Funding in Australia is an important aspect for international students as living in Australia is quite expensive. However, to their rescue, many scholarships, awards, fellowships and grants are available. Students from around the globe can avail them. International students are offered scholarships by the Department of Foreign Affairs in the form of Australia Awards, Australian Government Research Training Program, APEC Women in Research Fellowship, etc.
Apart from availing this funds, students can help themselves with work-study programs and manage their finances. As per the rules set by Australian Government, an international student can work for 20 per week after the commencement of their academic programs and earn a minimum of $15/per hour. Also, while on break, they can work full-time as well.
Scholarships in Australia for International Students
- For: Citizens from Asia, Pacific, Middle East and Africa
- Benefits: Full tuition fee, establishment allowance, OSHC, Return air travel, etc.
- Apply at: Online Application Scholarships Information System- oasis.dfat.gov.edu
Australian Government Research Training Program
- For: Domestic and International Students pursuing Masters or Research Program in Australia
- Benefits: RTP tuition fee payment for Higher Degree Research Student, RTP Stipend to pay for living expenses, RTP Allowances to pay ancillary costs of HDR students
- Apply at: www.education.gov.au/research-training-program
Australia APEC Women in Research Fellowship
- For: Citizens from Chile, People’s Republic of China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mexico, Papua New Guinea, Peru, the Philippines, Thailand or Vietnam.
- Benefits: Travel allowance of AUD 3,000 for Asian economies; AUD 4,500 for South American economies, Establishment allowance: AUD 2,000, Monthly stipend: AUD 3,000, Monthly family allowance AUD 1,200
- Apply at: Australian APEC Study Centre at RMIT University
Endeavor Postgraduate Scholarship Awards
- For: International students pursuing Masters or PhD courses in Australia
- Benefits: Tuition fee, travel allowance, establishment allowance, monthly stipend and health insurance
- Apply at: internationaleducation.gov.au
Financial Aid for Students from the USA
Federal Family Education Loan
Students coming for the USA are entitled to get Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) as many Australian universities participate in the US Federal Government loan program. There are three major categories, including Stafford Loans, PLUS Loans, and Consolidation Loans.
- PLUS Loans: for the parents of undergraduates.
- Grad PLUS loans: for graduate students.
- Consolidation Loans combine multiple loans into one loan.
To be eligible for a loan, students must fulfill the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in at least half-time in an eligible degree or certificate program at an eligible institution.
- Have a high school diploma
- Be a citizen, permanent resident or eligible non-citizen of the United States.
- Not be in default or owe a refund on any federal education grant or loan unless satisfactory arrangements have been made to repay the outstanding debt.
GI Bill Benefits
The Australian government provides benefits to the US students coming to their country for studies as per the GI Bill. The benefits are awarded to eligible US service members, veterans, guard members, reservists, and their dependents.
GI Bill Benefits include:
- Living allowances
- Allowances for books
- Ability to transfer unused educational benefits to spouses or children
Cost Covered in Loans
- Tuition Cost
- Room and board
- Books and Supplies
- Travel and Transportation
- Health Insurance
- Living Expenses
How to Get Scholarship in Australia?
Scholarships to study in Australia for international students can be availed through various sources. Not only can one get a scholarship on the basis of their academic performance but via other sources. Following are some of the ways to get a scholarship in Australia:
Become part of Community Life
Some scholarships are awarded for community participation as well. This includes community service or participation in community groups, clubs and sporting teams.
Students who are active in community work and show exemplary leadership skills can add recommendations on the application request form for scholarships.
Apply for ‘n’ number of Scholarships
Since plenty of scholarships are available for international students, apply for as many scholarships as you can. Begin with scholarships available in home country. Governments in home countries provide scholarships to candidates with higher capabilities in all spheres. Scholarships in Australia for international students are also available at government and university platforms upon presentation of exemplary performance in academics (athletics too).
Scholarships from International Organizations
Do not underestimate yourself and apply for the scholarships awarded by international organizations such as:
- The United Nations
- World Council of Churches
- Soros Foundation
- World Health Organization
Prepare before-hand to apply for these scholarships as these may require application from home country.
How are scholarships Awarded in Australia to International Students?
Scholarships to international students are awarded on the following basis:
- Excellent achievement
- Great academic potential
- Splendid Performance
- Extra-curricular activities
- Social work and awareness