Institute of Hotel Management, Gurdaspur was established in 1994 by the Ministry of Tourism, Govt. of India. It is affiliated to the National Council for Hotel Management & Catering Technology, Noida, and is one of the most premier institutions of Hospitality and Hotel Management in the country.
The institute offers B.Sc. in Hospitality & Hotel Management and Diploma Courses across five specialisations. The admissions to B.Sc course is entrance-based. For the B.Sc. program, it accepts admissions through NCHMCT JEE.
Candidates can apply for NCHMCT JEE 2020 online through the institute website or NCHMCT JEE official portal. For applying to PG Diploma courses, candidates are required to apply in offline mode. The admissions will be provided based on merit secured by the students in 10+2 level examinations.
The institute is listed among the country’s top ten hotel management institutes in the official ranking given by the Ministry of Tourism. It also ranks No. 1 in infrastructure among all the government colleges.
It has a 13-acres campus with facilities such as practical laboratories, computer and internet labs, library, student and staff accommodation, an auditorium and spacious classrooms.
Placement at IHM Gurdaspur is reputed among the five-star and luxurious hotel groups. The top recruiters of IHM Gurdaspur are The Oberoi Group, The Park Hotels, ITC Hotels, Lemon Tree Hotels, JW Marriott and Hyatt Regency, and Burger King etc.
IHM Gurdaspur Highlights
|Established | Institute Type||1994 | Public|
|Affiliated to||National Council for Hotel Management and Catering Technology (NCHMCT), Noida|
|Set by||Government of India|
|Entrance Exam||NCHM-JEE (only for B.Sc. HHA)|
|Courses Offered||B.Sc. HHA, 1.5 years Diploma (5 specialisations available)|
|Popular Courses||B.Sc. Hospitality and Hotel Management|
|Application Mode||Online (for B.Sc.) and Offline (for Diploma courses)|
|Admission Criteria||Entrance Test (for B.Sc. HHA) and Merit Based (for Diploma)|
|Top Recruiters||The Park Hotels, The Oberoi Group, ITC Hotels, Lemon Tree Hotels, Hyatt Regency|
|Campus Area||13 Acres|
|Facilities Available||Library, Hostel, Laboratories, Auditorium|
IHM Gurdaspur Ranking/Awards/Achievements
IHM Gurdaspur has been recognised by a lot of ranking bodies and magazines. The rankings have been given below:
|India Today||15th (for HM)||2019|
|The Week||18th (for HM)||2019|
|Outlook||17th (for HM)||2019|
|GHRDC Hotel Management Institute Survey||4th (amongst Govt. HMIs in India) and 2nd (among Govt. HMIs in Punjab)||2017|
|Swachata Ranking (IHMs)||3rd||-|
|GHRDC – CSR||1st (in infrastructure among all Govt. institutes)||-|
IHM Gurdaspur Courses Offered
IHM Gurdaspur offers B.Sc. in Hospitality & Hotel Management, along with a Diploma course in 5 specialisations. The details of the courses offered are as follows:
|B.Sc.||Duration: 3 Years
Subject: Hospitality & Hotel Management (HHM)
Eligibility: Candidate should have passed 10+2 or its equivalent and must qualify in NCHMCT JEE
|Diploma||Duration: 1.5 years (18 months)
Subjects: Food Production, Bakery & Confectionary, Food & Beverage Service, Housekeeping, Front Office
Eligibility: 10+2 Pass or its equivalent with English as compulsory subject
IHM Gurdaspur Admissions
Admissions at Institute of Hotel Management, Gurdaspur takes place through an entrance exam or through merit, based on the course being applied for.
- Candidates for the B.Sc. courses will be selected based on their performance in NCHMCT JEE exam. Post this, there would be a process of counselling through which they would be selected.
- Candidates applying for Diploma courses must apply for their respective specialisations through offline mode by downloading the application form from the college website.
The total seat intake of the college is 471 students. The college offers 234 seats in the B.Sc. course and 237 seats in the Diploma course across all the 5 specialisations. The size of intake is mentioned below for each course:
|Course||Stream||Size of intake|
|B.Sc.||Hospitality and Hotel Management||234|
|Diploma Courses||Food Production||82|
|Bakery & Confectionary||47|
|Food & Beverage||36|
How to Apply?
Students who wish to apply for the B.Sc. in IHM Gurdaspur may follow the below steps for the admission process:
- Apply for the qualifying exam online – NCHMCT JEE 2020. Candidates can either apply for the exam via the college portal or through the official portal of NCHMCT JEE.
- Based on the score and rank obtained, candidates would be shortlisted for counselling. The allotment of institute is based on merit cum performance in the online entrance test, which would further decide the candidate’s selection in IHM, Gurdaspur.
Students who wish to apply for the diploma courses in IHM, Gurdaspur may follow the below steps for the admission process:
- The application form is accepted via offline mode.
- Candidates must check if they are eligible to apply for the course.
- If eligible, candidates will have to download the form and fill up all the details appropriately.
- Along with the form comes a medical certificate which needs to be filled up by a registered medical practitioner, and submitted to the college with the application form.
- Candidates must pay the fees offline by downloading the fee-deposit slip which contains the bank details.
- The selection will take place based on their merit of 10+2 examination marks.
- In case of selection, fee will have to be deposited within the stipulated/notified time, failing which seat will be given to the candidate next on the merit list.
Read more: IHM Gurdaspur Admission
The opening cut-off rank for IHM Gurdaspur in NCHMCT JEE in the previous year was 5291 for open category candidates, and 14378 for the OBC category candidates. For looking at other IHM cut-offs, go to this link -NCHMCT Cutoff.
IHM Gurdaspur Placements
The placement overview of the year 2018-19 shows that a lot of renowned companies and food chains participated in the placement process at Gurdaspur. The college has shown a 100% placement rate i.e. all the students who participated in the process have been placed.
- The average package is around 3.5-4 lakhs p.a.
- Some of the popular hotel groups and companies that have recruited students in the previous academic year include – The InterContinental Hotels Group, The Oberoi Group, The Park Hotels, ITC Hotels, Jaypee Hotels & Resorts, Lemon Tree Hotels, Burger King, Club Mahindra, Le Meridien, JW Marriott and Hyatt Regency.
Click here IHM Gurdaspur Placement
IHM Gurdaspur Scholarships
Scholarships are provided to students based on their performance at college.
Read more: IHM Gurdaspur Scholarships
IHM Gurdaspur Facilities
Following are the facilities provided by the college to cater to the needs of the students:
- Hostel:The college offers separate hostel facilities for both boys and girls. The boys hostel has the capacity to accommodate 232 students (120 for first year and 112 for second & third year) and has a well-built volleyball court and an in-house gymnasium. The girls hostel can accommodate 60 students and has a well-built badminton court and a table-tennis facility.
- Library:The college provides students with a well-stocked library with latest books, national and international journals in the areas of Hotel, Tourism, Hospitality, Travel and Management. It also has video tapes and multimedia resources that would help students to understand the subject to a large extent.
- Computer Lab:The computer lab consists of 20 terminals on a LAN network with the latest multimedia systems with good internet connectivity available for all the students. In the lab, students understand HMS and other application packages.
- Food Production Labs:All the food production labs are fully equipped with indigenous equipment including advanced training kitchen, quantity training kitchen, basic training kitchen, bakery, patisserie and larder.
- Restaurant:The restaurant serves food prepared by chefs-in-the-making and is managed by the Student Services Personnel. Here, students are taught F&B services via practical demonstrations.
- Laundry:The college has a well-equipped laundry facility which is automated and also helps in training the students in Guest Room Management.
- Front Office:The college has a front-office which is used to train the students in handling situations in a real-life front office scenario. Students are trained here through role plays, front-office exercises, property management systems and accounting.
- Executive Development Center:This center is designed on the standards of a boutique hotel and will provide in-house training experience to all the students in hotel management. It consists of ten fully-furnished rooms, a restaurant, a conference or banquet hall etc., This is almost in its finishing stages, and its addition to the institution will improve the already existing top-rated infrastructure of the institute.
IHM Gurdaspur Faculty
The faculty at IHM, Gurdaspur is highly qualified in the field of hotel management and are committed to imparting strong foundations of knowledge in the students. The institute has 14 dedicated professors who graduated from good colleges pertaining to hotel management. The number of people working in each of the faculty positions at IHM, Gurdaspur is as follows:
- Head of Department: 2
- Senior Lecturer: 3
- Lecturer: 3
- Assistant Lecturer: 4
- Teaching Associate: 2
Also check IHM Gurdaspur Faculty
IHM Gurdaspur FAQs
Ques. What is the fees structure for all the programs at IHM, Gurdaspur?
|Program Name||Fees (in total)|
|B.Sc. HHM||Rs. 3.3 lakhs|
|Diploma in Food Production||Rs. 47,242|
|Diploma in Bakery & Confectionary||Rs. 47,242|
|Diploma in Food & Beverage Service||Rs. 41,242|
|Diploma in Housekeeping||Rs. 35,242|
|Diploma in Front Office||Rs. 35,242|
Ques. Is IHM, Gurdaspur a good college?
Ques. What are the documents required while applying for an admission in this college?
- Attested Photocopy of proof of age.
- Attested copy of proof of educational qualification.
- Fitness certificate from a registered MBBS Doctor on the attached form.
- Six Passport size Photographs
- Character Certificate from the head of the Institute (school/college) last attended.
- Attested copy of reserved category certificate from appropriate authority, if applicable.
Ques. Is there any relaxation for students having reservations?
Ques. Is there any particular uniform for the college?