What is MA Malayalam?
MA Malayalam is a Master Degree language specialisation course. It is extremely popular in Kerala, and is taught in many reputed universities across India. The course is two years long when done in full time mode. This course is offered in both full time and distance learning modes.
To be eligible for this course, the candidates must complete graduation in Malayalam from a recognized institution. Most colleges set 50% aggregate in graduation as minimum marks required for admission to this course.
The admission to this course can be both merit based and entrance based, depending on the college. The admission to universities like AMU, MGU, etc are granted on the basis of entrance exams. But many other universities like MKU also grant merit based admission.
MA Malayalam course includes every aspect of the Malayalam language and literature, its history and literary importance. Some of the common subjects taught in MA Malayalam Course include Ancient and Medieval Literature, Romanticism in Poetry, Drama and its different Aspects, Modernisation in Malayalam Literature, among others.
The average annual fees for studying MA Malayalam in regular mode ranges from as low as INR 3,000 to as high as INR 1,15,000. The top universities and colleges offering this course are tabulated below.
|NIRF University Ranking 2021||Name of the Institute||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees||Average Annual Salary|
|17||Aligarh Muslim University||Entrance Based||INR 1,18,570||INR 5,20,000|
|30||Mahatma Gandhi University||Entrance Based||INR 20,000||INR 3,00,000|
|54||Calicut University||Through PGCAP||INR 3,570||INR 2,20,000|
|60||Madurai Kamaraj University||Merit Based||INR 4,585||INR 1,80,000|
|-||Mahatma Gandhi College||Merit Based||INR 3,390||INR 2,00,000|
Apart from these, distance learning schools of universities like Calicut University offer this course in the distance learning mode also.
After completing MA Malayalam, the candidates will be able to find jobs as School Teachers, Language Tutors, Translators, Columnists, Writers, Elocutionists, etc.
The average annual salary earned by MA Malayalam candidates ranges between INR 2,50,000 to 5,00,000. The salary will largely depend on the position and skills of the candidates.
After completing MA Malayalam, if the candidate wants to study further, they can write research papers and complete their PhD in Malayalam. They can also do certification courses in creative writing, recitation, etc to upgrade their skills.
See more: Top MA Malayalam Colleges in India
What is the MA Malayalam Admission Process?
The admission to MA Malayalam Course can be either merit based or entrance based. The general admission process is discussed below.
- Universities like MGU, AMU etc conduct their own entrance exams. For admission to these universities, the candidates will have to apply and qualify in the entrance exams first.
- After the entrance exams, the universities will shortlist the successful candidates on the basis of their scores in the exam. The shortlisted candidates will be called for document verification and Enrollment process.
- Some universities like MKU and many top colleges offering MA Malayalam Course offer merit based admission as well. The candidates will have to apply to the respective college once the forms are released.
- The colleges will release a cutoff percentage for the course. The candidates with scores above the cutoff will be called for admission.
- The candidates will have to produce relevant documents to prove their marks and other eligibility criteria before taking final enrollment.
- After the candidates are found eligible they will be offered admission to the course.
What is the MA Malayalam Eligibility Criteria?
The eligibility criteria for admission to MA Malayalam Course varies from college to college, but the general eligibility criteria is discussed below.
- The candidates willing to pursue MA in Malayalam must complete graduation, preferably with honours in Malayalam, from a recognized institution.
- The minimum required marks in graduation varies from college to college. It ranges between 45-60% aggregate marks.
- The candidates must be very fluent in both written and spoken Malayalam. They must have read Malayalam as a compulsory subject in their graduation.
|MA In Malayalam Colleges In Kerala||MA In Malayalam Colleges In Tamil Nadu||MA In Malayalam Colleges In Andhra Pradesh||MA In Malayalam Colleges In Uttar Pradesh|
Which are the Top MA Malayalam Entrance Exams?
Though there is no national level entrance exam for admission to MA Malayalam course, various universities conduct their own entrance exams, some of which are discussed below.
- AMU Entrance Exam: Each department of Aligarh Muslim University conducts their own entrance exams for admission to the UG and PG courses offered by them. These exams for PG admission are generally subject specific, and consist of questions from topics taught in the UG level.
- MGU Entrance Exam: Mahatma Gandhi University is one of the most reputed universities in Kerala. It conducts a Common Entrance Test for admission to the in-house courses as well as for admission to the colleges affiliated by the university. After the exams, the seats are allocated through centralised counselling on the basis of ranks of the candidates.
- Calicut University Entrance Exam: Calicut University also conducts University level entrance exam for admission to PG courses offered by the University and all its affiliated colleges. The candidates are alloted seats on the basis of their ranks through Centralised Admission Process (PGCAP).
Some of the important dates related to these entrance exams are tabulated below.
|Exam Name||Conducted By||Mode of Exam||Form Release Date||Last Date to Apply||Exam Date||Result Date|
|AMU Entrance Exam||AMU||Offline||January 16, 2020||August 21, 2020||December 05, 2020||Not yet declared|
|MGU CAT||MGU||Online||February 20, 2020||June 15, 2020||October 06-07, 2020||December 03, 2020|
|Calicut University Entrance Exam||Calicut University||Offline||August 27, 2020||October 03, 2020||Postponed due to COVID-19 situation||Yet to be declared|
How to Prepare for MA Malayalam Entrance Exams?
The entrance exams for MA Malayalam Course generally contain MCQs, Short Answer Type and Subjective Type Questions from the topics covered at the UG level. The candidates may follow the following preparation tips to perform better in these examinations.
- The candidates must be well aware of the syllabus of the examination. Generally, the questions are asked from the UG syllabus of that particular university. So, the candidates must check for the UG syllabus of that university university as well.
- The candidates must complete all the important topics well before the exam dates. This will help them to revise some of the important topics again at the end.
- The candidates must work on their writing skills, if they are preparing for an offline written examination.
- The candidates must practice grammar questions a lot. The grammar section generally contains tricky objective type questions. So, the candidates must clear all the concepts to attempt these questions well.
- The candidates must go through previous year question papers and sample question papers to get familiar with the type of questions asked.
- They should practice these question papers in an exam-like environment and within the time limit of the examination.
How to Get Admission in Top MA Malayalam Colleges?
To get admission in top MA Malayalam colleges, the candidates must keep in mind the following points.
- The cutoffs in the top colleges accepting merit based admission ranges between 65-75%. So, the candidates must look to score high in graduation level.
- The candidates must score well in the entrance test. They should try to attempt at least 90% of the total question paper to ensure good scores.
- The candidates must be careful while filling the application forms. Mistakes in application will lead to cancellation of the candidature.
- The candidates must be careful while filling the choices during online choice filling. They should select appropriate colleges according to their marks to ensure admission.
- The candidates must keep a track of all the required documents and submit all the documents properly during the document verification.
MA Malayalam: What is it About?
MA Malayalam is a detailed postgraduate course in Malayalam language which covers every aspect of Malayalam language, Malayalam Literature, the history of the language, the culture of the Malayali people, among others.
- The course divides the Malayalam Literature into various sections like Prose, Poetry and Drama and studies each section in detail.
- It covers various types of Prose, Poetry and Drama like Classic, Romantic, Patriotic, Nationalist, etc.
- The course also studies the effects of various events and changes like Nationalisms, Modernisation, etc over Malayalam Literature.
- The candidate would learn to distinguish between the ancient, medieval and modern Malayalam Literature. They would also learn the characteristics of each of them.
- Along with these, the course will also deal with the History of the language, including its origin, rise and developments. It will also talk about the major personalities involved in the development of the language.
- It will also briefly touch the culture, society and lifestyle of the Malayali people.
- After completing this course, the candidates will have a complete knowledge over the language. They will be able to comprehend, develop and critically analyse any Malayalam Literature easily.
MA Malayalam: Course Highlights
The major highlights of the MA Malayalam Course are tabulated below.
|Full-Form||Master of Arts in Malayalam|
|Level of Study||Post Graduate|
|Course Duration||2 years|
|Eligibility||Graduation in Malayalam|
|Admission Process||Merit-Based or Entrance-Based|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 3,000 to 50,000|
|Average Salary||INR 2,50,000 to 5,00,000|
|Job Options||School Teachers, Language Tutors, Translators, Columnists, Writers, Elocutionists, etc.|
|Areas of Employment||Schools, Tutorial Homes, Junior Colleges, Publication Houses, Print Media, etc.|
Why Study MA Malayalam?
There are many reasons for which you would like to study MA in Malayalam, some of which are listed below.
- After completing MA Malayalam, the candidates will get eligible to work as teachers in higher secondary and junior college level.
- They will also be eligible for multiple government jobs in various departments related to literature, culture, etc.
- The MA Malayalam candidates can also work as writers, columnists and journalists in Malayalam language.
- The candidates with MA degree are generally offered higher packages starting from INR 2,50,000 and going up to INR 5,00,000 or even higher, per annum.
- The candidates who want to do critical research in future will also have to complete MA in order to go for higher studies.
- Most of the publication houses who employ writers in different languages also prefer MA candidates over BA candidates.
Course Comparison: MA Malayalam vs MA Malayalam Literature
While MA Malayalam includes all the aspects of Malayalam language and culture, MA Malayalam Literature focuses only on the literature part. The two courses have been compared in the table given below.
|Parameters||MA Malayalam||MA Malayalam Literature|
|Full Form||Master of Arts in Malayalam||Master of Arts in Malayalam Literature|
|Overview||MA Malayalam not only covers Literature subjects like prose, poetry and drama, but it also studies the history of the language, the effects of various historical events on the language, and its rise and development.||MA Malayalam Literature focuses only on the various aspects of the core Malayalam Literature. It is more of a critical course involving deep critical analysis of the various Literature works, their historic significance, and their future scope.|
|Duration||2 years||2 years|
|Eligibility||Graduation in Malayalam||Graduation in Malayalam / Malayalam Literature|
|Admission Process||Merit-Based or Entrance-Based||Merit-Based or Entrance-Based|
|Top Colleges||AMU, MGU, Calicut University, among others||Kerala University, Calicut University, among others.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 3,000 to 50,000||INR 7,000 to 50,000|
|Job Profiles||School Teachers, Language Tutors, Translators, Columnists, Writers, Elocutionists, etc.||Newspaper Columnists, Literary Critics, Scriptwriters, Writers, Elocutionists, etc.|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 2,50,000 to 5,00,000||INR 2,50,000 to 4,50,000|
Which are the Top MA Malayalam Colleges?
The top colleges offering MA in Malayalam are tabulated below along with average fees.
|Name of the College||Average Annual Fees||Average Package Offer|
|St. Joseph's College||INR 5,000||INR 4,00,000|
|Maharaja's College||INR 5,200||INR 3,50,000|
|Mar Ivanios College||INR 3,525||-|
|CMS College||INR 8,023||INR 4,50,000|
|Catholicate College||INR 3,550||-|
|Deva Matha College||INR 3,318||-|
|Devaswom Board College||INR 3,715||-|
|Fatima Mata National College||INR 3,890||-|
|KKTM Government College||INR 3,730||-|
|Panampilly Memorial Government College||INR 7,685||-|
What is the MA Malayalam Distance Learning?
Many Open Universities and Distance Learning Schools offer MA Malayalam Course in distance learning mode.
- The admission to these courses are granted on the basis of merit 9f the candidates.
- The candidates will be provided all the required study materials. Sometimes they are also provided recorded video lectures if required.
- The candidates will have to appear physically for the semester exams and the yearly exams.
- The average fees for these courses ranges between INR 10,000 to 15,000.
The two top universities offering MA Malayalam in Distance mode are tabulated below.
|University Name||Duration of the Course||Average Fees|
|School of Distance Education, Calicut University||2 years||INR 10,000 to 15,000|
|Kerala University School of Distance Education||2 years||INR 12,500|
College Comparison: MA Malayalam
The top colleges offering MA Malayalam Course have been compared in the table given below on the basis of their rankings, fees, etc.
|Parameters||Aligarh Muslim University||Mahatma Gandhi University||Calicut University|
|Overview||Aligarh Muslim University is one of the most reputed Muslim minority institutions in India. It offers education from class I to doctorate level. However the MA Malayalam Course is self financed in this university.||Mahatma Gandhi University is the most reputed university in Kerala and one of the top 50 universities in India. It is a NAAC A graded University with around 300 affiliated colleges under its shed. It offers UG, PG and PhD courses.||Calicut University is currently the largest university in Kerala with around 400 affiliated colleges. It is also the second oldest university in Kerala. The university offers multiple courses in both regular and distance modes.|
|Admission Process||Entrance Based||Entrance Based||Entrance Based|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 1,18,570||INR 20,000||INR 3,570|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 5,20,000||INR 3,00,000||INR 2,20,000|
|Top Recruiters||L&T, Voltas, TCS, Wipro, etc.||Dell, Hetero, Shanta Biotech, etc.||HCL, Infosys, TCS, Tech Mahindra, etc.|
What is the MA Malayalam Syllabus?
The MA Malayalam Course is divided into 4 semesters. The semester wise breakup of the subjects taught in MA Malayalam courses is given in the table below.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Ancient and Medieval Literature||Pattu Manipravala / Ezhuthachan|
|Modern Literature I||Kunchan Nambiar / Attakkatha|
|The Culture of Kerala||Romantic Poetry|
|Influence of Nationalism in Malayalam Literature||Short Story|
|Kerala Culture Before Kollam Era||Linguistic and Literary Studies|
|Performing Arts of Kerala||Translation skills|
|Modernisation of Kerala||Comparative Dravidian|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Modern Literature II||Modern Poetry|
|Grammar||Media and Literature|
|Literary Criticism||Grammatical Theories|
|Language Planning||Dramatic Theories|
|History of Malayalam Language||Comparative Literature|
What are MA Malayalam Job Profiles?
MA Malayalam candidates generally get jobs in schools and colleges, publishing houses, print media, etc. Some of the common job profiles offered to these candidates are tabulated below along with the corresponding average expected salary.
|Job Profiles||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|School Teacher||School Teacher teaches the language to the school students. He is responsible for taking classes, setting up assignments and question papers and evaluating the students.||INR 3,00,000|
|Lecturer in Junior College||Lecturers in junior colleges teach the language to class 11 and 12 students. They also set question papers and assess the candidates.||INR 3,10,000|
|Language Tutors||The language tutors open their own language teaching instructions and offer language training to anyone who wants to learn the language.||INR 2,50,000|
|Translator||Translators translate the literary work from one language to another, keeping intact the soul of the literature.||INR 4,50,000|
|Writer||Writers write novels, books, articles, and many other literary pieces which are published in various mediums.||INR 4,23,000|
|Literary Critic||Literary critics study and criticise or analyse any literary work in the Malayalam language.||INR 3,50,000|
|Newspaper Columnist||Newspaper columnists write columns about various events and news updates in the newspaper.||INR 5,00,000|
|Editor||Editors edit the already written works of the writers to check for any error. They also give suggestions to improve the writings.||INR 4,00,000|
|Copywriter||Copywriters check for grammatical, factual or any kind of error in a written piece. They ensure that the published version is error free.||INR 3,50,000|
What is the MA Malayalam Future Scope?
After completing MA Malayalam, there are various self employment and higher studies options available for the candidates, some of which are discussed below.
- MA Malayalam candidates can start their own malayalam training schools. They can also offer private tuitions.
- These candidates can also start their own blog and give insightful information in Malayalam language.
- If the candidates want to go for higher studies, they can enroll in the PhD Malayalam.
- For joining the PhD course, they will have to appear and qualify in UGC-NET first.
- They can also do independent research and critical reviews on various Malayalam Literature and publish their research papers.
- They can also prepare and appear in various government service examinations.
MA Malayalam: FAQs
Some frequently asked questions on MA Malayalam Course are discussed below.
Ques. Which are the Top universities offering MA Malayalam?
Ques. What is the average fee for studying MA Malayalam from AMU?
Ques. Which Jobs will I get after completing my MA in Malayalam?
Ques. Do MGU Kottayam conducts any entrance exam for admission to MA Malayalam Course?
Ques. Does Calicut University offer placement assistance to MA Malayalam students?
Ques. What is the average annual salary earned by a MA Malayalam candidate?
Ques. Can I work in Newspapers after completing MA in Malayalam?
Ques. Should I consider starting my own coaching institute after completing MA Malayalam?
Ques. What is the average annual fee for studying MA Malayalam Course?
Ques. Which university offers MA Malayalam in Distance learning mode?