Post Graduate Diploma in Forensic Science, commonly referred as PG Diploma in Forensic Science is a one year post graduate diploma program covering aspects of human biology and deals with the application of science and psychology into the scientific investigation of crime.
The eligibility criteria for PG Diploma in Forensic Science is a bachelor's degree in a relevant field such as Science/ Medicine/ Forensic Science/ Pharmacy/ Law/ Engineering with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks from any recognized institute.
The admissions to PG Diploma in Forensic Science are either merit based or entrance based. Some colleges/ universities also conduct personal interview rounds for admissions. PGCET is the most common entrance test conducted for Post Graduate Diploma in Forensic Science.
Banaras Hindu University, Bundelkhand University, SGT University, RIMT University are some of the top institutes in India offering Post Graduate Diploma in Forensic Science.
The average tuition fee charged for PG Diploma in Forensic Science in India ranges between INR 2,00,000 and INR 3,00,000 and usually varies from college to college according to the rating and reputation of college.
The subjects covered in the domain include General Forensic Science, Crime Law, Criminology, Fingerprint Science etc.
Post Graduate Diploma in Forensic Science graduates can easily find employment in government sectors, mainly in the law enforcement agencies such as police department, investigation bureau, legal systems and in universities or colleges also. Job positions such as Crime Scene Investigator, Forensic Scientist, Forensic Experts, Researchers are highly reputed.
After the completion of PG Diploma in Forensic Science, students can earn an average annual salary from INR 3,00,000 to INR 4,00,000 which can be further increased upto INR 8,00,000 with experience and expertise in the field of Forensic Science. The major recruiters of such postgraduates are IFO Forensic Standards and Research Private Limited, Central Government Forensic Science Lab, Indian Army, Police Department, Pathology Centers, The Quality Control Bureau.
PG Diploma in Forensic Science Course Highlights
|Course level||Post Graduate|
|Full-Form||Postgraduate Diploma in Forensic Science|
|Eligibility||Bachelor's degree in any discipline of science with minimum of 50% marks|
|Admission Criteria||On the basis of marks scored in graduation or entrance examination|
|Average Course Fee||INR 2,00,000 - INR 3,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3 LPA - INR 8 LPA|
|Job Positions||Forensic Scientist, Crime Scene Investigator, Forensic Expert, Professor, Forensic Physiologist, Forensic Anthropologist, Forensic Toxicologists, Forensic Handwriting Expert, Forensic Entomologist, Forensic Counselors etc|
|Employment Areas||Medical Sectors, Crime Branch, Intelligence Bureau (IB), Quality Control Bureau, Police Departments, Detective Agencies and Law Firms etc|
PG Diploma in Forensic Science: Admission Process
Every institute has its own admission criteria for PG Diploma in Forensic Science. Some institutes offer direct admissions on the basis of marks obtained in graduation while some conduct their own entrance exams followed by personal interview.
- Candidates can fill the application forms either in online or offline manner.
- Candidates also need to appear for and qualify the entrance exam for admissions to institutes offering entrance based admissions.
- The institutes will release merit lists as per the criteria.
- Shortlisted candidates will be required to attend the counseling session and personal interview to secure their seats in the program.
Check: PhD Admissions 2021
PG Diploma in Forensic Science: Eligibility Criteria
The basic eligibility criteria PG Diploma in Forensic Science is mentioned below:
- Aspirants must have completed their graduation in any discipline from a recognized university or college with a minimum of 50-55% aggregate marks.
- Some colleges require the bachelor's degree in science based courses such as Medicine/ Forensic Science/ Pharmacy with minimum 50% marks.
- Few colleges also accept the students with a MBBS or BDS from any institution recognized by the medical council of India.
PG Diploma in Forensic Science: Tips to get the Best College
Here are some tips that might help a candidate to get admission in a good college offering PG Diploma in Forensic Science:
- First of all, choose your college of preference according to ratings, reviews etc.
- Check out the terms and conditions for the admission procedure like whether the institute conducts any personal interviews, entrance examinations or counseling sessions.
- Interact with the students of the institute about their past admission experiences and enquire more about the institutes.
- As grades are extremely important so get the best possible grades during your graduation or any entrance examination.
- Prepare yourself for on-campus interviews, if required by colleges. Dress professionally and be confident while answering the questions.
- Apply to a diverse section of colleges and universities and be an early applicant. Applying early will save your adequate time for researching colleges.
PG Diploma in Forensic Science: What is it About?
- Forensic Science is a broad medical subject which includes forensic pathology, psychology, forensic medicine and ontology.
- PG Diploma in Forensic Science deals with the study of various methods of scientific investigation of crime.
- The course imposes the study of documentation and their analysis and covers a broad range of interesting topics from the evaluation of evidence to the development of methodology to help in the visualisation process of DNA fingerprinting.
- The course offers an array of subjects such as human physiology, biochemistry, microbiology, molecular biology/genetics and their application in Forensic Science.
- PG Diploma in Forensic Science is a broad field which is applied to various facets of the judicial system where a forensic scientist works on the findings to extract crucial data for crime investigations involving both the defense and prosecution of criminals and victims.
- The pedagogy of this course mostly includes practical knowledge of investigating a crime by looking through clues and hints which can be overlooked by a normal eye.
PG Diploma in Forensic Science: Course Benefits
- PG Diploma in Forensic Science usually contains two semesters in a year and is more of a practical based program wherein forensic scientists investigate a crime through clues with the application of science.
- Students pursuing the course will study modern Forensic Science including various streams such as crime-scene processing, laboratory and analytical skills, DNA Fingerprinting, human anatomy and genetics.
- PG Diploma in Forensic Science is a specialized program in Forensic Sciences and after completing the PG Diploma, an individual is open to work in research oriented fields.
- Besides, most of the job opportunities for students pursuing PG Diploma in Forensic Science are in government sectors such as police departments, legal systems and investigating services.
- Students pursuing PG Diploma in Forensic Science are also eligible for teaching positions in top colleges as professors after clearing NET.
- Apart from other things, technicians in Forensic Science typically receive benefits in future including health packages, life insurances, holiday pay, vacations and retirement plans.
- The program in forensics science will offer a different work environment every day, as the place you investigated yesterday will not be the same tomorrow.
PG Diploma in Forensic Science Course Comparison
The comparison between Post Graduate Diploma in Forensic Science and Diploma in Criminology is tabulated below to help students choose the best course for them.
|Parameters||PG Diploma in Forensic Science||Diploma in Criminology|
|Name of the Course||Post Graduate Diploma in Forensic Science||Diploma in Criminology|
|Overview||PG Diploma in Forensic Science focuses on the study of human biology and investigation of crime scientifically.||Diploma in Criminology deals with the study of criminal behavior, crime prevention methods, rate of crime and working of the criminal justice system.|
|Level||Post Graduation||Post Graduation|
|Duration||1 Year||1 Year|
|Eligibility||Graduation in any field||Graduation in Law or any field|
|Admission Criteria||Merit or Entrance Based||Merit Based|
|Average Fees||INR 2,00,000 - INR 3,00,000||INR 5,000 - INR 25,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3 LPA - INR 8 LPA||INR 3 LPA - INR 4 LPA|
|Job Positions||Forensic Scientist, Forensic Experts, Forensic Anthropologist, Forensic Entomologist, Forensic Toxicologists etc||Independent Criminal Lawyer, Social Worker, Detective, Crime Investigator etc|
|Employment Areas||Medical Sectors, Crime Branch, Intelligence Bureau (IB), Quality Control Bureau, Police Departments etc||Law Firms, NGOs, Government Agencies, Police Departments etc|
Know More: Diploma Courses in India
PG Diploma in Forensic Science: Top Colleges
|Name of the College/ University||Average Fees|
|Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi||INR 20,000|
|Bundelkhand University, Jhansi||INR 15,050|
|SGT University, Gurgaon||INR 1,12,500|
|RIMT University, Gobindgarh||INR 50,000|
|Starex University, Gurgaon||INR 50,000|
|Himalayan University, Itanagar||INR 10,000|
|Saurashtra University, Rajkot||INR 55,210|
|Jiwaji University, Gwalior||INR 35,820|
|Maharaja Ganga Singh University, Bikaner||INR 2,520|
|Adarsh India Technical and Paramedical College, Muzaffarpur||INR 25,000|
PG Diploma in Forensic Science College Comparison
|Parameters||RIMT University, Gobindgarh||Bundelkhand University, Jhansi|
|Overview||RIMT University is a private university established in 1998. The university is AICTE, UGC approved and offers many UG, PG and Diploma courses including PG Diploma in Forensic Science||Bundelkhand University is a deemed university approved by UGC and AICTE with NAAC 'B++' accreditation and is one of the top rated universities offering PG Diploma in Forensic Science.|
|Location||Gobindgarh, Punjab||Jhansi, Uttar Pradesh|
|Eligibility||Graduation in the relevant stream from a recognized institute||BSc Pass/ Hons with Chemistry/ Biochemistry/ Biotechnology/ Microbiology/ Computer Science/ LLB/ BA or equivalent degree with minimum 45% marks|
|Admission Process||Merit Based||Merit Based|
|Average Fees||INR 50,000||INR 15,050|
PG Diploma in Forensic Science: Syllabus
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Introduction to Forensic Science||Forensic Serology|
|Biology Anthropology||Forensic Toxicology|
|Forensic Medicine & Medico-legal aspects||Introduction to Criminology|
|Documentation & Forensic Analysis of Biological Evidence||Computer Forensics|
|Paper I: Basics of Forensics & Crime scene Management||Paper IV:Recent Advances in Forensic Science and the Laws|
|Paper II: Forensic Science and Its Application in Crime Investigation||Paper V: Practical Training|
|Paper III: Forensic Medicine and the laws||Paper VI: Group Discussions, Report on field visits and Project work|
PG Diploma in Forensic Science: Recommended Books
Some of the best books that can be referred to while pursuing PG Diploma in Forensic Science are mentioned below:
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Forensic physiology||David Cantar|
|Forensic Science||Jim Fraser|
|Forensics for Dummies||D.P. Lyle, MD|
|Forensic Science||Andrew R.W. Jackson|
|Forensics: The Anatomy of Crime||Val McDermid|
|The Elements of Murder||John Emsley|
|Fundamentals of Forensic Science||Max M Houck|
|The Science of Sherlock Holmes||E.J. Wagner|
|Forensic Science in Criminal Investigation & Crime||B.R. Sharma|
|HandBook of Forensic Science||R. Safferstin|
PG Diploma in Forensic Science: Job Prospects
The areas of employment of PG Diploma in Forensic Science program are mainly in the government sector, particularly in various law enforcement agencies such as police, legal systems and the investigative services of the central government and state governments. Another sector of employment of Forensic Science lies in teaching in various well-known universities and reputed institutions. Some of the well-known job profiles that lie under Forensic Science are mentioned below:
|Job Title||Job Description||Average Salary|
|Forensic Scientist||Forensic Scientists are responsible for laboratory work and provide impartial scientific evidence to be used in court of law either in the support of prosecution or in defense of criminal and civil investigations.||INR 6,00,000 - INR 8,00,000|
|Forensic Experts||Forensic Experts deal with analyzing evidence from computers and other forms of digital data.||INR 6,00,000 - INR 8,00,000|
|Crime Scene Investigator||A crime scene investigator deals with the process of crime scene investigation, fingerprint identification, and forensic imaging and hence providing the details to police departments and other agencies.||INR 3,00,000 - INR 5,00,000|
|Forensic Technicians||Forensic technicians are responsible for collecting and analyzing the evidence at the crime scenes and reporting the evidence to solve crimes.||INR 2,00,000 - INR 4,00,000|
|Forensic Entomologist||Forensic Entomologist determines the time of a person's death by studying and examining insects appearing on the body.||INR 5,00,000 - INR 7,00,000|
|Forensic Anthropologist||The primary role of a Forensic Anthropologist is to gather and interpret evidence to assist in the identification of human remains and to determine the cause of death.||INR 5,00,000 - INR 6,00,000|
|Forensic Handwriting Expert||Handwriting Experts are known as document examiners and are responsible for examining documents related to a crime investigation scene by using a number of scientific processes and methods.||INR 2,00,000 - INR 3,00,000|
|Forensic Toxicologist||Forensic Toxicologists work in the laboratories and perform tests on bodily tissues and fluids samples to determine the presence of chemicals.||INR 8,00,000 - INR 10,00,000|
|Forensics Physiologist||Forensic Physiologists provide physiological services and analysis for every facet of the criminal justice system.||INR 1,00,000 - INR 4,00,000|
|Forensic Ballistics Expert||A Forensic Ballistics Expert examines the evidence related to firearms at the crime scene and afterwards has to explain the findings to the court of law.||INR 3,00,000 - INR 8,00,000|
PG Diploma in Forensic Science: Future Scope
With the increasing number of crime rate and criminals all over the country, there is an ultimate need for Forensic scientists and experts in crime investigation and to provide justice. Hence, the future scopes of PG Diploma in Forensic Science is high and will increase by time exponentially.
- After completing the PG Diploma in Forensic Science, a postgraduate candidate can get a job with an average annual salary of INR 3,00,000 to INR 4,00,000.
- PhD Forensic Science is a 3 year course which requires minimum eligibility of a postgraduate degree in Forensic Science, hence candidates can opt for the same. The average fees charged ranges from INR 30,000 to INR 1,50,000 annually.
- After the successful completion of PG Diploma in Forensic Science, a wide variety of job opportunities are available for students in the sectors such as police departments, quality control bureau, detective agencies, central bureau of investigation and law firms.
Check: PhD Courses in India
PG Diploma in Forensic Science: FAQs
Ques. What are the latest trends in Forensic Science?
Ans. DNA profiling is an extremely useful technique to identify individuals and is the latest trend in forensic science.
Ques. What are the scopes of Forensic Science in India?
Ans. Candidates can find job opportunities in government sectors such as law firms, police, investigating agencies etc.
Ques. Which top colleges offer PG Diploma in Forensic Science in India?
Ans. Banaras Hindu University, Bundelkhand University, SGT University, Himalayan University are some top universities offering the program.
Ques. What subjects are taught in PG Diploma in Forensic Science?
Ans. Subjects such as Forensic anthropology, Forensic medicine, computer forensics are taught in the program.
Ques. Do colleges offer PG Diploma in Forensic Science in distance education?
Ans. Yes, IFS Education Department in Pune, Maharashtra offers the program in distance education.
Ques. Is forensic sciences all about medico-legal case investigations?
Ans. Yes, forensic science in a common parlance may be defined as the application of science in court of law.
Ques. Is any new branch emerging within forensic sciences?
Ans. Yes, ear biometrics is a new addition in the already existing branches of forensic science.