Masters in Public Health in Canada: Cost, Eligibility, Admission Process, Scholarships & Job Opportunities
Masters in Public Health in Canada are opted by those who wish to work towards community health, public health awareness, and safety. It is of two types- course-based (MPH) and research-based (MScPH). The full-time course is for 20 months, and 4 years long (starting from the actual date of commencement) for part-timers. The cost of studying a Masters in Public Health in Canada is approximately 38,000 USD for one year.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the number of healthcare jobs will surge to 14% by 2028 globally. In Canada alone, there are 10,800 job openings for MPH professionals currently in 2019. Thus, this number will go up further by 5% in the upcoming years. This is the reason why more and more international students are opting for a Masters in Public Health in Canada.
Why pursue Masters in Public Health in Canada?
12 Canadian universities offer Masters in Public Health, tuition fee starting from 5,606 USD to 47,777 USD for one year. The average per hour earning for a postgraduate in Public Health in Canada is 32 USD, which is higher than the national average. The following section throws light upon other reasons for choosing MPH in Canada:
- There is a high demand for medical professionals with a Masters in Public Health degree in Canada and job vacancies beyond 10,752 according to Indeed Canada (job portal).
- Job growth of more than 50% can be expected once the professionals start working in their field of specialization.
- The job security and stability for Masters in Public Health postgraduates in Canadian agencies is similar to that of a government job.
- More than 7 major specializations are offered in Masters in Public Health in Canada, namely- Epidemiology, Gerontology, Food Safety, Global Health, etc.
- By pursuing a Masters in Public Health in Canada a professional can help in improving community health as well.
Cost of Pursuing Masters in Public Health in Canada
The cost of pursuing a Masters in Public Health in Canada is 37,760 USD. The cost is calculated taking an average tuition fee and including all the costs like one-time payments, monthly costs, and annual cost.
Other than the one-time fee payments, there are other factors that influence the cost. Some of these factors are:
|Factors Affecting the Overall Cost of Studying MPH in Canada|
|Tuition Fee||Housing Rent|
|Food & Beverage||Activity Fee|
|Local Travel||Laboratory Fee (if any)|
|Personal Expenses||Private Loans|
|Accommodation Location: Urban/Suburban||Utility Bills|
|Communication||Accommodation Type: On-Campus/Off-Campus|
Estimate of Expenses in Canada
Initial Expenses for Students Pursuing a Masters in Public Health
A few payments are made on or before or along with the admission application, which is one-time. The following is a list of those aspects of an admission application that come under this category:
|Expenses||Cost (in USD)|
|Pre-Departure to Canada|
|GRE Test Fee||205|
|University Application Fee||75|
|Visa Application Fee||235*|
|Official Financial Statement||10,000|
|Post-Arrival in Canada|
|Hotel Accommodation||200 - 800|
|Meals||45 (per day)|
*150 USD for a study permit, 85 USD for biometric.
Note: Some universities accept MCAT in lieu of GRE. The fee for appearing for MCAT is 315 USD and a minimum score required is 512.
Monthly Student Expenses in Canada
Payments made by international students are on a monthly basis for subsistence in Canada. Some of the commonly estimated range of various costs of living in Canada include:
|Expenses||Cost (in USD)|
|Off-campus Accommodation||600 - 905|
|Food & Beverage||151 - 230|
|Personal & Miscellaneous||4,000|
|Utilities||200 - 330|
|Internet & Mobile||130|
Annual Expenses for Students Pursuing MPH in Canada
The annual expenses for an international student pursuing a Masters in Public Health in Canada include the annual tuition fee. An average tuition fee for pursuing MPH in Canada for international students is 17,834 USD for one year. The following table shows the tuition fee for different universities in Canada offering MPH:
|University Name||City Name||Tuition Fee (per year cost)|
|University of Victoria||British Columbia||5,606 USD|
|University of Alberta||Edmonton||8,000 USD|
|Simon Fraser University||Burnaby||10,900 USD|
|University of Guelph||Ontario||12,000 USD|
|Brock University||Ontario||14,088 USD|
|Saskatchewan University||Saskatoon||15,450 USD|
|McGill University||Quebec||16,810 USD|
|Ryerson University||Ontario||23,077 USD|
|University of Toronto||Toronto||25,921 USD|
|Queen’s University||Ontario||37,378 USD|
|Western University||Ontario||44,777 USD|
* An inflationary increase can directly affect the tuition costs. An overall 4% increase in the tuition fee has been recorded for the 2019-2020 admission session.
Scholarships for International Students Pursuing Masters in Public Health in Canada
Various scholarships ranging from 900 USD to 17,000 USD per annum are offered to international students willing to pursue a full-time degree in Master of Public Health in Canada. The following section is a list of scholarships, awards and fellowships offered by Canadian universities:
- Professor Margaret Page Graduate Award in Nursing offered at Lakehead University to 1 graduate student in the first year of MPH in Canada. The amount offered is 453 USD per semester.
- The University of Victoria, British Columbia offers the following awards:
- Fellowships are offered to international graduate students at the university. An amount of 17,500 is awarded each year to selected students.
- University of Victoria Graduate Award of 10,000 per annum is awarded to graduate students.
- Special Graduate Entrance Scholarship (SGES) at Simon Fraser University is offered to those students who accept the admission offer for MPH/MSc/Ph.D. programs. An amount ranging from 1,000 USD to 10,000 USD is awarded.
- Isabel Loucks Foster Public Health Bursary: Covers all Canadian universities offering an MPH degree. Around 2,262 USD is awarded to students enrolled for a full-time course in Masters of Public Health in Canada.
Admission Process for Masters in Public Health in Canada
The admission process for applying to Masters in Public Health in Canada is divided into two parts for international students. International students must fulfill the eligibility criteria before proceeding with the application and supporting documents.
For international students willing to pursue a Masters in Public Health in Canada must fulfill the following eligibility criteria, to get accepted for admissions:
- The candidate must have 10+2+4 years of education for admission to MPH in Canada.
- A bachelor's in Science with 75% is mandatory for pursuing Masters in Public Health in Canada in fields like Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, etc.
- A test score of GRE not older than 2 years is also an important criterion of eligibility for admission to the Masters in Public Health program in Canada.
- Students with 1 or more year gaps must provide proof of experience or study certificate he/she had undertaken.
- Universities like Lakehead also require an applicant to be capable of critical analysis and good decision making.
Masters in Public Health in Canada Admission Requirements
A majority of the following given requirements are common with most of the Canadian universities that offer Masters in Public Health in Canada:
- Where to Apply for MPH in Canada?: Official website of the respective Canadian University.
- Supporting Documents: The following documents must be attached along with the application:
- High school mark sheets, transcripts, and degrees.
- Statement of Goals: Stating how pursuing an MPH degree will help the candidate achieve their goals.
- Curriculum Vitae: Updated and recent CV mentioning the applicant’s overall GPA, grades, education level and professional or research experience.
- References: 2-3 references from academicians or professionals having closely worked with the applicant.
- Test Scores for Admission to Masters in Public Health in Canada include:
- Standardized Test Scores: GRE scores- 153 (quant), 153 (verbal) and MCAT are also accepted in some cases in Canadian Universities.
- English Language Proficiency Test Scores: The score of either of the following tests are required in order to study in Canada:
|Test Name||Minimum Score Required|
MPH Application Deadlines in Canada
Applications are usually accepted for Fall semester where classes begin in September. The application deadlines vary from university to university for Masters in Public Health admission applications. Usually, application deadlines begin from December and end by February.
MPH in Canada Admission Decisions
Students applying for MPH in Canada can expect the admission decision maximum by 40 days of application submission. Yet some Canadian universities may send the offer letter earlier or later depending upon their evaluation techniques.
Job Opportunities for Students with Masters in Public Health in Canada
As already discussed above, Canada has around 10,800 job openings for Public Health postgraduates alone. The average salary of an applicant holding a Masters in Public Health is 61,000 USD. Some of the highest paid jobs in MPH in Canada along with their job descriptions are given in the table below:
|Job||Job Description||Salary Offered (per annum)|
|Healthcare Administrator||Overall management of healthcare staff and organization.||72,850 USD|
|Healthcare Manager||Healthcare managers supervise the planning, budgeting, and ways to improve patient care.||71,640 USD|
|Biostatistician||Responsible for assisting medical research on living beings to draw conclusions.||61,840 USD|
|Public Health Nurse||They educate people in terms of health and safety. Also responsible for the well being of a community and not for a single patient.||54,650 USD|
|Epidemiologist||Involved in surveying, analyzing and understanding surge in diseases across the world.||53,450 USD|
Other than the above-mentioned MPH in Canada job profiles there are a few more which can be considered by international students. The following professions which can be taken up, post-Masters in Public Health in Canada along with their starting salaries are:
- Healthcare Consultant: 95,532 USD
- Health Informatics Specialist: 63,100 USD
- Health & Safety Engineer: 63,060 USD
- Public Health Educator: 62,900 USD
Various agencies offer MPH graduates with a job in Canada. Some of these government agencies are as follows:
|Canadian Government Agencies Hiring International Students Post-MPH|
|Vancouver Coastal Health||Cancer Care Ontario|
|Public Health Agency of Canada||British Columbia Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS|
|University of Oxford||British Columbia Ministry of Health|
|British Columbia Centre for Disease Control||Centre for Disease Control & Protection|
Overall admissions at Canadian universities in Masters of Public Health have increased to 2% from 2017 for both UBC and U of T admissions. But there has been a 6% fall in admission offers made to students willing to pursue MPH in Canada. Which has further led to a 4% fall in enrollments for 2018 session as well. Yet seeing a surge in the job opportunities and growth in the field, it is expected that there will be an increase in MPH graduates from Canadian universities in the upcoming years.