College of the Rockies: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
College of the Rockies Canada is a Government of Canada funded public community college located in the province of south east of British Columbia. It was founded by James Patterson in 1975. The College possesses British Columbia Education Quality Assurance Designation.
The main campus is situated in Cranbrook and regional campuses are Invermere, Fernie, Creston, Golden and Kimberly. Admission at College of the Rockies are provided to approximately 2100 students including around 200 international students from more than 30 countries each year. There are several specialty programs most of which focus on Adult Basic Education.
College of the Rockies Highlights
|Location||Cranbrook, British Columbia|
|Number of Campuses||6|
|Number of Students||2500|
|Mode of program||On campus/ Online/ Blended|
|Tuition fee||63.72 - 237.53 CAD (per credit)
78.60 - 122.28 CAD (per week)
|Financial Aid||Scholarship/ Bursary/ Award|
College of the Rockies Top Programs
College of the Rockies provides some of their own signature programs and mostly adult basic education.
College of the Rockies offers a variety of courses to students such as diploma courses, certificate of achievement, certificate programs, associate degree and other degree programs, Post-degree certificate and diploma, apprenticeship, and adult graduation diploma.
- College offers courses in the field of business, finance and leadership, tourism, education, continuing education program, industry & trade training, and health & human services. There are many options for mode of study such as online, on-campus, blended, directed studies, temporarily blended and temporarily online.
|Program||Fees per Annum (CAD)|
|Associates of Arts||11,700|
|Bachelor of business administration||11,700|
|Diploma in General Management||11,700|
|Diploma in Tourism Management||11,700|
|Certificate in Early Childhood Education||15,300|
|Diploma in Hospitality management||13,050|
College of the Rockies Campus
- College of the Rockies has 6 regional campuses namely Creston campus, Fernie campus, Gold Creek campus, Golden campus, Invermere campus and Kimberley campus.
- The main campus is situated in Cranbrook that comprises the administrative department student services and trades programs.
- The main campus houses Kootenay Center, Summit Hall, Patterson Hall, and Pinnacle Hall and Purcell House student residence.
- The other campus located in Cranbrook is the Gold Creek campus which is the home to the Timber framing and first aid programs.
- The Creston campus is located in the Kootenay region. It offers programs in carpentry and healthcare.
- The Fernie campus and Golden campus offer a variety of signature and specialty programs such as mountain adventure skill training, haul truck operator, kitchen training, adult upgrading etc.
- The Invermere campus offers programs in constructions, hospitality management, healthcare and common interest courses.
- The Kimberly campus is located in Warren Avenue Kimberley.
College of the Rockies Residence
- Residence facilities are available at the Cranbrook campus near the main entrance of Kootenay centre.
- There are two housing options available for students. One can apply for Purcell House and the other housing facilities under construction at the Cranbrook campus.
- The new campus houses 100 students in a two storey and a three storey building.
- The Purcell house offers easy access to hiking, biking and other physical activities. Shopping facilities available in walking distance and provides access to public transportation easily.
- Each unit is facilitated with a private bedroom with kitchen and appliances, laundry facility, vending machine, common lounge, open Wi-Fi and parking.
- Off campus housing facility is also available nearby the college.
- Rental apartments are also available on walking distance of the college. One can apply for rental apartments depending on the availability and their budget.
College of the Rockies Application Process
For admission to College of the Rockies, students must complete the online application and pay the required application fee. After receiving the offer of admission, an acceptance email is to be sent and payment of tuition fee is required before applying for Canada Study Permit. Scanned copies of documents are to be e-mailed to apply for the accommodation.
How to Apply?
Application Portal: Online application
Application Fee: 30 CAD
Basic Admission Requirements: The documents to be submitted along with the application for admission are as follows:
- Official transcripts from previous institutions attended.
- Copy of passport
- Proof of English language proficiency: International students must submit English language proficiency test scores. The minimum requirements of these scores are as follows:
College of the Rockies Cost of Attendance
- The tuition fees for the applied course are obtained by email.
- College of Rockies charges tuition fee for programs using cost per credit or cost per week basis.
This estimated cost of attendance is for on-campus students.
|Tuition||9,076CAD - 16,200CAD|
|Students’ association fees||138CAD|
|Lab fees *||25.81CAD|
|Bus pass fees**||44.40CAD(fall and winter) 22.20CAD(spring and summer)|
|Health and dental fee(annual fee)||229.50CAD|
*If there is a lab requirement in the course, then fee is applicable.
** If 3 or more courses or 1 directed studies course is chosen, then bus pass fees are mandato
College of the Rockies Placements
Students with a study permit are allowed to work study in Canada, given they have a SIN number. Students can obtain the SIN number by visiting the Canada Access Center Office and showing a valid passport and study permit.
A full time student is allowed to work up to 20 hours a week while classes are being held and 40 hours a week during breaks. Some of the college’s programs like tourism management and hospitality management have co-op placements while graduates of academic programs can apply for post graduation work permits.
- Colleges have student support service for their career planning as well as their employment help, career and resume support.
- College of the Rockies provides opportunities for students by internships, summer jobs, on-campus jobs and jobs that are posted online as well as on-campus job and info boards.
- Employment service of the college provides workshops on resume and cover letter writing, interview skills, job searching and networking as well as individual employment consultation is provided. They have their own career portal.
- Students with a study permit allowed to work study in Canada.
- A full-time student has certain work hour limitations. They can work upto 20 hours a week attending classes and 40 hours a week during breaks.
College of the Rockies Scholarships/Financial Aid
- College of the Rockies provides the maximum amount of financial aid through scholarships and bursaries.
- Financial aid is available to full-time students of the college. For scholarships a student with 60% course load is considered full-time whereas for bursaries the criterion is 80% course load.
- Some scholarships, bursaries and awards available for students are given in the table below:
|Type of Financial Aid||Eligibility Criteria||Amount Awarded (CAD)|
|Premier’s Scholarship||Enrolled in a program longer than 1 year.
Selection will be based on academic merit.
|International Learning Travel Awards||Enrolled in a program at the College.
Completed at least 1 semester before the period of travel.
|International Student Excellence Scholarships||Applicable for students who plan to return to enrol in University Studies, Business Administration, Tourism or Recreation Management, and other programs.||2000|
|Career and Job Fair Entrance Awards||Applicable for students entering into the Business Administration or Bachelor of Business Administration program for the first time.||1500|
|College of the Rockies Entrance Awards for University Studies - Arts and Sciences||Applicable for new students entering University in fall.||1000|
College of the Rockies Alumni Network
Members of the college’s alumni network are entitled to several benefits such as:
- Deals from alumni partners like High County Outdoor Gear and Clothing, Apex Accounting, Steeples Veterinary Clinic, TD insurance, Marks Canada etc.
- Members will also be given the opportunity to attend networking events, job boards, events with guest speakers, become a part of social media groups, volunteering opportunities etc.
- Members can access resources available at College of Rockies library, discounts on student life and athletic department memberships such as 20% off on monthly weight room passes, 10% off on renting equipment etc.
Some notable alumni of the College of Rockies include:
- Mike Adams: CPA, CA and owner of Apex Accounting
- Kellen Ward: Key Account Manager In Calgary, AB.
- Chyanne Pan: Family support worker at Axis Family Resources.
- Kendall Plant: Technician involved in obtaining ISO accreditation.
- Jesse Crockett: General Manager at the Josie Hotel.
FIND A PROGRAM
The college's commitment to providing relevant and quality education is unwavering and that encouraged me to apply for this college. Also, they have state-of-the-art campuses and facilities that meet East Kootenay’s steadily growing demand for skilled workers and employees. After being motivated to get admitted here, I submitted a common application form online and paid an application fee of $30.
Course Curriculum :
Financial Services is a two-year diploma program that opens the door to career opportunities in the financial services field or prepares us to continue on to a Bachelor of Business Administration program. This program is also ideal for mid-career professionals looking to diversify our skillset.
My college was involved in creating opportunities for us to feel supported, safe, included in curriculum, classrooms, and student life is important to them. Providing opportunities for me to share my culture and tradition is an excellent way for me to learn as well. My GPA was 6. I had to submit a common application form.
Course Curriculum :
This two-semester program exposed me to a combination of drawing, painting, sculpture, creative writing, and an overview of art history. The Fine Arts certificate program provides the opportunity to explore my creative side. I took required courses that give them an overview of history, philosophy, and practice.
I live in Cranbrook and it's cheaper than moving somewhere else to attend. This way I'm close to family for mental and emotional support as well as to my church family. They have played a major role in supporting me mentally and emotionally through these first two years of school!
Course Curriculum :
It is still clearly under construction as they have just added years 3 and 4 of the program to this campus. It's opened some cool opportunities and also given this to think about for the future of our nursing careers.
- Bus Station
- Shopping Mall
- Book Store
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary