PGDBI is a 1 year course studying the combination of biology and computer science managed by the acquisition, storage, analysis, and dissemination of biological data.
PGDBI Course combines Biology with Information Science to apply them in the field of Medicine and Biology. Depending upon the curriculum set by different colleges, the duration of the course may vary.
Read More about: Bioinformatics Courses
Candidates must have a B.Sc. degree in Life Sciences or completed the specialized in the major subjects of Biochemistry, Genetics, Microbiology, Biotechnology, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics or Statistics with a minimum percentage.
After Completing PGDBI, students may work as Bioinformatics Trainer, Software Engineer Trainee, Solution Architect, etc with an average salary of INR 3 LPA. They can also opt for MSc courses or PhD Courses.
|Full-Form||Post-Graduation Diploma in Bioinformatics|
|Eligibility||Qualifying BSc degree in Life Science or any specialized subject of Biochemistry, Genetics, Microbiology, Biotechnology, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Statistics with a minimum percentage.|
|Admission Process||Merit List|
|Course Fee||INR 9,000 to INR 33,000|
|Average Salary||INR 2 to 20 Lakhs per annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Biotechnology, Biomedical Sciences, Pharmaceutical, Agricultural Sectors, etc.|
|Job Positions||Bioinformatics Trainer, Software Engineer Trainee, Solution Architect, Bioinformatics ‘C’ Programmer, etc.|
PGDBI: Admission Process
Admissions in PGDBI do not have a fixed methodology. For some courses, it requires a UG degree in the respective specialization. However, some courses expect a candidate to hold work experience and have a letter of recommendation and clear a lingual test.
Below are some steps which need to be followed for admissions in PGDBI course:-
- Search for the appropriate course available as per the interest and preference of the candidate.
- Mention all the personal details, like name, eligibility, course requirement etc. and enroll yourself in the course.
- Register themselves for the course and upload the higher education details.
- Upon selection, the candidates will be notified via phone call, message or the list will be released on the official website.
Post Graduate Diploma in Bioinformatics Eligibility
The eligibility criteria of the candidates in Bioinformatics as follows:
- Those who have completed their B.Sc. degree in Science with minimum qualifying marks with either subject of Chemistry, Physics or Biology in their program are eligible for admission.
- Candidates who have passed their post-graduation degree in science with a specialization in subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Genetics, Microbiology, Neuroscience, Structural Biology, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Statistics, and Agricultural Sciences are also eligible for admission.
- Those who have qualified for their MBBS, BDS can appear for admission to the PGDBI program.
PGDBI: What is it About?
- PGDBI is a 1-year study program studying the combination of information on biological data.
- It has maximum outsourcing skills such as evaluating data, computer handling, communication, and analytical reasoning to avail the course’s opportunity.
- Throughout the course, students are trained by the comprehensive study of Information Technology, biology, and statistics, which will be applied in advanced bioinformatics.
- Students need to gain a strong opportunity to acquire their knowledge of communication, handling of the computer, training their mind in an analytical manner to evaluate the data efficiently.
- PGDBI course is important and valuable in nature that opens many career scopes for the candidates after its completion for enthusiasts of Bioinformatics.
PGDBI: Top Colleges
|College Name||Average Fees|
|Bioinformatics Institute of India (BIT), Noida||INR 10,500|
|Stella Morris College, Chennai||INR 8,200|
|Chandigarh University, Punjab||INE 40,200|
|St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai||INR 60,000|
|University of Calicut, Malappuram||INR 24,000|
PGDBI: College Comparison
|Parameters||Stella Moris College||Chandigarh University|
|College Overview||SMC is a Public Catholic institution established on 15th August 1947. It offers a number of UG, PG and Research Courses in various disciplines.||CU is a Private University accredited with A+ Grade by NAAC with a total student strength of 13,221 with more than 5,500 female students across all departments.|
|Admission Process||Merit Based||Merit Based|
|Average Fees||INR 8,200||INR 40,200|
|Top Recruiters||McKinsey & Company, The Boston Consulting Group, Bain & Company, Deloitte Consulting, etc.||Booz Allen Hamilton, PricewaterhouseCoopers Advisory Services LLC, EY LLP Consulting Practice, Accenture, etc.|
|Average Salary Package||INR 3 LPA||INR 3.2 LPA|
PGDBI: Course Advantages
- PGDBI trains the aspirants in conducting experiments, filling the database, and applying the same in conducting experiments.
- They are qualified to take up a future research program in the field of bioinformatics, making it a lucrative choice for candidates to take up this program.
- Throughout PGDBI course, students study about the comprehensive study of Information Technology, biology, and statistics, which will be applied in advanced bioinformatics.
- They are also qualified to join schools as special subject lecturers or can opt for running their own tutorials or coaching classes.
- PGDBI graduates can become a molecular biologist, Web designers, Bioinformatics ‘C’ programmers, Technical executives, and many more. All these professions are specifically categorized by expert professionals.
PGDBI: Course Comparison
BElow given is a comparison between PGDBI and PGDM course on the basis of a few parameters that will help the students to select their desired subject with ease.
Also Checkout: Top Colleges offering PGDM Courses
|Parameter||Post Graduate Diploma in Bioinformatics (PGDBI)||Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM)|
|Duration||1 Year program||1.5 to 2 Years|
|Examination Type||Full Time/Semester wise||Semester/Trimester|
|Eligibility||Graduation in any stream and qualifying B. Sc in Life Sciences or Biochemistry, Genetics, Microbiology, and so on.||Graduation in any stream|
|Admission Process||Merit List||Entrance Exams, Direct Admission is also offered in some private colleges.|
|Average Fees||INR 3-12 Lakhs||Up to INR 9000 to 33,000|
|Average Salary||INR up to 2 to 20 Lakhs per annum||INR 4-10 LPA|
|Top Job Profiles||Molecular biologist, web designers, bioinformatics ‘C’ programmer, Technical Executive, and much more.||Banks, Marketing Agencies, Market Research Companies, Educational Institutions, Consultancies, Law Firms, Entertainment Portal, Hotels and Resorts, etc.|
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Biostatistics and Basic Mathematics||Introduction to Database and Programming|
|Modern Biology and Basic Bioinformatics||Genomics, Proteomics and Structural Biology|
|Computer Application and Fundamentals of Programming||Practical|
|Practical||Project and Dissertation Work|
The syllabus of the study program differs from college to college
PGDBI: Recommended Books
|Introduction to bioinformatics||Arthur M. Lesk|
|Essential bioinformatics||Jin Xiong|
|Bioinformatics for Dummies||Cedric Notredame and Jean-Michel Claverie|
|Bioinformatics Algorithms: An Active Learning Approach||Pavel A. Pevzner|
PGDBI: Job Prospect and Career Options
|Job Profile||Average Salary|
|Bioinformatics Research Analyst||INR 5 Lacs|
|Molecular Biologist||INR 5 Lacs|
|Bioinformatics ‘C’ Programmer||INR 3 Lacs|
|Technical Executive||INR 4.2 Lacs|
|Bioinformatics Trainer||INR 3.5 Lacs|
|Senior Bioinformatics Analyst||INR 6 Lacs|
PGDBI: Future Scope
- Higher Studies: Students can pursue MTech Bioinformatics and later PhD Bioinformatics to strengthen their capability and knowledge in the discipline. They can also go for MBA Bioinformatics, if they may be interested in management.
- Short-term Courses: Students can pursue certification courses such as Certificate Course in Computer Application. This will increase their chances of being employed in relevant industries with high packages.
- Academic or Scientific Researcher: They can work on research projects funded by the government or private organisations. Some institutes also offer the opportunity to be a part of research teams related to this field.
Ques: How is P.G. Diploma in Bioinformatics Course Beneficial?
Ans: Yes, there are plenty of opportunities in the Bioinformatics course.
- Candidates should get many job prospects in all sectors of biotechnology like pharmaceutical and biomedical sciences, in research institutions, hospitals, and industry.
- If they want, they can also join schools as a special subject teacher and run their own coaching classes. It is very beneficial because when they attend the lecturer jobs after having pursued a Master’s degree as well as NEET along with this special Diploma course, then they can have the special credit than other candidates.
- They can also engage in further research work for higher studies.
Ques: What is the course suitability of Bioinformatics?
Ans: In the Bioinformatics field, the candidates should have some unique skills which will help them to enhance their career effectively.
- They should have good analytical and interpersonal skills; an innovative mind and unique power along with good computer skills are suitable for the course.
- Candidates who are very hard workers, serious, and want to evaluate and explore their lives to a great extent, this course will obtain degrees, and those who have a team-work spirit and analytical and prospective mind also can apply for the course.
Ques: What are the major employment areas to be found in the Bioinformatics field?
Ans: It is a very innovative and skill-based research area. These are
- Biomedical Research Centres
- Academic Institutes
- DataBase Programming Offices
- Pharmaceutical Companies
- Agriculture Sector
Ques: What kind of job types should be included in this field?
Ans: There are many types of research-based job category:
- Senior Bioinformatics Analyst
- Bioinformatics 'C' Programmer
- Bioinformatics Research Analyst
- Solution Architect/Leader
- Bioinformatics Trainer
- Web Designer
- Software Engineer Trainee
- Web Project Trainee
- Molecular Biologist
- Techno-Commercial Executive & Technical Executive
Ques: What approximately the salary offered from the relevant field?
Ans: The salary basically depends on the educational qualifications and the salary ratio varies from country to country. But in India’s average salary is INR 2 Lakhs to 5 Lakhs. It is based on qualifications and experience.