University of South Florida: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
The University of South Florida is a Public Institution and was established in the year 1956. It is a high-impact, global research university located in the vibrant Tampa Bay region, in Florida. The university has 3 campuses viz. in Tampa, St. Petersburg, and Sarasota-Manatee. The total number of students from all campuses totals up to 50,000. Among these, there are 37,350 undergraduate students, and 11,358 students are enrolled in postgraduate programs. 42% of the students are international students coming from African, Indian, Hispanic, Hawaiian, and other backgrounds. The University of South Florida at Tampa is an American metropolitan public research university. It is the fourth-largest university in Florida. It’s a high impact, a research-driven institute dedicated to the overall success of students.
In the times when education at US universities probably costs a bomb, these institutions have the lowest out-of-state tuition fees according to a report by GoBankingRates. This effectively makes USF the affordable college for all the international aspirants. The University is home to 14 colleges and offers up to 180 programs in a wide range of subjects such as computer science, business, accounting, sciences, arts, architecture, engineering, communication, environment, marketing economics, social sciences, mathematics, law, management, finance, advertising, anthropology, and nursing. The university’s graduate programs are one of the best programs in the world. According to US News and World Reports, eight programs ranked in the top 50 in the year 2018. The student-faculty ratio at the university is 21:1, with an average class size of 33, and the student-satisfaction rate is 91%.
USF Tampa is selective in its admission procedures and accepts only around 43% of the students who apply to the school. The university offers undergraduate, graduate, specialist, and doctoral degree programs to over 50,000 students.
University of South Florida Ranking
The University of South Florida has been conferred the following rankings in the year 2020 by various ranking agencies:
- QS Global World Ranking 2020: #601-650
- THE Rankings:
- World University Rankings 2020: #201–250
- Impact Ranking 2020: #101–200
- US Rankings 2020: #276
- Niche.com 2020 Rankings:
- #17 in Best Colleges for Public Health in America
- #24 in Best Colleges for Criminal Justice in America
- #26 in Best Colleges for Information Technology in America
- It has ranked #71 in Best Value Schools
- It is ranked #68 in Most Innovative Schools
- It has been ranked #17 in Top Performers on Social Mobility
- It is ranked #46 in Top Public Schools
|Freshman Retention Rate (2017-2018)||91%|
|Mode of Program||Full time; Part time; online|
|Campus housing facility||64.5%|
|The annual cost of Attendance||USD 34,260 – Undergraduate
USD 33,722 – Graduate
University of South Florida Campus
- The Tampa campus is classified as Doctoral Universities for its Highest Research Activity rankings 2019-2020 (US News).
- The campus facilities offered by the University of South Florida include an official campus bookstore, parking and transportation services for commuters, USF post office, USF print center, childcare services, dining facilities (in sidewalk cafes and dining halls), health services including counseling services and much more.
- USF has more than 600 student organizations including international societies, academic groups and honor societies. The Marshall Student Centre is the heart of student activities at the institute. It houses the student government, student activities departments, gaming lounges, eateries etc.
- 100s of events are organized on campus throughout the year. The events are based on various themes such as art and music, athletics, cultural, fundraisers, social and spiritual. The events often provide free food, free gifts and other perks.
- Around 47% of the undergraduate students attending UR are White, while the other 53% is made up of Asians, African /Americans, Hispanics and students from other ethnicities.
- The city of Tampa is the 3rd largest in Florida with a population of around 3, 80,000. The city has pleasant weather all year round and filled with places of historical interest, restaurants etc.
University of South Florida Residence
- USF Tampa offers 34 residence halls that accommodate over 5,500 students. First-year students are normally required to reside on campus barring a few exceptional cases.
- Students looking for housing options at Tampa are required to complete an application form, explore all the available residence hall options at the campus, and select a favorable room.
- Types of accommodation include dorm-style housing, suite-style housing, apartment-style housing. Students may also live in the Greek village.
- The residence halls are furnished with a twin XL size bed, desk and chair, bookcase, dresser, closet and waste-basket for each student. Students are allowed to bring a microwave of 1,000W or less and a mini-fridge of 4.5 c.f.
- The ground floors of the residence halls contain a kitchen, TV lounge, activity rooms, media lounge, laundry etc. Ethernet connections are provided in each room along with Wi-Fi access throughout the building.
- Students with Disability Services Office provides assistance to students with disabilities if they submit an online application for accommodation along with suitable medical documentation.
- Alternatively, students may look for off-campus accommodation options in the USA equipped with similar facilities at cheaper rates.
University of South Florida Programs
- USF offers 180 academic programs in the 14 colleges of the university. BA, BS, MA, MS, Ph.D. degrees are offered. Certificate programs are also offered.
- Some of the popularly pursued majors pursued at USF are Health Professions, Business and Marketing Programs and Biomedical Sciences.
- The university offers several pathway programs such as the International One Year Program, the Graduate Pathway Programs etc. 8 undergraduate pathway programs and 38 graduate pathway programs are offered.
- The MUMA College of Business at USF offers 2 variants of the MBA degree, executive MBA and a regular MBA program (offered part-time). MS degrees are offered in engineering disciplines, biomedical fields etc.
Top Program in the University of South Florida
University of South Florida Application Process
Students willing to take admission at the University of South Florida should know the following points:
- Application Portal: Online
- Application Fee: 30 USD
- Application Deadline: UG Level: April 17; Graduate Level: June 1 (Fall Semester )
- Student Class Profile (Tampa Campus):
- Total Enrolment: 48,708; Undergraduate Enrolment: 37,350; Graduate Enrolment: 11,358
- Percentage of Part-Time Students: 23%; Percentage of Full Time Students: 77%
- Percentage of Male Students: 45%; Percentage of Female Students: 55%
- Average SAT Scores: 1260 (Math: 630; Reading Writing: 630)
- Average GPA of entering students (undergraduate level): 3.97
- Documents Required:
- Overall Graduation Rate: 73% ; Retention Rate: 91% (Full Time Undergraduate Students)
University of South Florida Cost of Attendance
The estimated cost for international students is tabulated below:
|Type of Expense||Cost for undergraduate students (USD)||Cost for Graduate students (USD)|
|Tuition & Other Fees||17,324||15,864|
|Housing and Meals (for on-campus students)||11,836||12,858|
|Books and Supplies||1,100||900|
Note: International students are required to have health insurance which is an additional cost of USD 2,403.
University of South Florida Financial Aid for International Students
- International freshman and transfer students at USF are eligible for merit-based scholarships. The deadline to apply for these scholarships is February 15, 2021. All required application materials must be submitted to the USF Office of Admissions by the May 1, 2021 completion deadline.
- Scholarships are only available for students starting in the Fall Semester.
- Students can only accept the scholarship with the highest award and cannot accept multiple awards. Academic requirements for these awards include high GPA score and high scores in the SAT/ACT exams.
The scholarships offered to freshmen are renewable up to a period of 4 years.
All Green & Gold awards are credited in the form of a partial out-of-state tuition waiver; exact award amounts vary based on the number of credits in which a student enrolls each term.
|USF Green & Gold Presidential Award||$48,000
(Up to $12,000 per year)
|3.90+ GPA and
1340+ SAT (Evidence-Based Reading and Writing & Math only) or
|USF Green & Gold Directors Award||$36,000
(Up to $9,000 per year)
|3.70+ GPA and
1280+ SAT (Evidence-Based Reading and Writing & Math only) or
|USF Green & Gold Scholars Award||$24,000
(Up to $6,000 per year)
|3.50+ GPA and
1210+ SAT (Evidence-Based Reading and Writing & Math only) or
|USF International Student Scholarship||$4,000
(Up to $1,000 per year)
|3.30+ GPA and
1180+ SAT (Evidence-Based Reading and Writing & Math only) or
Apart from these, students may look forward to outside scholarships offered to international students in the USA based on a variety of eligibility criteria.
Other Sources of Funding
Applying for scholarships to study in the US can be overwhelming due to their extensive application filing process. Here’s a brief list of research scholarship opportunities from private organizations both within the U.S. and India.
- American University Emerging global leader Scholarship
- United World Colleges International Youth Scholarships.
- Civil Society Leadership Award
- The Indian Trust Fellowship
- Stanford Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowships for Indian Students
- Fulbright-Nehru Research Fellowship
- Inlaks Scholarship
University of South Florida Alumni
- Alumni members of the University of South Florida have access to Global Career Services, Financial and Investment Services, an invitation to networking events and reunions etc.
- Alumni members of USF are John Chiang (politician), Anthony Henry (footballer), Mellissa Howard (comedian)
University of South Florida Placement
The University of South Florida has an employment rate of 90% and also has various placement assistance programs and services. These services and programs help the students get hands-on work experience, training, and skill development. These are called My Plan programs, or My Pathway.
The various companies and organizations recruiting graduates from the University of South Florida:
- Ernst & Young
- Capital One
- Goldman Sachs
- JP Morgan
Average salary given to graduates:
|Course||Average Salary is given (in USD)|
|Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering||66,800|
Here are some other recent placements given to students of M.A. Economics program:
|Year||Employment in Industry and Government|
|2020||Business Intelligence Analyst; Healthcare IQ|
|2020||Financial Analyst; Sun Point Home Loans|
|2020||Financial Business Analyst; Sapatla Software|
- USF has many career service programs in place including the My Plan + My Pathways program which provides personalized assistance to students to make informed career choices.
- The university has an employment rate of about 91%, two years after graduation.
- The median salary earned is 43,500 USD/year about 6 years after graduating from college
Ques. Where does the University of South Florida rank among colleges?
Ans. University of South Florida ranks 103rd in National Universities in the U.S. News and World Report 2021.
Ques. Is it hard to get into the University of South Florida?
Ans. University of South Florida has a selective admission process. In fall 2019, it had an acceptance rate of 48% which indicates the stiff competition and difficulty of the process.
Ques. What GPA is required to get into University of South Florida?
Ans. Students admitted to the University of South Florida have an average high school GPA of 4.18.
Ques. What is the application fee of University of South Florida?
Ans. University of South Florida charges 30 USD as a non-refundable application fee.
Ques. What is the average tuition fee for international students?
Ans. The tuition fee for undergraduate courses offered at the University of South Florida is 17,324 USD and for graduate programs is 15,864 USD.
Ques. What is the retention rate of University of South Florida?
Ans. University of South Florida has a retention rate of 90% which indicates student satisfaction.
Ques. What is the graduation rate of University of South Florida?
Ans. University of South Florida has an overall 6-year graduation rate of 75%.
Ques. Does University of South Florida offer scholarships to international students?
Ans. Yes. University of South Florida offers merit-based scholarships to international students with a high school GPA above 3.3.
Ques. What is the accommodation capacity of University of South Florida?
Ans. University of South Florida can accommodate up to 5,500 students in its traditional style accommodation, apartment and suite-style accommodation.
Ques. Is it possible to study as a part-time student at the University of South Florida?
Ans. The University of South Florida offers courses in the evening for a variety of majors, all majors require at least one semester of daytime commitments while some majors require more.
FIND A PROGRAM
Application Portal : https://secure.vzcollegeapp.com/usf/
Early Action Deadlines
Regular Decision Deadlines
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
Times Higher Education
RANKED #201 - #250
RANKED #201 - #250
RANKED #301 - #400
RANKED #201 - #250
RANKED #401 - #500
View More >>
QS World University
RANKED #581 - #590
I found about this college through my friend who also studies there. The college had offered great opportunities. Their academic program was very good. The admission form was filled by me through their official website. I had also paid an application fee of $30.
Course Curriculum :
This was a well-established program. It was concentrated on sports and entertainment management but it had also provided me the basic knowledge of business management. It had consisted of on-the-job work in the sport and entertainment industry. I had developed professionally and personally.
I had my relatives there who had suggested this college to me for pursuing my MBA. I liked all the opportunities offered by the college. The admission procedure was fully online. I had filled the online application form through its official website. I had also paid an application fee of $30.
Course Curriculum :
The course was very balanced and fair. I had enjoyed all the classes there. This program helped me develop analytical skills and creative abilities. I had also benefitted through the team collaboration program that helped me to enhance my leadership skills in real-world situations. There were opportunities for case competitions.
I chose this mainly because of the suggestion from one of my senior who was also a student of this college. Apart from that, I checked a lot of other websites and reviews of the college and finally came to the conclusion that it is suitable for me. I applied to the college online for an application fee of $50
Course Curriculum :
The good thing about the course is that it has a lot of focus on innovation and creativity, unlike most other MBA courses. The course requires completing a project in the semester based on the theories covered. This makes a lot more interesting as well.
My sister had graduated from this university, so I already knew pretty much everything about it and I did some research about the MBA program and applied. Even though I had been accepted by a few other schools, I selected this university mainly because of how affordable the MBA program was. I applied online with an application fee of $30.
Course Curriculum :
As far as I know, the curriculum was satisfactory with the foundation courses covering all core areas. I did feel the electives and concentrations could have a bit more variety but they offered all of the major ones, so it was mostly alright. I had a tad bit difficulty in selecting my electives but my professors were kind enough to guide me through.
After my graduation, I was surfing the web and was searching for colleges that provide masters in data analytics. After searching and analyzing a lot I was amazed by the reviews and ratings of this college. I applied through the online application process which cost me $30.
Course Curriculum :
This course provided me the in-depth knowledge required by the analysts. Also, I feel my course curriculum is not putting any pressure on us. All the semesters are designed in such a way that they also provide the practical application of each and every subject.
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary