University of Portsmouth Admission 2020-2021, Requirement, Deadline & Acceptance Rate
The University of Portsmouth hosts a total of 24,000 students offering admission to 186 undergraduate and 140 postgraduate courses. The university has a population of 1400 international students from more than 150 countries.
- There is a separate application portal for undergraduate and graduate courses. Applications to undergraduate courses is accepted via UCAS and graduate courses through the graduate application portal
- The application process remains similar for international students. International applicants are required to submit language proficiency scores and fulfill visa requirements to study in University of Portsmouth.
- In case of any questions regarding the application process, contact email@example.com
|Application Portal||UG – UCAS
PG – Graduate Application Portal
|Mode of Payment||Webpay|
|Academic Calendar||Semester based|
|Application fee||£18 for 1 course £24 for multiple courses|
|Financial Aid||Scholarships/bursaries/loans/sponsorships/referral awards|
University of Portsmouth Admission Deadlines
- It is advised to submit application within the deadline to start the course in the desired year. The general deadline for admission to undergraduate courses is January 15th of the year in which the applicant wish to join the university.
- After January 15th, applicants can still apply through UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admission Services) or can directly apply by filling the online application form.
- Applications to graduate programs are accepted throughout the year.
University of Portsmouth International Admission
International students applying to Portsmouth also has to follow the same application process as domestic students. The additional requirements to be fulfilled by international students are given below:
- A completed application form
- Statement of Purpose
- Officially certified and translated copies of academic qualifications
- Academic reference
- Proof of minimum English language proficiency
English Language Proficiency Requirement
International applicants are required to demonstrate their English language proficiency by submitting the results of accepted English language tests. The minimum score required for these tests are tabulated below. Applicants can submit any one of the test scores.
|Tests||Minimum Score Required for UG||Minimum Score Required for PG|
|IELTS||6.0||6.5 - 7.0|
|PTE – Pearson Test of English||54||61|
An international student needs Tier 4 (General) Student Visa to study at the University of Portsmouth. The requirements to apply for a student visa is given below-
- Applicant must have a valid passport
- IELTS certificate needs to be shown
- The applicant must have a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from the University
- The applicant needs to prove that he has sufficient funds to support himself and pay his tuition fee.
University of Portsmouth Undergraduate Admissions
The University of Portsmouth offers 186 undergraduate courses to its students. Applications are submitted via UCAS. The application fee for applying to one course is £18 and £24 for multiple courses. The detailed requirements for some courses is given below-
|Course||Minimum English Language Proficiency||Required Ucas Score|
|International Business||IELTS – 6.0 with no component below 5.5||112-120 points or equivalent|
|Computer Science||IELTS – 6.0 with no component below 5.5||104-120 points or equivalent|
|Fashion and textile engineering||IELTS – 6.0 with no component below 5.5||104-112 points or equivalent|
University of Portsmouth Graduate Admissions
The University of Portsmouth offers 140 postgraduate courses to its students. The detailed information regarding application for some courses is tabulated below:
Application Portal: Graduate Application Portal
Application Fee: £18
|Course||Academic Requirements||Minimum English Language Proficiency|
|Mechanical Engineering (MSc)||A second-class honors degree or equivalent.||IELTS- 6.0 with no component below 5.5|
|Biotechnology (MSc)||A 2:1 honors degree in a relevant subject or equivalent.||IELTS- 6.5 with no component below 6.0|
|Sports Management (MSc)||A 2:2 honors degree in Sports, Business or Management subject.||IELTS- 6.5 with no component below 6.0|
|Media and Communication (MA)||Second class honors degree in a relevant subject.||IELTS- 6.5 with no component below 6.0|
The Admissions team assess the application holistically. The application is reviewed on the basis of all of the submitted documents and not just academic achievements. The university is not just looking for an outstanding candidate on paper and are more interested in the person behind the application. Therefore, applicants are advised to put effort and express their motivation and enthusiasm for joining the course through well written statement of purpose, references and experience.