Siddaganga Institute of Technology - [SIT] Quick Updates
SIT Tumkur Quick Updates 2020
June 16: Registration Deadline for KMAT 2020 is Aug 2; Exam will be held on Aug 23. Check Here
June 11: KMAT applications are open now. The last date of application is in the fourth week of July. Apply now
Siddaganga Institute of Technology (SIT), was established in 1963. This prestigious institute is one of the premier technological institutes in the state of Karnataka, located in the town of Tumkur, Karnataka, India.
- It is one among the 130+ educational institutions run by the Sri Siddaganga Educational Society. It became an autonomous institution under Visveswaraiah Technological University in 2007-08 with the last VTU batch graduating in 2010.
- The Institute is one of the 14 Engineering Colleges under the Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme (TEQIP) a World Bank Project, administered by the Government of Karnataka in the state and is granted Academic Autonomy from the Year 2007-08.
- The Institute is spread over 65 Acres with greenery all over, and has a sprawling playground for indoor and outdoor games like, Football, Hockey, Cricket and Basketball.
TEQIP:- SIT is one of the 14 Engineering colleges of Karnataka State selected by Government of India for providing an aid of Rs. 10 Crores (100 Million) for the all-round development of the college under TEQIP. TEQUIP is supported by World Bank and 30% of the amount is considered as grant and 70% is a loan which is to be paid back in 20 years period with 8% interest.
Branch / Batch
Electronics & Commn.
Electrical & Electronics
- Architecture Engineering – Rachna
- Chemical Engineering / Bio Technology – BioChESS
- Civil Engineering – Shelter
- Computer Science / Information Science Engineering & MCA – Browse
- Electrical / Electronics/ Telecom Engineering / Instruementation – Technisium
- Industrial Engineering – IEMage
- Mechanical Engineering – Momentum
Sports & Cultural Activities:-
Two cultural festivals SPANDANA and HALCYON are organised for three days in each semester of the year. Students from various technical institutions in Karnataka State participate in these festivals, which include a vriety of items like English & Kannada debates, Quiz, essay writing, mimicry, dance, drama, etc and are aimed at increasing the friendship and exchange of ideas among studnets of different institutions.
- The library, centrally located in the campus, is housed in two independent 3 - storeyed buildings having a plinth area of 1533 Sq Mts.
- The library is having a collection of 1,01,554 volumes that includes 30,829 volumes under the Book Bank and about 11,574 volumes under SC/ST Book Bank.
- The collection includes reference works such as Dictionaries, Encyclopedias, Hand Books and Standards.
- The library subscribes 152 Technical Periodicals of which about 42 are International, it has also a collection of nearly 3267 Back Volumes of Periodicals.
- S.I.T. Group of Hostels runs 5 Boys Hostels(4 inside the campus and 1 in town) and 2 Girls Hostels(Located in the town) and another Girl's Hostel (Capacity: 290) is nearing completion.
- Together can accomodate 1950 students in a plinth area of 22700 Sq.m.
- Each room in all the hostels has been furnished with cots, tables, chairs, book racks and a ceiling fan.
- The insttute has 29 computer centres housing 1600 Systems located in different departments, in addition 250 computers for the faculty.
- The total number of computers in these centres is more than 1600, with latest configurations.
- All the computer centres and other computer facilities such as the Library & Information centre and the Industrial Competency Laboratory and the hostels are connected through a campus wide network with Fibre Optic backbone, as well as Wireless Access Network connecting all Hostels.
- The Institute has 14 Mbps INTERNET leased line connecting all the computer centres and the indvidual computers in the Departments and the Hostels.
The institute has the following facilities for sports Activities.
- 400m. Athletic Track with 8 lanes.
- 3 Practise pitches with net facility & 1 match pitch for Cricket.
- 1 match pitch for Football and Hockey.
- 2 – Flood lit Basketball, 2 – Volleyball Courts (One of them is Flood lit), 2 – Tennis & 2 – Ball Badmiton Courts.
- Fully equipped multi-gym facility.
- Indoor stadium with 2 - Badmiton Courts, 4 Table Tennis Boards.
- Chess & Carrom Boards.
- Separate indoor sports facilties for girls.
- A stadium for indoor and out door sports built at a cost of 1.75 crores.
- The Auditorium in two floor (first floor Gallery) has a seating capacity of nearly 1000 people at a time.
- With excellent sound system, has also a project room with a 35mm Film Projector.
- The cost of the building was then around Rs. 15.00 lakhs.
â€‹Kennedy Guest House: The Kennedy Guest House, located at the Entrance of the Institute provides for accommodating the Guests on visit to the Institute. Named after the Former President of United States of America, John F. Kennedy is a two floor building with decent facilities, and surrounded by Lush green lawns.
Awards and Recognition:-
- In 2009, the IEEE SIT Student branch website won the "Best Student Branch website" in IEEE Bangalore section.
- In 2011, the IEEE SIT Student branch was awarded as the "Outstanding Student Branch" in IEEE Bangalore section.
- Has a record of producing highest number of gold medalists all over karnataka.
- Majority of the lecturers especially in civil engineering are gold medallists from this prestigious institution.
Electronics for you Survey Report
- 23rd in top 40 Engineering colleges across the Country.
- 9th in top 10 Engineering colleges on the basis of Infrastructure.
Silicon India Survey Report
- 27th in top 100 Engineering colleges in Computer Science across India.
- 27th in top 100 Engineering colleges in Electronics & Communication Engg across India
- 32nd in top 100 Engineering colleges in Mech. Engineering across India.
- 8th in top 10 Engineering colleges in South India.
- 44th in top 50 M.Tech Engineering colleges across India
Business Barons Survey Report
- 45th in top 50 Engineering colleges