MA or Master of Arts from IGNOU is the most popular choice when it comes to pursuing MA from distance in India.
MA Related Articles
The Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) is a central university in New Delhi, India which aims to provide quality education to all segments of society.
- MA from IGNOU offers a flexible course curriculum.
- The college offers more than 20 MA courses, which include History, Philosophy, Political Science, English, Adult Education, English, etc.
- MA from IGNOU fee ranges from INR 9,000 - INR 22,000.
- There are multiple job opportunities available after MA from IGNOU. Students can become a content writer, economist, translator, historian, psychologist, or apply for government jobs. The average salary ranges between INR 2,50,000 - INR 8,00,000.
|MA IGNOU Duration||2 to 5 Years|
|MA IGNOU Fees||INR 9,000 - INR 25,000|
|MA IGNOU Admission||Merit-Based|
|MA IGNOU Eligibility||Bachelors’ degree from any discipline.|
|MA IGNOU Top Courses||MA in Psychology (MAPC), MA Economics (MEC), MA Political Science (MPS), MA Education (MAEDU), MA Hindi (MAH)|
MA From IGNOU: Courses
IGNOU New Delhi offers many types of MA courses under its School of Social Sciences and School of Education.
The most popular MA Courses are:
- Master of Arts (Economics) (MEC)
- Master of Arts (Education) (MAEDU)
- Master of Arts (English) (MAE)
- Master of Arts (Hindi) (MHD)
- Master of Arts (Political Science) (MPS)
A list of all the MA from IGNOU courses along with the program fee are tabulated below:
|Master of Arts (Economics) (MEC)||INR 12,000|
|MA in Distance Education (MADE)||INR 10,800|
|Master of Arts (Education) (MAEDU)||INR 16,200|
|Master of Arts in Adult Education (MAAE)||INR 14,400|
|Master of Arts (English) (MAE)||INR 12,000|
|Master of Arts in Extension and Development Studies (MAEDS)||INR 9,000|
|Master of Arts in Development Studies (MADVS)||INR 11,000|
|Master of Arts in Gandhi and Peace Studies (MAGPS)||INR 9,000|
|MA in Gender and Development Studies (MAGD)||INR 10,800|
|Master of Arts in Women’s and Gender Studies (MAWGS)||INR 14,400|
|Master of Arts (Hindi) (MHD)||INR 12,200|
|Master of Arts (History) (MAH)||INR 9,000|
|Master of Arts (Sanskrit) (MSK)||INR 12,000|
|Master of Arts (Philosophy) (MAPY)||INR 9,000|
|Master of Arts in Journalism and Mass Communication (MAJMC)||INR 25,000|
|Master of Arts (Political Science) (MPS)||INR 9,000|
|MA in Psychology (MAPC)||INR 15,800|
|Master of Arts (Public Administration) (MPA)||INR 9,000|
|Master of Arts (Rural Development) (MARD)||INR 9,000|
|Master of Arts (Sociology) (MSO)||INR 9,000|
|MA in Translation Studies (MATS)||INR 10,800|
MA From IGNOU Online Courses
Currently, three MA courses are offered online by IGNOU.
|Course Name||Course Fee||Eligibility|
|MA in Translation Studies (MATS)||INR 9,600||Graduate in any discipline with adequate knowledge of Hindi and English.|
|Master of Arts (Hindi) (MHD)||INR 12,000||Bachelors’ degree or higher from a recognized university.|
|Master of Arts in Gandhi and Peace Studies (MAGPS)||INR 9,000||Graduation from any discipline from a recognized university.|
MA From IGNOU Syllabus
The course syllabus varies depending on what type of MA Specialization you have opted for but each MA course consists of 4-5 core subjects and a variety of optional subjects a student needs to study throughout the course.
Mentioned below are some common subjects included in some popular MA courses.
|MA Course||Subjects and Topics|
|MA in English||British Literature||American Literature|
|African Literature||Indian Writings in Literature|
|Literary Theory||Commonwealth Literature|
|MA in Hindi||History of Hindi Literature- Ancient & Medieval||Novel and Short Story|
|Hindi Poetry and Proses||Ancient Hindi Poetry|
|Origin of Hindi Language||Hindi Drama|
|MA in History||Ancient History and its Theory||Practice of History|
|Polity in Medieval India||History of Marathas|
|Indian Independence||History of Women In Indian Independence|
|MA in Philosophy||Classical Philosophies||Indian Philosophy|
|Greek Philosophy||Modern Western Philosophy|
|Philosophical Logic||Analytical Philosophy|
|Philosophy of Language||Philosophy of History|
|Philosophy of Religion||Philosophy of Science|
|MA in Political Science||Administrative Theory||Politics in India|
|Themes in World Politics||Debates in Political Theory|
|Ethics and Politics||Indian Strategic Thought|
|International Security||Indian and the World|
|MA in Sociology||Sociological Theories||Sociology of India|
|Methods of Sociological Research||Populations and Society|
|Gender and Society||Agrarian Structure|
|Sociology of Organizations||Sociology of Media|
|MA in Education||Educational Psychology||Guidance & Counselling|
|Educational Administration & Management||Educational Measurement & Evaluation|
|Educational Technology||Life Long Education|
Check MA Syllabus to know more about the subjects and specializations available.
MA From IGNOU Fees
- The average fee for MA from IGNOU ranges from INR 9,000 - INR 25,000, depending on different MA courses.
- IGNOU also has scholarships for reserved categories. One can avail scholarship to pursue MA from IGNOU.
Check IGNOU Scholarship to know more.
MA From IGNOU Admission 2021
- IGNOU MA Admission is done based on merit in all its MA courses.
- All the MA courses, except Adult Education and Women and Gender Studies, are offered in both January and July sessions.
- A candidate can fill the online application form through IGNOU’s official website, and upload the necessary documents such as Scanned Photograph and signature, Age Proof, Educational Qualification, Experience Certificate (if any), Category Certificate, if SC/ST/OBC, BPL Certificate, if Below Poverty Line.
- Students can then pay the application fee and program fee.
- The university releases the merit list, as per the candidate’s marks at the bachelors’ level.
- Shortlisted candidates can visit the university and get their admission done.
Go through the detailed article on IGNOU Admissions 2021 to know more about dates, fees, and eligibility.
MA From IGNOU: Important Admission Dates
|Online Registration (July Session)||June 2020 to December 15, 2020|
|Online Registration (January Session)||November 2020 to February 2021|
|Release of Merit List||To be announced|
MA from IGNOU Eligibility
- The eligibility criteria for MA from admissions is a bachelor’s degree from any discipline with a minimum aggregate of 50%.
- For some courses such as Translation Studies, an adequate knowledge of both Hindi and English is required.
- A candidate is also expected to have a basic knowledge of mathematics covered at the 10+2 level, as some courses require an understanding of mathematical concepts such as algebra.
Note: Candidate should have completed graduation in any discipline OR those who have completed PGDDE are eligible for lateral entry to 2nd year of MA (Distance Education)
MA From IGNOU vs Regular MA
|Parameter||MA From IGNOU||Regular MA|
|Mode of Education||Distance/Online||Regular full-time|
|Duration||2 to 5 Years||2 Years|
|Location||IGNOU has its centres across India as well as abroad.||For regular MA, you need to report to a college you have chosen at a particular location.|
|Average Course Fee||INR 9,000 - INR 25,000||INR 20,000 - INR 30,000|
|Eligibility||Graduation from any discipline with a minimum aggregate of 50%.||Graduation from relevant fields with a minimum aggregate of 50%.|
|Can be pursued while working||Yes||No|
|Ease of pursuing the degree||Individuals can complete the degree at their own pace within a period of 4-5 Years.||Individuals need to attend classes held regularly and complete their degree in 2 Years.|
MA From IGNOU Scope
- IGNOU being a public university offers MA courses at a very affordable range and allows students to pursue their degree at their own pace, even with their full-time jobs. This makes it a good option in terms of ROI (Return of Investment).
- In India, distance education and online education is still not a very popular option in terms of value of degree and job options, but IGNOU is gaining its recognition in terms of course curriculum and flexible program options.
Similar to regular MA, MA from IGNOU has a scope in different fields that are mentioned below in a table.
|Career Option||Average Salary|
|Government Jobs (IAS, Police, Railways, Banks, Indian Army)||INR 3,00,000 - INR 8,40,000|
|Content Writer||INR 2,87,000 - INR 5,49,000|
|Journalist||INR INR 3,46,000 - INR 6,79,000|
|Psychologist||INR 3,96,000 - INR 9,25,000|
|Translator||INR 4,02,000 - INR 6,00,000|
|Economist||INR 8,10,000 - INR 19,00,000|
|Historian||INR 5,00,000 - INR 8,71,000|
|School Teacher||INR 3,00,000 - INR 5,00,000|
|Assistant Professor||INR 4,00,000 - INR 12,00,000|
|Photographer||INR 3,87,000 - INR 8,00,000|
Check MA Career Options and Jobs to know more.
MA from IGNOU: FAQs
Ques. Who is eligible to apply for an MA at IGNOU for admission?
Ans. Applicants who hold a graduate degree in a relevant discipline or hold an equivalent qualification from a recognized institution are eligible for MA admissions at IGNOU.
Ques. Which are the top courses of MA from IGNOU?
Ans. Master of Arts (Economics) (MEC), Master of Arts (Education) (MAEDU), Master of Arts (English) (MAE), Master of Arts (Hindi) (MHD), and Master of Arts (Political Science) (MPS) are some of the popular MA courses from IGNOU.
Ques. What is the mode of programs at IGNOU?
Ans. For admissions in MA from IGNOU, one can apply for distance as well as online education.
Ques. What is the fee for MA from IGNOU?
Ans. The fee ranges from INR 9,000 - INR 25,000.
Ques. What is the duration of MA courses from IGNOU?
Ans. The duration is 2 to 5 Years with no age limit.
Ques. Is there an entrance exam for MA in IGNOU?
Ans. No, the admissions for MA courses in IGNOU are done solely based on merit.
Ques. Which MA is best?
Ans. The most popular MA courses are MA Political Science, MA English, and MA Hindi.
Ques. Is it worth doing an MA from IGNOU?
Ans. Yes, it is worth doing an MA from IGNOU as it has an affordable fee and wide course curriculum.
Ques. Who is eligible for MATS from IGNOU?
Ans. A candidate with graduation from any discipline with adequate knowledge of Hindi and English and a minimum aggregate of 50% is eligible for MA from IGNOU.
Ques. Is the IGNOU degree valid?
Ans. Yes, the IGNOU degree is valid in India as well as abroad.