University of Portsmouth, UK: Ranking, Courses, Admission 2021, Tuition Fee, Scholarships
The University of Portsmouth is a public research institution in Portsmouth, England founded as Portsmouth Polytechnic in 1969. The college history can be dated back to 1908 when the school started as a Municipal College. Through exceptional teaching, world-leading research, organizational structure, commitment in championing sustainability, diversity, equality, and transparency; the school has been steadfast in contributing its quota to the development of the human race through education of students from all corners of the world
An array of undergraduate and postgraduate programs are offered at the University of Portsmouth. Students have expressed a 84% satisfaction with the course quality in the Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey 2020. The outstanding quality of teaching at the university has been recognized with TEF Gold. It is a 5-star rated university for teaching, employability, facilities, internalisation, inclusiveness and other factors as per the QS Top Universities 2021. University of Portsmouth is a coveted institution for studying in the UK.
University of Portsmouth has more than 4,000 international students coming from over 150 countries. There are more than 190 undergraduate courses offered by University of Portsmouth, including Bachelor's, integrated Master's, Foundation and diploma courses. Almost 5.9 million GBP is the amount offered to the students each year in the form of bursaries and hardship funds. 45-55 is the female and male students ratio.
University of Portsmouth Rankings
The latest rankings of University of Portsmouth are summarized in the table below:
- World University Rankings 2021 by Times Higher Education: 501-600th
- Impact Rankings 2020 by by Times Higher Education: 101-200th
- Young University Rankings 2020 by Times Higher Education: 101-200th
- World University Rankings 2021 by QS Top Universities: 601-650th
|Application fees||25 GBP|
|Financial aid||Grants, scholarships, loans|
|English language proficiency score||TOEFL or equivalent|
University of Portsmouth Campus
- The University of Portsmouth campus is located in the island city of Portsmouth, Hampshire, England.
- Portsmouth city is an island where everything is located at the students’ doorstep – including Southsea Common and the beach
- The campus houses laboratory and testing facilities, teaching and learning spaces, sports and fitness facilities, and other resources
- Notable facilities on campus include the new Library, halls and sports center, Dennis Sciama Building for Institute of Cosmology and Gravitation, Eldon Building with creative studios and a 200-seat cinema-quality screening room, the newly completed 12 million GBP Future Technology Centre (FTC), Etc
- With the help of different clubs and societies within the campus, the Students Union offers lots of opportunities for students to socialize, and get involved in extracurricular activities
University of Portsmouth Residence
- The University of Portsmouth offers on-campus housing facilities to international students located close to the campus.
- Accommodation options include halls of residence at Bateson Hall, Burrell House, Catherine House, Greetham Street Hall, Margaret Rule Hall, Harry Law Hall, Rees Hall, Studio Flats, Trafalgar Hall, and Rosalind Franklin Halls.
- All residence halls are self-catered except Rees Hall and Burrell House which are catered halls.
- Each room is backed with amenities like Wi-Fi, basic insurance, bed, desk, drawers and a number of sockets.
- Most rooms available on the campus are en-suite with private toilets and showers.
- Students also prefer to live off-campus by renting a shared house or flats. The rent of shared flats or houses is 390 GBP to 520 GBP including bills.
- Students can also opt for lodging facilities which would cost an average of 80-110 GBP.
University of Portsmouth Courses
- University of Portsmouth offers a number of programs with over 194 undergraduate programs, 142 postgraduate taught courses, 50 postgraduate research programs.
- Courses are offered in the field of Accounting, Finance, Animation, Biomedical Science, Criminal Justice, Applied Aquatic Biology, etc.
- The university has 5 main faculties that further have various schools and institutes. The faculties are: Faculty of Business and Law, Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, Faculty of Science and Health, Faculty of Technology.
- Programs are available on-campus, online, part-time and distance learning modes.
- The university also offers over 20 top-up courses such as BA in Accountancy and Financial Management, BSc in Creative Media Technologies, MSc in Leadership and Management, etc.
The official deadline for applying for courses through the UCAS portal is January 15. However, the application dates for courses applied through direct application tend to vary for different graduate programs. Therefore, students are advised to check the deadlines before applying.
University of Portsmouth Application Process
How to apply
Application Portal: Undergraduate students planning to apply in the UK can apply online via the school application portal or UCAS, while Postgraduate is via the School Application Portal
Application Fees: 25 GBP by UCAS for an undergraduate application while Postgraduate application is free for all courses.
Application Deadline: The official deadline set by UCAS for most courses is January 15. The students applying for the graduate programs need to check the deadlines, as each course has different deadlines.
Entry Requirements for Indian Students
- Undergraduate: 75%+ in the 12 Standard examinations, or 70% in the Central Board
- Postgraduate: Bachelor's degree with a minimum of 2nd Class Honors.
- Academic transcripts
- Official certified and translated copies of degree grades
- Academic reference
- Personal Statement of purpose
- English Language Test Scores
- Copy of current passport
- Program-specific requirement
English Language Requirements
Students whose first language is not English are required to demonstrate their proficiency in the language by submitting one of the tests listed in the table below
|Test||Undergraduate Minimum Score||Postgraduate Minimum score|
|IELTS||6.0, with no element less than 5.5||6.5 - 7.0 with no element less than 6.0|
|TOEFL iBT||79 with no less than 18 in Reading, 20 in Speaking, and 17 in Listening and Writing||91 with no less than 20 in Reading and writing, 19 in Listening, and 21 in Speaking|
|PTE||54 with no less than 51 in each component||61 with no less than 54 in each component|
University of Portsmouth Cost of Attendance
- The tuition fees tend to vary based on the choice of program. The typical tuition fees for international students are listed below:
|Expense||Amount (in GBP)|
- The cost of living in UK for students at University of Portsmouth living in residence halls and private accommodation are given below:
|Expense||Living on-campus (in GBP)||Living off-campus (in GBP)|
|Total expenses per week||179-279||185-236|
|Total expenses per academic year||7,160-11,160||7,400-9,440|
University of Portsmouth Scholarships
- Applicants may get funding opportunities from various sources not limited to international organizations, host countries, individuals and even the school
- Students can also get a tuition fee discount by referring a friend to study at the University.
- A Student can also work while studying if he/she chooses to
- Students are also offered merit-based scholarships by the school. Examples of some financial Support for International Students in the UK at the university include:
- University of Portsmouth International Scholarships worth 1,600 GBP tuition fee reduction for the first year
- Chancellor's Global Academic Merit Scholarship worth 5,000 GBP tuition fee reduction for the first year
- Faculty of Business and Law Postgraduate Scholarship worth 40% tuition fee discount
- School of the Environment, Geography and Geosciences (SEGG) Scholarship worth 50% course tuition fee discount
- SQA Advanced Diploma Scholarship worth 2,000 GBP to 3,000 GBP
University of Portsmouth Alumni
- By joining the university, students will get a chance to be a part of the community of over 200,000 alumni.
- Some of the benefits enjoyed by alumni include Lifetime Careers support, Startup and business support, global community network, Library membership, Sport and Rec membership, etc.
- Lots of alumni events are organized aimed to allow students stay connected in the University community, and enhance their career along with building their network connections.
- 23,800 GBP is the average salary for our graduates, six months after graduating
A few of the notable alumni include:
- Martin Whitmarsh – CEO of McLaren Racing and COO of McLaren Group
- Ben Fogel – Broadcaster
- Grayson Perry - English artist
University of Portsmouth Placements
- The University of Portsmouth is ranked 1st in the UK by The Economist for boosting graduate salaries.
- The university has a high graduate employability rate with 94% of students getting placed after graduation as per the HESA Graduate Outcomes Survey Conducted in 2020.
- The average salary earned by the graduates of University of Portsmouth by degree according to Emolument is given in the table below:
|Degree||Average Salary (in GBP)|
|Masters in Science||45,000|
|Bachelors of Arts||37,000|
|Masters of Arts||35,000|
Students are offered career assistance in the form of online workshops, career advice through telephone and video chat, career fairs, CV and cover letter writing, interview preparation and practice. The Career Services offer assistance to students and graduates for securing part-time work, volunteering opportunities and jobs in the UK. The university also offers a placement year degree known as Sandwich degree overseas and self-employment during the study.
Ques. Where does the University of Portsmouth rank in the world?
Ans. University of Portsmouth ranks 501-600th in THE World University Rankings 2021.
Ques. How much is the tuition fee at University of Portsmouth?
Ans. The tuition fees at University of Portsmouth ranges between 15,500-17,600 GBP.
Ques. How to apply for programs at the University of Portsmouth?
Ans. Candidates must apply online by filling the online application by visiting the individual course page or through the UCAS application page.
Ques. Is it mandatory to submit a personal statement?
Ans. Yes, international students must submit a personal statement explaining why they want to apply for the program and the reason for choosing the University
Ques. Does the University of Portsmouth offer on-campus housing?
Ans. Yes, the University of Portsmouth offers on-campus and off-campus housing for international students. On-campus housing is offered in the residence hall, which includes ensuite bedrooms and all the necessary amenities like WiFi, kitchen, private toilets, and showers, etc.
Ques. Does University of Portsmouth allow students to live off-campus?
Ans. Yes, the University allows students to live off-campus in the form of private renting and shared rooms.
Ques. Does the University of Portsmouth require letters of recommendation for admissions?
Ans. Yes, the University of Portsmouth requires academic references on official headed papers, one letter of recommendation for undergraduate programs, and two for postgraduate programs.
Ques. What are the minimum English language proficiency scores required for admission to University of Portsmouth?
Ans: International applicants must submit one of the following English language proficiency scores required for admission to the University of Portsmouth:
|Test||Undergraduate Program||Graduate Programs|
|Pearson Test of English (PTE)||54||61|
|Cambridge English Qualifications (C1)||169||176|
Ques. Are standardized test scores of SAT/ ACT scores mandatory for undergraduate admissions to the University of Portsmouth?
Ans. No, the University does not require Standardized Test Scores of SAT or ACT for undergraduate programs.
Ques. What are the minimum admission requirements for students from India?
Ans. Students from India must have completed Standard 12 examination with an average of 75% or Central Board with 70% for admission to undergraduate programs. For admission to master’s level programs, students must have a completed bachelor’s degree with at least 2nd class honors degree.
Ques. Where can international students find help for completing the application?
Ans. International students can get in touch with an official representative of the university in the applicant’s home country.
FIND A PROGRAM
Times Higher Education
RANKED #501 - #600
RANKED #501 - #600
RANKED #401 - #500
RANKED #401 - #500
RANKED #501 - #600
View More >>
QS World University
RANKED #601 - #650
One of my friend suggested me this college. He stated that the faculty was amazing and also all the facilities the we required are well and good. The also the main reason is that this particular university has the course that I want to persue which is Max engineering management Head the u had awesome teachers for this course and also I chose that university as i like that place
Course Curriculum :
It’s been 2 months that I have been here and everything is going good as of now. My academics are going smooth and syllabus is being covered on time. I am happy for choosing this course as it is really interesting and is also related to my previous course. The faculty are helping me understand all the details. They also helped me reach the current standard of the student as I am a bit late to college due to pandamic.
My cousin lives in the UK and she did her bachelor's from this college so, when I visited the UK. she recommended me this college to do my further studies. I was impressed by the infrastructure and the academics of the institute and therefore decided to take admission here. I was required to pay an application fee of £18 and applied through the official website of the college.
Course Curriculum :
My course is very interesting. I was taught about the construction of roads, buildings, and Highways. I was also taught to make a successful architecture.
After completing my higher secondary from Calcutta I went to a Consulting agency and they recommended this college after intensive research I concluded to take admission here and today I am proud of my decision. I was required to pay an application fee of £18 and applied through the UCAS of the college
Course Curriculum :
My course is very interesting and updated. I was taught about accounts and Finance from the very basic level to an advanced level where I was taught everything professionally and applied in the real life.
My uncle lives in the UK and he suggested me to do my bachelor's from here. After a long discussion with my parents, I concluded to choose the college which was the best decision in my life and shifted to the UK. I was required to apply through the official website of the college. The application fee was £25.
Course Curriculum :
In my course, I was taught about genomics, biotechnology, Marine animals, and Marine conservation which I found to be very interesting.
I was recommended to this college by a Consulting agency. After that, I personally with my father went to the UK to check out my University and I was impressed by the infrastructure and the amenities available at my University. so I decided to take admission here and applied to the official website of the college by paying £25.
Course Curriculum :
My course is very interesting and unique. I was taught about corporate engagement and internationalization so I can be qualified to fit in every type of organization.
- Book Store
- Train Station
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary