Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi (IIT Delhi) has been ranked 2nd in the Engineering category by NIRF Rankings 2019 as well as Outlook Rankings 2019. The college currently has a total strength of 5934 with over 800 female students across graduate and postgraduate programs. IIT Delhi also has a large and diverse faculty of over 650 members, with most of them being Ph.D holders from reputed national and international universities. The institute conducts various programs including undergraduate, postgraduate and Ph.D. programs.
Admissions are granted through national level entrance exams such as JEE, GATE, and JAM. Last year, the opening and closing ranks for B.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering were 2 and 89 respectively. The institute also has a great placement record with almost a 1000 placement offers from more than 400 companies in December 2019. Students are offered high ranking jobs in sectors like IT, Analytics, Management, Consulting and more. Some of the well-known companies that have recruited from IIT Delhi in the past include eBay, Facebook, Infosys, Nvidia, Samsung, Tata Motors, etc.
Click here IIT Delhi Cutoff
IIT Delhi Highlights
|Established | Type ||1961 | Autonomous|
|Recognized By||UGC, AICTE|
|Campus ||325 acres|
|Popular Courses ||UG, PG and Ph.D.|
|Entrance Test||JEE, GATE and JAM|
IIT Delhi Rankings
- Ranked 2nd in Engineering category by NIRF Ranking 2019
- Ranked 1st in Engineering category by India Today Ranking 2019
- Ranked 1st in Engineering category by The Week Ranking 2019
- Ranked 401-500 by World University Ranking 2020
- Ranked 3rd by QS Ranking 2020
- Ranked 654th overall by US News Ranking 2020
- Ranked 4th by Outlook Ranking 2020
- Ranked 5th-8th by ARWU Ranking 2019
- Ranked 3rd in Engineering category by Jagranjosh Ranking 2019
- Ranked 1st in Engineering category by EduVidya Ranking 2019
IIT Delhi Courses
The institute offers a variety of undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral courses in multiple disciplines. IIT Delhi Admission is done through national level entrance exam scores.
|Program||Specialization||Eligibility||Tuition Fee (per annum)|
|B.Tech||Computer Science and Engineering||10+2 in Science Stream with the minimum required marks from a reputed board||INR 2,24,900|
|Civil Engineering |
|M.Tech||Computer Science and Engineering|
B.Tech/ M.Sc degree with minimum 60% marks
B.Tech. from IITs with CGPA of 8.00 without GATE are also eligible for admission
|M.Sc||Physics||Bachelor’s degree in relevant stream with at least 55% marks from a recognized University/ Institute||INR 34,900|
|M.Des||Industrial Design ||B.Tech/ M.Sc degree with minimum 60% marks||INR 1,24,900|
|MBA||Management Systems ||Bachelor’s degree in Engineering /Technology/ Architecture /Pharmacy / B.Sc. Agri. Engg. (Minimum 4 year after 10+2) with at least 60% marks|
Master’s degree in any branch of Chemistry/ Computer Application, Physics/ Mathematics/ Statistics/ Environmental Science or Computational/ Information Sciences/ Electronics Sciences/ Agriculture/ Economics/ Commerce with minimum 60% marls
|INR 5,04,900 |
|Telecommunication Systems Management|
|Technology Management |
|Ph.D||Civil Engineering |
M.E/ M.Tech or MD degree with at least 60% (55% for SC/ST/PH) marks in aggregate
60% (55% for SC/ST/PH) marks in MBBS/ M.Sc/ MBA/ MA
Minimum 70% marks in B.E/B.Tech
|Computer Science and Engineering|
|Applied Mechanics |
|Chemical Engineering |
Check IIT Delhi Fees
IIT Delhi Admission
Candidates seeking admission in the institute must fulfill the eligibility criteria as per the courses. Students are required to fill in the online application by visiting the official website. After this, an application fee must be paid through State Bank Collect. Mentioned below are the courses with their respective entrance exams for admission to the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi.
|Program||Selection Criteria |
|B.Tech||JEE Main and JEE Advanced Score|
|M.Tech||GATE Score followed by Written Test and/or Interview|
|M.Des||EED followed by Written Test and/or Interview|
|MBA||CAT, Group Discussion and Interview Round|
|Ph.D||GATE/ UGC-NET/ CSIR-NET/ ICAR or ICMR score OR Written Test and Interview|
IIT Delhi Cutoff
Tabulated below is the cutoff of JEE Mains (B.Tech) in Indian Institute of Technology Delhi:
|Course||Male (Opening-Closing)||Female (Opening-Closing)|
|Computer Science and Engineering||2-93||233-465|
Following are the reserved categories as per the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi:
|OBC (Non-creamy layer)||27%|
IIT Delhi Scholarship
IIT Delhi provides different scholarships for undergraduate and postgraduate students. The institute offers a variety of scholarships under different categories.
- Institute Free Studentship-U.G.: 10% of students are provided free studentship on the basis of merit scored.
- Institute Merit-cum-Means (MCM) Scholarship: The Institute offers INR 1000 per month to about 25% of students. It is offered to meritorious undergraduate students in engineering and technology.
- Institute Merit Prizes and Certificates: Top 7% of students from B.Tech are rewarded with an amount of INR 2500 up to 8th and 10th semester.
- Scholarship provision for SC/ST students: The Institute exempts tuition fee of all SC/ST/PD students irrespective of their guardians/ parents’ income.
- Donor Scholarship: Individual organizations and trusts provide grants to students studying in the Institute.
- Merit-cum-Means (MCM) Scholarships: An amount of INR 1000 per month is provided to M.Sc students whose parents’ income is less than INR 4.5 LPA.
- For M.Tech., M.S. (Research) and M.Des. Students: An amount of INR 12,400 per month is awarded to students studying in these courses on a full-time basis. They will be required to provide assistance of 8 hours to the Department/Centre/School.
- For Ph.D. Candidates: A scheme of Research Assistantship is provided to research scholars by the Institute. The students admitted on a full-time basis are offered teaching/ research assistantship. An amount of INR 25,000 will be given to these students.
Click here: IIT Delhi Scholarships
IIT Delhi Placements
Indian Institute of Technology(IIT) Delhi has an Office of Career Services that offers students to be placed with reputed companies all across the world. The 1st Phase of IIT Delhi placements 2019 racked up 967 placement offers from over 400 companies, marking a 10% hike from previous placements including domestic and international offers. The students received more than 600 job profiles with some even receiving multiple offers.
Below is a chart mentioning the percentage of placed students and sectors offering the job profiles:
Some of the recruiting companies include big tech giants such as Uber, Amazon, Google, KPMG, Zomato, Dell, Infosys, Deloitte etc.
Check: IIT Delhi Placements
IIT Delhi Faculty
The faculty at the Indian Institute of Technology has a diverse team of 654 highly qualified and experienced members. Out of these, 650 are Ph.D. holders in their respective disciplines and are experts in their fields. These faculty members include the Dean, Professors, Associate Professors, Assistant Professors and others. The faculty members at IIT Delhi are highly supportive and encourage students to approach them whenever they have doubts or queries, even beyond class timings.
Check: IIT Delhi Faculty
IIT Delhi Facilities
Indian Institute of Technology (Delhi) has a Board for Student Welfare that takes care of all requirements that students have on campus. Students at IIT Delhi can enjoy convenient and enriching campus life with the following facilities:
- Hostel: There are a total of 11 boys hostels and 2 boys hostels on the campus. The hostels are laid out with green lawns and many amenities available to residents such as libraries, common rooms, indoor games, TV, delicious mess food, music rooms, dance rooms and more.
- Stationery Items: BSW has an on-campus store that provides students with services including xerox, printouts, file/folders, notebooks, art and craft materials etc.
- Bank and ATM: There are three SBI ATMs and a Canara Bank ATM across the campus. There are also multiple branches of the same banks on campus.
- Medical Facilities: There is a hospital available on campus that is in service 24x7. In case of severe emergencies, students can also be transported to the hospital in an ambulance.
- Food: There are 5 eateries spread across campus that offer students a variety of delicious meals. Students can also visit food joints and restaurants near the campus.
- Other Facilities: Some other facilities on campus that are available for students at IIT Delhi include a photo studio, railway reservation counter, post office and security control room.
Know More: IIT Delhi Hostel
IIT Delhi FAQs
Ques. How can I apply to IIT Delhi?
Ans. The admission procedure to IIT Delhi is done manually on the official website. Students can fill in the online application form by opening the official website which is followed by online payment of application fee by credit or debit card. Students must pay the application fee(INR 200 for general, INR 50 SC/ST/PH) through State Bank Collect. The admission to B.E/B.tech program is done on the basis of the candidate’s score in JEE Advanced.
Ques. How is the life of an IITian at IIT Delhi?
Ans. Student life at IIT Delhi is very enriching in terms of academic as well as extracurriculars. Students have a wonderful teaching faculty who are available for clearing doubts and clarifications outside the syllabus. The infrastructure consists of hi-tech facilities such as audio-visual aid and state of the art equipment in classrooms as well as labs. The campus has a central library which is one of the highlights of the campus. The college campus also has sports facilities available including basketball, volleyball, cricket etc. Students staying on the campus are offered comfortable hostel accommodations with various amenities that they can enjoy as residents. Students have access to the stationery store as well and xerox and printing services. There are various canteens and cafes spread across campus that provide students with good meals and other delicacies.
Ques. How are the placements at IIT Delhi?
Ans. The placements at IIT Delhi is one of the strongest among the IITs. During the 1st phase of placements in December 2019, nearly 1000 placement offers were made from more than 400 companies. These include domestic as well as international offers from technological giants in the industry with many students even getting multiple job offers. Over 600 profiles were offered in IT, management, consulting, finance and more sectors. In the academic year 2018-2019, 495 students were recruited with the median salary going up to INR 15,17,000. Some of the past recruiters at IIT Delhi are Amazon, Zomato, Microsoft, Uber, Flipkart and more.