BUMS is 4.5 years long Bachelor level degree along with 1 year of internship, in which students are taught about the basic types of Unani treatments. The various topics include Exercise, Cupping, Diaphoresis, Diuresis, Turkish bath, etc.
Students who have successfully completed their 10+2 (intermediate) from a recognized board of education are eligible for this bachelor course of Unani Medicine & Surgery. But the eligibility might change depending on the institution.
Read more: NEET made Compulsory for all the AYUSH Undergraduate Courses including BUMS.
Admission to this course is granted on the basis of entrance exam scores. After shortlisting the candidates on the basis of entrance exam ranks, the colleges usually take a counselling session for final selection of candidates.
The average fee charged by colleges which offer this BUMS course ranges between INR 50,000 and INR 6,30,000 for the entire course. It can vary depending upon the college the student has chosen. Some of the top colleges are mentioned in the table below.
|Collegedunia Ratings||College Name||Location||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees|
|8.8||Dr. Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan Rajasthan Ayurved University||Jaipur||Entrance Based||INR 1,30,000|
|8.1||Maharashtra University of Health Sciences||Nashik||Entrance Based||INR 23,000|
|7.7||Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences||Vijayawada||Entrance Based||INR 60,000|
|7.7||Deoband Unani Medical College||Saharanpur||Entrance Based||INR 2,04,000|
|7.5||Jamia Hamdard University||New Delhi||Entrance Based||INR 155,000|
The curriculum is made in such a way so that the students get knowledge about all the techniques and procedures that are involved in Unani Medicine. The subjects taught in this course include Regimental Therapy (ilaj -bit- Tadbeer), Cauterization, Purging, Pharmacotherapy (ilaj-bit-Dawa), Surgery (Jarahat), Venesection, Massage, Emesis, Leeching, Dietotherapy (ilaj-bil-Ghiza), etc.
The future prospects of this course are good. The graduates have the opportunity in the sectors like Unani Medical Colleges, Unani Clinic, Unani Charitable Institutions, Unani Consultancies, Unani Research Institutes, etc. Some of the common job designations include Hakeem, Lecturer, Consultant, Scientist, Private practice, Pharmacist, Therapist.
|Top BUMS Colleges in Uttar Pradesh||Top BUMS Colleges in Andhra Pradesh||Top BUMS Colleges in Tamil Nadu|
The average salary that one can expect after completing a Bachelor's degree in Unani Medicine ranges between INR 3,00,000 to INR 10,00,000 per annum, depending on the skills and expertise of the candidates. With more and more experience, the salary range will also increase.
After completing this course, if the candidate wants to study further, then he or she can do a MD or MS in related specialisation. After completing Master’s, they can even go for a PhD and become teachers in Unani Medical Colleges.
BUMS Admission Process
- Students get admission for the BUMS course on the basis of Entrance Exams.
- Most of the colleges also release a cut off percentage in 10+2 for the admission process.
- Students who are able to fulfill the cut off percentage in their 10+2 score are considered eligible to get the admission.
- Some of the state level and national level exams include NEET, KEAM (state level exam), CPAT, CPMEE, etc for admission in the BUMS course.
- Entrance exams have objective type questions from Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
The stepwise admission process is discussed below.
- Step 1 - Apply for the entrance exam: Students must apply for the entrance exam of the colleges where they wish to get admission. The notification for the application is generally released in the month of January-February.
- Step 2 - After Qualifying the entrance exam, apply for the counselling process: After the results of entrance exams are declared, the counselling process will be started, where the candidates will have to apply.
- Step 3 - Shortlisting Process: The candidates who will be alloted seats during the counselling process will be called for document verification and seat confirmation.
- Step 4 - Enrollment: The eligible students will be granted admission to the course.
Check the Admission Process of Jamia Hamdard in detail.
The eligibility for pursuing BUMS is:
- The candidates must complete 10+2 with a minimum 50% aggregate score in Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English.
- The candidates must be more than 17 years of age.
- The candidates must be medically fit, as they may have to go through medical tests before admission.
- Studying Urdu at school level will be an added advantage.
Also, go through the complete eligibility criteria for NEET Exam.
BUMS Entrance Exams
There are many state level and national level entrance exams for admission in BUMS. Some colleges might have their own entrance exam. Students can get the details of those exams from the respective college websites. Some of the entrance exams are given below:
- NEET- National Eligibility cum Entrance Test is the pre-medical test through which the students in India are able to get admission in medical courses. This is a national level entrance exam.
- KEAM - Kerala Engineering Architecture Medical is an entrance exam that allows students to join Engineering, Architecture and Ayurvedic and Unani Medical courses in the state of Kerala.
- CPAT - Combined Pre-AYUSH Test, this entrance exam allows the students who are seeking admission to UG courses that are under the AYUSH system – BUMS, BAMS, and BHMS.
- CPMEE – Through this entrance exam, the students can get admission in MBBS courses in Homeopathy, Unani, etc. in any college in Uttarakhand.
Important details related to these exams are given in the table below.
|Exam Name||Conducting Body||Application Period||Exam Date||Exam Mode|
|NEET||NTA||Till February 09, 2020||September 13, 2020||Offline|
|KEAM||CEE Kerala||February 01 to February 29, 2020||July 16, 2020||Offline|
|CPMEE||ACEE Uttarakhand||To be announced||To be announced||Offline|
How to Prepare for BUMS Entrance Exams?
Students must have a clear idea about the syllabus and the pattern of the exam. The general syllabus includes:
- Biology, Chemistry, and Physics of 10+2 level.
- Apart from this, there may be a General Knowledge (GK) and English section as well.
Students can prepare well for these exams if they follow a timetable and give at least 4-5 hours a day for the preparation.
- Students should prepare the Biology section thoroughly as most exams will have more questions from biology.
- They should follow NCERT and other textbooks along with some objective question books for the better preparation of exams.
- They should try solving tricky questions in Physics as much as they can. They should also try to solve them as quickly as possible.
- In Chemistry concentrate more on Organic Chemistry and Physical Chemistry part.
- Before the exam try to solve as many mock tests and previous year papers as you can. This will help boost the confidence level before the exam.
- Since the exams are time-based, the more the students will practice giving mock tests based on time, the faster they will get before the exam.
Read more on NEET Question Pattern, Marking Scheme and more!
How to Get Admission in a Good BUMS College?
- Since most of the top BUMS colleges grant admission on the basis of entrance exams, the students must focus and prepare well for the exam so that they are able to score good marks and clear the eligibility.
- Some exams have negative markings, so students must be careful while attending the questions. They must attend only those questions which they are sure about.
- Since pursuing a medical course is every student's dream, so automatically the competition will be high. Students should try to score as much as they can in the entrance exam.
- The key to cracking these entrance exams is to prepare the analytical types of questions. This will give the students an upper hand on the day of the exam.
- Students must keep track of all the important dates of the entrance exams, counseling, and other admission related procedure dates so that they don’t miss any opportunities.
Go through the full list of Top BUMS Colleges in India.
BUMS: What Is It About?
- In this course, the students are taught about the various techniques and procedures that are involved in the Unani medicine practice.
- Some of the subjects taught include Regimental therapy (ilaj -bit- Tadbeer), Pharmacotherapy (ilaj-bit-Dawa), Dietotherapy (ilaj-bil-Ghiza), Surgery (Jarahat), etc.
- Knowledge of Venesection, Cupping, Diaphoresis, Diuresis, Turkish bath, Massage, Cauterization, Purging, Emesis, Exercise, Leeching, is given in-depth to the students.
- This course of BUMS falls under Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, and Homeopathy (AYUSH) and is controlled and monitored by the Central Council of Indian Medicine.
- This is a system of alternative medicines similar to Ayurveda. It follows the principle of four elements which are - signs, symptoms, laboratory features, and mijaz, to diagnose treating any disease.
BUMS Course Highlights
Some of the major highlights of the BUMS course are tabulated in the table given below.
|Course Fee||INR 50,000 to INR 6,30,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3,00,000 to INR 10,00,000|
|Recruitment Areas||Unani Medical colleges, Other medical institutions.|
|Job Positions||Hakeem, Lecturer, Consultant, Scientist, Private practice, Pharmacist, Therapist.|
Why Study BUMS?
There are many benefits to pursuing a BUMS. Some of them are:
- Students gain an in-depth knowledge of the fundamentals of Unani medicine and its various techniques, which are useful in pursuing a career in this line.
- As the day passes, the traditional ways of medication like the Ayurved and Unani remedies are growing more and more popular.
- Handsome salary packages are offered with the average salary of INR 3,00,000 to 10,00,000.
- A large number of employment opportunities are available in this field.
- It will further open new doors to thriving career opportunities.
- A high level of practical skills and technical skills are important to excel in this field of work.
BUMS vs BAMS
Ayurveda and Unani are very closely related fields and so Bachelor of Unani Medicine and Bachelor of Ayurveda are very similar courses. Below we have compared the two courses on the basis of parameters like Subjects, Fees, Salary, etc.
|Parameters||BUMS||Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery (BAMS)|
|Course Overview||BUMS is a specialized course for students who are seeking to get into Unani medicines and want to have a career in this field.||BAMS course involves the study of Ayurveda and its practices in the treatment of various diseases and enhancing health.|
|Admission Process||Entrance Based||Entrance Based|
|Eligibility||10+2 with a minimum 50% aggregate in PCB and English.||10+2 with a minimum 50% aggregate in PCB and English.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 50,000 to INR 6,30,000||INR 50,000 to INR 1,50,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3,00,000 to INR 10,00,000||INR 3,00,000 to INR 8,00,000|
|Top Colleges||Jamia Hamdard, Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Sanskriti University, Glocal University.||Institute of Medical Sciences, National Institute of Ayurveda, Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Gujarat Ayurveda University.|
Source: College Websites
Also, check the Top BAMS Colleges in India.
BUMS Top Colleges
This course is generally offered by Ayurvedic Universities, Ayush University and Medical Universities of various states. Some deemed universities also offer this course. Some of the top colleges offering this course are listed below.
|College Name||Location||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees|
|Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences||Vijayawada||Entrance Based||INR 60,000|
|Jamia Hamdard University||New Delhi||Entrance Based||INR 155,000|
|Maharashtra University of Health Sciences||Nashik||Entrance Based||INR 23,000|
|Deoband Unani Medical College||Saharanpur||Entrance Based||INR 2,04,000|
|Dr. Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan Rajasthan Ayurved University||Jaipur||Entrance Based||INR 1,30,000|
|Kashmir Tibbia College Hospital and Research Centre||Bandipora||Entrance Based||INR 1,10,000|
|Aligarh Ayurvedic Unani Medical College and ACN Hospital||Aligarh||Entrance Based||INR 2,64,000|
|Guru Ravidas Ayurved University||Hoshiarpur||Entrance Based||INR 1,05,000|
|Luqman Unani Medical College and Hospital||Bijapur||Entrance Based||INR 1,75,500|
|Mohammadia Tibbia College||Malegaon||Entrance Based||INR 80,000|
Source: College Websites
In the below mentioned table, we have compared the top BUMS Colleges in India providing this course on the basis of parameters like Fees, Eligibility, Admission Process, etc.
|College Name||Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences||Jamia Hamdard University||Maharashtra University of Health Sciences|
|Overview||Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences is a state university. It offers UG, PG, diploma, and super specialty courses. It also offers doctoral programs.||Jamia Hamdard University (JHU) is Deemed to be University recommended by UGC, it was set up by the formation of a small clinic of Unani medicine, and later on, it became to be a university.||MUHS Nashik was established with a view of well-mannered and systematic instruction, teaching, training, and research in modern medicine methodology and Indian Systems of Medicine.|
|Average Fees||INR 60,000||INR 1,55,000||INR 23,000|
|Admission Process||Entrance Based||Entrance Based||Entrance Based|
|Eligibility||10+2 with PCB||10+2 with PCB||10+2 with PCB|
|Top Recruiters||Unani Medical Colleges, Other medical Institutions, Unani and Ayurvedic Research Institutes, Government Hospitals, Unani Pharmaceutical industries like Hamdard, etc.||Unani Medical Colleges, Other medical Institutions, Unani and Ayurvedic Research Institutes, Government Hospitals, Unani Pharmaceutical industries like Hamdard, etc.||Unani Medical Colleges, Other medical Institutions, Unani and Ayurvedic Research Institutes, Government Hospitals, Unani Pharmaceutical industries like Hamdard, etc.|
Source: College Websites
The course consists of four professionals. The major subjects taught in this course are listed in the table given below.
|1st Professional||2nd Professional|
|Arabic and Mantiq wa Falsafa||Tareekh-e-Tib|
|Kulliyat Umoor E Tabiya||Tahaffuzi wa Samaji Tib|
|Tashreeh Ul Badan||Ilmul Advia|
|Munafe Ul Azha||Mahiyatul Amraz|
|3rd Professional||4th Professional|
|Communication Skills||Moalajat – I|
|Ilmul Saidla wa Murakkaba||Moalajat – I I|
|Tibbe Qanooni wa Ilmul Samoom||Amraze Niswan|
|Sareeriyat wa Usoole Ilaj||Ilmul Qabalat wa Naumaulood|
|Ilaj Bit Tadbeer||Ilmul Jarahat|
|Amraz-e-Atfal||Ain, Uzn, Anaf, Halaq wa Asnan|
BUMS Job Prospects and Career Options
After completing a BUMS, students will get plenty of opportunities in various medical job sectors.
Various job profiles such as- Hakeem, Lecturer, Consultant, Scientist, Private practice, Pharmacist, Therapist, etc are available for the BUMS graduates to apply for.
Jobs are available in Unani Medical colleges, Unani Charitable institutions, Unani Clinic, Unani medicine store, Unani and ayurvedic Research institutes, Unani Consultancies, Unani medicine system education Training institutes, Life science industries, and Healthcare community.
Some of the major job profiles are listed in the table below.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Hakeem||A Doctor who practices Unani Medicine and Practices to treat his patients. He performs treatments of all the major diseases and also performs surgeries according to Unani Medicine rules.||INR 3,50,000|
|Unani Institute Lecturer||Unani Institute Lecturer teaches various Unani Medicine Practices to the students of the various Unani Medicine Institutes.||INR 4,50,000|
|Unani Consultant||A person who gives health and medication advice to various people personally. They follow Unani rules and processes to solve health problems.||INR 3,00,000|
|Unani Therapist||A Unani Therapist provides Unani therapy services to people. They can either do private practice or can be recruited by hospitals.||INR 2,50,000|
|Unani Medicine Pharmacist||They own Unani Medicine shops. They have the authority to sell any kind of Unani Medicine and they can also give advice to the buyers on which medicine to buy for which disease.||INR 4,00,000|
|Unani Chemist||They can produce Unani Medicine for selling purposes. They either sell it directly to the patients or give them to medicine shops for sale.||INR 6,50,000|
BUMS Future Scope
- After completing BUMS, the students have options to either go for higher studies or apply for a suitable job position.
- The option for pursuing higher studies will benefit the student in the long run as it would add more value and add knowledge to their career.
- The students willing to go for higher studies can pursue MD or MS in related specialisation.
- There is a vast sector where research related to Unani medicine is carried out. Interested students can check out this option as Unani is the fourth populous medication system after Allopathy, Ayurveda, and Homeopathy.
- Other than these, job roles such as Consultant, Scientist, Private practice, Pharmacist, Therapist, Medical assistant, Public health specialist, etc. are also available.
Check the Complete details of the Master's courses offered by the National Institute of Unani Medicine, Bangalore
Ques. Which one of BUMS and Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery is better?
Ans. Both of these courses are quite similar to each other but the students yet they are different from each other when it comes to techniques and principles. Both Unani medicine and Ayurvedic medicine is popular among certain sections of the population. So it’s upon the student's interest which course they want to pursue.
Ques. Can a BUMS course be pursued online?
Ans. No, unfortunately, no college offers this course online. Although some online teaching organizations may offer this course.
Ques. What are the job opportunities that a student can get with a BUMS?
Ans. Some of the common job opportunities that one can get includes
- Private practice
Ques. Is there any entrance exam for admission in colleges?
Ans. Some of the state level and national level exams include KEAM (state level exam), CPAT, CPMEE, or NEET for admission in the BUMS course.
Ques. What is the average cost of admission to BUMS?
Ans. The average cost to study BUMS is 50,000 to 6.3 Lacs for three years.
Ques. What can be done after completing a BUMS?
Ans. After this, the students can opt for higher education or can opt for jobs in medical institutions and medical facilities.