Fordham University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Established in 1841 with a motto of “Wisdom and Learning”, Fordham University is a private research institute in New York City, United States. Named after the Fordham neighbourhood in the Bronx, the organization is a coveted name in the US Education System which currently enrolled nearly 15,300 students representing more than 65 countries across the globe.
The institute has been recognized as the oldest Catholic and Jesuit university in the northeastern US that specializes in effectively and efficiently using resources to benefit their students, making it one of the sought-after organizations for international students to study in the USA.
Admissions at the Fordham University are offered in the seasonal intakes of Fall and Spring with November 4 as the priority deadline for early decisions for the term of fall. According to a U.S. News and World Report, it was found that the institute is a "highly selective university" and has been classified several times as the "Most Competitive" organization to get into which is evident in its moderate acceptance rate of 46%.
- Recently, the university was ranked 87 in Best Value Schools by US News 2020.
- The institute has been ranked #45 for being the Best College for Veterans.
- It stands at number 74 in the National University rankings, 2020.
- It has also secured 251st position in Top Performers on Social Mobility.
|University Type||Private University|
|The Establishment Year||1841|
|Location||New York City, New York, US|
|Faculty to Student Ratio||1:15|
|Mode of Program||Full Time and Part-Time|
|Total Number of Academic Programs||Undergraduate – 17
Graduate – 7
|Cost of Attendance||36,000 USD|
|Annual Acceptance Rate||46%|
|Test Scores Accepted||TOEFL/IELTS or equivalent|
Programs, Campus and Accommodation
The institute offers a plethora of undergraduate and graduate courses for international students across its 9 schools and 3 campuses. Fordham is a place where the core curriculum acts as a stepping stone before choosing a major.
At Undergraduate level, the university offers 17 courses in nine disciplines: English, mathematical/computational reasoning, social science, philosophy and ethics, history, fine arts, religious studies, natural science, and modern or Classical languages. Undergraduate students are expected to have finished most of the core requirements as a sophomore. Upon the completion of the Core Curriculum, students get to choose from nearly 50 major courses in which they will receive their degree.
The graduate programs offered by Fordham University cover the domain of business, education, English, history, law, psychology and social work, all of which have been ranked among the top 100 in the nation.
Master's and doctoral degrees are offered through the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, the Graduate School of Education, the School of Law, the Gabelli School of Business, the Graduate School of Social Service and the Graduate School of Religion and Religious Education.
Top Programs in Fordham University
|Programs||Fees Per Annum|
|MSc Computer Science||$41,400|
|MSc Information Technology||$48,510|
|MSc Business Analytics||$48,510|
Fordham University has 3 main fully functional campuses which are in and around New York City: Rose Hill in the Bronx, adjacent to Bronx Park on Fordham Road; Lincoln Center in Manhattan, which is situated just one block away from the Central Park and the cosy Westchester located in West Harrison, New York.
- The Rose Hill campus, is home to, the Gabelli School of Business, and a division of the School of Professional and Continuing Studies, as well as the Graduate Schools of Arts and Sciences.
- The Lincoln Center campus is home to Fordham College at Lincoln Center and the School of Law, and the Fordham School of Business.
- The Westchester campus is home to divisions of the School of Professional and Continuing Studies, the Martino Graduate School of Business Administration, and the Education and Social Service graduate schools.
In addition to its three main campuses, the university also operates the Louis Calder Center, a biological field station 30 miles (50 km) north of New York City in Armonk, New York.
Outside the United States, the university maintains a small campus in London, known as the London Centre. Also, Fordham operates field offices in Granada, Spain, and Pretoria, South Africa; these house undergraduate study abroad programs.
The institute offers over 130 clubs and organizations for its students and also provides a great atmosphere it's athletic candidates in the field of baseball, basketball, golf, track and field, among others.
The university offers its students a variety of housing options distributed over their 3 main campuses. In the Rose Hill Campus, there are eleven residence halls on campus, including Queen's Court residential college, and nine Integrated Learning Communities that each cater to a particular year (freshman, sophomore, etc.). Also, the campus contains two residences for Jesuits, a retirement home, and the Murray-Weigel infirmary. In the Lincoln Centre, the new freshman residence dormitory McKeon Hall opened in 2014 fall, along with the new Fordham Law School building.
At each of these residence halls, the students also get to savour expansive green spaces, fitness centers, on-campus dining and an array of clubs and student organizations.
Fordham University Admission Process
How to Apply?
- Application Portal: Applicants can apply online at Common Application along with the submission of the essay.
- Application Fee: 70 USD
- Specific requirements: All the academic records/transcripts from the previously attended institution(s) can be mailed from your high school in a sealed and signed envelope or sent digitally through a secure electronic source, Copy of Diploma, a valid Certificate of Immunization and a Statement of purpose which highlights an applicant’s career objectives and future goals.
- Additional requirements: Copy of the Biographic Page of the Passport, Bank Statement with a minimum of 20,000 USD, ID Proof, Insurance documentation, Valid student Visa.
- English Proficiency Requirements:
- Have a recent TOEFL score (internet-based) of 90 or higher.
- Have a recent IELTS score of 7.0 or higher.
Though deadlines for some courses at the institute may vary, some of the common application deadlines are as mentioned below.
- Priority deadline for early admissions: November 4
- Regular decisions: January 1,
Spring Intake- November 1.
Fordham University Cost of Attendance
The institute encourages its aspirants and prospective students to pre plan their stay at the institute by getting a basic idea of the expenses they might incur while staying in a forign land away from family. An estimated budget for international students looking to study in the US and hoping to enroll at the university for the upcoming academic year is compiled as follows:
|Description||Resident (USD)||Commuter (USD)||Off-Campus (USD)|
|Room and Board||NA||3,060||12,438|
|Personal and Misc.||1,910||1,368||1,880|
|Type of Expenditure||Gabelli School of Business (USD)||Law School (USD)|
|Room and Board||18,136||20,470|
|Personal and Misc.||3,800||4,340|
Fordham University makes sure that students are well aware of the different ways that they can pay for their college education. There are grants and scholarships for international students to study in the USA which are awarded on the basis of merit and need and are as mentioned below.
- The Presidential Scholarship: Is one of the highest competitive awards given to 20 admitted students who have shown academic excellence and exceptional promise for the future. It amounts to a full tuition fee each year. Students having a minimum GPA of 3.0 and maintaining University's policies and Code of Conduct must submit their applications.
- Fordham Scholarship for Semifinalists: Is a scholarship awarded to finalists and semi finalists students who took part in National Merit or National Hispanic Recognition competitions. It amounts to a full tuition fee each year. Students having a minimum GPA of 3.0 and maintaining University's policies and Code of Conduct must submit their applications.
- Dean's Scholarship: Is a scholarship awarded to an incoming traditional freshman who has attained an A or A- average, high academic performance in a competitive curriculum, and above 1490 on a 1600 scale or its equivalent on standardized testing. It amounts to USD 15,000 for courses taken as a traditional undergrad. Students having a minimum GPA of 3.0 and maintaining University's policies and Code of Conduct must submit their applications.
- Loyola Scholarships: Is a scholarship awarded to incoming traditional freshman and transfer students who have shown academic excellence and exceptional promise for the future. It amounts to USD 1,000- 12,500 as an annual award. Students having a minimum GPA of 3.0 and maintaining University's policies and Code of Conduct must submit their applications.
Apart from these the students at the university also have a chance at assisting their tuition through outside scholarships which include-Excellence in Theatre Scholarship, Fordham Theatre Scholarship, and many more. The amount awarded by each of these scholarships varies year to year along with their deadlines.
Fordham University Alumni Association that was established years ago and aims at encouraging fellowship among the graduates of the college, either the former students or even the faculty of the college can promote goodwill in the community, and help them create a dynamic alumni program that will stimulate interest, develop a loyal relation, expand involvement and bring about support for the College.
Once you’re a part of the association, one is enabled to serve and volunteer in your community, Support the College through fundraising events, and Reconnect with old classmates and maybe build a business client.
Few notable alumni of the university include: Donald Trump: 45th President of the United States of America, Alan Alda: Emmy and Golden Globe-winning actor, Patricia Clarkson: Academy Award-nominated actress and Don DeLillo: Pulitzer Prize-nominated novelist, among others.
Find a Program
Application Portal :https://www.fordham.edu/admissions/
Early Action Deadlines
Regular Decision Deadlines
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
QS World University
Ranked #801 - #1000
My university was committed to the discovery of Wisdom and the transmission of Learning, through research and through education of the highest quality. Guided by its Catholic and Jesuit traditions, Fordham fosters the intellectual, moral, and religious development of its students and prepares them for leadership in a global society. My GPA was around 8. I had applied through an online application form and my application fees were around $50.
Course Curriculum :
My program of applied health informatics provided me with a sound theoretical base in health informatics, together with practical insight and experience that will equip them for a professional career in the field. Taught at Fordham's London Centre, the program allows students to study in the U.K. and receive a U.S. degree. The 36-credit program can be finished in as little as one year of full-time study.
My father got transferred to the USA suddenly. I was with my mom alone and I didn't score well in my JEE, so my mom suggested me to prepare for the SAT and take admission to any college in New York. So that we could all live there together, so I did the same and I got admitted here by applying through the online portal by paying $70.
Course Curriculum :
With courses in philosophy, theology, history, foreign languages, math, science, they have designed a course that fosters flexibility, curiosity, and well-roundedness in us.
I wanted to be in the city and Fordham was in a fantastic spot with access to the theater which is what I ultimately want to work in. I knew I was above Fordham's average so I could get in. I had the application fee waived. I applied to 14 colleges and I got into 9 of them. I've maintained a high honors status throughout all my schooling. I loved the independence the Lincoln Center campus has while still maintaining a sense of community.
Course Curriculum :
There are a ton of core requirements but they ultimately help you become a well-rounded student and assist you in determining your concentration. You learn about marketing, business communications, information systems, accounting, business law, ethics, management, etc. Something special about Gabelli is the Consulting Cup Challenge which is a semester-long project that takes on real-world businesses and teams propose ideas and solutions for their development.
Great professors, great location near the city. Beautiful campus and is not too big of a school, less than 10,000 students. Also, the students are all very motivated and driven creating a hardworking environment.
Course Curriculum :
It is very rigorous but at the same time very engaging. I am learning a lot about myself and my work ethic. The courses are very hands-on and with small classes, it's easy to stay involved and be connected with the teachers.
- Bus Station
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary