What is a PG Diploma in Clinical Nutrition & Dietetics?
PG Diploma in Clinical Nutrition & Dietetics is a 1-year post-graduation course which comes under the field of home science. The course focuses on the study of human physiology and nutrients that are required by the body.
In order to be eligible to apply for this course, the candidate should have a bachelor's degree preferably in the related field from a recognised university. The admission process will be based on the candidate’s performance in the qualifying exam or any personal interview conducted by the college.
The average course fee for this course ranges from INR 2,000 to 2,00,000. The average salary offered to fresh graduates ranges from INR 2,00,000 to 8,00,000.
Also check top PG Diploma in Clinical Nutrition & Dietetics Colleges here.
PG Diploma in Clinical Nutrition & Dietetics aims to equip the students with the ability to create a diet plan for one or a group of patients and help them in maintaining their health. The course helps the student to understand how to use nutrition to manage and treat various diseases.
PG Diploma in Clinical Nutrition & Dietetics: Course Highlights
|Name of the course||PG Diploma in Clinical Nutrition & Dietetics|
|Duration of the course||1 year|
|Course -Level||Post Graduation|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Admission Process||Based on the candidate’s performance in an entrance exam, or personal interview if any.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 2,000 to 2,00,000|
|Eligibility||a bachelor's degree preferably in the related field from a recognised university.|
|Sectors of employment||Public and private hospitals, clinics, food catering service, restaurants, Schools & Colleges, Sports and Health Clubs Research and Development Centres etc.|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 2,00,000 to 8,00,000|
|Common Job Roles||Clinical Dietitian, Management Dietitian, Consultant Dietitian, Nutrition Research Scientist, Community Dietitian, Product Manager, Nutrition Sales Executive, Trainee Nutrition Sales Executive etc.|
PG Diploma in Clinical Nutrition & Dietetics: Admission Process
The guide to apply for entrance exam based admission is as follows.
- Registration: In this step, students need to create an account by entering basic details like email-id, phone number etc.
- Application Form: Fill the application form with all necessary details. Care must be taken to ensure all details are accurate and correct.
- Uploading of documents: Scan and upload all requisite documents like mark sheets, photograph and signature. Documents need to be uploaded in a specific format only, as specified by the institute’s application portal.
- Payment of Application Fees: Candidates have to pay the application fees either online or offline.
- Downloading of admit card: Admit cards are released once all applicants are judged for eligibility. The admit card must be downloaded and printed out to be used on the day of the examination.
- Entrance Exam: Prepare for the exam as per the syllabus and past papers. Appear for the examination on the date announced.
- Results: Results are announced after a couple of weeks of the exam day. If a candidate is successful in qualifying the entrance examinations, they can move on to the next round.
- Counseling and admission: Counselling is held for students who have cleared the entrance examinations. The student can now take admission in the PG Diploma in Clinical Nutrition & Dietetics course.
PG Diploma in Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics: Eligibility Criteria
A candidate is considered eligible for applying for PG Diploma in Clinical Nutrition & Dietetics if he/she:
- Has a graduate degree in a related field accredited by ICAR from a recognized University.
- Qualifies the entrance examination which is either conducted or accepted by the particular college/university.
Note: Qualifying marks for the entrance examination differs according to the college/university.
PG Diploma in Clinical Nutrition & Dietetics: Entrance Exams
Some of the entrance exams conducted for the admissions to PG Diploma in Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics are mentioned below:
- SHIATS Entrance Exam is a National Level Offline Entrance Exam conducted by the Sam Higginbottom University of Agriculture, Technology & Sciences (SHUATS) Allahabad, UP.
- St Teresa's College Entrance Exam: It is an Offline entrance exam conducted by St Teresa's College, Ernakulam for admissions to its various PG Courses.
- J. D. Birla Institute Entrance Exam is a general aptitude test conducted by J. D. Birla Institute for admissions into its PG Diploma Programme.
- Institute of Home Economics Entrance Exam is conducted by the Institute of Home Economics, New Delhi for admissions into its PG Diploma Programme.
Detailed information is given below in a tabular format.
|Exam name||Conducting Body||Exam Date||Exam Mode|
|SHIATS Entrance Exam||Sam Higginbottom University of Agriculture, Technology & Sciences||To be announced||Offline|
|St Teresa's College Entrance Exam||St Teresa's College||To be announced||Offline|
|Institute of Home Economics Entrance Exam||Institute of Home Economics||To be announced||Offline|
How to Prepare for a PG Diploma in Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics Entrance Exams?
Basic steps on how to prepare for the exam are:
- Go through the syllabus. Reading the syllabus of that exam is one of the first things you should do. It gives you a basic idea about what to study and what not to study. This prevents you from wasting your time studying topics that are not important.
- Make a Study Plan. A study plan is simply a schedule for studying so that you study in a systematic way and prevent chaos while studying which in turn is counter-productive. This method will help you save a lot of time.
- You have to practice a lot by taking several mock tests. This will help you to improve your speed so that you can score more.
- Next important step is revising the chapters you have finished studying. This will help you to not forget things at the last minute
- In an exam, always attempt easy questions first. This will give you enough confidence to write even the ones which you don’t know that much.
How to Get Admission in a good PG Diploma in Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics College?
- Do a little research on the exam that you are going to write. This will help you to understand the basic pattern of the exam and types of questions asked so that you can prepare more effectively.
- Practice a lot of mock tests This will help you to improve your speed and finish the exam in the given time.
- Be aware of all the important dates so that you do not miss anything.
- Read at least one newspaper every day or be aware of all the current affairs especially if it is related to your field.
- Do not shy away from voicing your opinion in personal interviews or group discussion.
PG Diploma in Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics: Course Syllabus
Syllabus of the course is given below in a tabular format.
|Food science||Community nutrition|
|Diet Therapy I||Diet therapy|
|Nutrition through developmental stages||Food cost and quality control|
|Food Science||Extra: disciplinary paper (E.D)|
|Nutraceuticals and functional foods||Human Rights|
|Advanced Nutrition I||Advanced Nutrition: II|
|Diet therapy II||Research Methodology and statistics|
|Nutritional Biochemistry||Nutritional management safety for food science|
|Clinical Nutrition||Financial and food management|
|Computer Application||Clinical Nutrition|
PG Diploma in Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics: Top Colleges
Top colleges for PG Diploma in Clinical Nutrition & Dietetics in India are given below in tabular format.
|Name of the College/ University||Average Annual Fees|
|St Teresa's College, Ernakulam||INR 24,000|
|Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Vadodara||INR 58,900|
|Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Technology and Sciences, Allahabad||INR 22,000|
|Mahatma Jyoti Rao Phoole University, Jaipur||INR 32,000|
|Parul University, Vadodara||INR 45,780|
|Institute of Home Economics, New Delhi||INR 36,685|
PG Diploma in Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics College Comparison
The tabulation below depicts the comparison made among the top colleges in India
|Parameters||St Teresa's College||Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Technology and Sciences||Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda|
|Duration||1.5 years||1 year||1 year|
|NIRF Ranking||47 (Overall)||56 (Pharmacy)||151 (Overall)|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 24,000||INR 22,000||INR 58,900|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 2,78,000||INR 4,21,000||INR 3,56,000|
PG Diploma in Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics: Course Comparison
PG Diploma in Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics and Diploma in Food Production are both diploma courses. Some of the key differences and similarities between these two courses are mentioned below.
Also check out the Top Diploma in Food Production Colleges in India here.
|Parameters||PG Diploma in Clinical Nutrition & Dietetics||Diploma in Food Production|
|Overview||Focuses on the study of human physiology and nutrients that are required by the body.||Focuses on practical training in addressing the catering-related aspects of the hospitality industry.|
|Course Level||Post Graduation Diploma||Diploma|
|Duration||1 year||18 months|
|Admission Criteria||Merit/Entrance Test||Entrance exam|
|Average Course Fees||INR 25,000 to 2,00,000||INR 20,000 to 7,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 2,00,000 to 8,00,000||INR 2,00,000 to 6,00,000|
|Top Recruiters||NPA, Markham Board of Trade, NAPS, Tech Connex, CSNN, etc.||The Oberoi Shimla, Taj Bengal, Itdc, Raj Vilas, Mansingh Palace, Taj Palace, The Grand Intercontinental, WildFlower Hall, Hyatt Regency, The Oberoi Group of Hotels, The Trident, Le Meridian, The Taj Group of Hotels, Welcome Group of Hotels, Radisson Windsor Hotel, The Grand InterContinental, Devigarh Resort, Old World Hospitality Pvt. Ltd. Barista Coffee Co.|
|Common Job Positions||Clinical Dietitian, Management Dietitian, Consultant Dietitian, Nutrition Research Scientist, Community Dietitian, Product Manager, Nutrition Sales Executive, Trainee Nutrition Sales Executive etc.||Food Technologist, Food Quality Assurance Manager, Front Line Executive / Field Sales Executive - Food Processing, Production Supervisor, Marketing Manager -Food Processing, etc.|
PG >Diploma in Clinical Nutrition & Dietetics: Career Prospects
The most popular choices of education on completion of PG Diploma Clinical Nutrition & Dietetics are as follows.
- MSc: If one wishes to continue in the same field of education the first program of choice is a MSc Nutrition and Dietetics. It is a two-year course and the eligibility criteria include holding a Bachelor’s degree in relevant streams.
Also check top MSc Nutrition and Dietetics Colleges in India here.
- Competitive Examinations: Another route the PG Diploma holders can go for is to prepare for competitive examinations. Examinations that are meant for job opportunities in Government sector organizations are most popular. Jobs in this sector are secure with assured high pay and regular increments.
PG Diploma in Clinical Nutrition & Dietetics: Job Prospects
- PG Diploma in Clinical Nutrition & Dietetics graduates have a variety of career options. Some of the common job areas in which they are recruited are Public and private hospitals, clinics, food catering service, restaurants, Schools & Colleges, Sports and Health Clubs, Research and Development Centres, Mass Media etc.
- Some common job Positions of the graduates are Clinical Dietitian, Management Dietitian, Consultant Dietitian, Nutrition Research Scientist, Community Dietitian, Product Manager, Nutrition Sales Executive, Trainee Nutrition Sales Executive etc.
- Apart from this, they can also do research on the subject or work as professors in academic institutes.
Some of the job roles and their job description are given below in a tabular format
|Job Role||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Clinical Dietitian||Design short term and long term nutrition plans to improve the health of patients.||INR 2,00,000|
|Management Dietitian||Plan food programs and work in the foodservice sector such as cafeterias, hospitals, etc. They may also be responsible for carrying out tasks such as budgeting.||INR 7,00,000|
|Consultant Dietitian||Works under contract with health care facilities or in their own private practice||INR 6,00,000|
|Nutrition Research Scientist||Use scientific methods to specify accurate nutrition information to print in the labels of different food products.||INR 5,12,000|
|Product Manager||Advertising and marketing a product to ensure good sales. They also oversee the demand of the product and identify threats in advance.||INR 11,00,000|
|Community Dietitian||Develop nutritional programs for medical patients for the treatment or prevention of diseases.||INR 4,00,000|
PG Diploma in Clinical Nutrition & Dietetics FAQs
Ques. What is the difference between Applied and Clinical nutrition?
Ans. Clinical nutrition involves planning diet plans for medical patients based on their medical condition whereas applied nutrition involves planning community meals to improve the nutrition of vulnerable classes like poor men, women, children, destitute etc.
Ques. What is the average salary offered to PG Diploma in Clinical Nutrition & Dietetics graduates?
Ans. The average salary offered to PG Diploma in Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics ranges between INR 2,00,000 and 8,00,000 per annum.
Ques. What are the scopes of PG Diploma in Clinical Nutrition & Dietetics course?
Ans. With general health awareness and the need for a more healthy life increasing day by day, Dietitian is in demand more than ever. Graduates in this course have opportunities in various fields such as Public and private hospitals, clinics, food catering service, restaurants, Schools & Colleges, Sports and Health Clubs, Research and Development Centres etc.
Ques. What is the course fee for PG Diploma in Clinical Nutrition & Dietetics?
Ans. The average course fee ranges from INR 2,000 to 2,00,000.
Ques. What is the highest salary offered to a PG diploma in clinical nutrition graduate?
Ans. The average starting salary for the course ranges from INR 2,00,000 to 8,00,000 per annum however the salary will increase with work experience.
Ques. What are the top colleges for a PG Diploma in Clinical Nutrition & Dietetics?
Ans. Top three colleges to study PG diploma in clinical nutrition and dietetics are
- St Teresa's College,Ernakulam.
- Maharaja sayajirao University of Baroda.
- Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture Technology and Sciences, Allahabad.
Ques. Which is the job position that offers the highest salary after a PG diploma in clinical nutrition and dietetics?
Ans. The job position in which the graduates can earn the highest salary is the product manager position.
Ques. What further courses can a student go for after completing the PG diploma in clinical nutrition and dietetics?
Ans. The candidates can go for a more research-based course like a PhD in the same or a related subject.
Ques. Does St Teresa’s College of internship for the students of PG diploma (clinical nutrition and dietetics)?
Ans. St Teresa’s college offers a 1.5-year course on PG diploma in clinical nutrition and dietetics which includes a 3-month hospital internship.
Ques. How to get admission into the National Institute of nutrition?
Ans. In order to get admissions into the National Institute of Nutrition (NIN), The candidates have to write an online entrance exam of a hundred marks.