Master of Arts [M.A] (Economics)
Field of Study
International Student Tution
- York University’s Master of Arts in Economics is offered as a 1-year teaching program.
- This program is offered on a full-time teaching basis and the program can be completed in two terms (Fall and Winter).
- MA program is a course-based program providing advanced training in economic theory and quantitative methods and offering a wide selection of courses in various fields in economics.
- Graduates of the MA program will be well prepared for doctoral study in economics or employment in both the public and private sectors.
- The main components of this program that students will go through are:
- Macroeconomic Analysis
- Public Finance and Fiscal Policy
- Advanced Topics in Labour Economics
- Advanced Topics in Econometrics
- The Econometrics of Cross-Section Data
- Students applying for the course option, they must take at least 30 credit hours of graduate work (typically 10 courses).
- This program is also delivered by world-class researchers who also encourage students’ independent thinking, makes it an excellent choice for the best engineers of the future.
- Students will have access to three powerful Unix-based servers that run advanced computing applications such as Gauss, S-plus, Garch, Wavelette, SAS, Stata, IMSL and Unix versions of Maple and TSP.
- For this course, the student to teacher ratio is 31:1, which helps increase interaction between professors and students.
- Department of Economics focuses on essential issues like poverty, climate change, housing markets, financial crises, immigration, health care, and much more.
- Students may have job opportunities as a
- Securities Agents
- Investment Dealers
- Brokers Banking
- Economist, etc with an average salary of 41,772 USD per year.
|Degree Type Offered||Master|
|Fees||$ 12259 for 1 year|
|Delivery Type||full time|
|Admission Intake||fall (Deadline - Feb 15)|
Eligibility & Entry Requirement
- Students have to complete a bachelor’s degree of 90 credits (with or without honors) in Economics or in similar fields.
- Similar fields include a bachelor’s degree in business economics, quantitative economics, international economics, agricultural economics, environmental economics.
- Minimum grade point ‘B’ (70% – 74%) is required to enroll in this program.
Work Experience Eligibility:
- Students do not require any kind of work experience for this particular program.
- If students have any work experience then the chances of accepting the applications are more.
- If students do not meet the admission criteria because they have not taken one or more of the required courses in the four-year undergraduate program, students can register at York as a non-degree student and take the missing course(s) before applying for admission to this program.
Indian Student Eligibility:
Indian students are eligible to apply if they meet one of the following eligibility criteria:
- Completed a UG degree with first class in a relevant field from a recognized institution or NAAC-accredited institution.
- Or, completed a master's degree with first-class in a relevant field from a recognized institution.
The above requirements are the minimum requirements and do not guarantee admission. The admissions committee will consider all evidence in the file and decide. To know more about the requirem….Read More
Required Document List
Following Documents are required to attend this program:
- Statement of Purpose: An essay or other written statement written by the student.
- Resume/CV: Outline of academic achievements and/or awards, publications, relevant work and/or volunteer experience.
- Academic Documents: Submit copies of official transcripts from post-secondary institutions attended.
- Sample of written work: Student has to write something interesting as their sample essay in the application form.
- Statement of Interest: Reasons or intentions for pursuing studies in this program, including a description of prior experience.
- Two confidential letters of recommendation: Referees (Teachers, guidance counselors, or Professors) should comment on academics and that references should submit along with the application system.
|fall||Feb 15, 2021|
Fees & Funding
Tution & Application Fees
|Head||Avg Cost Per Year|
Times Higher Education 2021
Ranked #101 / 601
Economics [ International ]
Scholarship Grants & Financial Aids
|Name||Amount||International Students Eligible||Application Deadline|
|Ontario Graduate Scholarship||$ 10847||Yes||N/A|
|(ISC)² Women’s Cybersecurity Scholarships||Variable||Yes||Feb 19, 2021|
|Ontario Graduate Fellowship||$ 8459||Yes||N/A|
|Collegedunia $150 Scholarship Program||$ 150||Yes||N/A|
VISA & Work Study
- A Student VISA authorizes students to study in Canada legally.
- International students will receive their Study Permits in the form of a paper document which will usually be attached to the passport at the Canadian port of entry.
- Temporary Resident Visas (TRVs), commonly called Entry Visas, are to be obtained by foreign nationals who require visas to enter Canada, while Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) allows foreign nationals from visa-exempted countries to enter Canada without a visa.
- The student must have a valid study permit for the period of employment.
- He/She should meet the specific skills and experience requirements set by the sponsoring department.
- All students are permitted to accept one Work-Study position only per program period.
- Non-degree students (i.e. visiting students, students on a LOP) are not eligible for Work-Study.
- Students are not eligible to hold a work-study position in the same term in which they are holding an NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Award (or equivalent).
- Hourly rates vary with the nature of the job, the scope of responsibilities and work experience.
- The salary range will be indicated on the job posting and/or students will be advised by the employer during the interview.
- Work/study students are paid by their hiring department through York's payroll system.
- Student Financial Services does not pay students and cannot make adjustments to pay.
Career and Placement after Course
Possible career opportunities are:
- Securities Agents
- Investment Dealers
- Brokers Banking
- Credit and Other Investment Managers