Vivekanand College, Kolkata was established in 1950 under the State Government. The college offers Undergraduate courses in 19 subjects under the Faculty of Arts, Science and Commerce. Under Post-Graduation, the institute offers M.A. degree in 2 specializations. The institute also provides a one year certificate course (UGC sponsored) on Microfinance Management..
Admission procedures for Under-graduate and Postgraduate programs are done strictly on the basis of merit/ marks. The seats are reserved for SC, ST, OBC and physically handicapped candidates in all the courses. Candidates can apply to the institute by filling the application form either online or offline.
Vivekananda College Highlights
|Established | Institute type||1950 | Government|
|Accredited to||NAAC A|
|Affiliated to||University of Calcutta|
|Courses Offered||B.A. (Hons.), B.A.(General), B.Sc. (Hons), B.Sc. General, B.Com (Hons), B.Com(General), and M.A.|
|Application mode||Online and Offline|
|Facilities Available||E- Canteen, Common Rooms, Outdoor Games, Medical Clinic|
Vivekananda College Ranking
Vivekananda College, Thakurpukur has ranked No. 1 in Science Stream in Kolkata City as well as in the Eastern Region. The institute also ranked 28th in Science Stream at the National Level.
Vivekananda College Courses
The institute offers under-graduate courses in 19 subjects in different domains of Arts, Science and Commerce. Under PG courses, it offers M.A. programs into specializations. This section will deal with detailed information about these courses:
Read More: Vivekananda College Kolkata Fees
Vivekananda College Admission
Admissions at Vivekananda College Kolkata is purely based on merits obtained by the students in the last qualifying exam. Students are required to obtain a minimum of 50% aggregate marks in the qualifying exam to become eligible for admission.
How to apply?
- The admission process for the courses can be done online as well as offline. Candidates can either apply on the website and fill up the application form or they can also collect the form from the college premises.
- In the online application, candidates have to fill their complete information correctly and submit it before the said deadline.
- Payment can be done through NEFT or challan.
- For offline applications, candidates can obtain the form by visiting the college campus.
- For applying to more than one course, candidates have to fill a separate application form.
- Admission can be cancelled at any point in time. Students must submit the cancellation form along with the fee receipt directly to the principal (original copy).
- The refund will be guided by UGC norms and transferred to the candidate’s bank account only.
Read More: Vivekananda College Kolkata Admission
Vivekananda College Facilities
- College Common Rooms: The institute provides separate common rooms for male and female students for the purpose of study and recreation
- College Canteen: A specious canteen runs in the college campus for supplying hygienic food at a subsidized rate to the students and the staff under the supervision of a Teacher-in-charge
- PlayGround/ Outdoor Games: The College has an extensive playground of its own inside the college campus which is used for Annual Sports & Athletics Meets, Inter-class Football, and Cricket etc.
- Students’ Health Home: The college is affiliated to the ‘Students’ Health home’ established by the University of Calcutta. Students can get medical facilities and specialized treatment against an Annual Subscription of Rs. 5/= only
- Students’ Aid Fund: There is special Students’ Aid Fund which extends financial help to the students who are under financial constraint
- Students’ Safety Insurance Scheme: From the 1990-91 sessions onward the College has introduced ‘Students’ Safety Insurance Scheme’ under “New India Assurance Co. Ltd.”
Vivekananda College FAQs
Ques. Does the college have a reservation quota during admission?
Ans. Yes. The seats reserved in all courses for SC / ST and Physically Handicapped candidates as per West Bengal Govt. rules are:
Ques. Does the college provide admission for Foreign students?
Ans. Yes. Foreign students can apply for any course. For that, they need to submit the following documents in advance:
- Student’s Visa.
- Original and attested copies of Admit Card and Mark sheet of the last Public Examination.
- Original and attested copies of Admit Card of Madhyamik or Equivalent Examination as proof of age.
- Original and attested copies of Certificate from the Competent Authority for the caste of S.C. / S.T. and for Handicapped Candidates.
- Original Migration Certificate for students migrating from other Boards / University, if available.
- Three copies of stamp size recent (not before 6 months) photographs of the student.
- Registration Form duly filled in.
Ques. How can one apply for admission in the institute?
Ans. Candidates can apply for admission by filling the application form either online or offline. The application fee is to be paid while submitting the application form.
Ques. What are the documents required at the time of admission?
Ans. At the time of admission following documents need to be produced in original:
- Acknowledge slip (original)
- Admission fee receipt (original)
- Age proof certificate
- Mark sheet of 10+2
- Caste certificate issued by the competent authority (SC/ ST/ OBC/ PWD) if applicable
- Migration Certificate (if applicable)
- Domicile Certificate (if applicable)
- Signed Anti-Ragging form of student and parent
- CU Registration certificate (if applicable)
Ques. Does the college provide any scholarship to students?
Ans. As such, the college doesn’t provide scholarships, but it does recognize meritorious students. The college offers 7 prizes to the Toppers in different Faculty of College. Three prizes each of INR 1000/- value and three prizes each of INR 500/- value are awarded to the Toppers in Honours and General Courses- Arts, Science and Commerce, and one prize of INR 750/- value is awarded to the Topper in B.Com Vocational course respectively.
- A certificate of merit is also given to each of the Toppers
- Apart from this, every department awards the students obtaining the highest marks