National Institute of Design (NID), Ahmadabad is considered as one of the premier fashion institutes, established in the year 1961. It offers the best design courses at undergraduate, postgraduate, and research levels such as B.Des., M.Des., and Ph.D. in design. The selection procedure for the courses is based on qualifying marks in NID Entrance Test. The fashion institute has an active placement cell that organizes annual Industry Interface, Top-most Fashion & textile companies like Nali Textiles, Bharat Silks, Myntra visit. Several NGOs and Govt. sectors also recruit the students.
NID, Ahmedabad Important Dates
|NID DAT 2021 Registration Dates||09 Jan - 07 Feb, 2021|
|Last date fill NIT DAT 2021 Application with late fees||08 Feb - 12 Feb, 2021|
|NIT DAT 2021 Exam Date||14 Mar, 2021|
NID, Ahmedabad Highlights
DAT: Design Aptitude Test
|Types of Programs | No. of Programs||UG, PG, & Ph.D. | 30+|
|Mode of Registration||Online|
NID, Ahmedabad Courses
National Institute of Design offers 8 specializations at the undergraduate level, 19 specializations at the postgraduate level, and many specializations in doctoral programs. The details of the courses and their eligibility are elaborated below:
Course 1: Bachelor of Design (B.Des)
- Duration - 4 Years
- Specializations - Exhibition Des., Ceramic & Glass Des., Film & Video Communication, Furniture & Interior Des., Graphic Des., Product Des., and Textile Des.
- Eligibility - Intermediate (10+2) with at least 55% from any recognized university; the maximum age limit is 20 years old.
- Seat Intake - 15 each specialization
Course 2: Master of Design (M.Des)
- Duration - 2.5 Years
- Specializations - Animation film Des., Apparel Des., Ceramic & Glass Des., Des. for Retail, Film & Video Des., Fruniture & Interior Des., Graphic Des., Informative Des., Universal Des., Transport Des., Interactive Design., Lifestyle Accessories Des., New Media Des., Photography Des., Product Des., Textile Des., Strategic Des., and Toy & Game Des.
- Eligibility - B.Des Graduate in relevant course with at least 55%; maximum age limit is 30 years old.
- Seat Intake - 15 each specialization
Course 3: Ph.D. in Design
- Duration - 5 Years
- Specialization - above mentioned specializations
- Eligibility - Master degree in relevant course with at least 55%
NID, Ahmedabad Admission
The Institute invites application for several undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral programs. In order to take admission in mentioned courses, candidates will have to appear for NID Entrance Exams - DAT and DRT
DAT ( Design Aptitude Test): This exam is compulsory for undergraduate and postgraduate aspirants. The entrance is further divided into two phases - Prelims and Mains, consisting of objective and subjective questions.
DRT (Design Reseach Test): This exam is compulsory for Ph.D. aspirants. The entrance consists of objective and subjective questions and carries 100 marks in total.
Online Registration Procedure
The admission and selection procedures for undergraduate & postgraduate courses are done through DAT (Design Aptitude Test) whereas the admission and selection procedure for doctoral courses is through DRT (Design Research Test).
Fashion aspirants should follow the subsequent steps in order to apply to their desired courses:
Step 1: Visit the official website (http://admissions.nid.edu) and click on the ‘Admission’ tab
Step 2: Register yourself with a valid date of birth, contact number and email id.
Step 3: Enter NID DAT/ DRT Login credentials and fill in the form with required details
Step 4: Upload scanned self-attested documents like photograph, signature, caste certificate, and more
Step 5: Choose nearby examination centers and click on ‘Save and Proceed’
Step 6: Make a payment as per your course and category via credit/debit card or net banking.
NID Ahmedabad Reserved Categories
Category wise reservation of seats for UG, PG, and Ph.D. are tabulated below:
Check: NID Ahmedabad Admissions
NID, Ahmedabad Placements
National Institute of Design has an ongoing placement cell to synergize and facilitate intercommunication between the students and top-notch fashion industries. The major roles of the placement cell are:
- Designing project-based learnings
- Industrial training
- Soft-skill training
- Counseling sessions
- Organizing guest lectures
- mock-test/ interviews
- Conducting personal interviews between students and recruiters
Some of the top recruiters are Clarice Technologies, Cognizant Technology Solutions, Bombay Design House, Citrix R&D India Pvt.Ltd, Mindtree, Nalli Textiles, Myntra, and many more.
|No. of Companies participated in the placement process||121|
|No. of students opting for placements through the institute||222|
|No of placement offers till date||205|
|Highest salary package offered||36 LPA|
|Average salary package offered||8 LPA|
Check: NID Placements records
NID, Ahmedabad Scholarships
- The institute awards Freeship cum scholarship to the needy and deserving students with the support of the Ford Foundation and from its own resources. The value of freeship is equivalent to the yearly tuition fee payable by the student.
- Sir Ratan Tata Trust, Mumbai also awards this scholarship to maximum 5 students studying in second years of GDPD, based on their merit in the Foundation Programme and marks obtained in standard XII
Check: NID Scholarships