Madras Veterinary College was established in the year 1903, and is one of the first colleges offering courses in veterinary medicine in the country. It is affiliated to the Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (TANUVAS) and located in the city of Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
The college offers BVSc in Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry, MVSc courses in 22 disciplines, M.Sc. course in Biotechnology, and PG Diploma courses in Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosis and Companion Animal Practice. Additionally, Madras Veterinary College also offers doctoral (Ph.D) programs in Biotechnology and 20 disciplines of veterinary and animal sciences.
- Admission to the undergraduate and postgraduate degree courses at MVC are merit based and follow the guidelines prescribed by TANUVAS and the Government of Tamil Nadu.
- Candidates who have completed 10+2 or higher secondary from a recognized board with Physics, Chemistry and Biology/ Botany/Zoology as compulsory subjects, or have completed a vocational course in Agricultural Practices/Dairy/Poultry, are eligible to apply for the BVSc and AH program.
- Candidates seeking admission to the MVSc and M.Sc programs must complete graduation degree courses in the relevant subject.
- MVSc applicants must be BVSc/ BVSc and AH degree holders from TANUVAS or any other college recognized by the Veterinary Council of India, with at least 55% marks.
- Ph.D. applicants must complete Master’s degree courses in the specialization area they want to conduct a research on, with at least 65% marks or an OGPA of 2.75/4.00 or a CGPA of 6.50/10.00.
- PG Diploma applicants must complete undergraduate programs in Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry from TANVUS or any other recognized university with 50% marks.
- Candidates applying to the UG programs are selected on the basis of academic merit, i.e. marks scored in 10+2 examinations.
- PG and Ph. D applicants must appear for and produce scores obtained in the state Common Entrance Test to be eligible for admission.
- Candidates are shortlisted on the basis of their academic performance and entrance exam scores via counselling conducted by TANUVAS.
- 75% candidates are admitted through the Tamil Nadu state quota while 25% seats are available for All-India candidates applying through ICAR entrance exam in the PG and Ph. D programs.
- Admission forms are available on the university website.
- The minimum age to apply is 17 years as on December 31, 2020.
Admission Highlight of Madras Veterinary College 2021
|Name of the college||Madras Veterinary College|
|University Type||State Govt Aided|
|Basic Admission Criteria||Merit-based, Entrance-based for PG|
|Last Date to Apply||Last week of May for UG, Last week of July for PG|
|Name of Entrance||University CET, ICAR|