Study in Ireland: Rankings, Cost and Benefits
Ireland Universities are known to be amongst the top research-based educational institutions in the world. The graduate research students are the key contributors for research and innovation in Ireland.
Even though Ireland has its own language i.e. Irish but English is also the official language of the country. This makes Ireland a good choice for the international students and a hub for multinational companies.
How does Ireland Benefit International Students?
- Universities of Ireland are ranked among the top 5% universities in the world.
- The Ireland education system is generally considered to be amongst the top 20 education systems in the world.
- World-class research opportunities for the students.
- Ireland has a strong Asian community.
- Well-connected to Europe.
- Largest exporter of software to different parts of the world.
- Well-known pharmaceuticals industry.
- Students have good involvement with the industrial training.
- Due to well-settled industries and post degree opportunities, it is easy to find a job.
- Provides 2-year stay back option for postgraduate students.
- Ireland is the Europe’s most entrepreneurial country.
- It is counted amongst the world’s most safe nations.
|Total Number of Public Universities||7|
|Total Number of Full-Time students in research||8,043|
|Acceptance Rate||10% to 20%|
|Popular Courses||Computer Science, Literature and Business Studies|
|Highest Paid Job Sector||Information and Communication|
|Highest Pay||1,222 USD weekly|
|Best Feature||The only English speaking nation in Europe|
Demographic Distribution of International Students
List of Universities in Ireland and their QS World Rankings
Mentioned are the universities of Ireland which falls below top 800 universities in the world according to QS world rankings which is appreciable: -
|Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin||88|
|University College Dublin||168|
|National University of Ireland Galway||=243|
|University College Cork||=283|
|Dublin City University||=391|
|University of Limerick||501-550|
|Dublin Institute of Technology||651-700|
Top 3 Universities in Ireland
- Trinity College
- University of College Dublin
- University College Cork
Strength of Universities in Ireland
Ireland universities are considered to be amongst the top 1% higher education institutions for research. It involves 19 fields, social sciences, natural sciences and humanities. Ireland government spends around 898 million USD in research annually.
Due to such initiatives, Ireland is now becoming a favorite destination for research amongst the undergraduate and postgraduate students in their relevant fields.
Some of the life-changing inventions made by Irish people – guided missile, colored photography, nickel-zinc batteries, submarines and leprosy treatment.
Research and innovation is the backbone of this country.
Providing Excellence in Education
- The quality of education imparted to the students is kept under the strict check by Irish State Agency, Quality and Qualification Ireland. It is an independent state agency which keeps track of the education services in Ireland.
- Ireland is investing considerably in the higher education of the students. The investment has gone up by 10% as compared to the last decade.
- It has the highest participation rate of 65% in terms of education in the world.
Top Courses Offered in Ireland
Mentioned are the top courses in Ireland based on enrolment percentage of the students: -
|Arts and Humanities||19%|
|Health and Welfare||14%|
Highest Paying Job Sectors in Ireland
Mentioned are the highest paid job sectors for senior job positions.
|Job Sector||Annual Income|
Best Staring Salaries of 5 Most Wanted Jobs
|Job Sector||Annual Income|
|Management Consulting||38,500 USD|
|Information Technology||35,000 USD|
|Research and Development (Science)||32,958 USD|
Cost of Study in Ireland
The most important expenditure for the students in Ireland is the tuition cost. Here, it is calculated on the basis of level of education and the courses offered by the universities.
Undergraduate courses - 10,443 USD to 52,215 USD per year
Postgraduate Master and PhD courses - 10,620 USD – 42,946 USD per year
In case, students need assistance in English language, they are provided with an opportunity to learn with Ireland universities.
For such students who need basic understanding of the language join International Foundation Course which costs between 7,468 USD – 15,167 USD.
Cost of Living in Ireland
Apart from living, mentioned are the daily life amenities required for living per month: -
- Accommodation price range – 1,500 USD
- Food Expenditure range – 2,500 USD
- Transportation (students pass) – 18 USD
- Other utilities – 300 USD
Scholarships for Non-EEA Countries
Mentioned are 3 top scholarships in Ireland including fellowship program. Students are also offered university based scholarships too.
|Scholarship Title||Number of Awards||Value of Scholarship|
|The Government of Ireland International Education Scholarship||-||For high caliber non-EEA students and provide stipend of 11,540 USD and tuition fee waiver|
|Government of Ireland IDEAS Master Scholarship Program in Ireland||30 (target 1 country every year)||Cover for airfare, health insurance, visa, monthly stipend for daily expenses, settle-in allowance and books - annually|
|Irish Aid funded Fellowship Training Program||Target 1 country every year||Cover airfare, accommodation, tuition fee, monthly allowance and insurance with accidental coverage - annually|
How Students can Learn and Earn?
Students who have opted for full-time studies and have studied for at least a year’s duration need no work permit to work in Ireland.
The minimum wage for students earning starts from 23 USD per hour.
Other ways through which students can support themselves financially are:
- Internship Program
Students can get placed in the field which suits the program they are pursuing. They may be offered stipend on the basis of work done. The stipend may not be as high as the salary but surely help surviving in Ireland.
Students cannot work for more than 50% of the time decided for the program.
- Post Study Pathways for International Students
Students are permitted to stay in Ireland after completion of their studies under Irish Third Level Graduate Scheme in order to search for the employment. During this period, students can work full-time for 40 hours per week.
Best of Ireland Universities
- The placement rate of Dublin City University (DCU) is 92%. Most of the students get placed within 6 months of the completion of graduation.
- DCU is the largest arts center in Ireland.
- National University of Ireland (NUI) rose 6 positions in 2017 bringing it in the top 1% universities in the world.
- Maynooth University was ranked 49 by Time Higher Education (THE) in young university ranking.
- Trinity College Dublin’s 4 subjects are ranked below top 50 in the world for the subject areas – Politics, English, Nursing and Classics.
- The courses offered to the students are in English and well recognized by the leading academic organizations which makes Ireland a student destination.