Capilano University (CapU) North Vancouver, Courses, Rankings, Admission Criteria, Fees & Scholarships
Founded in 1968, Capilano University or CapU as it is commonly called is a teaching-focused public University in British Columbia, Canada. For more than 50 years, CapU has been offering quality educational services to international students aspiring to study in Canada. Capilano University is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).
Capilano University offers a range of programs and study options including philosophy, physics, English or unique fields of study like outdoor recreational management, jazz studies or motion picture arts. The University enrolls around 12,000 students every year at an average acceptance rate of 23%. Various types of academic as well as need based scholarships at Capilano University, are available for the students enrolled. The university is currently providing applicants with Emergency Assistance Funding who have experienced financial hardship during times of Covid-19.
Capilano University Rankings
The University is ranked #64 in top universities in Canada and ranked #2385 in the world by UniRank. Some of the other reviews for Capilano University by Best Universities EduRank 2021 are mentioned below:
- In the World- 2804 of 14178
- In North America- 853 of 2629
- In Canada- 69 of 101
- In British Columbia- 12 of 16
|Type of university||Public|
|Number of Faculty members||639|
|Number of Full time Enrollment||2,904|
|Number of Part time Enrollment||4,671|
|Annual Acceptance Rate||23%|
|Basic Tuition Fee, Undergraduate International Students||CAD 572.00 per credit|
Capilano University Campus
- The main campus opened its doors of learning to students in 1973
- CapU operates with four campus locations. The main campus is at North Vancouver, a regional campus in Sechelt (Sunshine coast), CapU Lonsdale in the North Shore, and the Ts̓zil Learning Center at Líl̓wat Nation in Mount Currie, British Columbia.
- CapU offers six men's and women's varsity sports teams to students.
- For students’ recreational activities, The Centre for Sport and Wellness offers a range of spaces and free services to students which include Lillooet Park, weight room, gymnasium, soccer field, pitch and putt, lockers, etc
- There are 36 student clubs open to students at Capilano University
- Capilano enrolls 12,700 students each year with international students being up to 2,500 in number.
- 88% of Capilano University’s library resources are digital. This encompasses articles, ebooks, and media.
- CapU offers students spaces to students in the CSU Maple Lounge and four libraries.
- The average class size at CapU is 25 students
Capilano University Residence
- All of CapU residences are located off-campus as of 2020.
- There are three residence halls at CapU open to all students. They are Grouse Hall, Cypress Hall, and Seymour Hall.
- Room features include two twin size beds, drawer storage, two twin size mattresses, two desks with built-in shelving, two desk chairs, two closets, and a lockable drawer. These features are not totally available in apartment-style housings.
- Amenities within CapU housings include laundry, common washrooms, common lounge, showers, common spaces, kitchen, meal plans, and wireless internet
- CapU is constantly working on the residences to make sure that they are accessible to all types of students: disabled or not.
- Amenities close to CapU residences include grocery shops, coffee shops, restaurants, and social activities such as rock climbing and laser tag
- There are no special accommodations for LGBTQ students as all shared accommodations are only single-gender, however, CapU hopes to provide comfortable and safe accommodations to all students through the information they provide when applying for housing.
Capilano University Programs
- There are 14 bachelor degree programs, seven associate degrees, 26 certificate programs, 29 diploma programs, one graduate certificate, two graduate diplomas, two pathways programs, one post-baccalaureate certificate, five post-baccalaureate diplomas, and two standalone courses.
- There are two pathways programs in Business Administration and Early Childhood Care and Education.
- There is a one-year Business Administration Certificate and a two-year Business Administration diploma as well as an eight-month ESL combined MBA pathway program.
- CapU also offers a two-year Tourism Management for International Students Diploma for international students.
- The school also offers 3D Animation for Film and Games and 2D Animation and Visual Development
Capilano University Application Process
Application portal for international students: Education Planner BC portal
Application fee for international students: 135 CAD
- Undergraduate: International Secondary School Equivalencies, High school transcripts, secondary education transcripts, English translations if documents are not in English, proof of English proficiency, audition (if applicable), and interview if required.
- Graduate: Bachelor degree, International Secondary School Equivalencies, High school transcripts, secondary education transcripts, English translations if documents are not in English, proof of English proficiency, letter of interest/intent, résumé/CV or summary of experience, audition (if applicable), and interview if required.
- Apply as an international student if you will need a Canadian student visa, Immigration form or Citizenship of Canada for studies.
- Find a program that interests you and then check the requirements and deadlines for the same.
- Submit your application on EducationPlannerBC- a website for applying to universities and colleges across British Columbia.
- After submitting your application process you will receive an acknowledgement mail and instructions about how to track your application status.
English Language Minimum Requirements
|IELTS||6.5 overall, with no single score below 6|
|TOEFL||iBT: 83 paper test: 560|
|ELA (English Language Assessment Test)||145|
|CAEL (Canadian Academic English Language Assessment Test)||70|
Note: Applicants who have completed their degree program or graduated from a full-time four-year degree program in English in the countries listed in CapU's English requirements website do not have to take the English Language tests necessarily.
Capilano University Cost of Attendance
For international candidates aspiring to study at the university, it is mandatory to have an estimate of the cost of living in Canada to survive comfortably in a foreign land. The list of basic expenses to be considered for applying for admission at the institute is as detailed below.
|Fees (Estimate)||Amount per annum (CAD)|
|Books and supplies||1,000|
|Phone and Internet||1,300|
- Students above 65 years of age do not pay tuition fees at CapU
- CapU conducts audits on a minimum of 5% of scholarship applications
- Financial aid in Canada for international students include scholarships, grants, student jobs, and external aids. Some of these are listed below:
- CIE International Student Scholarship: This award is exclusively for international students and it is by nomination. The amount varies and the applicant must have been enrolled in a post-secondary program at Capilano University or/and EAL pathway programs.
- Canadian Bureau for International Education scholarships: This organization offers varying scholarships such as Excellence Awards to deserving international students.
- International Student Entrance Award: With a varying amount, CapU awards this scholarship as an entrance award to support international students who were actively involved in their previous schools and who are currently positioned to be engaged members of the Capilano University community.
Capilano University Alumni
Alumni benefits include:
- Discounts on home and auto insurance at TD Insurance Meloche Monnex program
- Career Development Support
- Unique library access and services
- Global alumni networking, resources, events and awards
Notable alumni of the university includes:
- Nick Bateman -Canadian model
- Graham Wardle -Canadian Actor
- Rainer Andreesen –Artist
- Bria Skonberg –Jazz trumpeter
Capilano University Placement
- 36% of students at CapU have taken further studies after graduating from the program and 95% of CapU graduates are employed.
- The total employment rate of CapU graduates is 89% and average salary of CapU graduates is 45,000 CAD.
- The career development center at CapU conducts career empowerment programs, link up programs, company tours, Industry day, online job and volunteer board, networking events, hiring fair, etc, and career fairs that are attended by up to 130 employers every year.
Ques. What is the average GMAT and GRE scores of students admitted to the university?
Ans.Average GMAT score-560 Average GRE score-309
Ques. What is the application form fee for international students?
Ans.The application form fee is $135 (non refundable) for international students.
Ques. Does Capilano University provide housing facilities to its students?
Ans.Yes the campus residence provides students with affordable housing starting at approximately $1100 per month for shared accommodation which includes meals, furnitures, Wi-Fi, free laundry and common lounge spaces.
Ques. What is the annual acceptance rate of Capilano University?
Ans.The rate of acceptance is 23%
Ques. What is the last date to pay tuition fees?
Ans.The deadline for payment of all the fees is May3,2021 by 4 p.m. for the summer term.
Ques. Will the new academic year programs be held online due to covid?
Ans.Yes the majority of classes at Capilano University will be offered via adapted modes of delivery.
FIND A PROGRAM
After completing my senior secondary school education, I started applying for my graduation in canada. I had applied in multiple universities and got approval form many of them. But I opted for this university just because It comes under my budget, secondary my friend had recently got passed out from here. My application fees was $125 for one course. The level of admission process was normal, I didn't find it that much hard as what I though before.
Course Curriculum :
Through my course curriculum, I had build a strong foundation in business knowledge. In my third year, i had multiple option to choose as my main subject and I opted for marketing domain. Moreover I had learned how to formulate solutions for business problems utilizing analytical thinking, research methodology, financial analysis and reflective approach to develop sustainable alternative and support ethical and effective decisions.
I opted for this college due to its world wide popularity and its rank in canada. The infrastructure of this university was the most attracting factor here. The fees of my online application was $120 and for every addition course, It was $50 per program. My score in 12th was 97.50% in PCM. I had not applied in too many colleges as I found my desired course here, and I got the acceptance letter easily here.
Course Curriculum :
My course curriculum was rigorous, industry focused and responsive to cultural change and technology advances. I had learned a broad range of design specialties such as branding, illustration, and interactive design. My course duration was of four years which further divided into semesters.
North Vancouver being one of the best places to study communication was the reason I opted for this college. I came to know about it after researching on it. I did not apply for any other college. It was either this or I wait for the next intake. I was charged $150 for the application fee, which I had applied through the online college portal.
Course Curriculum :
It was good with very high professionals taking our classes. It was a mixture of theory and practical.
I came to know about this college in the beginning of my school. One of my teacher discussed about few universities in the class. Since then I had decided to pursue my graduation from one of those university. My online application was worth $130 only.
Course Curriculum :
The most interesting thing about my course curriculum was its breadth of complementary academic subjects. Moreover, It was easy to accumulate the core strength in my stream in the examination preparation period.
I had applied to many universities and also got approval letter from few of them. I opted for this university because of its infrastructure, the living lifestyle and budget friendly living cost. For my application I had paid $125. My academic background had been great through out my school journey.
Course Curriculum :
In my course I got such subject that focused on drawing, design, and classical animation techniques. I had learned several skills here like TV animation, 2d and 3d animation, flash animation, graphic editing etc.
- Shopping Mall
- Book Store
- Train Station
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary