University of South Wales: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
The University of South Wales is a merger of the University of Wales and the University of Glamorgan. It was formed on 11th April 2013. It is one of the largest public universities in the UK which offers students excellent prospects and opportunities in more than 500 courses to students. The University has a 14 to 8 student-faculty ratio. The University has students & Staff from over 120 countries across the globe.
University of South Wales Rankings
- As per Young University rankings, USW ranks between 251 to 300 in 2019.
- In 2019, the University of South Wales has 200+ European Teaching Rankings.
|Type of university||Public|
|Number of campuses||4|
|English language proficiency score||IELTS or equivalent|
University of South Wales Campus
- The University of South Wales has 4 campuses.
- University campuses are in Pontypridd, Newport, Cardiff, and Dubai.
- USW Pontypridd is the largest campus and has both historic and modern buildings.
- USW provides it, students to join the organization as per their interest as USW has more than 50 student societies and clubs for students.
- USW has more than 60 sports teams for various sports such as rugby, badminton, football, polo, swimming etc.
- All the University of Wales campuses are close to the city thus offers students vibrant nightlife to experience and enjoy with friends.
University of South Wales Residence
- USW offers students the option to live in residence halls or to opt for private sector housing options.
- Pontypridd campus has around 1,200 residence rooms for students and 20 self studio flats.
- All the residence halls are well equipped with Bed, chair, desk, closet, Wi-Fi internet, laundry service. The common kitchen & lounge has Television and all the required kitchen appliances.
- USW offers students help in searching a private home by Studentpad USW search engine and suggests student’s properties which are properly licensed for stay.
University of South Wales Programs
- The University of Wales offers Programs in the fields of Computing, Engineering and Society, Business and Society, Life Sciences and Education and Creative Industries.
- The University offers students with various programs for undergraduate, postgraduate, research degree, Foundation Routes, various short term courses in health care and part-time study options to various working professionals.
- Some of the courses offered at The University of Wales are Fashion, Accounting & Finance, Arts, History, Photography, Social Work, Law, Teaching, Computer, Design, Nursing etc.
University of South Wales Admission Process
- International students can apply for the University of South Wales Admission through UCAS or direct university application.
- The requirements for undergraduate admissions include secondary school qualifications, personal statements and other program-specific requirements.
- An undergraduate degree is required for admission to postgraduate courses.
- Students belonging to non- English speaking countries are required to submit their English proficiency test scores. All the tests other than IELTS are accepted only for the 2020 session. Minimum English Proficiency test requirements are tabulated below:
|Test||Minimum required score|
University of South Wales Cost of Attendance
The estimated cost of attendance for international students for 2020 (September) and 2021 (February) intakes are given below:
|Undergraduate tuition fee||£10,000- £13,500|
|Postgraduate tuition fee||£14,100- £15,000|
|Full-time research fee||£15,000 per year|
|Part-time research fee||£7,500 per year|
|English Language Study Skills (25 weeks)||£9,125|
University of South Wales Financial Aid
- Most of the Public Universities in the UK offer Scholarships to International students.
- International students at the University of South Wales are also provided with various scholarships and other financial aid options to finance their education.
- Students are automatically considered for International Office Scholarships which are worth £2,000.
- International Development Scholarships are for students belonging to Africa, Latin America, South Asia, South East Asia, Central Asia and the Caribbean. They are worth £2,500.
- Chevening scholarships cover tuition fees as well as living costs for 1- year postgraduate courses.
- Some other scholarships are GREAT Scholarships, Commonwealth Scholarships, fee discount for USW international students progressing to Masters etc.
University of South Wales Alumni
- Students graduating from the University of South Wales become lifelong members of its alumni association.
- They are offered with various benefits and services.
- 10% discount is given to them on professional training opportunities at USW.
- They can seek career advice and guidance from the career centre.
- Discounted access to learning resources, sports facilities, an invitation to events and reunions, postgraduate scholarships etc. are offered to them.
- Some of the notable alumni are:
- Emma Darwin – Author
- Asif Kapadia- Award-winning filmmaker
- Marco Marenghi- Hollywood Animator
- Dr Simon Miti- Zambia politician
- AnandTummala- Head Coach: the USA under 19 cricket team
University of South Wales Placement
- 95% of the graduates get paced or get enrolled in masters courses within 6 months of graduation.
- The Career Support centre of USW offers various facilities to the graduates to find suitable jobs.
- They can log in to My Career and look for suitable jobs for themselves.
- UniLife Connect has all the career-specific data of the university. Students can use websites like CareersConnect, Prospects, and Target jobs to look for job opportunities.
- Various events are organized by the Career centre and sue to current circumstances, they have arranged for online one- to- one Skype appointments for those students who have any career-specific queries.