The University of Windsor, also referred to as U of W or UWindsor, is a public research-based university located in Windsor, Ontario, Canada. The UWindsor offers lots of program choices, scholarships and hands-on learning opportunities for students.
Canada’s southernmost university offers nearly 250 programs to 13,000+ students. Here are the most popular courses/programs at Windsor.
- Film Production and Media Arts
- Behaviour, Cognition, and Neuroscience
- Disability Studies
- Queer Activism
Why Choose the University of Windsor?
Ranking and Standings
- # 651–700: QS World University Rankings 2018.
- #1 rising star among Canada’s universities - Huffington Post 2017
- #28 - U.S News & World Report National
- #14 - Maclean's Comprehensive University Rankings
- Offers Ph.D. in Social Justice which is offered nowhere else in Canada.
- 17 percent of the student body from around 100 countries.
- CAD 112-million Centre for Engineering Innovation opened in 2012.
- Hosts the Cross-Border Institute.
- Offers programs in partnership with U.S. schools including the University of Detroit Mercy.
- Faculty: 524, student/faculty ratio: 26:1
- Has residential capacity for more than 900 students.
- Produced more than 1,20,000 graduates in the last six years.
- Home to 17 athletic teams that compete for various provincial and national championships.
University of Windsor Highlights
|Type of University||Public|
|Number of Undergraduate Students||12,780|
|Number of Graduate Students||2,794|
|Percentage of International Students||17%|
|Tuition Fee Range||CAD 13750 to CAD 24500 (For International Students)|
|Test Scores Accepted||IELTS, TOEFL, and 3 others|
|Minimum Test Scores Required||IELTS – 6.5 bands TOEFL (IBT) – 83|
Campus and Residential Facilities
- Located in the heart of the Windsor-Detroit metropolitan area.
- Only minutes away from both downtown Windsor and downtown Detroit.
- Spread across 51 hectares and is surrounded by a residential neighborhood.
- Home to a small arboretum, a large food court, and the main campus bookstore.
- Served by Transit Windsor which operates buses from 5am to 2am weekdays.
More than 900 students of the University of Windsor live in its medium-sized campus. The university has both traditional and suite-style residence for its students.
- UWindsor has 4 residence halls for students.
- Macdonald Hall and Laurier Hall have traditional rooms. These halls have single and double occupancy rooms and shared washrooms and lounge space.
- Cartier and Alumni Halls have suite-style rooms, which are single occupancy rooms. These come with shared kitchen facilities, with washrooms being within the suite for some suites.
- All residence students must choose a meal plan from a variety of options, with values ranging from CAD 4,496 to CAD 5,196.
Faculties and Divisions
The University of Windsor has 9 faculties, the list of which is mentioned below: -
|Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences||Faculty of Education||Faculty of Engineering|
|Faculty of Graduate Studies||Faculty of Human Kinetics||Faculty of Law|
|Faculty of Nursing||Odette School of Business||Faculty of Science|
University of Windsor Programs
UWindsor has 15,574 students, 12,780 in undergraduate courses and 2,794 in graduate courses.
- More than 190 undergraduate programs.
- Undergraduate programs in all major fields like Biochemistry, Biological Sciences, Computer Science, Economics, Education, English, Law, Engineering, Liberal Arts, Physics, and Sociology.
- Also offers Bachelor of Arts and Science. Students can simultaneously learn science and music.
- 65 Masters and Doctoral programs
- For some other popular fields like Business Administration, Visual Arts, Political Sciences, Management, Kinetics, History, and many others, only Masters programs are available.
- Offers Environmental Science degree from Great Lakes Institute for Environmental Research.
- 14 diploma (certificate) programs along with 6 six professional programs.
- Admission in UWindsor is strictly based on merit.
- After completing the application form, the process is almost similar for all programs, be it graduate or undergraduate.
English Language Requirements
- UWindsor does not require any mandatory English Proficiency Test Scores.
- Even if a student fails to get such a score, he/she can still get the admission through ELIP (English Language Improvement Program of UWindsor).
- Students are taught English there and have to complete this course to continue studying in UWindsor.
If a candidate does not want to take admission in ELIP and wants to prepare for English proficiency tests, then these tests are accepted:
- IELTS – A minimum score of 6.5
- CAEL – A minimum score of 60
- MELAB – at least 80
- Internet-based TOEFL – Minimum 83 with at least 20 in the essay
- PTE – A minimum score of 60
How to Apply?
Before applying, a student must first check whether he/she fulfills the admission requirements or program-specific requirements or not. There are three ways to apply.
- Applying directly through the UWindsor website:
- Create a profile here and fill their application form.
- Apply through OUAC, i.e. Ontario Universities Applications Centre:
- Apply through form 105F of OUAC. This form enables candidates to apply to multiple universities of Ontario with a single application.
- Apply through educational agents:
- The university has authorized some agents who help students in applying to UWindsor.
- Candidates must make sure that they apply through trusted and authorized agents only.
Costs and Expenses
|Tuition fee for 8 months or 2 terms||CAD 21,500 to CAD 24,500|
|Incidental fee||CAD 1,600|
|Tuition fee for 16 months or 4 terms||CAD 27,500 to CAD 32,000|
|Incidental fee||CAD 3,600|
|Alumni hall (Single)||CAD 4,107||CAD 3,535||CAD 7,642|
|Cartier Hall (Double)||CAD 3,588||CAD 3,078||CAD 6,666|
|Laurier/Macdonald Hall (Double) (Single)||CAD 3,178 CAD 3,865||CAD 2,718 CAD 3,323||CAD 5,896 CAD 7,188|
Scholarships and Financial Aid
- The University of Windsor offers various scholarships and bursaries worth CAD 10 million every year.
- International students are also entitled to some very good scholarships at the university.
- The university proudly distributes International Entrance Scholarship.
- Entrance scholarship is given to students enrolling in full-time undergraduate courses at UWindsor.
- The students enrolling in any undergraduate course are considered automatically for this scholarship. They are provided financial help on the basis of their past academic record.
|Award Name||Score Needed||Total Amount Given||Renewable/One-time|
|University of Windsor Entrance Scholarship||80-84.9%||CAD 500||One-time|
|University of Windsor Entrance Scholarship||85-89.9%||CAD 1000||One-time|
|Dean’s Entrance Scholarship||90-94.9%||CAD 10000||Renewable|
|President’s Entrance Scholarship||95-100%||CAD 16,000||Renewable|
- For renewable scholarship, students have to obtain a minimum of 85% marks in order to continue receiving the scholarship.
- Students can also avail some in-course scholarships, Outstanding Scholar Awards, and need-based bursaries as well.
- Students can also apply for grants and students loan through OSAP (Ontario Students Assistance Program).
University of Windsor Work-Study Program
- Approximately 400 work-study positions are available.
- Nearly 50 positions are reserved for international students
- Earn up to CAD 2,000 and gain valuable work experience and networking opportunities.
- All work-study positions will pay CAD 14/hour along with 4 percent vacation pay.
- A good academic standing in your program is a must.
- Undergraduate students should be able to work at least 5 hours per week but not more than 24 hours per week.
- Graduate students should be able to work at least 5 hours per week.
The University of Windsor Alumni Association is a non-profit organization of 130,000+ alumni living across the globe.
- Alumni email services.
- Discounted campus services including access to The Forge Fitness Centre and the Leddy Library.
- Access to career-related workshops:
- Drop-in services: Resume or cover letter is reviewed by a faculty or an expert in this. Career planning and employment readiness topics can also be discussed.
- Events: Annual Job Fairs, Professional and Graduate Students fair and many others are organized by the center.
- Access to job postings and online resources.
- Drew Dilkens, current mayor of Windsor, Ontario
- Akshay Kumar, Bollywood actor
- Thomas LaSorda, CEO of Chrysler Group
- Mark Hominick, UFC fighter
- Leonard G. Goss, book publisher, author, editor