Master of Chirurgiae in Cardiac surgery also known as M.Ch (Cardiac surgery) is a postgraduate program in surgery spanning over 3 years. M.Ch is a super-specialization program in surgery that is done after the completion of MS/DNB.
M.Ch in Cardiac Surgery program is a practical-based program that focuses on the concept of “Learn while you work” which means the candidates need to take an initiative to learn on their own accord.M.Ch (Cardiac surgery) : Admission Process, Syllabus, Colleges, Jobs 2021
The course focuses on training students for the surgical treatment of ailments related to the heart, chest, and lungs. The course involves the combination of two different streams of specialization namely – Cardiac and Thoracic.
M.Ch (Cardiac Surgery) involves the detailed study of various procedures to be followed while performing surgery.
Apart from these, the course focuses on familiarizing students with various diagnostic and investigative procedures involved in the process, interpretation of various test results conducted, providing comprehensive treatment to the patients by thoroughly understanding their history and disease.
M.Ch Cardiac Surgery: Course Highlights
|Full-Form||Master of Chirurgiae|
|Examination Type||Semester system|
|Eligibility Criteria||Postgraduate Degree in MS/DNB|
|Admission Criteria||Entrance exam followed by counseling|
|Course Fee||INR 1 – 6 Lakh|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 3 – 20 Lakh|
|Top Recruiters||Medical clinic, Government hospitals, Private hospitals, Colleges, Universities, etc|
M.Ch Cardiac Surgery: Admission Process
The candidates are required to appear for and qualify for the common entrance test(CET) conducted called NEET SS(National Eligibility Entrance Test Super Speciality) to enroll in any college in the country. After that, a merit list is prepared based on the marks scored by the candidates in the CET, and the seats are allotted accordingly based on the availability of the seats. The candidates are then shortlisted based on the interview.
Listed below are steps to follow while applying for M.Ch (Cardiac Surgery) Admission
- Registration process - Candidates need to register by entering their name, contact details, and email address.
- Filling the form – Once registered, candidates need to enter all the details mentioned in the application form. These details include entering their academic details like a scorecard, caste category, state to which you belong, center choice, relaxation details if applicable, etc.
- Uploading the scanned documents – Next step involves uploading relevant documents like passport size photographs, signature, and thumb impression
- Payment of fees – The last involves paying the application fee of INR 3,750 for everyone regardless of their category. The payment can be made only through online mode via credit/debit card or through net banking.
- Taking the printout of the form – A candidate must keep the printout of the application form with themselves for future reference. The application form details like the login ID and password are required in case the candidate wants to edit their application details. Also, it is required for downloading the admit card.
M.Ch Cardiac Surgery: Eligibility Criteria
The minimum eligibility criteria for pursuing M.Ch in Cardiac surgery are as follows :
For Indian Candidates
- The candidate must have an MS degree or its equivalent degree with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grading system.
- The candidate must be registered with the Medical Council of India or with any of the state councils.
- An experience of a minimum of 24 months in the surgical field is required.
- The candidate must have their result with them before the cutoff date, or else their candidature will be canceled.
For Foreign Candidates
- Foreign candidates need to be registered with the Medical Council of India rather they need to be registered with the concerned authority in their own country.
- Such candidates will be provided with a temporary registration facility by the Medical Council of India for the M.Ch degree.
M.Ch Cardiac Surgery: Entrance Exam
|Exam Name||Conducting Body||Exam Date||Mode of Exam|
|NEET SS||The National Board of Examination||Sept 15,2021 (Tentative)||Online|
National Eligibility cum entrance test super specialty(NEET SS) is a national level. M.Ch entrance exam is conducted every year for getting admission in the course. NEET SS is conducted every year by The National Board of Examinations(NBE)
NEET-SS Exam Pattern
|Mode Of Examination||Online|
|Total Number of Questions||100|
|Number Of Sections||2 sections|
|Duration Of Section A||1.45 hrs|
|Duration Of Section B||3.30 hrs|
|Marking Scheme||4 marks for a right answer -1 for a wrong answer|
M.Ch Cardiac Surgery: Tips To Prepare
Here are few pointers to crack the NEET SS exam :
- Making a proper strategy – As the exam is divided into 2 sections, it’s wise to make a strategy on that basis. Therefore, a candidate should make a plan accordingly for each of the sections. To ace section A, which consists of 40% of the exam syllabus a candidate should focus on real-life practicals/books. While preparing for section B, one must focus on postgraduate books and training.
- Studying from the right kind of books- While preparing for the exam, it's very important to choose the right kind of books. Question banks containing the updated MCQs must be used to get an idea about the exam pattern and type of questions asked.
- Consulting your colleagues - It is always a good idea to consult your seniors and colleagues for guidance.
- Joining a good coaching center/online course – It is always a wise strategy to join a good coaching center or an online course for guidance and getting the right kind of study material.
- Attempting mock tests- Once the preparation is done, then the next step would be analyzing your performance. This can only be done by attempting a mock test. The mock test allows you to adjudge and analyze your strengths and weaknesses. Candidates can opt for mock tests by going through the official website of NBE.
M.Ch Cardiac Surgery: Important Books
- Bailey & Love's Short Practice of Surgery, 27th Edition: International Student's Edition (set volume 1 & 2 ) by Norman Williams
- MCQs and EMQs in Surgery: A Bailey & Love Revision Guide, Second Edition by Pradip Datta
- Cardiac Surgery by Herman CB Denber
M.Ch Cardiac Surgery: Syllabus
The syllabus of Master of Chirurgiae is divided into 6 semesters:
|Procedure||Emergency room procedures|
|ICU Procedure||Preoperative workup|
|Minor OT procedures||General Surgical operative procedures|
|Postoperative care||Major operative room techniques|
|Specialty procedure for cardiothoracic surgery||Conference and papers|
Top Colleges For M.Ch In Cardiac Surgery
The top colleges offering M.Ch In Cardiac Surgery are mentioned below along with the location, admission procedure, and average fees.
|College Name||Location||Average Annual Fee|
|All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)||New Delhi||INR 2000|
|Christian Medical College (CMC)||Vellore||INR 1,17,000|
|King George Medical University||Lucknow||INR 77,600|
|Madras Medical College (MMC)||Chennai||INR 56,500|
|Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC)||Pune||INR 69,400|
|Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER)||Pondicherry||INR 8,205|
M.Ch Cardiac Surgery: Skills Required for the course
- Communication skills – Communication skills are a prerequisite in this field to effectively communicate with the team members and the patients.
- Proper coordination skills – Coordination between various team members is essential for this course to perform the surgery on time.
- Leadership qualities – The candidate needs to possess leadership qualities to effectively and efficiently manage the team.
- Working under pressure – The candidates must be able to perform their duty under pressure. During the times when there is a huge influx of cases, the candidates need to keep their cool and perform surgeries.
- Decision-making skills – Decision-making skills come very handily while performing surgeries as they need to make decisions quickly.
M.Ch Cardiac Surgery: Course Comparison
M.Ch Cardiac Surgery V/S M.Ch Cardiothoracic Surgery
|Parameters||M.Ch in Cardiac Surgery||M.Ch in Cardiothoracic Surgery|
|Course Type||Post Graduate||Post Graduate|
|Eligibility Criteria||MS/DNB degree with at least the minimum aggregate marks as set by the concerned university.||MBBS or a PG degree in Cardiology with at least the minimum aggregate marks as set by the concerned University.|
|Area of specialization||While M.Ch in cardiac surgery focuses on training the candidates for performing surgical operations specifically on the heart and its valve. So a cardiac surgeon's specialization lies in the treatment of heart ailments.||This course focuses on training the students in the surgical treatment of the thorax which includes the chest, lungs, and heart. Thus a cardiothoracic surgeon performs operations in the thorax region of the patient.|
|Treatment||A Cardiac Surgeon treats conditions like heart blockage, heart failure, coronary artery disease, and leakage in the heart valve.||A cardiothoracic surgeon treats diseases like lung cancer, severe emphysema, esophageal cancer,|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 1-6 Lakh||INR 1.58-6 Lakh|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 3-20 Lakh||INR 3-30 Lakh|
|Job Prospects||Cardiac Surgeon, Demonstrator (Surgery), Lecturer, Consultant, Surgery Coder, Researcher||Thoracic Surgery Consultant, Clinical Manager, Cardiothoracic Specialist, Demonstrator (Surgery)|
M.Ch Cardiac Surgery: Job and Career Prospects
Pursuing an M.Ch in Cardiac Surgery opens up a wide array of opportunities for candidates in both the private and public sectors. As it is one of those areas in the medical and healthcare sector which is always in demand. Top recruiters in this sector are Government hospitals, Private hospitals, Army hospitals, Private practice, Cardiology clinics, Specialist hospitals, Various medical colleges, Health organizations, Non-profit organizations. There are vast career opportunities after the completion of M.Ch in Cardiac Surgery course are as follows :
- Candidates can pursue Neurosurgery.
- Candidates can also pursue Cardiac surgery.
- Candidates can even pursue scientific research in cardiac surgery.
M.Ch Cardiac Surgery: Job Prospects
|Job Profile||Job Role||Average Annual Salary|
|Cardiac Surgeon||To perform surgery on the heart, lungs, esophagus, blood vessels, and other organs in the thoracic cavity. These medical professionals conduct tests on patients to determine whether they have any conditions within the heart or vessels that need treatment.||INR 14 -20 Lakh|
|Lecturer||To teach at undergraduate and graduate levels in areas allocated and reviewed from time to time by the Head of Department and to supervise or assist with supervision of undergraduate, taught graduate (Masters) or research graduate (MPhil/Ph.D.) students.||INR 4 -7 Lakh|
|Surgery Coder||To help facilitate a smooth billing process by checking doctors' notes, tests, images, and patients' medical records, and then assigning codes that represent every step of the patient's experience with the physician to confirm what services were provided.||INR 2.5 -5 Lakh|
|Demonstrator (Surgery)||To demonstrate the use of practical equipment, experiments, exercises, techniques, and/ or processes that may form an element of an undergraduate course of study in line with specific learning objectives, set by others.||INR 2 -3 Lakh|
|Researcher||To discover new methods of enhancing human health and to perform research on specimens, such as bacteria and viruses, and regularly perform reviews.||INR 5 -6 Lakh|
Below is the chart that shows Salary Comparison among different job roles.
M.Ch in Cardiac surgery: FAQs
Ques. What is the total number of seats for M.Ch (Cardiac surgery)?
Ques. Can I work in the government sector post completion of M.Ch (Cardiac surgery)?
Ques. How is an M.Ch degree different from an MS degree?
Ques. Can I go for an M.Ch degree post completion of an MBBS degree?
Ques. How can I get admission into AIIMS in the M.Ch degree (cardiac surgery)?
Ques. What is the average annual salary of a cardiothoracic surgeon in India?
Ques. What are the best government colleges to pursue M.Ch in cardiac surgery?
Ques. What skills would be required in order to pursue M.Ch in cardiac surgery?
Ques. Which are the top international universities offering an M.Ch degree in cardiac surgery?
Ques. How can I become a cardiothoracic surgeon in India?