Worcester Polytechnic Institute: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Worcester Polytechnic Institute is a well known private research university in Massachusetts. Founded in the year 1865 WPI is one of the first universities to offer Engineering and Technology in the United States. During present-day, it's known for its project-based learning(PBL) model and its research facilities.
Worcester Polytechnic Institute offers admissions in bachelors, masters and doctoral levels courses. WPI offers total UG enrollments of 4,668 with a 4- year graduation rate of over 82%. Its sole campus is widespread across 95 acres and is easily accessible from the city of Massachusetts. WIP stands out for its Scientific Education among the 10 colleges in Worcester and also has a healthy 13: 1 student to faculty ratio.
|Type of University||Private|
|Year of Establishment||1865|
Worcester Polytechnic Institute Rankings
- Ranked US rankings 2020 -119th by Times higher education.
- The World university rankings is 601-800th in 2020 and 501- 600 in 2019 by Times higher education.
- The World Ranking is 601-650 by QS Global World Ranking.
- Ranked 64 in national universities by US News and world report.
- Ranked 56 in best undergraduate teaching by US News and world report.
- Ranked 70 among best value schools of the US by US News and world report.
Worcester Polytechnic Institute Campus
WPI campus in Worcester, Massachusetts is spread across 95 acres and in a hilly area. The strategic location of the campus makes it easily accessible and also allows students to explore various places in the city.
- There are over 225 student clubs and organizations at WPI if none interests one can start his own based upon certain guidelines.
- WPI Athletics features various sporting cultures from soccer to basketball and even outdoor events like rowing.
- The campus also provides electric charging stations for up to16 vehicles without any fee.
- International student percentage is around 22%.
Residence Facilities at Worcester Polytechnic Institute
WPI has 10 Residential halls, 2 apartments and 4 on-campus houses.
- The Ellsworth and Fuller Apartments also accommodate students with disabilities via The Office of Disability Services.
- The dining locations are present around the campus, from Cafeteria-style to restaurant and also Food courts make sure that it fits in the style of everyone.
Programs offered at Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Worcester Polytechnic Institute offers programsin more than 50 areas of study through its School of Arts & Sciences, Business and Engineering there are over 50 programs offered.
- Major areas are Physical sciences, Computer Sciences, Life Sciences, Psychology and Business and Economics.
- WPI is known for its project-based learning (PBL) in all the fields which support research, which gives real-world exposure to students in learning days.
- WPI also offers online graduate programs; a few major areas are Biotechnology, Cybersecurity, Data Science, Power Systems Engineering and many more.
International students who want to seek admissions at Worcester Polytechnic Institute can follow the below-mentioned application process:
- Students can apply via theonline portalfor Undergraduate and Graduate programs.
- Application fee for undergraduate is 65 USD and for Graduate is 70 USD.
- The English Language scores are as below:
- TOEFLscore of 90 with sub-scores not below 20.
- IELTS overall band of 7.0.
- PTE ( Pearson’s Test of English).
- The acceptance rate is around 40% over the course of 2 years of admissions.
- Other documents requested for any international application are:
- WPI International Certification of Finances, if opting out of financial aid.
- CSS profile application.
- Financial statement supporting the costs of tuition fee, if not eligible for financial aid.
Cost of Attendance
The full-time Undergraduate tuition fee is around USD 52,520 whilst of part-time id USD 1,433 per credit. The graduate tuition fee is also given as per credit basis which is USD 1,566 and a variable student organization fee of up to USD 60 annually.
|Program type||Per year fee|
|Graduate||USD 1,566 (per credit)|
Housing expenses* are tabulated below:
|Type of residence||Annual cost|
|Double, triple, quad- residence hall||USD 8,736|
|Single- residence hall||USD 9,242|
|Triple – Apartment||USD 8,856|
|Double –Apartment||USD 9,334|
|Single- Apartment||USD 9,850|
*These expenses do not include costs like laundry and meals.
Scholarships & Financial Aid
The financial assistance is only provided for international students who are in their first year, but not transfer students. Financial assistance is provided in the forms ofscholarships for international students to study in the USA.
- WPI asks for a minimum of USD 22,000 per year contribution from a family member who covers the living and travel expenses, to be eligible for financial aid.
- Merit-based Academic Scholarship is provided for first-year applicants based on either their high school scores or English proficiency test scores.
- International need-based scholarship awards an amount ranging from USD 5,000- USD 25,000 for a limited number of applicants. This award is also renewed yearly when academic performance is maintained.
- WPI also allows monthly tuition fee payment without any interest incurred on the amount.
WPI has over 35,000 alumni across the US and 100 more countries around the globe. Some of the few notable alumni are:
- Dean Kamen- Businessperson
- Robert H. Goddard- physicist, professor.
- Harold Stephen black- Electrical Engineer
- Todd akin- politician
- J.Geils -Singer
WPI offers a cooperative education program in which students earn an amount of around USD 21,000- USD 26,000. During summer WPI offers a Summer Internship Program which lets students gain work experience.
FIND A PROGRAM
Application Portal : https://www.wpi.edu/admissions/undergraduate/apply/how-to
Early Action Deadlines
Regular Decision Deadlines
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
Times Higher Education
RANKED #601 - #800
RANKED #401 - #500
RANKED #301 - #400
RANKED #401 - #500
RANKED #176 - #200
View More >>
QS World University
RANKED #701 - #750
Studying in the US has always been a dream for me and this came true when I decided to make a move. I came to know about this college through one of the career fair event held in my previous college from where i completed my graduation. Since I was an average student and also keeping in mind the expenses of studying abroad, this college suited best for me. The admission process is done online and I paid $70 for the application fee. With each application being reviewed individually by the academic department, it took around four to six weeks for my application to get accepted.
Course Curriculum :
We had to work really hard, with a lot of research and practical work taking place every now and then. For me to be able to complete this course took a lot of hard work and dedication, which was all worth it in the end as it build a solid foundation in chemical engineering.
Tackling authentic problems that matter to others helps students develop perseverance, empathy, and self-efficacy while also gaining valuable skills that help them succeed in their careers and lives. My GPA was 7.3, and I was required to submit a common application. Also, the application fee was $70.
Course Curriculum :
WPI’s MS in Applied Mathematics will prepare you to use mathematics to solve complex problems in a wide variety of fields. You will gain expertise in the mathematical applications most in demand today as you apply your knowledge to tackle challenges in science, engineering, business, computer science, and industry.
WPI’s STEM curriculum was radically reengineered to provide students with hands-on learning experiences through project-based education. Seven-week terms create space for team-based, real-world experiences, and a unique grading system with a focus on teamwork and experimentation allows for experiential learning rooted in faculty guidance. After securing a GPA of 6.6, I had applied through an online application form and also paid an application fee of $70.
Course Curriculum :
Informed business decisions rely on significant and current data to help executives make decisions. A business analytics master's degree gives you the skills and training you need to make these choices. Because data is prolific and continual, business analytics professionals who know how to interpret and use that data are in high demand.
Tackling authentic problems that matter to others helps students develop perseverance, empathy, and self-efficacy while also gaining valuable skills that help them succeed in their careers and lives. After securing a GPA of 7.3, I had applied through an online application form and also submitted a $70 application fee.
Course Curriculum :
At WPI, the BS in Economic Science program approaches the study of economics through the use of innovative computational tools. My university believes students learn by doing, so the program’s strict adherence to rigorous methodological standards for economic experimentation and problem solving will give you valuable and practical skills for addressing real-world challenges.
FBS provides us with hands-on learning experiences through project-based education. Seven-week terms create space for team-based, real-world experiences, and a unique grading system with a focus on teamwork and experimentation allows for experiential learning rooted in faculty guidance. My GPA was around 6. I was required to submit a common application form. The application fee was $70.
Course Curriculum :
The Business Analytics MS is a 33-credit-hours program including applied analytics courses that address business problems and include a realistic capstone project. Courses in this professional MS in Business Analytics degree program do not provide options related to a research degree
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary