New Jersey Institute of Technology: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
The New Jersey Institute of Technology located in Newark, New Jersey is a popular public research university. Founded in 1881 as Newark Technical School, the university is now accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSA), Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET), Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), and more.
Being one of the leading public technological research universities in the USA, NJIT offers more than 125 undergraduate and graduate degree programs in six specialized schools namely the Newark College of Engineering, the College of Architecture and Design, the College of Computing Sciences, the College of Science and Liberal Arts, the School of Management, and the Albert Dorman Honours College.
The institution offers admissions with an acceptance rate of 73%. The university enrolls around 11,400 students through rolling admissions. Around 90% of students are from the United States and 4% are international students. The institution also offers financial aid to international students to study in the USA.
The student-faculty ratio of the university is 16:1 and the major courses offered by the university are science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) areas, architecture, design, and management. The students of the institution are job-ready at their graduation and are able to get 20% higher salaries than the national average.
Staying in New Jersey offers a reasonable cost of living for students with New York in close proximity.
New Jersey Institute of Technology Ranking
The rankings for NJIT by various reputed agencies are given below:
US News and World Report 2021 Rankings:
- #118 in National Universities
- #81 in Best Colleges for Veterans
- #113 in Best Value Schools
- #66 in Top Performers on Social Mobility
- #54 in Top Public Schools
- #90 in Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs
Times Higher Education Rankings 2021:
- # 501-600 in World University Rankings
- # 193 in US College Rankings
Niche Rankings 2021:
- #819 of 1,674: Most Liberal Colleges in America
- #178 of 1,589: Most Diverse Colleges in America
- #21 of 219: Best Colleges for Information Technology in America
- #101 of 1,572: Best Value Colleges in America
- #101 of 676: Top Public Universities in America
|Type of university||Public research|
|Location||Newark, New Jersey|
|Campus Accommodation Capacity||2,000 students|
|Former name||Newark College of Engineering and Newark Technical School|
|Number of programs||126|
|Mode of programs||Full time/Part-time|
|Intake session||Fall and Spring semester|
|Financial aid||Scholarship and loans|
New Jersey Institute of Technology Campus
New Jersey Institute of Technology campus is located in Newark, New Jersey. The city is popularly known for its amazing food, professional sports and performance spaces. Here are the key features of the campus of the institution:
- The campus is 20 minutes away from the world’s largest city, New York.
- NJIT campus has doubled its campus size in the past decade to include new residence halls
- The university has spent 110 million USD for wellness and event center
- The university library, the Robert W. Van Houten library provides an excellent collection of books, group study rooms, computer labs and wifi throughout the campus.
- The campus provides facilities such as research facilities, technology-filled classrooms and libraries.
- Apart from offering world-class education, the institute is popularly known for allowing its students to participate in more than 130 student clubs and organizations and community service projects.
New Jersey Institute of Technology On-Campus Residence
- New Jersey Institute of Technology offers 5 co-ed residence halls and Greek village that accommodates 2000+ students.
- First-year students live in Redwood Halls, Cyprus and Honors while upper-class students have designated rooms in every building.
- The rooms are fully furnished with beds, closet, chair, desk, internet connection and cable connection. A streaming service known as the Residence Hall Cinema is also available.
- The common areas in residence halls are equipped with facilities including the study area, kitchen, lounges, snack and soda machine and laundry room.
- Residence halls have electronic card access and a 24-hour desk attendant to provide security to residents.
Here’s a list of the semesterwise price rates of the on-campus rooms offered by the university:
|Room Type||Price Range (USD)|
|Redwood double room||4350|
Cypress double room with private bath, Honors double room, Laurel double room, Oak double room
|Cypress single room, both shared bath and private bath, Honours double room with private bath, Laurel-C single room with shared bath, Laurel single room with shared bath, Redwood single room and oak single room with shared bath||4700-5300|
|Laurel single room with private bath, Honors single room with shared bath and private bath,||5300-6000|
|Greek villages rented units||4670|
|Greek villages owned units||4555|
New Jersey Institute of Technology Courses
- New Jersey Institute of Technology Programs are offered in more than 126 disciplines across six specialized schools.
- The institute offers options to double major, design an interdisciplinary major, accelerated bachelor’s or master’s degrees or cross-register with schools like Rutgers University in Newark.
- The most popular programs among international students at NJIT are electrical engineering, information science and computer information systems.
- The university also offers pathway programs to international students pursuing their undergraduate degree to strengthen their language skills. Applicants who do not meet the language proficiency requirements must enroll for the pathway programs.
- NJIT also offers MS and MBA programs to students which allows them to pursue a second degree on completion of six and twelve credits respectively from the first program.
- The pathway program is available in January, May and September intake.
Some of the popular programs offered by the university along with their annual fee are tabulated below:
|Executive MBA (Full course)||67,000|
|Bachelors in Business & Information Systems||30,160|
|Bachelor in Chemical Engineering||30,160|
|Bachelor in Communication in Media||30,160|
|Bachelor in Computer Engineering||30,160|
New Jersey Institute of Technology Application Process
New Jersey Institute of Technology has a moderately selective admission procedure. The Institute had an acceptance rate of 73% in the fall of 2020. The institute accepts applications for the Fall and Spring semester. The institute offers rolling admissions but there are final deadlines for submission of applications. Successful applicants will be notified within 2-3 weeks from the deadline.
How to Apply?
Interested applicants can submit applications for admission to the New Jersey Institute of Technology online. The process and requirements have been discussed below:
Application Fee: UG: 75 USD; PG: 75 USD
Application Deadline: The deadlines for submission of applications are given in the table below:
|Semester||UG application deadline||PG application deadline|
|Fall||March 1||May 1|
|Spring||October 1||November 1|
Admission Requirements: The following documents must be submitted at the time of admission:
- Official high school/ college transcripts
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 on 4.0 or equivalent
- SAT/ACT score (not mandatory for fall semester)
- Proof of English language proficiency: Instead of TOEFL/IELTS test score, Duolingo English Test Score can be submitted
- Placement test in English Composition must be taken after arriving at the institute.
- Photocopy of visa and passport along with an application for the Form I-20
- Applicants applying for the architecture and design programs are required to submit a portfolio of their work in the related field
- Letter of recommendation
- Personal Essay
- Statement of Purpose
- GMAT or GRE score for graduate programs (not mandatory for fall semester)
The minimum requirements for English language proficiency test scores required for admission are tabulated below:
New Jersey Institute of Technology Cost of Attendance
The cost of attendance is an average cost incurred by the student to attend one academic year. For each academic year, the cost of attendance for both undergraduate and graduate programs is set by the Student Financial Aid Service depending on the program, housing and residency selection and year in school.
The cost of attendance for New Jersey Institute of Technology is tabulated below:
|Expenditure Item||Undergraduate (USD)||Graduate (USD)|
|Books and Supplies||2,900||1,400 (1,600 USD for non-architecture)|
|Room and Board (living on-campus)||12,995||12,995|
|Additional Indirect Cost (living on-campus)||4,100||4,100|
|Room and Board (living off-campus)||14,600||14,600|
|Additional Indirect Cost (living off-campus)||6,300||6,300|
New Jersey Institute of Technology Scholarships/Financial Aid
Financial aid to international students is being offered in the form of scholarships, private loans, non-NJIT Academic Excellence award and Albert Dorman Honors College Scholarship. Nearly 80% of New Jersey Institute of Technology undergraduates and 92% first time freshmen and transfer students receive financial aid, grants and scholarships.
Although international students are not eligible for federal aid, they are still entitled to apply for education loans and international scholarships. The Non-NJ Academic Excellence Award covers the full tuition expenses for international freshmen applicants based on academic achievements. It is renewable for up to 8 semesters if the applicant maintains 3.0 GPA (equivalent to 83-86% in India) and Satisfactory Academic Progress.
- The Albert Dorman Honors College scholarship ranges from 2500 USD (equivalent to 1,85,000 INR) to full tuition and accommodation costs is meant for students who have been accepted to the Honors college.
- International students are eligible for private loans from external agencies or government institutions if they have a U.S. citizen or permanent resident as co-signer for the loan.
New Jersey Institute of Technology Alumni Network
New Jersey Institute of Technology has an alumni network of 70,000+ graduates across the globe that keeps the graduates and professors connected. Alumni members are entitled to lifelong benefits that include access to alumni events, career services, library access, insurance discounts, benefits on purchase from institute bookstore, university club membership, access to athletic center, discounts on continuing education and more.
Notable alumni of the institute include:
- Joel Bloom – President of New Jersey Institute of Technology
- Ellen M. Pawlikowski – 4-star general of the U.S. Air Force
- Paul Sarlo – New Jersey State Senate
- Chico Borja – soccer player
- Wally Schirra – American naval aviator
New Jersey Institute of Technology Placements
- The university has a career development center to cater to the needs of its students for searching career and higher study options.
- Around 626 employers visit the campus of the university with opportunities for its students.
- Alumni, Staff, Civic bodies, corporates, and all other potential employers are tapped by the university that helps students to find suitable jobs.
- University subscribes to the job portal ’Handshake’ to provide a virtual world platform where both employers and employees can meet and match their requirements.
- The university conducts career fairs, workshops, on-campus sessions, on-campus interviewing arrangements with many other resources made available for facilitating the students to get jobs and internships.
- According to Payscale, the average salary of New Jersey Institute of Technology graduates is 81,592 USD.
The average salaries of New Jersey Institute of Technology graduates by job designation are tabulated below:
|Designation||Average Salary Per Annum (USD)|
|Project Manager, (Unspecified Type / General)||84,000|
New Jersey Institute of Technology graduates are successfully placed after completing the requirements of their program through career development services. Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, the Career Development Services is operating virtually to assist undergraduate and graduate students with career planning. Services including interviews, workshops, career counseling and company information centers are being conducted virtually. Students are required to book their appointments with a career advisor via handshake.
Ques. Does the New Jersey Institute of Technology have good research output?
Ans. The institution has an R1 research institution ranking from Carnegie Classification®, spends 160M- USD on research annually, and has 105+ research centers and specialized laboratories.
Ques. What are the popular majors offered by the New Jersey Institute of Technology?
Ans. The most popular majors at the New Jersey Institute of Technology include: Engineering; Computer and Information Sciences, Engineering Technologies; Business, Management, Marketing, and Architecture.
Ques. What is the graduation rate of New Jersey Institute of Technology ?
Ans. The university has a graduation rate of 67%.
Ques. What is the average tuition cost at the New Jersey Institute of Technology?
Ans. The average tuition cost at the New Jersey Institute of Technology is around 30,160 USD.
Ques. Does the New Jersey Institute of Technology assist its students with placements?
Ans. The university conducts career fairs, workshops, on-campus sessions, on-campus interviewing arrangements with many other resources made available for facilitating the students to get jobs and internships. Alumni, Staff, Civic bodies, corporates, and all other potential employers are tapped by the university that helps students to find suitable jobs.
Ques. Is NJIT expensive?
Ans. The institution is a value for money and provides world-class education though it is expensive compared to other institutions in the area.
Ques. What is the average salary of New Jersey Institute of Technology graduates?
Ans. According to Payscale, the average salary of New Jersey Institute of Technology graduates is 81,592 USD.
Ques. What are the fields of study at the New Jersey Institute of Technology?
Ans. The university offers 126-degree programs through 5 colleges and one school namely Albert Dorman Honors College, College of Architecture and Design, College of Computing, College of Science and Liberal Arts, Newark College of Engineering, and School of Management.
FIND A PROGRAM
COLLEGE STUDENT REVIEWS
Application Portal : https://www.njit.edu/admissions/apply-online.php
Early Action Deadlines
Regular Decision Deadlines
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
Times Higher Education
RANKED #501 - #600
RANKED #201 - #250
RANKED #176 - #200
RANKED #201 - #250
RANKED #601 - #800
QS World University
RANKED #751 - #800
After search day and night on the internet, I found that New Jersey Institute of Technology is the best university for a science program as it has earned a solid reputation as one of the nation’s preeminent STEM-based educational and research institutions, thus motivating me. After securing a GPA of 7, I had to submit a common application.
Course Curriculum :
Biostatistics gave me the opportunity to fuse my interest in biology with my aptitude for statistics and computing. Students are trained in the application of statistical methods to the area of health sciences.
I have always had a passion for mathematics and had keen interest in knowing more about computer. I have chosen NJIT because of its flexible course structure and variety of courses in the core computer science field as well as advanced course in the field of machine learning and data science. Also I had relatives living in New Jersey so that prompted me to choose this college. Saved money on rent. NJIT is in the list of top 50 value for money colleges in America. My second preference was CSU LB.
Course Curriculum :
I joined NJIT in SPRING 2021. This is my first semester. The courses I have picked are Database Management System , Data Mining and Internet and Higher Layer Protocol. Due to pandemic all the courses are online. However the curriculum of each course in updated. The projects in each course expects us to fabricate something that will be helpful in industry.. For instance the data mining course requires me to build a project in Data Science field which i feel is very much helpful. The professors are very knowledgeable and they push us to solve problems by ourselves.
I chose New Jersey Institute of Technology for my Master's degree because I had talked to some of the professors there and I was interested in their research. I accepted the offer of admission also because it was located at a place with connections to a lot of industries and companies in my field with which I can get exposure to different work environments and cultures.
Course Curriculum :
The course curriculum was really well planned and also enough freedom is given to take courses outside the curriculum. The syllabus is up to date with new technologies and it makes sense because of the practical applications. We also had a chance to take up capstone project which is working with an industry to solve a problem.
You can complete Master's in 3 semesters and it's nearby New York great place to stay and explore. Lots of start up companies are there around campus.
Course Curriculum :
They update the courses regularly and it's one of the best for IS and CS courses and there's a Makerspace Lab you can work inter disciplinary innovation.
I came to know about this institute through my relatives who are living in the USA. I paid an application fee of $75 and got an offer letter within 2 weeks. My high school grades were also considered. Since the entire application process was online I did not face any difficulty while applying.
Course Curriculum :
I have been exposed to such a brilliantly designed curriculum that it helps to design and implement software and systems for every domain of our daily lives, such as finance, pharmaceutical, technology, and management fields. Projects are allocated to each and every student for better learning.
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
- Super Market
- Train Station
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary