Score||ICAR, and University CET|
|Popular Courses||B.Sc, B.VSc B.Tech, and M.Sc|
|Facilities Available||Library, Hostel, Auditorium, Sports|
|Address||Vepery High Road, Periamet, Vepery, Choolai, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600007|
Madras Veterinary College Courses
MVC offers a total of 15 regular courses in the fields of Veterinary Science, Technology, and Management through UG, PG, Doctoral, and Diploma programs. The table below gives a brief about the major courses of Madras Veterinary College:
|BVSc & AH||
|M.Tech (Food Technology)||
|MBA (Food and Livestock Business Management)||
Read More: MVC Chennai Courses & Fees
Madras Veterinary College Admission
Admission to the Undergraduate and Postgraduate degree courses at MVC are merit-based and follow the guidelines prescribed by TANUVAS and the Government of Tamil Nadu.
- Candidates who have completed 10+2 or higher secondary from a recognized board with Physics, Chemistry and Biology/ Botany/ Zoology as compulsory subjects, or have completed a vocational course in Agricultural Practices/ Dairy/ Poultry, are eligible to apply for the BVSc and AH program.
- Candidates seeking admission to the MVSc and M.Sc programs must complete graduation degree courses in the relevant subject.
How to apply?
Candidates should apply for admission online by visiting the official website of the university. Download the filled-in application and submit the hard copy with the required documents.
Documents required at the time of admission are as follows:
- Attested photocopy of mark sheet of HSC/CBSE/Equivalent examination
- Attested photocopy of Transfer Certificate
- Attested photocopy of Permanent Community Certificate (if applicable)
- Attested photocopy of the relevant certificate as given in Annexure I to VI of the Prospectus (if applicable)
- Signature of the candidate and parents/ guardians.
Read More: MVC Chennai Admission
Madras Veterinary College Cut off
The cut-off marks are based on HSC Marks of the year (2018-19) Tamil Nadu State Board examination pattern. However, the aggregate marks may vary in the coming years. Given below are the cutoffs for Open Category/ General:
Madras Veterinary College Scholarship
The university offers several scholarships to the deserving students. Scholarships provided are as follows:
- SC/ ST/ SCA/ ST Welfare and Backward Class Scholarship.
- Scholarships are given by the Government of India, Government of Tamil Nadu and Indian Council of Agricultural Science.
- TANUVAS Merit Scholarship.
- Pattukottai Azhagiri Endowment Scholarship.
- Scholarships from other agencies and financial assistance from Tamil Nadu Agricultural Labourers- Farmers (Social Security & Welfare).
Note: The cost of application form of INR 350 paid online will be refunded to SC/ ST/ SCA candidates admitted along with a scholarship.
Madras Veterinary College Hostel
The college provides hostel accommodation to its students. The student’s hostel is located near the college and has nine blocks with a capacity to accommodate 750 students. It has separate hostels and messes for boys and girls. Facilities like modernized kitchen, reading room, indoor stadium, solar water heater, and RO water are provided for the concerned students.
Madras Veterinary College FAQs
Ques. What is the intake capacity of Madras Veterinary College in UG programs?
Ans. The course-wise intake capacity of MVC Chennai is as follows:
|BVSc & AH||360|
|BTech (Food Technology)||40|
|BTech (Poultry Technology)||40|
|BTech (Dairy Technology)||20|
Ques. What are the colleges affiliated to TANUVAS?
Ans. Colleges affiliated to TANUVAS are as follows:
- Madras Veterinary College
- Veterinary College and Research Institute, Namakkal- Read More
- Veterinary College and Research Institute, Tirunelveli- Read More
- Veterinary College and Research Institute, Orathanadu
- College of Food and Dairy Technology, Koduvalli- Read More
- College of Poultry Production and Management, Hosur- Read More
- Institute of Poultry Production and Management (IPPM), Madhavaram
- Post Graduate Research Institute in Animal Sciences, Kattupakkam- Read More
Ques. How are students selected for Ph.D. programs?
Ans. Students for Ph.D. programs are selected on the basis of marks obtained in the Entrance Examination and other criteria as detailed below:
|OGPA / Marks in PG Degree||40|
|Service / Experience||10|
|Medals / Awards||10|
Ques. What is the cut off for the reserved category?
Ans. The cut off for other reserved categories are as follows:
|BVSc & AH (Academic)||196.00||194.25||188.00||192.50||189.75||185.50||180.50|
|BVSc & AH (Vocational)||188.17||185.50||163.67||183.83||185.33||184.33||-|
Ques. When is the admission notification released?
Ans. The admission notification is released in the month of May.