IIT Delhi: JEE Advanced Candidates allowed to switch Branch after First Year
IIT Delhi informs JEE Advanced 2020 candidates that the institute allows over 100 students to change their already chosen branch after completion of the first year of their B.Tech program.
IIT Delhi Director, V Ramgopal Rao, also said in a tweet that a large number of JEE Advanced 2020 qualified students wrote to him and said that any change in the branch will not be allowed for them.
At IIT Delhi, more than 100 students are allowed to switch their branch every year on the basis of their performance in the first year.
“IIT Delhi is committed to making this process even more flexible”, Director, IIT Delhi said.
Many JEE Adv qualified candidates are writing to me saying branch change will not be allowed for them. At @iitdelhi, over 100 students are allowed to change their branch every year, based on their 1st year performance. We are indeed trying to make this process even more flexible.— V.Ramgopal Rao (@ramgopal_rao) October 8, 2020
IIT Delhi: Guidelines to Change Branch
A candidate is eligible to apply for a switch in branch at the end of the first year only if a student fulfils the following eligibility criteria:
- A CGPA of more than 8.0 for candidates belonging to General and OBC Category
- For SC/ ST and PwD Category students, CGPA should be more than 7.0
- Students must have earned credits/ non-graded units at the end of second semester of the first year.
- Applicant’s grade should be equal to or above B in any one of the first-year course that is identified by each program.
- Students must not have any sort of disciplinary action going on against him/her.
“IIT-Delhi is starting new disciplines, most notably BTech in Design, where plans are on to reserve seats for students seeking branch change. Instead of admitting entry-level students, it makes sense to induct students who have spent a year at the IITs since they are more aware of their interests and are likely to make more informed choices,” said Rao.
About JEE Advanced 2020
JEE Advanced is considered as one of the toughest and competitive entrance exams in India.
This is an engineering entrance exam which is conducted by any of the IIT under the support of Joint Admission Board, India.
- To appear for JEE Advanced, candidates need to first clear the JEE Main.
- Only those students who are among the first 2,50,000 rank holders in JEE Main are eligible to appear in JEE Advanced.
- Those students who qualify JEE Advanced will be offered admission to BTech, BArch, BS courses in numerous IITs, NITs etc.
JEE Advanced entrance exam comprises two papers which are of 3-hour duration.
The entrance test is conducted in the online mode in both English and Hindi medium. Check JEE Advanced Exam Pattern here.