Darjeeling College of Engineering, established in 1948, is an Arts, Science, and Commerce college offering a total of 29 courses spread across 3 streams specifically Commerce and Banking, Arts and Science. Under the three streams, the college offers 5 degrees, namely, B.A., B.Sc., B.Com., M.A. and M.Sc. Admission to bachelor’s and master’s courses is only based on merit and availability of seats. The application process of the college is online and the applicants must fill the application form on the official website along with all the necessary documents.
Darjeeling Government College Highlights
|Established | Type||1948 | State|
|Affiliated to||University of North Bengal, Darjeeling|
|Courses||B.A., B.Sc., B.Com., M.A., and M.Sc|
Darjeeling Government College Courses
The Darjeeling Government College (DGC), Darjiling aims at advancing the knowledge of students for the benefit of the society, industry, and environment, making the students, as well as faculty, behave at the epitome of honesty, integrity, and professionalism.
|BA (General)||Minimum 45% marks in Senior Secondary Examination||3 years||-|
|B.Sc (General)||Minimum 45% marks in Senior Secondary Examination||3 years||-|
|B.Com (General)||Minimum 45% marks in Senior Secondary Examination||3 years||-|
|B.Com (Hons)||Minimum 55% marks in Senior Secondary Examination||3 years||Accountancy|
|B.A (Hons)||Minimum 55% marks in Senior Secondary Examination||3 years||Bengali, English, Economics, History, Nepali, Political Science, Philosophy, and Geography|
|B.Sc (Hons)||Minimum 55% marks in Senior Secondary Examination||3 years||Botany, Chemistry, Mathematics, Microbiology, Physics, and Zoology|
|M.A||Minimum 50% aggregate in BA (Honors)||2 years||English and Nepali|
|M.Sc||Minimum aggregate of 50% in B.SC (Honors)||2 years||Zoology and Botany|
Read More: Darjeeling Government College Fee Structure
Darjeeling Government College Admission
Admission to the college under the UG or PG program is merit-based and on the availability of the seats.
For BA (Honors), the college offers 8 specializations, for B.Sc.(Honors) the college offers 6 specializations, along with a specialization in Accountancy for B.Com (Honors) students. It also offers three general courses, namely, B.A., B.Sc., B.Com.
For MA, the college offers specializations in English and Nepali whereas, for M.Sc., the college provides specializations in Botany and Zoology. There are a total of 33 seats in each course and admission is merit-based.
How to apply?
The application process for the UG and PG programs is nearly the same. The application form is available on the official website of the college but no fees need to be paid to register or fill the application form.
After the results of the merit list are announced or published, then the student needs to send their documents for e-verification. Documents that need to be attached are - a passport-sized photo, mark sheet of Higher Secondary Examination, age proof certificate, physically handicapped certificate (if need be), and caste certificate.
A person having a disability (PwD) is given a 5% reservation in every category. Candidates of other universities who are seeking admission for MA in Nepali or English need to clear the admission test of the university.
Read More: Darjeeling Government College Admission
Darjeeling Government College Facilities
Darjeeling Government College, Darjeeling offers a lot of facilities to the students that are admitted into the college. Some of them are as follows:
- Girls Hostel: The college provides good hostel accommodation to its female students by providing them with a girl’s hostel facility.
- Library: The library sub-committee organizes meetings for the growth, development, and maintenance of the Central as well as Departmental Seminar Library. The poor and meritorious students are provided with the facility of issuing books from the Book Bank. The total area of the library is around 4160 sq.ft.
- Sports: The college owns a sports ground having dimensions 29m by 16m. Even though it isn’t very large, it is essential and significant considering the little space there is available in the hilly regions. Students can play outdoor games such as badminton, volleyball, basketball.
- The Annual Sports Ceremony of the college is held at the Leblong Public Ground.
- IT Infrastructure: The students are provided with computer labs and excellent IT infrastructure within the college.
- Auditorium: The auditorium of the college is on the first floor of the main building. It is provided with a balcony and has a seating capacity of 300.
- Laboratories: The college consists of various science departments that are essentially fitted with well-equipped laboratories. The laboratories are fitted with basic facilities that are required to perform practicals in the classes.
- Infrastructure: The Darjeeling Government College, Darjeeling is situated on the Lebong Cart Road close to Padmaja Naidu Zoological Park at an elevation of 2134 meters. A new block for the Science and Geography departments has been built along with a new chamber for the Principal.
Darjeeling Government College FAQs
Ques. Does DGC offer Master’s courses as well?
Ques. What are the admission criteria for the college?
Ques. Where can we avail the application form for the college?
Ques. Is it worth studying in such a good environment? As a student, would I be able to concentrate?
Ques. How is the faculty at DGC?