Cox School of Business: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Established in 1920, Cox School of Business is an American business school located in Dallas, Texas. It is established as a part of Southern Methodist University and is named after Edwin L. Cox. Cox School of Business houses over 900 undergraduate and graduate students. The School offers a plethora of undergraduate and postgraduate programs in the field of business such BBA, MS in Accounting, Finance and Business Analytics, two-year and one-year MBA, Executive MBA, etc.
Cox offers excellent placement rates with high starting salaries for all its undergraduate and graduate programs. With the generous support of corporate and private donations, every year around 75% of the students receive financial aid with an average package of 48,000 USD. It is among the top private business schools in the U.S. Bloomberg Businessweek has regarded the executive MBA program as no. 3 in the world while professional MBA programs have been ranked no. 7 in the U.S. Cox’s MBA program is accredited by AACSB.
Cox School of Business Ranking
Cox School of Business has been ranked as follows:
- 41st in Best Business Schools and 55th in Part-time MBA program by the U.S. News and World Report 2021.
- The following programs of the school are ranked in the QS Top Universities World University Rankings 2021:
- #41 in Masters in Business Analytics
- #65 in Masters in Management
- #80 in Masters in Finance
|Parent Institution||Southern Methodist University|
|Mode of Program||Full-time/ Part-time/ Online|
|Financial Aid||Scholarships, loans, grant|
Cox School of Business Campus
- Located five miles north of downtown Dallas, the Cox School of Business campus covers 234 acres. The school also offers programs at another campus in Plano.
- Dallas is the home of several Fortune 500 companies and startups, fastest growing city in the world and the top 30 most exciting food cities in the U.S.
- Facilities on the school campus include the 67,000 square foot James M. Collins Executive Centre which offers Executive MBA and Executive Education programs, state of the art technology, world class administrative buildings, classrooms, and event spaces for over 1,000 BBA and MBA students.
- The academic centers include Albert W. Niemi Center for Economic Growth and Leadership Development, Brierley Institute for Customer Engagement, Edwin L. Cox Business Leadership Center, Career Management Center, Caruth Institute for Entrepreneurship, Don Jackson Center for Financial Studies, and EnCap Investments & LCM Group Alternative Asset Management Centre.
- There are 200 student organizations, sororities and fraternities on campus that cater to the interests of all students and nourish an active social life.
Cox School of Business Residence
- Accommodation options for Cox students are available at 11 residential commons namely:
- Armstrong Commons
- Boaz Commons
- Cockrell McIntosh Commons
- Crum Commons
- Kathy Crow Commons
- Loyd Commons
- Mary Hay/Peyton/ Shuttles Commons
- McElvaney Commons
- Morrison-McGinnis Commons
- Virginia Snider Commons
- Ware Commons
- Residential facilities include wired or wireless internet, TV lounge, study rooms and spaces, recreation center, kitchen, game tables, bike storage space, 24/7 staff etc.
- There are single and double occupancy room options that are well furnished with a desk, chair, bed, dresser, closet, and other essentials.
Cox School of Business Courses
- Cox School of Business has a myriad of undergraduate and postgraduate programs.
- The School has seven academic departments, i.e. Accounting, Finance, Information Technology and Operations Management, Management and Organisations, Marketing, Real Estate Insurance, Business Law, and Strategy and Entrepreneurship.
- The School offers one undergraduate degree, i.e. Bachelors in Business Administration and Masters of Science degree with majors in accounting, business analytics, finance, management, health promotion management, sport management.
- Different types of MBA offered by the school are full-time two year MBA, one year MBA, professional MBA, online MBA, and executive MBA.
- Some of the joint degrees offered are JD/MBA, MA/MBA and MS Engineering/MBA.
- Non-degree certificate courses are advanced marketing certificate, graduate business analytics certificate, graduate finance certificate, and executive education certificate.
Cox School of Business Application Process
Cox School of Business invites applications from students all around the world during the Fall, Spring and Summer semesters. For admission to the graduate programs, students must submit GRE/ GMAT scores. For Fall 2021, SMU Cox is test optional due to the impact of COVID-19.
How to Apply?
International applicants should follow the below mentioned guidelines for admission to Cox School of Business:
Application Portal: Cox Application
Application Fee: No application fee
Admission Requirements: Transcripts from last attended institutions
- High school/ undergraduate degree transcripts
- GRE/GMAT scores
- Professional CV/ Resume
- Two professional references
English Language Proficiency Requirements
International students whose native language is not English must submit proof of English language proficiency. The minimum score requirements are:
Cox School of Business Cost of Attendance
- The cost of attendance for different courses at Cox School of Business is described in the table below:
|Expenses||BBA (in USD)||Two-year full-time MBA (in USD)||One year full-time MBA (in USD)||MS in Finance (in USD)||MS in Management (in USD)||MS in Business Analytics (in USD)|
|Tuition and fees||51,598||46,975||72,570||52,724||41, 652||43,278|
|University and program fees||6,582||8,582||-||-||6,582||7,782|
|Student living expenses||17,110||17,700||17,700||17,700||17,700||17,700|
|Books and supplies||876||2,500||2,500||2,500||2,500||2,500|
|General student fees||6,582||-||-||-||-||6,582|
Cox School of Business Scholarships/Financial Aid
- Cox School of Business offers various types of financial assistance to students mostly in the form of scholarships and loans to study in the U.S.
- MBA scholarships are awarded to students only on merit basis. Students must be academically excellent to receive the scholarships. They are selected on the basis of academic achievements, GMAT scores, additional professional experience and leadership skills.
- The scholarships are offered for two years with respect to academic performance.
- Some of the scholarships include:
- Cox Distinguished MBA Scholars awarding eight full tuition scholarships per year to distinguished students.
- Forte Fellowship: All female candidates are automatically considered for the award.
- Diversity Scholars: Candidates who demonstrate support for diversity and involvement in their personal and professional communities are eligible for the scholarship.
- Indian Scholars: All students from India are automatically considered for the Indian Scholars Program.
- ROMBA Fellowship: Scholarships of 20,000 USD or more are awarded to students to support the LGBTQ community.
- ITOM and Marketing Scholars: Scholarships worth 10,000 USD are awarded to students with professional experience in operations, information technology, or business analytics.
Cox School of Business Alumni Network
- Cox School of Business alumni are present in 80+ countries all around the world.
- The Cox Alumni Association organizes reunions, career fairs, educational forums, discussion panels, award programs, etc.
- Some of the notable alumni members are:
- Gabriel Barbier Mueller - Founder and CEO, Harwood International
- Betsy Boze - CEO and Dean, Kent State University Stark Campus
- Gerald J. Ford - Dallas based billionaire
- Lamar Hunt - founder of the American football league and owner of Kansas city chiefs
- John Tyron - chairman and CEO, Tyson foods
Cox School of Business Placements
- The school offers a myriad of career counseling events like workshops for interviews, company information sessions, and other networking events.
- 100% of the full time MBA students participate in the internship opportunities and 93% of the BBA students intern for at least one year alongside their studies.
- The table given below summarizes the career outcomes of various undergraduate and postgraduate program graduates:
|Program||Employment Rate (in three months after graduation)||Average Salary (in USD)|
|Strategy & Entrepreneurship||95%||105,318|
|MS Business Analytics||80%||67,801|
According to PayScale reports, the average salary of a Cox School of Business graduate is 112,490 USD per annum. The popular recruiting companies include Trinity Industries Inc, AT&T, Ef Johnson, EY (Ernst & Young), International Business Machine (IBM), etc.
Find a Program
I got to know about the college when one of my cousins told me how his experience was with this college. Still, I applied for other colleges too but after surfing about it all I got to know was cox is the best. Secondly, this college had some pretty good infrastructures. So I without a doubt applied for the same with zero application fees.
Course Curriculum :
This has been a life-changing journey for me. I have gained plenty of knowledge, skills and learned life lessons as the college and its atmosphere is so friendly and everyone used to look so interested in the studies all because of the faculty with the curriculum getting updated regularly.
I opted for this college mainly because of the placement packages that the student get after completing the course. The college is also among one of the best business schools in the country, I applied to the college online for an application fee of $60.
Course Curriculum :
The course covers the basics of management initially and then moves on to higher concepts of administration and production. A lot of case studies are included in the syllabus as well. The course is pretty balanced that gives them time to explore their skills as well.
I got to know about Cox school of business through a college fair that I attended. I always wanted to pursue a master's in sports management from a university abroad and Cox School of Business was a perfect college for me. I had scored 98% in my bachelor's which made me more suitable for admission. The best part about the Cox School of Business is that there was no application fee charged during my online process.
Course Curriculum :
The course was designed keeping in mind our overall development and the relevant skills required by us to work in the corporate sector. The course balanced and ensured delivery of essential components like finance, marketing, strategy and management which acts as a launchpad to the highly competitive industry.
- Super Market
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary