Brunel University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Brunel University, United Kingdom is a public university in the Uxbridge, London founded in 1966 and named after one of the British greatest Engineers of the 19th century-Isambard Kingdom Brunel (1806-1859). Brunel University is concerned about the academic standards and quality of the education that it provides which is geared towards being consistent with the Framework for Higher Education Qualifications (FHEQ), an important reference point for providers of United Kingdom university degrees.
As of 2018-19, the institute welcomed more than 5,000 students from all over the world. They have an excellent team of more than 1,500 staff members working towards the welfare of students. The institute is highly desirable by international students who wish to study in the UK. They offer over 200 programs and provide a vibrant, safe, and diverse campus life. Furthermore, the institute believes in affordability and offers over 100 scholarships for international students.
Brunel University is ranked by various agencies as follows:
- 351 – 400th in World University Rankings 2020 by Times Higher Education
- 99th in Impact Rankings 2020 by Times Higher Education
- 80th in Young University Rankings 2016 by Times Higher Education
- 368th in QS Global World Ranking by QS World University Ranking
- 51–100th in QS Global World Ranking by Subject Ranking by QS World University Ranking
|Type of Institute||Public|
|Programs offered||Masters and Bachelors|
|Mode of operation||Online and classroom|
|Application fee||25 GBP for UG.|
|Financial Aid||Scholarships, loans, and grants.|
Brunel University Campus
- Brunel is operated on a single campus in Uxbridge, west London which is well connected to the rest of the city.
- The campus location is 40 minutes’ drive by a tube to central London, a short drive from M25, M4, and M40, and 20 minutes by car to Heathrow Airport
- The buildings are strategically built close to each other, which means students are usually less than 10 minutes away from lecture theatres, halls of residence, research facilities, social and sports facilities, or the library.
- Brunel Arts- offering weekly art classes, Brunel Volunteers-organizing events to raise charity funds or over 100 student societies are all open for students to participate and grow with like-minded people.
- Costcutter, a retail shop run by the university, is located at Hamilton Center that offers a wide range of services. Student’s shop located near the residency is also a good place to have snacks and chill.
- Students are given access to specialist laboratories for research such as bio-processing and experimental techniques, electronic imaging, driving and train simulators, flight, and a 3D body scanner.
Brunel University Residence
- Accommodation is guaranteed to all international students for the duration of their studies. All University-managed accommodation is on campus and near the academic buildings.
- Brunel offers over 4,500 modern, safe, and comfortable rooms in 33 on-campus residence halls.
- The students are given the options according to their level of program, i.e., UG, PG, or Research students.
- All rooms on campus are self-catering with amenities like free Wi-Fi, shared communal kitchens and laundry facilities, electronic door entry system, CCTV, 24-hour security, etc
- The three different bedroom type available are:
- En suite - private bath/shower room facilities
- Standard - shared bath/shower room facilities
- Studios/ Flats suitable for cohabiting couples-with personal kitchen and shower room facilities
- Students who wish to live off-campus can find suitable accommodation by using the Brunel Students Letting.
Brunel University Programs
- Brunel University offers more than 200 undergraduate and postgraduate courses organized into three colleges:
- Engineering, Design and Physical Sciences; Business
- Arts and social sciences
- Health and life sciences
- Through the London Brunel International College (LBIC), Brunel offers a world-class pathway program leading to admission into an undergraduate or postgraduate program at the university.
- The LBIC offers foundational and pre-masters programs in courses like Business, Engineering, English, Health, Law, and Life science.
- BrunELT English test and pre-sessional English language courses are available for international students who do not meet English requirements or who wish to improve their English.
- Presently, mode of lectures on campus is Dual Delivery (also known as Blended or Hybrid mode of lecture) where online and face to face on-campus are used simultaneously.
- Brunel also offers online courses for both domestic and international students.
Brunel University Application Process
Application Portal: Undergraduate application is via UCAS or through a registered agent of the school in the applicant’s country, while Postgraduate is via the School Application Portal
Application Fees: 25 GBP by UCAS for an undergraduate application while Postgraduate application is free for all courses.
- Undergraduate: Admission requirements for individual programs vary, however, a typical offer range between 78 and 81% in the applicant’s best four Standard XII subjects (excluding Hindi and P.E).
- Postgraduate: Applicants are required to possess a minimum score of 55%-65%. Offers granted within this grade range are determined by the higher education institution attended. Work experience is optional.
- The official deadline set by UCAS for most courses is 30 June. For Medicine or Dentistry program application, the deadline is 15 October before entry/resumption in September the following year
- Postgraduate: For courses beginning September 2020, applicants must apply by 21 August, 2020 while for courses beginning January 2021, applicants must apply by 23 November, 2020
- Original certificates
- Official Transcript
- Personal Letter
- A copy of the photo page the current passport
- Program-specific requirements
- English Language Test Scores
English Language Requirements
Applicants whose first language is not English must provide evidence of proficiency in English language but providing one of the following tests and their scores
|IELTS Academic||6.5 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in all sub-scores||6.5 overall with a minimum of 6.0 in all sub-scores|
|PTE Academic||58 overall with a minimum of 51 in all sub-scores||58 overall with a minimum of 51 in all sub-scores|
|TOEFL iBT||92 (min R18, L17, S20, W17) 92 overall with 17 in writing and listening, 18 in reading, and 20 in speaking||92 overall with a minimum of 20 in speaking and 18 in other sub-scores|
|BrunELT||65% (minimum of 55% in all areas)||65% (minimum of 60% in all areas)|
English language test is not required if the applicant completed all of his/her undergraduate studies in the UK or in a country where English is the official first language.
Brunel University Cost of Attendance
This table provides a rough estimate of the cost of attendance for the 2020/2021 session. This cost is compiled on a 50-weeks basis; however, this still varies greatly from student to student.
|Tuition Fees||15,860 – 17355|
|Additional cost||200 – 400|
|Total||28,830 – 30,525|
International students are required to pay a tuition fee deposit of 3,000 GBP which may only be refundable on reasons of non-issuance of a visa.
Brunel University Financial Aid
- In 2020/21, Brunel University promises to offer over 130 scholarships and bursaries as a source of financial support to International Students.
- These scholarships and bursaries are not just limited to merit-based or need-based but based on a whole range of criteria
- Scholarships available for international students include:
- College of Engineering, Design & Physical Sciences (CEDPS) Academic Excellence: A student enrolled in full time Undergraduate course within the College of Engineering, Design and Physical Sciences is eligible. The scholarship is worth 2,000 GBP and is given for up to three years.
- Commonwealth Shared Scholarship: Candidates from least developed, low, and lower middle income Commonwealth countries who have been admitted in full time Master's study on selected courses are eligible. The student will receive 100% tuition fee amount and various other benefits such as travel grants, family allowance, thesis grants, etc.
- International Excellence Scholarship 2020/21: All the international students starting their education in September 2020 or January 2021 are eligible. The scholarship is worth 6,000 GBP and is given on the basis of academics.
- Other scholarships offered include MBA Scholarship (Full-time & Part-time) worth 6,500 – 11,000 GBP, Postgraduate Academic Excellence Scholarship worth 15% tuition discount, Sports Scholarship Program worth 3,000 GBP, The Rotary Foundation Scholarship worth 30,000 GBP, etc.
- The institute has an alumni association that helps the students in every possible way. As a member of the alumni group, the students can avail various benefits such as:
- Help with job hunt
- 15% discount on postgraduate/further study fee
- Library Access
- Support for Startups and Freelance.
- Some notable alumni are as follows:
- Carlton Cummins – CTO and Co-Founder of Aceleron
- Kevin Ambrose - Vice President at Crown Holdings
- Guillaume Bayens - Grand Duke of Luxembourg
- Over 95% of courses in Brunel comes with a chance to secure a placement.
- Brunel also help graduates secure placements through their well-established connections in a wide range of industries in the private and public sector.
- Notable companies that offer job and internship placements to students include Heathrow Airport, BrandPie, Telefónica Europe, Mars, Network Rail, leapSTONE, Tata Beverages, Tetley Tea, Orange, Coats plc, etc.
- The average annual salary of Brunel graduates as reported by PayScale is 34,000 GBP.